Weather at Hershey???

leomara

2 hours ago, leomara said:

I'm watching the development of now tropical storm Ian and hoping it does not come up the coast or inland after it's done with Florida making a visit to Hershey.

I’m supposed to fly out Friday, doesn’t look good……….and with luck it crosses the state and goes out to sea. 

• Like 1

Good gosh almighty, was waiting for the first post on Hershey weather.

Bring shorts and short sleeves, bring long pants and coats, bring raincoats and boots and galoshes, bring tennis shoes and t-shirts, just empty out your closet, and you’ll have something to match Hershey weather…it’s always such fun, freezing in the morning, sweating in the afternoon, and sometimes sitting out a toad strangler storm…

Wouldn't miss it, though!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I have only been going to Hershey for around 20 years but the best day of finding parts was around 7-8 years ago in the pouring rain on a Friday.  We found a nice '66 Cadillac fender, and NOS side light that is on my '66 now among many other items. NOS light was sitting in a stream of 2" of water on the blacktop :)  My son and I also made 4 trips back in forth to the dry camping area in the rain filling up carts ;) .  I have walked for two days sometimes in beautiful weather finding nothing.  We chuckled when we heard people commenting on how the day was a wash for parts hunting as they staying inside.   

Best day of buying at Hershey ever!   :)  Chuck

• Like 1

Weather forecasts this far in advance; especially with major tropical storms moving through; are nothing more than loose conjecture. All we know about Hershey week is there will be periods of rain, sunshine, chilly mornings, and warm afternoons. Get ready to have a great week. 

• Like 2

This will be our 54th HERSHEY and have seen it all regarding weather. I have on my garage wall, a framed weather map from the USA Today newspaper, that was published on October 11th 2013. The entire east coast was clear and beautiful except for a dime sized area over Harrisburg/Hershey showing torrential rain. It set a record of 9.5 inches of rain in two days. HERSHEY has it's own weather systems! We take everything from T-shirts and shorts to heavy jackets and of course rain gear.

• Like 2

This will be the first time I ever passed up on the fields in 50 years. Rain and cold. My Florida blood just won’t like it. Fortunately we will do other interesting things. Civil war museum, state house, AACA library, museum, and probably the Stroudsburg railroad museum.

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Wednesday will be a good day after morning rain. Thursday looks like a great day. Hopefully the historical thinness of Friday is not carryover to Thursdays now.

In years past I have noticed that if it rains prior to Friday vendors seem to stick around until later in the day of Friday to recoup lost sales due to the rain. If the weather was dry all week some vendors would leave on Thursday night and Friday around 12 noon the mass exodus would begin.

With rain on Tuesday and Wednesday morning this year, there is a good chance that vendors will stick around for most of Thursday especially if the forecast of sun and low-mid 70s turns out to be true. I suppose we will see come this Thursday.

Now for the real question.... What kind of condition are the grass spectator parking fields in after all the rain from Saturday through Wed morning? 

38 minutes ago, edinmass said:

This will be the first time I ever passed up on the fields in 50 years. Rain and cold. My Florida blood just won’t like it. Fortunately we will do other interesting things. Civil war museum, state house, AACA library, museum, and probably the Stroudsburg railroad museum.

You may also want to add to you list of interesting museums:    Eastern museum of motor racing, just southwest of Harrisburg and

the new World War 2 American experience museum in Gettysburg.

I've missed the last few years and was thinking of coming this year. Be glad for any update/info on the parking areas. I've been to Hershey in the mud and would prefer to avoid that.

With travel costs, etc rising makes me wonder if the weather will simply turn vendors away?

Edited by MattMPa (see edit history)

I met several car show people today that we’re staying dry by checking out the booths at the Black Swan antique mall in nearby Palmyra.  My wife and I have a small stand there as does the AACA library.  My booth is C7 and has quite a few automotive related items for sale.  Thanks to those who stop by!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MattMPa said:

I've missed the last few years and was thinking of coming this year. Be glad for any update/info on the parking areas. I've been to Hershey in the mud and would prefer to avoid that.

With travel costs, etc rising makes me wonder if the weather will simply turn vendors away?

Parking area was not bad when I left at 1:30 this afternoon. However, I was on a level area. $20 to park in a field.

I did not open yet because of the rain but got in early and trudged on shopping thru it all and stopping to visit friends.  Rain is an advantage for some dedicated treasure hunters like me. I bought some great stuff these past two days from vendors kind enough to pull back tarps for a peek or invite me into their trailers or to rummage through boxes not yet unpacked. Will start a new thread when we unpack so we can have a show and tell. Wet, tired, not quote broke yet but very happy.

Terry

2 hours ago, old car fan said:

Stayed  open all day,cold,wet.still a good  time.Thanked by many buyers  for being  open. 

My wife and I did the same, with the aid of a canopy and some strategically placed tarps, were able to have 80% of our wares under roof.  To me, the vendors who didn’t bring some kind of canopy and/or didn’t open don’t understand the Hershey experience.

You can stay warm and cozy the other 360 days of the year, this is Hershey!

Lots of friends visited, and the people braving the rain were buyers.  Some also thanked us for being open, and if I told you our day’s dollar sales you’d be surprised…sold a lot, but we also brought a bunch of what I think is good stuff…

Look forward to the rest of the week, this is already shaping up to be a great year selling.  I can’t do much walking now with a bad knee so selling and visiting is my lot in life!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just in case you want to know the plight of all Hershey vendors, and spectators. Today dawned wet with light drizzle until about 7:00. We left our warm hotel and headed to the green field. It was chilly but dry as we arrived; and set up our tables. Later in the morning it started to drizzle/ ever so slightly. One of those days you debate on closing up, but you don’t. About noon it started to brighten; and actually caught a brief glimpse of the sun. Later in the afternoon the temperature dropped and by 4pm it started to spit rain again. We closed up at 5. Tomorrow promised to be much better/ but promises can be broken. Congrats to the hearty soles that walked the fields today. We were all rewarded with a beautiful sunset.

EBE9EE31-3EB6-40B9-B1DC-98C0A83AF135.jpeg

Edited by greenie (see edit history)