Hershey Observations

leomara

I was there yesterday (Thursday) and today.  Yesterday appeared to have more traffic in the flea market than today.  Definitely much less total activity than previously.  Many empty flea market spots.  Let's hope this is just a temporary manifestation due to Covid and lack of participation from Canada and Europe.

• Like 2

There may have been less traffic and fewer venders, but I can tell you there were buyers there…we brought some good stuff to sell, and some not so good stuff too,  and sell it did like gangbusters. Even a lot of so-so things found buyers. Best part was seeing old and making new friends.  Anyone who stayed away missed a great Hershey with wonderful weather….

• Like 16

56 minutes ago, trimacar said:

There may have been less traffic and fewer venders, but I can tell you there were buyers there…we brought some good stuff to sell, and some not so good stuff too,  and sell it did like gangbusters. Even a lot of so-so things found buyers. Best part was seeing old and making new friends.  Anyone who stayed away missed a great Hershey with wonderful weather….

Could not agree more. I am 200 feet away, in the green field, selling Chevy truck parts. I’ve been in these spaces about 10 years. I pay a little extra to have my thing listed in the program in a few places. The result is a lot of return customers. Even though my Ontario, Canada and Western Europe customers were absent, Wednesday was the best day ever in gross sales. The week will end up my best ever. Less foot traffic, less customers-but more large sales. The program listings really helps direct first time buyers to me. We will open for a few hours Saturday morning and then head over to the car show. I leave a note so anyone who comes along can call my cell about parts. Great week. 

• Like 6

Zero complaints.

Found a few bits and bobs for the A, one nice woman was clearing out her late husband's stuff across from alsancle's booth.  A picked a bunch of stuff she discounted without my asking, good for her and I, hope sales were brisk in general.  Lots of gas and oil stuff, lots of A stuff, lots of intetesting cars and nice to see a few folks and meet a couple for the first time. 

Most vendors I spoke with at least were happy.  Walkers as well.

Focus this year on making it fun for my 83 year old dad, despite physically tough with walking, he had a great time, and talked about the last 3 days nonstop on 5 hour run back to CT, what it is all about!

Awaiting 22 already!

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been looking for a few years for a gear cover, Pierce shaft drive bicycle, as one of mine has it missing.  If you saw it, near impossible to make, and bike collectors laugh when you ask if they have a spare.  It’s two deep draw pieces, made with a right angle and held together with three long bolts.  As Ed mentions, unobtainium.

A fellow stopped at my spot, started looking at an item I had for sale, and laid a gear cover on my table as he looked at the item. Holy Balls, Batman.  I asked him, is it for sale?  He said he’d bought it earlier in the day, for a friend back home.  He then picked it up, looked at it, and said “but I haven’t told him yet”.  He named what was a fair price and I immediately told my wife to pay him.

Shown is just the top half, I have the bottom too of course.

To have such a rare part just appear was one of the highlights of the meet!  Only at Hershey….

image.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I saw the post on Lantern Flies and if you Google them you will see what a serious threat they are. The Penn Dept. of Agriculture is actually asking people to kill them whenever you see one. They came from China, (where else) and are decimating agriculture at an alarming rate and have no known natural predators. 

• Like 3

I saw the "Hershey Stomp" quite a bit, but the Lantern Fly is a sneaky one and they fly away quickly if one is not quick enough.

Meanwhile, here's my nomination in the  "The Best Use of a Trunk" category.

He had this car so crammed with parts that, when driving, he couldn't laugh ha-ha-ha, he had to laugh ho-ho-ho....

Hershey trunk.jpg

• Haha 1

My only regret was that I didn't get much time to go searching for treasure. We sold one car and bought one car, but otherwise I came home empty-handed. I sent my sons out looking for horns for the Lincoln but they report that they didn't see anything worth buying (yes, their judgement is questionable). Riley scored a pocket watch that he really likes but Cody preferred to sit behind the car and act like a teenager. 

On a related subject, did anyone grab any photos of that scruffy yellow Mercer speedster at Saturday's show? It rolled past us on the way in and it was the only car that truly caught my eye. It was spectacular, particularly with the little bearded fellow at the wheel--if anyone belonged there, it was he. Great car!

Hershey was as great as it has always been for me  since my first trip in 1965, and the best since my son started to attend with me 23 years ago. It has always been 1) about seeing people in person , especially now with the pandemic we had to endure and are still enduring. Very sad my good friends from England and Germany  and Canada could not attend due to the closed borders. For the past 5+ years my German friends ( most all owning pre war Packards !!) all stopped here at my house for a meal before heading to JFK airport to return home, enjoyed the fellowship and they had the chance again to roam through my collection of stuff !

My sincere thanks to all who made the effort to come and see me up in the far NE corner of the RED Field, again , just so wonderful to shake someones hand in friendship in person. I will not go into detail here and name names, don't want to miss someone. Thanks to all of you .  Sales of stuff went well - did not bring huge heavy items, lots of smaller stuff which was well received and my collection is a bit smaller - maybe, sort of. ( my son just commented - no Dad not really)

Younger generations like pre war STUFF! A fine fellow who is 29 years old and from Colorado (!!!) bought the ca. 1906-1910 brass hubcap I had for sale for a Thomas car built in Buffalo, NY. ( I bought it 50+ years ago from my buddy Austin Clark). He shared photos of his collection of screw on hubcaps with me - WOW !!!! Genuine sincere interest.

Here is a photo of my one purchase  ( besides two t shirts I bought  from the beauty queens at the AACA booth in the Chocolate Field) It is a carriage jack, also used for early brass era cars . One would go on the end of each axle hub ( near or on the hubcap - cup it from underneath) to lift the car off the ground  - during the winter when stored in a carriage house and the weather was to poor to go out with the narrow wheels/tires.  Just love the art of the design and beautiful castings it's  cast iron. It was only across the isle from me in the Red friend and sold to me by my friend of many many decades who about 50 years ago sold me a 1941 Packard "120" woody wagon to use as my every day driver ( Thank you Hank and Sally!)   I love it ! It will now take its place in line to go into the bead blaster to get cleaned off to be repainted this winter.

OK, I will get back to looking to post some more period photographs in that thread I stared 1 1/2 years ago.

Walt

CARRIAGEjack#1.jpg

CArriage Jack #3.jpg

• Like 5

My best or should I say favorite sale were the four wire wheels that will supply the rims for a replica of the Henry Ford Quadricycle that the people in the Piquette Plant restoration are building. Did an even swap for two 1930 Cadillac tail lights that I've wanted for about 3 years now. Found a right front Buffalo wire wheel hub for a T speedster project, three more hubs and four wheels and it is rolling. Thanks to everyone that made Hershey 2021 happen! 

Bob 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

On a related subject, did anyone grab any photos of that scruffy yellow Mercer speedster at Saturday's show? It rolled past us on the way in and it was the only car that truly caught my eye. It was spectacular, particularly with the little bearded fellow at the wheel--if anyone belonged there, it was he. Great car!

Yep, I got pics from the show Saturday and video too.  Then a Noo Joisey jerk stepped right in front of me.  He couldn't figure out why I then stepped in front of his camera.  I was going to turn around and educate him when his fellow Joisey-ites stopped to talk to him.  My friend said Joisey jerk was confused by my actions.  Really.  

• Haha 2

I had a funny thing happen. An older gentleman came by our spaces wanting to SELL me some wheels, cheap, so he wouldn't have to haul them back to Florida. He tells me they came off a 1935 Lincoln and were Kelsey-Hayes wires. I bought them because they were decent condition and he was asking lass than what a decent lunch would cost the wife and I. Why he picked me I'll never know, he just rode up on his scooter and struck up a conversation. In any case I doubt they came originally on the same car as I think two are 16" and two are 17" but I need to double check. They are still buried on the trailer.

Then one night after dark another man rode up and handed me a "Marathon Village" card and said he was from Nashville and was involved with the restored Marathon Motors building where the Pickers have a store. I had a riveting machine he wanted to restore and display there. It can be fun and interesting meeting new people. You never know what to expect!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

IMG_1022[1].JPG

Yellow Mercer.jpg

• Like 4

Another great Hershey Week,  I heard many people speaking foreign Language that were not Spanish, so I say a lot of foreigner here, more than Latin America. 

this is the first year I saw the swap meet running with a huge number of booth open on tuesday, it was great to browse for parts and literature.  I walk around 15,000 steps 6-7 mile each day.   The car show was almost overwhelming with so many and such a large variety of automobile and other vehicle.

Job well done by the hershey region/ and AACA

3 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Good to hear Walt. 

I was starting to worry about you prior to the big show because of some of the knuckleheaded buyers, but it sounds like you had a great time. 
Very encouraging. Thanks for sharing

Thanks so much for the concern. This is the first time I didn't encounter a whiney person with the authority complex/attitude or the gee whiz I want that and haven't seen another but will give yaz 35 cents on the dollar. People did ask if I could do a bit better and were polite and I did react with a slightly lower price about 30% of the time.  A very pleasant experience all the way around.

If you have never attended - PLAN TO NEXT YEAR!  My sincerest thanks to the Hershey Region, and all those at AACA headquarters  for making this year extra special so we could all be there to see old and new friends . Thanks to all who have read my posts and threads here and introduced yourselves, made the connection! The whole 5 days were an "A(ACA) TEAM " moment and experience. "I love it when a plan comes together".......................

• Like 4

I will have to agree that sales were good and people were good though I did one person tell me a "incident" he had earlier when he said thanks but no on a piece he looked at and the dealer told him "f you" (and the full version not the short I typed). Yea I understand that a week of lets call them tire kickers can be rough that should really never happen especially for what I dealt with this guy (that nice soft spoken grandfather type). 

6 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Matt,

Somewhere on AACA Facebook page is a video of the Mercer being started.

It was a great Hershey for the most part.  One thing I have never seen (or at least noticed) before this year were people riding bicycles, a few children on foot propelled scooters, and some adults on gas/electric scooters.  There were announcements that they were not allowed.  However, I was surprised to see that.

• Like 2

Had a great time. Walked as much as I could Thursday and Friday. The show was great and having a car entered was great.  Thanks to the Hershey region, and all involved. Was sooo good to be back at Hershey. ❤️

245234614_4408132389304159_1482115409538425020_n.jpg

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, bill pritchett said:

It was a great Hershey for the most part.  One thing I have never seen (or at least noticed) before this year were people riding bicycles, a few children on foot propelled scooters, and some adults on gas/electric scooters.  There were announcements that they were not allowed.  However, I was surprised to see that.

May I use my personal golf cart to travel around the fields?

You can use your personal electric mobility vehicle--2 occupant maximum--(no gasoline powered vehicles) after it is registered at one of three registration areas. 

(A Hershey AACA Rep replied to my handicapped friend's question about bringing a scooter)  You may bring your own electric personal mobility vehicle. (2 Occupant electric golf carts and personal ECV's only).  Handicapped placards are required for parking in the handicapped areas. If you decide to bring your own ECV it must be registered at the North end of the Hersheypark Maintenance building beside the Hersheypark Stadium, on the West side of the Giant Center, or on the South Chocolate Field next to the Hershey Region Hospitality Tent close to light pole #61. We have been noticing an increase of unsafe driving habits by handicapped vehicle operators.  A few of these "reckless" individuals have been involved in accidents.  Please drive your ECV carefully.

What more amazed and annoyed me was the overabundance of golf carts especially the supersized 6 passenger and 4x4 style. 

Often driven too fast and in a manner that indicated the person behind the wheel expected pedestrians to get out of their way!!!! 

IMO it is highly unlikely they were all approved for use by legitimate handicapped persons.  

Edited by CarFreak (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I agree there were more larger carts that I remembered from previous years.  Funny, all of the people with me, including myself, kept referring to last year and then had to correct it to two years ago.  Lots of the same but also lots of changes.  One thing I and others with me missed were the Hershey chocolate tents by the Giant Arena and Hershey tent.

An amazing week, huge support for the AACA, raffle car, pedal car auction.   AACA's new building was a huge hit.  Great seeing everyone here and according to numerous reports the vendors that were there did well.  I had several tell me they had a record year and out 2021 T-shirt sold out.  looking forward to sleep (still in the office today!) and 2022.

• Like 9

It was a great Hershey overall.  I sold a Buick just before Hershey and brought a load of extra and left over parts for it, as well as from a 64 Wildcat I sold a number of years ago.  Otherwise I let loose of a few extra 39 Buick parts I could spare and a few books for the same.  I found crowds slow in my part of the Chocalate field, but what Buick buyers who did come through were serious and I had a good Hershey.  This is the first I've sold in many years as most years when I was on the Board there was too much work to do.  One thing I saw every kind of motorized transportation drive by you could think of, including peddle bikes, Model T's, and even one large modern sedan with six guys in it.  They reminded me of six Mafia guys LOL.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Joe Block said:

I walk around 15,000 steps 6-7 mile each day.   The car show was almost overwhelming with so many and such a large variety of automobile and other vehicle.

Not to top you, but to reinforce the size/ magnitude of the swap meet, I put on over 30,000 steps on both Wed & Th and 17,000 on Friday. My feet hurt but it was worth it.

• Like 1

We saw a group of 4 on Segway's. I hope I spelled that right?!? The smaller crowds in the swap meet probably reduced the number of accidents. I always smile when I see someone pushing their bike thru the fields- some people still follow the rules!

• Like 3

As a long time car guy my first trip to Hershey was outstanding! First Junior on the Sport Fury was just icing on the cake. The banquet I thought was very nice and lived up to my expectations. Even picked up some automotive art from Dave Snyder prior to dinner. This mornings visit to the museum did not disappoint  as well. Really enjoyed the trip, the people & of course the cars! Thanks Mark Alpine! Looking forward to next year! 

20211009_095457.jpg

20211009_232647.jpg

Edited by 64SportFury426 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Lozierman said:

The Mercer belongs to Fred Hoch.  He is a very fine gentlemen.

Yes, absolutely, he’s a fine gentleman indeed.  As the old saying goes, what he doesn’t know about Mercers isn’t worth knowing.  He knows other cars too of course, but Mercer is his specialty.  

• Like 4

This year’s edition of Fall Hershey was, in several ways, the most gratifying one of the nearly twenty October visits I’ve made to the best classic motor vehicle event in existence. 

Perhaps it was much sweeter because we were not able to enjoy things last year; maybe it was because there seemed to be some sense of actual normalcy, even though (sadly) our friends to the north and around the world faced restrictions from attending.

But it was also the way things fell so nicely into place, regarding the weather prognostications that seemed to tell us we faced gloom and rains each day—none of which ever manifested itself, save for a brief fifteen minute or so light misty drizzle on Saturday morning, a couple of hours before judging commenced.  Even the drive home on Sunday, which was also to be as problematic with rains as Saturday was supposed to be but never was, ended up being clear (well, cloudy and foggy, but no rain!) sailing.

Finally, it was gratifying to spend the week with my good friends from Pennsylvania at the swap meet each day, and I am pretty sure everyone whom I knew was at the show who knew me, took the time to visit me on Saturday during the show, and somehow found me during the times I was actually at my car, and not galavanting around taking as many pictures as I could of all the beautiful examples of classics that I do admire and love.

I could literally post hundreds of pictures, but I will limit them to a couple of my 1962 Oldsmobile Starfire Coupe, my pride and joy.

And as always, while I am basking in the glow of another Hershey Week in the books, I am already looking forward to next year.   

I hope everyone had as wonderful of a time as I did, and made it home safely.

02BADE44-F430-4D52-969A-BEEEAFB68DC1.jpeg

ADD811EC-A259-461F-981D-DD328F0F18A3.jpeg

• Like 2