Unbelievable stupid Luck ….. to me - 1934 Dodge Dr rumble seat coupe

Porsche 68

Visiting friend in NJ over the weekend we we’re talking about pre war cars and he said a friend of a friend of a blah blah has this old cat been sitting for like 40 plus years in his garage he’s not really a car guy So I go to the house but nobody’s home I see the car sitting covered with crap all over it I peeped under the cover  Almost pooped myself! 1934 Dodge Dr rumble seat coupe !  I a phone number drove 2 hours home and waited Got the call Sunday morning Yes it’s for sale I said I’ll be there in 2 hrs ! After 2 hours of looking we settle on a super fair price Body is unbelievably sold no rot minor surface rust all the glass was replaced in the 70s roof was done interior was done which all though mouse poppied is in excellent shape! O and the motor is stuck from sitting  no big deal MMMO to the rescue! Gonna clean it make it safe and drive it just the way it is.   John

69D1DB08-C18A-4E19-BBBF-32BEA2BBF510.jpeg

• Like 13

Sweet.......take your time. Looks like a great project. Good luck!

I wouldn't do a single cosmetic item.......looks great as is. It will get ten times more looks than a restored car. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

Sometimes luck is what you need.  Friend of mine was on his way thru Philly to look at a Packard.  Several miles from his destination he was sitting at a stop sign waiting for traffic to clear.  On his right he noticed an older man about to open his garage door to put his mower away.  As the door rose my friend was shocked to see a Packard. To shorten a long story he ended up buying the car, a 1936 Conv Victoria Body #1.  

• Like 9

Congratulations!  Sometimes serendipity does the job that years of diligent search has failed to produce.  I second the careful approach, clean it, sort it to be functionally reliable then enjoy the heck out of it!  We should all be so lucky!

Congratulations.  And I’m sure I speak for many that we would all love some additional photos when you get it home and have some good lighting outside for an initial photo shoot.  They got the lines on that coupe just right. Can’t wait to see more of her. 

• Like 2

Good Deal!  Great looking car, and it shows they are still out there. I look everywhere I go, and I work in a lot of different places. Never found anything close to this 😔 I was under the impression that Dodge used very little to no wood in those cars? 

2 hours ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Are those the stock horns on the Dodge? Or an extension tip of some kind.

Those horn trumpets are original to the 34 DR.  I have a similar 34 Dodge 'barn find' coupe (although mine is a DRXX) that I am in the process of bringing back to life.  Can probably answer a lot of your questions if you have any.  Great find!

005.JPG

• Like 5

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Unbelievable stupid Luck ….. to me - 1934 Dodge Dr rumble seat coupe

Please don't rod it! I'm not against rodding a car if it's too far gone for a proper restoration. Not all of them have to be nut and bolt concourse cars.

1930 Chrysler Series 70 Roadster

1957 Ford Thunderbird

Edited by mike3121 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Scott Bonesteel said:

Those horn trumpets are original to the 34 DR.  I have a similar 34 Dodge 'barn find' coupe (although mine is a DRXX) that I am in the process of bringing back to life.  Can probably answer a lot of your questions if you have any.  Great find!

005.JPG

Keep an eye on that crank hole cover. Car pictured above is missing one.🤨

Good looking Dodge.  I was hoping for a Dodge Chrysler or Desoto,  but couldn't pass on the Plymouth I bought.  

Finally getting a few minutes to work on it now that the honey do list is a little shorter and the lawns/ trails are all trimmed and mowed.   Will have to update my thread. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Xander, Yes those very rare horns belong on that car. And they are left and right. That elbow just under the dome where the pot metal bugle fastens are different. One is a complete elbow and the other has a air hole at the rear. They are tuned to different pitches so they compliment and chorus together. Keep that beautiful car original for todays kids to know what real cars should look like!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations on your GREAT find, I agree on the keep the patina, but as Walt G stated replace the wiring. I am always looking and listening and hoping something comes my way, nothing yet. Several years ago while sitting at a stop light I see this old couple walking together from there house to this small 1 car garage and as the garage door opened there was a 1953 Ford, wow I thought, I was already late for my appointment, he backed it out of garage and looking like he was going to wax the car!

Bob

Great find! I noticed the QQ plates so it has been in the hobby for a while. Get every bit of history about all the former owners, and the history of the car, old club events and shows it may have been in. All the old paperwork is great to have with a car that solid. 

Very VERY nice find.  Now… get ready to spend some cash.

My 36 Chrysler was in similar to condition as yours is, perhaps slightly better, and I suspect you will end up following the same path I did.  Hopefully you do not find any of the idiotic gremlins I found where some shade tree mechanic replaced all of the valves in my L8 with incorrect valves, leading to a top end rebuild that was a bit on the expensive side.

One thing I would recommend you not skip is all new wiring.  I used factory correct cloth covered wiring from Rhode Island Wiring, but these cars are easy enough to wire by hand with just the schematic.  You will find that your cloth wiring (if it still has it) will be brittle and prone cracking and creating potential short circuits or open circuits that may have you chasing electrical bugs, or worse, could result in a fire. 

If you want to see the process I went through, with lots of pictures and step by step instructions, you can find my thread here:

Good luck with your build, and I hope you create a build thread like I did so that we can follow along,

Joe

• Like 2

On 6/13/2022 at 6:29 AM, edinmass said:

Sweet.......take your time. Looks like a great project. Good luck!

I wouldn't do a single cosmetic item.......looks great as is. It will get ten times more looks than a restored car. 

This is all to true. Clean it, get everything working/running, your done.... Its only original once.

ERIC