Tools you hate to need to use

Just now, erichill said:

Chisels  More often than not I am using it to help convince something to budge.

And more often than not my hand suffers from a sledge hammer to the hand instead of the chisel!  Ouch!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Any metric tool. It’ll be a job I have to do, not want to do. And there still won’t be enough room to work, even after I remove half the motor to get at it.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I'm with Lee H.I keep my metric tools put away.When I have to use them,it means I'm working on something that I don't like.I do keep a 15mm box end wrench handy to change oil with. I don't mind that at all.

I don't like using screwdrivers,especially flat ones. I have dicked up more stuff with a screwdriver than any other tool I can think of. Use new good quality screwdrivers and this doesn't happen as much,but I cheap out a lot and it causes me problems.I don't guess I'll ever learn.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, bradsan said:

The flat bladed screw driver .....but only for its intended use of course !

All other unapproved uses ( about 98% of them in my shop  ) are just fine .

Flat blade screw drivers.   You mean plastic or wooden handle chisels?

I wish you had added the Phillips head screws and screwdrivers to the list.   Worst invention of 1935!

i realize I and all other critical  judges would take points away points for torx head screws on pre 1936 cars.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Stilson/Monkey wrenches are sometimes my tool of last resort (and I hate using them), and inevitably while solving the problem, leave a lasting impression. So many times large nuts (above 1.25"), round items and such can only be turned resorting to these tools meant for pipe fitters, where scars and imperfections seldom matter. I suppose someone has discovered a better tool, but not one I'm aware of.

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Gunsmoke said:

Stilson/Monkey wrenches

Two different wrenches, with different operating characteristics. Picky picky picky....🤣🛠️

Monkey wrench only good on wrench flats. Just a version of a "Crescent" aka adjustable wrench. 

Stilson has teeth for gripping round smooth pipe, and the head swivels on a pivot to allow the teeth to disengage when you rest the tool for another bite as you turn the pipe. You  should see the imprints when the pipe is soft, like brass!

Visegrips are a substitution for smaller stuff. Harbor Freight 3/4" drive socket sets (and they make the 2" to 3" additional set, also in Metric) for large nuts in good shape. Snap On is just unthinkable in these sizes!😮

• Like 3

The infamous LLHSCIPRT (Lombard Log Hauler Steam Chest Inspection Port Removal Tool). Which means its time for the annual state boiler inspection. Which also means another annual reminder from my long suffering wife that “…those filthy cloths are NOT going in my washing machine!”

IMG_0245.png.629fb5ee883dbc140eba7a2e4ba608a8.png

IMG_0067.jpeg.4153b23468c96d6dadda39a5da5ed37e.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

I don't really "hate" anything, let alone a use of any tool, but I do severely dislike (or "hate" if you prefer) hacks who have made a use of any tool intended for a specific job/task useless by using whatever unintended efforts, methods or tools hacks use to F up the job instead of leaving it alone and let those who know how to do it using proper methods and tools to get it done. 

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

2 hours ago, TTR said:

I don't really "hate" anything, let alone a use of any tool, but I do severely dislike (or "hate" if you prefer) hacks who have made a use of any tool intended for a specific job/task useless by using whatever unintended efforts, methods or tools hacks use to F up the job instead of leaving it alone and let those who know how to do it using proper methods and tools to get it done. 

????  Say what?😁

Ben

• Haha 2

If I'm not at my shop,a lug wrench.That means a flat on the road or a parking lot somewhere. Also a jack,for the same reason. If I'm at my shop,air and electricity get the job done. I can still do it manually,but I'm getting older by the day.

• Like 2

On 2/10/2024 at 4:50 PM, plymouthcranbrook said:

image.jpeg.cbf3b754c3770165ac47d14979185bbf.jpeg

Probably The Best and most versatile tool ever invented, not counting the original concept preceding it for eons.

Inventor should’ve been awarded at least one or two “Noble Prices” 

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Andy J said:

If I'm not at my shop,a lug wrench.That means a flat on the road or a parking lot somewhere. Also a jack,for the same reason. If I'm at my shop,air and electricity get the job done. I can still do it manually,but I'm getting older by the day.

That's why I carry a small hydraulic floor jack, an 18" 1/2 drive breaker bar, and the proper sized 1/2 drive socket for lug nuts in the car. 

Far as getting older, I find that sometimes I hate to use ANY tool. It means 1) something's broken and 2) I'm probably gonna hurt for a few days. Yet I keep buying the things!

That creates its own issues, because if I acquire some interesting well-loved older tools that might be missing one wrench or socket out of the set, I go stupid until I've found and acquired the missing ones. I'm in that spasm right now with a set of Armstrong long beam combination wrenches. The 7/16 is missing.😠

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rocketraider said:

if I acquire some interesting well-loved older tools that might be missing one wrench or socket out of the set, I go stupid until I've found and acquired the missing ones.

I have that affliction as well.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 8:11 PM, Larry Schramm said:

These are great for heating up stuck bolts & nuts.  Learned that in about 5th grade science.  Remember the ball & ring experiment?

When it becomes liquid, it cannot be stuck !

• Like 2