What do car collectors collect besides cars ?.

nick8086

Believe I'll stick with spark plugs!   Not sure I could even afford the set of wrenches it would take to work on a train!

Terry

On 9/11/2016 at 10:17 AM, Plyroadking said:

Until some #@$%×&!!!!! Pulls out right in front of you and "totals" your car and insurance gives you 10 cents on the dollar you have invested because you don't have notarized receipts for everything you've spent the last ten years doing to the car.

This is why you need to understand how your insurance company covers your losses. You were under insured as many are. I was once too, but learned my lesson ($50,000 cup of coffee is what I got, long story) 

Understand your policy, agreed value on any collectible. Your receipts have no value, your car in its current condition is how its valued. If you put in a $5000 stereo, it does not make it worth $5000 more. If you insure the stereo separately, then maybe. (probably $2500 at best)

4 hours ago, Amphicar BUYER said:

This is why you need to understand how your insurance company covers your losses. You were under insured as many are. I was once too, but learned my lesson ($50,000 cup of coffee is what I got, long story) 

Understand your policy, agreed value on any collectible. Your receipts have no value, your car in its current condition is how its valued. If you put in a $5000 stereo, it does not make it worth $5000 more. If you insure the stereo separately, then maybe. (probably $2500 at best)

I thought I understood very well how my agreed value policy worked, State Farm and I agreed on a set monetary compensation amount, or agreed value, that I would receive from them, should the car ever be deemed a total loss. That's how they explained it to me and that's what I thought I was paying for. Two years ago the car was involved in a wreck and was deemed totaled because replacement parts were "unavailable" the at fault driver's insurance or Flo, offered $3,200 for me to walk away from the car, I declined as it was a third of my agreed value. I called States Farm and asked for my check minus the buy back amount, and then they can go after Flo. The first thing my agent said was that they'd be sending an appraiser out to determine the car's fair market value and they would only give me that appraised value for the car. I practically fell out of my high chair, I asked what the purpose was of the agreed value policy if they don't hold up their end of the agreement??!! I never did get a straight answer and a week later I was insured by Grundy and kicked the "good neighbors" to the curb. 

I ended up taking it in the shorts from Flo on the car, and then returned the favor on the injury claim to make up the difference.

Oh they want you to think you know what will happen, but when it comes time to pay out, that is when you find out. My sister is fighting an insurance company now. A rental camper got tossed in a tornado in July. Her insurance guy said she was fully covered, not so. The contents were covered, but the rental was not. So "fully covered" was really a general statement and not an accurate statement.

Find out how the terms they use are meant. "Agreed Value" means exactly what to them and to you? It is designed to screw over the consumer, not to help in any way.

• Like 1

Neon signs and clocks !  I like the originals... not so much the repros... but, boy have they jumped in price!

I also have an unusual fetish for Foglamps from the 60's thru the 80's.  I recall seeing a pair of KMART (actually embossed on glass lens) for lamps i purchased in 83 for $12.95 N.O.S. in the  rows last year for $150!  still had the original 12.95 price sticker on it!

2 hours ago, Amphicar BUYER said:

Oh they want you to think you know what will happen, but when it comes time to pay out, that is when you find out. My sister is fighting an insurance company now. A rental camper got tossed in a tornado in July. Her insurance guy said she was fully covered, not so. The contents were covered, but the rental was not. So "fully covered" was really a general statement and not an accurate statement.

Find out how the terms they use are meant. "Agreed Value" means exactly what to them and to you? It is designed to screw over the consumer, not to help in any way.

Insurance is a scam to the worst degree.

Its the law that you have to have it and the insurers make it their business to try and get out of paying anything.

Disgusting !!!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 39BuickEight said:

Insurance is highly governed.  Maybe that's the problem?  Governments control the policy language and how claims are to be handled.  Insurers who don't follow the rules are subject to punishment.  

Maybe so, but most people just complain to each other.

I have gone to the insurance commission with my complaint and got good results.

If an insurance company would be fined when they cheat they would calculate the loss and continue to cheat.

Signs of course,  often winter themed.  As well as some lunch boxes I got after my wife started collecting them. (she stopped at around 100.  We actually only have probably a little over a dozen on display in a couple of spots.  The rest are in moving boxes.   These are some of my favorites that I put in my office on a display I made up to show them off.  The Hoppy is actually NOS and still has the owners name tag unused in a wax paper sleeve inside it. 

I'm one of those odd younger collectors that likes the older stuff.  I'm only 42. 

IMG_6333.JPG

IMG_6334.JPG

IMG_6335.JPG

IMG_6336.JPG

IMG_6337.JPG

IMG_6338.JPG

IMG_6339.JPG

IMG_6340.JPG

IMG_6341.JPG

IMG_6342.JPG

IMG_6343.JPG

• Like 5

I never wired it when I hung it.  In my new shop,  I'll wire it before I hang it.  I just tucked the wires up in each so they are their just not accessible with the letters hung.  That's a 40 foot wall they are on.  The new shop will have a 60 and a 72 foot wall so I should be able to find a spot for it. 

I have some other signs as well,  they are somewhat in storage until I get my new shop finished.  

• Like 1

Wow, I could spend hours (days!) in there looking around.  That's my kinda place.  Glad the thread got back on track,  Here are a few pics from my sheet music collection:

Terry

Yu Tell It or Jitney Bus Joy.jpg

Youre a good old car but you can't climb hills.jpg

As Long as the gas holds out.jpg

Automobile races 1900.jpg

Everybody has a Lizzyzine.jpg

You Can't Park Here.jpg

When Isabella Green went Automobiling.JPG

In My Little Ford sedan.JPG

• Like 3

Terry Bond,

Those were great!  Thanks for sharing them with us.   I always thought that the heyday of automobile-related music was the 1950s; however, judging from the illustrations of the cars shown on the music jackets, it looks like these songs were popular in the 20s and 30s.

Cheers,

Grog

• Like 1

Some more shots of junk I probably didn't really need but felt compelled to buy.

The black and white is a picture I did my first year out of High school when I was still heavily influenced by traditional hot rods and drag racing. 

The collages are of local theme parks.  My wife and I like to collect things related to vintage vacationing in the area. Which reminds me I have some stuff from local Dude ranches from the late 1940's-early 1960's  that I haven't dug through in a while. 

IMG_6441.JPG

IMG_6442.JPG

IMG_6443.JPG

IMG_6445.JPG

IMG_6446.JPG

IMG_6447.JPG

IMG_6453.JPG

IMG_6456.JPG

IMG_6457.JPG

IMG_6458.JPG

IMG_6459.JPG

IMG_6460.JPG

That was Story town.  Unfortunately they took that larger gauge train out (that they had the robbery on)  and just have the smaller gauge train over on the other side of the park left.  The new rollercoasters and water slide world got rid of part of Ghost town although the main area with the saloon and store fronts is still used.  A year or two ago they had a live cowboy show with a couple really good actors staging a bank robbery, but I don't think they had it this year.   I think few people appreciate the past and just want the new thrill. 

I was pretty young probably 10 or less the last time I went to Gas Light Village.  I remember it pretty well though. They had old cars and alot of trucks parked on the streets of the mocked up turn of the century village. They had a really neat old car museum with cars and scale models of planes and ships that were actually used filming movies. They also had a vaudville show in their Opera House along with a Keystone cops routine and some tin lizzies you could drive (on a rail of course) out near the main road.  The neatest part was it was all at night under the old town style lights.  Everything being lit up gave it a really neat period atmosphere. 

They recently dozed the whole place and put in a festival space (an oval chunk of grass with lights around the outside, then built a big restroom and skate board park on one end.  They said they couldn't save any of the buildings even though the one had been all built in steel. Mainly because they needed roofs and the roofing estimates came in at the Million dollar mark I believe.  Even though one board member said that was bull.  He was actually a contractor and said they could do the roof for 150G.  Politics killed it more than anything.  (there was alot of debate over what to do with that space and I think there are some that wanted all memory of what was their gone)  I'm not really sure why.

They really wanted an environmental park more than anything.  

I still think they need to be reminded that the park they built is literally across the street from a very large state park and sits at the lowest end of the Adirondack park preserve. (this area is the furthest thing from a concrete jungle you could imagine)   As much as no one wanted to admit it,  they needed to take part of that space and build a multi story parking garage.  They cram events in that town and there is very little parking.  (events with 10's of thousands of people) and cars / motorcycles.  Infact they just built a new hotel with 100 rooms right in the middle of the village that has a conference center and a total of 100 parking spots.  I guess they forgot that the staff including that for the restaurant are going to need to park somewhere as well. I can't believe the whole project passed. 

5 hours ago, padgett said:

Guess you could consider my web site another nother hobby...

Mr P

interesting............... but correct me if I wrong with this observation,  collecting things is a hobby, but not every hobby involves collecting things, as the OP asked " What do car collectors collect besides cars?"  It is like a guy who goes fishing and another guy who collects antique lures, while both are a hobby, only one would be considered collecting? 

I don't know what you collect on your website

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

Car related ... I'm starting to look for signs and advertising to decorate my shop space.

Non car related ... How about antique fountain pens. This is a collection of Waterman hard rubber ripple pens called the #7 series. Each nib was for a different writing style. The gimmick was 7 points ... $7. Over the years there were actually 9 colors offered. I have 8 of the 9. These are from the 20s. And yes I do write with some of them. 

Waterman 7 Tray.jpg

• Like 2

There are some formidable collections out there.  If you are lucky enough to be such a collector you might think twice about broadcasting and picturing the goodies you have on this or any other publicly accessible forum, unless you have security aspects covered, what with some items such as porcelain signs valued in 4 figures (maybe more), and other "liftable" rare items that have high values that could be stolen.    The wrong person might be looking.

22 hours ago, Dave Henderson said:

There are some formidable collections out there.  If you are lucky enough to be such a collector you might think twice about broadcasting and picturing the goodies you have on this or any other publicly accessible forum, unless you have security aspects covered, what with some items such as porcelain signs valued in 4 figures (maybe more), and other "liftable" rare items that have high values that could be stolen.    The wrong person might be looking.

Just buy content insurance.. It it walks ... Cash in and take the wife out for a nice dinner..  

I sold a car part for a restaurant gift card.. I did this so I did not have any cash to buy more car parts..

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I started collecting National Geographic Magazines in 1972 when I got a subscription. I have all of them back to 1915 and stopped there years ago. Only met one other fellow that also collects them all these years so I may have the market cornered. But they do have great adds in them but some that would not be appropriate in to-days world. A few from 1915 and 18.

2016-09-20 geograpic 001.JPG

2016-09-20 geograpic 009.JPG

2016-09-20 geograpic 005.JPG

2016-09-20 geograpic 010.JPG

2016-09-20 geograpic 008.JPG

2016-09-20 geograpic 014.JPG

2016-09-20 geograpic 020.JPG

2016-09-20 geograpic 003.JPG

16 hours ago, Robert G. Smits said:

I agree with Nick. It you can afford the collection you can afford the insurance. 

image.jpg

You would think so but every time  I try to get my hundreds of oriental items covered for the thousands of dollars they are worth I get insane insurance quotes and also demands that I get collection appraised. I have never found an appraiser who will give a blanket appraisal but instead wants to charge $20-$25 per item and with hundreds of small items this gets expensive real quick!

Howard Dennis

Glenn, the photo is of Daum Winter Scenes.  The Galle is in a different cabinet.  With many insurance plans you can buy a rider for a specified amount without appraisals.  If you have a claim you will have to document the value of the loss.  If you don,t have good records you may be in trouble.  I agree with Larry and all of us "self insure" to some extent.  If a loss is not going to effect my quality of life I don,t worry about it.