How long was your restoration project?

Crusty Trucker

The recent article, below, recants a 75 year long car project. That brought to mind the number of unfinished projects I see for sale, the stories of folks who are trying to refurb their high school ride with the help of their grandchildren, the absolutely unavailable parts, funds, and/or motivation preventing a project from proceeding. There are as many "reasons" as there are extended projects out there.

How long did it take you to complete one of your projects (if ever?). What's your estimated project duration (in light-years, maybe?)

There should be a prize for the longest running project - maybe a trophy - since the car will probably never get done, that may be the only recognition it ever gets. Nominate your friends - that may give them the motivation they need to get with it. Pictures encouraged.

75 Year Project:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/a-devin-crosley-project-wraps-up-at-last-75-years-after-it-began/ar-AA17dpxv?ocid=mailsignout&li=BBnb7Kz

Got the relic in 1986....

Life happened...

I'm officially over the hill...  more than over half way through...

I have every intention to see my project finished...

Hopefully just "months" (8 to 14???) away.

I've learned NOT to hold my breath....

Edited by 1937McBuick (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The car was taken apart in the mid 60s in Detroit by a fellow Arthur W Biggers then sold as a driving chassis in 72. I bought it in 83 from a fellow in Windsor On. where it was back in more pieces at that point. I worked on the car for a couple of years spending most of my time working on other projects and friends cars always sidelining  my Cadillac.  I painted it 3 times never happy with the color combination being one factor for lost time and frustration. It became a barn find around 1990 when it got stuck in the corner of my barn. Pulled it out in 2010 after I was retired and got the job done in 2 years. Sold off many cars through the years from my military jeep to a 68 GTO but always had this car in the back of my mind as a keeper. It will be on an AACA national tour again this year if all goes well.  Most have seen pictures of this car before but not my old dog whiskey.  We will not get into how he got his name.   

ScanImage003.jpg

1930 cadillac.jpg

auto fest.png

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 12

Well I was finally able to take my truck to a car show, I would have settled for a trophy for the longest restoration but instead they handed me a “regular trophy. Below are before and after pictures, late 1971 and a current photo 50 years latterFC32E3AD-6793-4E27-A6C0-36BE9E6D590F.jpeg.535d7ef7272b89f09b9500e5cd3113fd.jpeg46791789-1C36-4A80-855B-FF61A39108D2.jpeg.97925eb9f422117aff09d7656369ad7b.jpeg

• Like 18

Saw the 1930 Ford Roadster body in a barn on the way home from church one Sunday in 1962. Sold it to a friend in 1976 who had it for 25 years, did nothing other than move it to two different garages, got it back, and have enjoyed looking at it for 60 years now. I have upgraded different parts and replaced missing things, at last count there were parts from nine different Roadster bodies. 

• Like 4

I bought this 48 DeSoto 3 window coupe back in May, 1980.  I never thought I would own a DeSoto.  I just put a want ad in the WPC newsletter for a 3 window coupe, and a guy in Idyllwild, CA wrote me saying he had a 48 DeSoto.  We settled on $1600 for car which was running at the time. I gave it a compression test, which it failed miserably, so I knew the engine would have to be overhauled.  But I took the bus up to Banning, where the owner met me.  Then I headed home driving the DeSoto to San Diego as the sun was getting low.  I stopped for a fill up and checked the tires.  I rebuilt the engine in an ROP auto shop class.  The teacher even helped me bore out the cylinders .030 over.  Then I got the wild idea to tear the car apart for a ground up restoration when I didn't have the time or the money.  Then I got into a couple of other hobbies which took away more time from the car.  Finally, now that I'm retired I'm making good progress.  I took the body off so I could do the chassis work without having to lift the car.  I just got the engine running for the first time since 1980.  I'll soon put the body back on and proceed with installing the wire harness.  I plan to have the car on the road by this summer.  

P1000550.JPG

P1020290.JPG

P1020602.JPG

P1020612.JPG

• Like 7

26 minutes ago, Dandy Dave said:

I figure if there's supper waiting when I come in at night she's still around somewhere, and I ain't in the dog house. 😉 

In my case Im the one cooking supper!

You guys make me feel good about myself. I think I am on par with a restoration shop. I have only been at my current project (79 Trans Am) for about 5 years or so. Of course I am starting my 3rd year of waiting on my engine to come back from the shop. That pretty much stalled everything.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, marcapra said:

I bought this 48 DeSoto 3 window coupe back in May, 1980.  I never thought I would own a DeSoto.  I just put a want ad in the WPC newsletter for a 3 window coupe, and a guy in Idyllwild, CA wrote me saying he had a 48 DeSoto.  We settled on $1600 for car which was running at the time. I gave it a compression test, which it failed miserably, so I knew the engine would have to be overhauled.  But I took the bus up to Banning, where the owner met me.  Then I headed home driving the DeSoto to San Diego as the sun was getting low.  I stopped for a fill up and checked the tires.  I rebuilt the engine in an ROP auto shop class.  The teacher even helped me bore out the cylinders .030 over.  Then I got the wild idea to tear the car apart for a ground up restoration when I didn't have the time or the money.  Then I got into a couple of other hobbies which took away more time from the car.  Finally, now that I'm retired I'm making good progress.  I took the body off so I could do the chassis work without having to lift the car.  I just got the engine running for the first time since 1980.  I'll soon put the body back on and proceed with installing the wire harness.  I plan to have the car on the road by this summer.  

P1000550.JPG

P1020290.JPG

P1020602.JPG

P1020612.JPG

GREAT to hear that engine, Marc! I know you have been at it for a long time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Twisted Shifter said:

So far...most of these projects seem to have lasted longer than most marriages.

...wonder why?

That 1930 Roadster body I mentioned above is the reason I've been married for 45 years. The friend I sold it to told me about a Christmas party, I left with the most attractive girl there. 

• Like 5

The 1937 Buick Special I bought in February 1987.

1937Ad001(1024x549).jpg.1d048684bfaa3ff50c78d23de14687d8.jpg I drove it home from Holidaysburg outside of Altoona PA. Only 57 miles into the trip when the clutch went out and I had it towed the remaining 40 or so miles to Chambersburg, PA. Once my neighbor and I pushed it into the garage she sat in the same spot for 25 years as I picked away doing what I could when money and time were available.

DSCF1344.JPG.111c0e5c0ffea72dd617cd737da16f6c.JPG Spent a summer redoing the undercarrige.

MarkBethanyKatrina1991001.jpg.8a40e23af275f3221dbbf68577d370b4.jpg 3 of my childern in 1991.

DSCF1898(1280x960).jpg.0a13be128ca72331a2613b71c3981d6f.jpg And as adults some 20 years later once the car was back on the road.

Finally in winter 2011-12 we decided to have a driver restoration done. After 7 months at the shop we decided to call it quits since the cost estimate had doubled and results were halved. I spent the next year taking care of the loose ends left by the shop so we could drive the car to the the 2013 BCA meet in South Bend. We had since driven the car to several other BCA nationals and club events.

FullSizeRender1.jpg.d40f0f155178dfb45c57fbcda58094f5.jpg BCA Pre-War Aftertour 2017.

Always considering another system to be restored or an area of the body to be enhanced. The goal was to eventually repaint and reupholster etc. to acheive a true restored car.

This was not to be since it was T-boned Aug 1st of 2021. So at this stage it will never be restored, but used as a parts car in Winnapeg, CAN.

20210801_190034.jpg.449a1919351bc80b8f80b8dcdc71c37b.jpg

• Like 2

Ten years so far. In my defense I had to put it all back together for a retirement move from LA back to Atlanta. Okay maybe I am lazy at times. All that is left is the top and upholstery I was planning on a LeBonney kit but they are gone. 

Dave

31 corn crib.jpg

31 side shot.jpg

Edited by Dave39MD (see edit history)
  • Like 7

I have many thoughts about this subject.

After a while the project becomes invisible even though its right there in front of you.

When its invisible you put it out of your mind.

One even gets to where they don't much care because it's out of sight. (By now it's pretty much covered up with crap anyway).

If I had to transfer all of this to plain English, the word would be LAZY.

OK, the engine shop is in its third year. If that were to happen to me, it would be in a different shop a couple of years ago.

Then, the paint shop is on its third year. This is a tough one and it has happened to me. (Lesson learned, don't pay ANYTHING over work already performed).

As for all the DIY stuff. one has to make a deal with him/her self to dedicate time on a regular schedule. Be it one afternoon per week or every night after dinner, every Sunday afternoon etc. You wouldn't break a deal with yourself would you?

Bottom line, you are not going to get anything done if you don't do anything. SHAME   !!!

Some guy's brag about this.   ?.?.?

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

There are laws against locking your wife in the garage. Turning off the lights and walking away.

That's why they say if you lock your wife and your dog in the trunk overnight and come back the next day to let them out.  Which one is still going to be happy to see you?  

Edited by marcapra (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

A few project cars:

1948 Studebaker M5 pickup - 6 years.

m5truckbefore.jpg.584563221f14a1041dff044074559187.jpgM5frontquarter.jpg.44a0d2bcbdc4cad6c4c1926d71f2b60e.jpg

1932 Studebaker Indy race car replica - 12 years

Stude_Indy_frame_040809.jpg.b7a7310ccd4b9d3de7342f83a58f0a50.jpg

Studebaker1932Indy-GAsh(1920x1440).jpg.3478a88681c17521ca1cd6eeddf19fa2.jpg

1963 Studebaker Wagonaire Standard - 17 years and counting (slowly).

1963wagonwithnewwheelstires.jpg.b12954145c7ce1e1068839fa2e11451a.jpg

• Like 5

An interesting topic, but I’ve always believed “years” is likely quite misleading when referring to duration or length of any complete or major automotive restoration project.

While most, especially Do-It-Yourself individuals choose not or fail to keep track, the actual time should probably be indicated/measured in Hours.

For example, almost any complete and proper restoration on most post-war Full-size American cars in reasonably good starting condition, i.e. not badly damaged, rusted or missing anything, will require several thousand hours of labor, at minimum.

And that’s if the individual(s) involved know how to do it all or at least their specific task area/experience and have adequate tools/equipment/facilities/etc.

Considerable amount of corrosion/oxidation/rust or other damage can easily add hundreds upon hundreds hours on those several thousands, same with cars featuring unusual quantities of extra (luxury ?) items/options/trim/etc needing restoration to “like new” condition/operation. 

Majority of pre-war cars can require somewhat less since most are significantly simpler, than those made in the 1950’s, 1960’s, 1970’s or newer.

Whenever someone tells me they restored some (common ?) post-war car from from ‘50’s/‘60’s/‘70’s/etc in a thousand or fifteen hundred hours or spent $150K to have it fully restored, I can’t help but wonder “How many things weren’t dealt with during that job ?”

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

Hi All

Not a record, but it did take a while. First picture, as collected September 1980. Second, as finished June 2014.

Only took 34 years and 7 house moves and the help of many friends along the way. Sometimes tough to keep the dream alive, but I got there eventually.

Drive Safe

Jeff

Cadillac as found 2.jpg

Cadillac in 2014 - Copy.jpg

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Bills Auto Works said:

Mine will never win for the longest, but I might win for the most started & not finished! LOL

I have 3 that I painted & not completely put back together, two more that are completely apart & a few more waiting in line.

Such is the addiction of the car hobby.

God Bless

Bill

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/nationwide-single-car-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

"Losers make promises they often break. Winners make commitments they always keep." – Denis Waitley

That is the true joy of the hobby, doing with YOUR CARS as you please and not having to answer to any self-righteous onlooker. 

Bob 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

TurnoftheCentury.jpg.70ab289ded358a51fe5d819386250d94.jpgMy 1915 Model T was a basket case that took to trailer lodas to get it home.   I spent 900 man hours to restore it over a two year period.

Drove it few months before putting the top on it.ToplessT.jpg.9e4220561e322b16821b06e08250fe2b.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, JACK M said:

I have many thoughts about this subject.

After a while the project becomes invisible even though its right there in front of you.

When its invisible you put it out of your mind.

One even gets to where they don't much care because it's out of sight. (By now it's pretty much covered up with crap anyway).

If I had to transfer all of this to plain English, the word would be LAZY.

OK, the engine shop is in its third year. If that were to happen to me, it would be in a different shop a couple of years ago.

Then, the paint shop is on its third year. This is a tough one and it has happened to me. (Lesson learned, don't pay ANYTHING over work already performed).

As for all the DIY stuff. one has to make a deal with him/her self to dedicate time on a regular schedule. Be it one afternoon per week or every night after dinner, every Sunday afternoon etc. You wouldn't break a deal with yourself would you?

Bottom line, you are not going to get anything done if you don't do anything. SHAME   !!!

Some guy's brag about this.   ?.?.?

This is why I do most, if not all, of the work myself.

• Like 1