Hershey Observations

leomara

great as always.  but its time to look at the flea market. and spaces.   I think the aaca officials should send out a letter. to all the vendors and see who wants to sell parts.  and see who just buys a space to park their car.    tons of rows just had a few spaces selling.     I know. its their space. but maybe they could condense the show.  and still allow the old vendors to get a space to park in 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, thunderbird sunroof said:

great as always.  but its time to look at the flea market. and spaces.   I think the aaca officials should send out a letter. to all the vendors and see who wants to sell parts.  and see who just buys a space to park their car.    tons of rows just had a few spaces selling.     I know. its their space. but maybe they could condense the show.  and still allow the old vendors to get a space to park in 

While they are at it they could end the 25 year old rule that had caused all the additional show field coverage. 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

While they are at it thy could end the 25 year old rule that had caused all the additional show field coverage. 

Just think, next year a 1997 Econoline could be on the show field, heart be still!

A2FE4904-2498-4C38-BAC0-28E253B76C87.png

• Haha 3

Wish I still had my E350, it hauled my 1912 T to Hershey a few times. You can also fit a disassembled 1926 T Touring car inside one and close the doors. Sent the 1997 Lincoln Town Car to the crusher the week before Hershey, points gained from my wife...priceless. 

19 hours ago, bill pritchett said:

Yes, I agree there were more larger carts that I remembered from previous years.  Funny, all of the people with me, including myself, kept referring to last year and then had to correct it to two years ago.  Lots of the same but also lots of changes.  One thing I and others with me missed were the Hershey chocolate tents by the Giant Arena and Hershey tent.

They were selling the Hershey candy products at the Hershey Sports store that is just inside the Giant Center front doors.

Not that I need it, but I could not find the Hershey candy either. Not the same going home without a giant block of reeses cup!

Also, I was looking for but could not find Old Cars. I did find Hemmings and wanted to re-up my subscription but the nice lady there said they were not doing any subscription! I thought she was joking at first then she repeated and said no. She also said they were cutting way back on their event attendance! I suppose the writing is on the wall, not between the pages. 

5 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Not that I need it, but I could not find the Hershey candy either. Not the same going home without a giant block of reeses cup!

Also, I was looking for but could not find Old Cars. I did find Hemmings and wanted to re-up my subscription but the nice lady there said they were not doing any subscription! I thought she was joking at first then she repeated and said no. She also said they were cutting way back on their event attendance! I suppose the writing is on the wall, not between the pages. 

I have had a hair across my fanny over Hemmings for a long time.   It would not have been hard for them to take subscriptions.  

• Haha 1

Kerry, funny I let my HMN subscription lapse this year, I have been subscribing since age 14, or 44 years now.  They sent a renewal offer for $20 and I bit, not wanting to be tied up resubscribing at Hershey to max time spent with dad this year, I guess it was a good call.

Step inside Giant Center next time for candy.  And great ice cream actually. 😋

• Like 1

I thought the same. Being a business owner, my philosophy is if someone wants to give me money, take it!  I re-upped at Carlisle a couple of years ago. Was going to do the same this past spring but they were not there. I think my sub is still good, but who knows it seems like I get a magazine when ever one feels like being delivered.

I saw a sign for food at the Giant center, and had my sights set else where so I didnt even bother going in. I have been to Hershey many times, not as many as most here, and have never been in there. Guess I will check in next year.

Speaking of food.. Under recommendation of Terry B ( I think ), I decided to try the crab cake sandwich. Being a Marylander living on the upper eastern shore, I can say I am very picky about what a real crab cake is and how it should be made. I give the vendor a 7/10. It was actually pretty good for a food truck. For the price it was a 9/10.  

Edited by TAKerry (see edit history)

On 10/10/2021 at 1:31 PM, CarFreak said:

Yep, I got pics from the show Saturday and video too.  Then a Noo Joisey jerk stepped right in front of me.  He couldn't figure out why I then stepped in front of his camera.  I was going to turn around and educate him when his fellow Joisey-ites stopped to talk to him.  My friend said Joisey jerk was confused by my actions.  Really.  

So where are you from? Ehr Ah Bahston? I never met more arrogant people than Red Sox fans

1 hour ago, TAKerry said:

I saw a sign for food at the Giant center, and had my sights set else where so I didnt even bother going in. I have been to Hershey many times, not as many as most here, and have never been in there. Guess I will check in next year.

Speaking of food.. Under recommendation of Terry B ( I think ), I decided to try the crab cake sandwich. Being a Marylander living on the upper eastern shore, I can say I am very picky about what a real crab cake is and how it should be made. I give the vendor a 7/10. It was actually pretty good for a food truck. For the price it was a 9/10.  

Terry Bond is the guy.  I’m not much of a sea food person🤷‍♂️.

Maybe I missed it, but I noticed that Restoration Supply, Snyders Model T parts, and Dennis Carpenter Ford parts did not bring anything to sell like past years.  Is there something going on with the suppliers or the Penn tax department that is is not worth the effort to sell at Hershey/ Penn any more?  I was looking forward to getting some parts from two of the three businesses. 

We have been across from Restoration Supply for many years.  They did not bring all their stuff because at Hershey a lot of their sales are to foreigners who were not there this year.  Also, they could not rent the large tent they usually had.  The tent company did not have enough laborers to supply them.

44 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

We have been across from Restoration Supply for many years.  They did not bring all their stuff because at Hershey a lot of their sales are to foreigners who were not there this year.  Also, they could not rent the large tent they usually had.  The tent company did not have enough laborers to supply them.

I think the lack of our Canadian and European friends accounted for a lot of the reduction in traffic.   Everybody I know in the US seemed to be there this year.

Without starting a political pissing match it is hard to understand how businesses are not able to provide services because of lack of help yet unemployment remains very high.  

• Like 4

I will say vendor feedback was sales were pretty good overall.  Many of those who came were buying. 

I am not sure this has been covered but in general terms for both cars and parts I saw a steady market.  Maybe not red hot, but not ice cold either.  No one was buying $100 NOS fenders that I could see.

The tent issue impacted a LOT of folks.  The biggest tent suppliers had no work force  Some tents are STILL not down yet.  One  tent company left full water barrels out blocking removal of a trailer for awhile.  Such is the state of things around here now.  Yes, Carpenters and others have done a order only business in the last few years rather than deal with the tax issue.  

53 minutes ago, MetroPetro said:

I was fortunate this year to meet and speak with several posters from this site. Glad to have met you guys in person there!

I also met many of the people who post comments on these great forums. SO nice to see people in person, thanks for so many people coming up to say hello ( including MetroPetro!!)  We all have great memories now to call upon to get us through the coming Winter, perhaps have some things to work on over the Winter months as well that we found at Hershey.

• Like 2

Part of the reason a lot of vendors like carpenter, Snyders and Restoration didn't bring as much is it is all sitting on ships waiting to be unloaded.  They can't get the parts.

Hemmings may not be taking subscriptions as they don't want the liability on the books and added expense of refunds if they are shutting down print operations.  I don't know that they are but every magazine I have worked with over the last 45 years or so that was ceasing publication stopped taking subs about six months before they announced.  They would actually trash checks for renewals and new subs.  Once liability was low enough they would stop and not issue refunds as the cost was greater than the liability. Then they would sell off the list to another vendor to cover the left over liability. The way of the magazine world.  

dave s 

23 hours ago, TerryB said:

Terry Bond is the guy.  I’m not much of a sea food person🤷‍♂️.

Yup, I had the pleasure of smelling all that good food the whole time.  I think I gained 5lbs just by smelling!  The crab cakes were a great flea market lunch -tasty and generous sized.  There was a lot of great food (among other things) there this year.  It was a super event.  More to come once I get through photos and sort our my stuff.  Still haven't finished unpacking the truck yet.

Really enjoyed stopping to visit with Walt.  Always a pleasure!

Terry

20211007_134120.jpg

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 3

When the P.A. Announcer said, " Now to Honor America, we will play our National Anthem", I realized, for me,  how much that was missed, and what a great way to start off every day at  Hershey ! What we take for granted and complain about, I think we keep missing the point. We should be so grateful just to be able to be there, looking at cars, digging through parts, meet with friends, and enjoy the show. The weather was good , the cars were great, and , as always, the people were spectacular! 

I want to thank the Hershey Region of the AACA for all their hard work, and  thank Steve Moskowitz, ( who after all these years I finally met) , for all that he does in to make Hershey the Greatest Car Show On Earth. Thanks, John S.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

On 10/10/2021 at 3:39 PM, Lozierman said:

The Mercer belongs to Fred Hoch.  He is a very fine gentlemen.

And he's from New Jersey!

On 10/11/2021 at 2:19 PM, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Kerry, funny I let my HMN subscription lapse this year, I have been subscribing since age 14, or 44 years now. 

Did you ever have your copy of HMN taken away by a school teacher until class was over??  😏  (I did!!)

Craig

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

Part of the reason a lot of vendors like carpenter, Snyders and Restoration didn't bring as much is it is all sitting on ships waiting to be unloaded.  They can't get the parts.

Hemmings may not be taking subscriptions as they don't want the liability on the books and added expense of refunds if they are shutting down print operations.  I don't know that they are but every magazine I have worked with over the last 45 years or so that was ceasing publication stopped taking subs about six months before they announced.  They would actually trash checks for renewals and new subs.  Once liability was low enough they would stop and not issue refunds as the cost was greater than the liability. Then they would sell off the list to another vendor to cover the left over liability. The way of the magazine world.  

dave s 

Dave, thats what I am 'reading behind the lines' so to speak. I hope it doesnt go away but I see the content getting less with each issue and also overlap between publications. 

2 hours ago, 8E45E said:

Did you ever have your copy of HMN taken away by a school teacher until class was over??  😏  (I did!!)

Craig

Ha, no but I do recall the time some relatives at a family gathering were commenting "what is that brown book he is always reading" 😁

I re-upped but since I really didn't miss it much over the past few months this may be it. 

I guess hobby exposure is good, but most articles are not that interesting to me and they now comprise half of HMN.  

4 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Ha, no but I do recall the time some relatives at a family gathering were commenting "what is that brown book he is always reading" 😁

I re-upped but since I really didn't miss it much over the past few months this may be it. 

I guess hobby exposure is good, but most articles are not that interesting to me and they now comprise half of HMN.  

Yes, agree there is less of interest for me. Pre 16 section might as well not even exist. Guess it's just evolution, but still sad to see it moving away from true antique cars. I do enjoy the features sometimes but I now just skim thru it whereas I used to read it front to back at least twice 

Terry

• Like 2

I will be brief as this is not quite on topic. Publications - content - there is much interest in postwar cars now and I feel an emphasis is now focused on that . Heck my 27 year old son looks at a 1970 car as something old, but does appreciate the pre war cars in my garage. More stuff at Hershey is seen of the post war era because of the rules of the 25 year old or older designation by AACA . I am fine with that. BUT I do not see any diminished interest in pre WWII era parts, history  or automoilia. I did not bring much postwar stuff to sell at Hershey - don't have much because I focus on the WWI to WWII era. What I had there was things I thinned from my own collection and sold very very well.

As an aside if anyone says there is a lessening of interest in pre WWII vehicles or their history - go look at the thread on "Period Images to help relieve some of the stress" that was started in March 2020. I am not touting that thread or waving flags of any sort, but the number of people who have looked at it and continue to do so seem not to be diminishing . Perhaps the content of publications need to be rethought by their editors? Did the articles in Hemmings drift away from what their readers found of interest but weren't vocal enough to state that? 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

Perhaps the content of publications need to be rethought by their editors? Did the articles in Hemmings drift away from what their readers found of interest but weren't vocal enough to state that? 

I like The Automobile magazine from England, because they focus on Pre-war, and lots of emphasis on Edwardian cars from the UK, the Continent, and the US.  At one time, they were exclusively pre-1950, then pre-1960, but now covers some rare and obscure cars into the 1970's if its interesting enough.

Craig

• Like 1

Just now, 8E45E said:

I like The Automobile magazine from England, because they focus on Pre-war, and lots of emphasis on Edwardian cars from the UK, the Continent, and the US.  At one time, they were exclusively pre-1950, then pre-1960, but now covers some rare and obscure cars into the 1970's if its interesting enough.

Craig

Craig I can appreciate what you state about The Automobile magazine from England. I knew the first Editor well and his attitude and observation of what readers wanted to see was "spot on" as the British are fond of saying.

Richard Lentinello is another Editor that can 'feel the pulse' of what car collectors want to see - this also helps post war car enthusiasts perhaps understand and appreciate an era that is unknown to them or even a bit intimidating. ( where do you find parts ?, how do you keep a car running well that is a century old ?

where do you find information to even work on one?)

Walt

On 10/12/2021 at 5:48 PM, 1937hd45 said:

So was the MERCER!

R (11).jpg

Fred Hoch runs the Schaeffer & Long restoration shop in Magnolia NJ.  Fred was mentored early in his career by the great Mercer restorer Ralph Buckley.  Many Mercer cars on the road today would not be running without Fred's help and advice. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 21raceabout said:

Strangest thing we saw in the chocolate field south on Wednesday was one of those Amazon trucks driving through with a very confused looking driver trying to make a delivery.

And the people at the gate allowed him to enter without proper credentials?!?!

My observations are for Saturday only (since that was the only day I could attend).

• Nice drive up from Rockville Maryland with reasonable traffic
  • The show was its usual high quality with many seldom seen brands
  • Not much meat on the bones in the car corral area. I was not interested in buying but take academic interest in what is available, especially 55-57 T-Birds. I only saw one on the Orange Field. Plenty of cars masquerading as empty spaces
  • Only looked around the orange and greed field. Most vendors were closing up by the time I made it over there. As always, the decision to switch the show field to its location on the golf course makes for a significant hike to see any of the fields past the Giant Center.
  • Trip home uneventful except for a flying Corvair wheel cover (see separate thread) and stop at a gas station that featured 90 octane with no ethanol among its other choices. I convinced myself that paying the extra $1 a gallon was worth it.

Next year will be very interesting with the change in schedule. Can't wait to see how it goes.1227131269_Hershey2021.jpg.7b864737cb2b41eec6fa21d1766e6d5b.jpg

• Like 1