Do you say motor, or engine?

18 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Cite as many examples of usage or definitions as you please but, in general, if one refers to an IC engine as a motor I reflexively think a bit less of their knowledge............Bob

This is a good idea for a thread Bob!

For example, when somebody refers to a 1965 mustang, as a “Classic“ I’ve turned my brain off.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, alsancle said:

This is a good idea for a thread Bob!

For example, when somebody refers to a 1965 mustang, as a “Classic“ I’ve turned off.

Same as refering to fuel as gas but i know that argument is going nowhere.....bob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Get your engine running                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Head out on the highway                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                looking for adventure                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        in whatever comes our way  

• Haha 1

General Motors - GM

Here in the USA I vary from engine to motor but in Europe always use the word motor or I would sound like a Yank........................

Most of the pre WWI era car magazines used the word motor : Motor Age, Motor Life

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Get your engine running                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Head out on the highway                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                looking for adventure                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        in whatever comes our way  

About 30 years ago I saw John kay and he gave the history behind that song and ironically that song was written about a MOTORCYCLE

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, dictator27 said:

Exactly!!  And as Layden B also pointed out, the English language is littered with too many words that mean the same thing.  Ask for the Italian word for engine  and you get motore.  In French you will get two words - moteur (masculine) and motrice (feminine). Engine in German, Swedish and Czech will give you motor.  

I think I'm going to engine over to the liquor store and by me a case of beer. 😁

Now you know why English was chosen for the international language of the cockpit and air traffic control.

image.jpeg.55bc6dd1abdce7b38b6b8da1c58e6456.jpeg I'll fix that engine now and after that I'll get to that motor in that APU.

When I was a young teenager in love with antique cars, hot rods, auto racing, etc, I BEGGED my dad to teach auto mechanics to me. He had little patience for a kid who didn't even know what the "valve covers" were on our family car (ask me how I know!) 😒 Dad was a widely-respected mechanically-minded person, who could figure out and repair just about anything he attempted. But he had little patience for a silly, ignorant kid who just loved cars.

Eventually Mom nagged him enough to allow me to go with him to the garage and learn about cars, but he demanded that I first read and study some VERY old automotive books, such as DYKE'S MANUALS, the AUTOMOTIVE ENGINEERING series, KUNS AUTOMOTIVE SERVICE, THE GAS ENGINE by Hutton, etc, etc. He refused to allow me into his shop before I would at least learn the BASICS on my own. So I poured through his personal library and tried to learn enough that he would accept me as an "apprentice" of automotive repairs. I used to stand before him in our living room, and recite facts which I had learned from all that reading. Then he would correct me and send me back upstairs to my room to learn more. 

There are many other related stories, but to stay on topic I'll relate this fact: One question he hit me with was something about the difference between a "motor" and an "engine." Dad rejected my answer, because he firmly believed that an electric powerplant was a "motor," and an internal combustion powerplant was an "engine." But I dared to disagree, and he angrily ordered me to my room to find the books from his library and show him the info I had based my answer upon. 

I came back downstairs timidly, carrying one or more books in hand. And in more than one of my Dad's ancient automotive books that day I was able to show him definitions which read something to the effect of: "A device which generates power is an "ENGINE." Whenever an engine is installed in any sort of vehicle which provides motion, it then becomes a 'MOTOR.'" 

Dad was stunned. And soon after, he began taking me with him to the garage, and allowed me to help him work on our antique car, and to help with maintenance on family cars. 

• Like 6

I am away from home with only a cellphone and find searching for answers from reputable web sources on a phone tedious, so this is from memory.

In the very old days of catapults the devices that could hurl heavy rocks were considered ingenious devices. From that they were called engines of war and the people who could design them were called engineers. May well be a fable, but the word engine predates the internal combustion engine (ICE) by quite a bit and can be used to describe more than an ICE.

I suspect that motor comes from the same root word as motive as in locomotive or automotive as something that moves or can move itself.

If only I was at home with my trusty microprint copy of the Oxford English Dictionary to look up the history and roots of those words.

• Like 2

I agree that combustion is engine and electric is motor, but I use both terms when talking to someone about their car, ex: what motor do you you have in your car or is that a 350 engine. Mercedes uses the term motor for their cars ex: a gas car 300E would have a 103M (103 motor) , a diesel car 300D would have a 617OM (617 oil motor) 

22 hours ago, ply33 said:

I am away from home with only a cellphone and find searching for answers from reputable web sources on a phone tedious, so this is from memory.

In the very old days of catapults the devices that could hurl heavy rocks were considered ingenious devices. From that they were called engines of war and the people who could design them were called engineers. May well be a fable, but the word engine predates the internal combustion engine (ICE) by quite a bit and can be used to describe more than an ICE.

I suspect that motor comes from the same root word as motive as in locomotive or automotive as something that moves or can move itself.

If only I was at home with my trusty microprint copy of the Oxford English Dictionary to look up the history and roots of those words.

Also often called siege engines. 

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

I work in an industry where a piece of mobile equipment contains an engine, pump, and a motor. All three have different specific jobs. So we are all pretty clear and in agreement on what we are referring to when we talk about a motor. It does not use combustion to propel. A propel motor is driven by a hydraulic pump, that is driven by an engine.  

The automotive industry is different. Yes a motor could be a fan motor. An air conditioning blower motor. Walk up to me and say you have a 1953 Chrysler and you are looking for a motor I'll ask a couple more questions.

So for me an engine is always an engine. It uses fuel and compression to create combustion. Could be a diesel or gas engine. But for me, never a motor.

Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 6.21.07 AM.png

Edited by keithb7 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, keithb7 said:

I work in an industry where a piece of mobile equipment contains an engine, pump, and a motor. All three have different specific jobs. So we are all pretty clear and in agreement on what we are referring to when we talk about a motor. It does not use combustion to propel. A propel motor is driven by a hydraulic pump, that is driven by an engine.  

The automotive industry is different. Yes a motor could be a fan motor. An air conditioning blower motor. Walk up to me and say you have a 1953 Chrysler and you are looking for a motor I'll ask a couple more questions.

So for me an engine is always an engine. It uses fuel and compression to create combustion. Could be a diesel or gas engine. But for me, never a motor.

Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 6.21.07 AM.png

Keith, close to but not quite the same as your industry is Oilfield Drilling. The Motorman is an important part of a rig crew. Normally in charge of the I.C. power machinery. 

My Transport Canada,  Marine Engineers qualifications clearly state that I am licensed as an Engineer on Motor Vessels. We have lots of different pieces of equipment on board. But the ship is propelled by an I.C. heat engine, not a electric device.

Here is what wiki has to say about the old girl I sailed on for most of a decade. Notice it is the M.V. Spirit of British Columbia. { Motor Vessel }

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MV_Spirit_of_British_Columbia

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

You're all wrong! The Brits commonly refer to it as "the lump "

Terry

• Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 6:16 PM, Bhigdog said:

Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Cite as many examples of usage or definitions as you please but, in general, if one refers to an IC engine as a motor I reflexively think a bit less of their knowledge............Bob

Ever hear of an enginecycle?

34 minutes ago, Buick35 said:

Ever hear of an enginecycle?

Hmm..

A motor can be a couple of things. Electric motor. Starting motor. Hydraulic propel motor. Many automobiles, ships and trains etc,  have a motor under the hood. A few examples of quite different devices.

Yet an engine is really just one thing. I am not aware of it being anything else other than an internal combustion controlled HP/torque producing device. 

Steam engine. Diesel engine. Gasoline engine. 2 stroke engine. 4 stroke engine. Rotary engine. You know exactly what I am talking about.  The word engine is pretty specific.

On a ship is the engine in the motor room?  Or in the engine room? Is the engine being rebuilt in the engine bay of the shop or the motor room?

Lots inconsistencies!

The answer to this is easy.  Motor is a wide generic term.  Engine is a more specific term.  Both words are correct when referring to an internal combustion engine.  Otherwise, we would not have a book called Motor Manual.  

• Like 1

Where I was brought up there were and still are gear heads in my boyhood neighborhood. I was set straight early an engine was powered by fossil fuels and a motor was driven by electricity.

Sure, I know the words are interchangeable, but I know when a person refers to an engine as a motor they just don’t know any better. I will not correct anyone.

Turbinator

Like what came first? The chicken or the Egg? Folks have pondered and philosophized over this for years without an answer. I tell you all here and now that the Rooster came first. The creator saw he was lonely and gave him hens, then came eggs. 😉 That's my story and I'm sticking to it. 😊 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

Like what came first? The chicken or the Egg? Folks have pondered and philosophized over this for years without an answer. I tell you all here and now that the Rooster came first. The creator saw he was lonely and gave him hens, then came eggs. 😉 That's my story and I'm sticking to it. 😊 

I see, the creator created the engine out of need and when he put that engine in a carriage it became a motorcar. The creator got a little confused when he created an engine to go in a sailing ship so he just called the ship a steam ship with a steam engine, but just to satisfy all, the little baby boats (life boats) were named motorboats, unless they didn't have a engine they were just row boats. The creator got his senses back when he created  piston and jet engines for his airplane but did name all the auxiliary electrical devises motors so as to not confuse anyone especially air traffic controllers who had adopted the most expressive language in the world (English) concerning the human condition so as not to confuse anyone in the air or on the ground.

image.jpeg.926fdb86d4dc11566bc893654a43931b.jpegimage.jpeg.6de11b25dd7f8fd708188dfc722cfe1e.jpeg

However, the guys at the fire department were confused because one of them forgot to bring the firemotor to the fire even though a fire  engine was available right next to them.image.jpeg.92111c8287e0dbc8a31b58ab39d5d478.jpeg

Nobody gets it!It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Message Board)

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

As I understand it, motor and engine are now used interchangeably, but they used to mean slightly different things.  "Motor" was originally a thing that caused a moving item to move, and "engine" was a broader term that meant any machine that produced an output.    But yeah. today the same thing.

• Like 1

On 5/30/2022 at 12:13 PM, Layden B said:

The definition of a MOTOR is a device that changes some source of energy into motion. That could be hydraulic fluid under pressure turning a shaft using an hydraulic motor or even the stroke of a cylinder. A windmill using the power of moving air is a motor ( hence the AEROMOTOR brand of windmills). A water wheel driving a gristmill or electric generator is a motor. Cars whether electric steam or gasoline have a motor. 

A special subset of motors that use heat as their source of energy are called "heat engines", whether external combustion steam or internal combustion gasoline or diesel. Now an archaic term that has been shortened in common practice to "engine". 

Thus steam and gasoline cars can be said to have either a motor or an engine but electric cars only have a motor!

I really appreciate the answer above, given a week ago.

Thus endeth the question, and, instead of talking

about our antique cars, we all get to go out and enjoy them!

O.k... Lets put this lame thing to rest.

Since the begining..

MOTORCARS...not ENGINECARS!

What does that say.

Explosion motors / cars or engines has been used in the days of early steam and electric car comparisons.

Car pistons where sometimes refered to as motors as an 8 motor engine and vise versa.

Even in electric books way back ,can call a motor and engine...

A power source is what I get out of it...but I'm stupid!