Antique car parts and E-Bay

Str8-8-Dave

I follow 1930-1932 Buick car and parts listings on the E-Bay Motors section of E-Bay and have noticed a drastic reduction in legitimate original parts listings for these cars.  Instead of seeing legitimate original parts listings you get pages of what I call "filler fodder", a few antique car parts and pages of aftermarket and unrelated junk like tilt steering wheel columns for hot rods that say "Fits 1931 Buick", seat belts, even dog theme refrigerator magnets that have nothing to do with 1931 Buick

I used to sell all kinds of stuff on E-Bay but have stopped because of numerous seller restrictions added by E-Bay.  E-Bay has also changed their relationship with Pay-Pal.  E-Bay used to be a good resource for finding all kinds of stuff including 1931 Buick parts because it is an international platform. 

For those of you who have sold on E-Bay in the past I pose a question.  Is the reduction in listings for original parts on E-Bay because their policy changes have made it a hassle to sell there or is the supply of original parts just drying up?  

The problem is that ebay goes out of their way to show sellers how to increase viewing of an ad by incorporating search terms that muck it up for the rest of us. The "fits xxxxxx" terms in an ad that causes those LED headlights and steering columns to pop up in a targeted search are about as annoying as car warranty robocalls. I've incorporated the "- fits" term in all my searches, which really reduces the noise. Keep in mind that the supply of 50, 75, or 90 year old car parts is drying up. Of course there will be fewer items for sale.

• Like 5

Selecting the word USED under condition on the left hand side reduces the nonsense in half. As Joe said, the sellers attach keywords now making it almost impossible to filter out everything. The problem with using filters is you might miss that one part you're looking for if seller listed another way than you filter. 

image.png.a0ca1468fd4f8b8faf90e2f2a4f361cc.png

Take for instance Not Specified. After I look at the used parts I try Not Specified and I never look at new because I know the parts I need won't be listed under new. Unless they are 1930 NOS parts which they never are...

• Like 4

eBay also lost lots of sellers when, in order to sell, you had to link your bank account with your account.  I still have lots of good 1939 parts that I took down because of this.  

If you learn how to search effectively, using some of the tips in the of the previous posts, you can get good results.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Str8-8-Dave said:

Very good feedback guys- Thanks and please keep it coming.  I will try the sorting filter tips- those are great ideas...

Whenever you do not want to see a posting, type "- fits" or "- advertisement" or "- brochure" or....

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

How many more genuine 1930-32 Buick parts can there be left after 90 years?  Same for Dodge, Chrysler, Hudson and so on.  Ford Model A seems to go on as their popularity endured and continues to do so.  I sold two parts in my MoPar stuff stash, a 1930s trunk hinge and a universal joint to people who could not find them anywhere.  But for me, that’s it I have no more.  The next person who needs an item like this will be back to beating the bushes for their needs.  My opinion- yes many parts are running out of supply or at least easy access.  The custom making of new parts will determine which cars and parts remain in supply.  The model A is a good example of continued interest in the car keeping the parts supply alive.  

I have to agree with Joe above, the notable reduction of early part availability on ebay is in part due to the simple fact that 80 year old parts are always disappearing with the passage of time.  To some extent it reminds me of my thought that many of those folks out crawling through swap meet tables at 0'dark-thirty are all looking for the last NOS Deuce Ford radiator shell in existence--at some point they are all going to be gone.  Despite that, there HAS been a significant reduction of parts for sale since ebay announced their new policies.  All of the various policies, PayPal, bank accounts, delays in payment (they used to call that 'check kiting') etc., seem to be tailored to make things more difficult for sellers.  I have been and will continue to be an ebay BUYER but before I resume selling I think I will set up a separate bank account to just service ebay, nothing else.  Give me a good 'ole well-attended swap meet any day.

• Like 4

I pack up the heavy stuff and drag it to Hershey, otherwise it is eBay for the other 51 weeks. Yes, the eBay staff is CLUELESS as to how vintage cars parts are listed, all their "helpful" search features are a total waist of time. I put up with it and keep on listing, main complaint is the lack of buyers. . Bob 

• Like 3

I've never sold on evil bay, don't intend to for all the reasons already discussed. For buyers, it's very frustrating to try to find things sometimes. I've often searched for "brass automobile headlamp" only to find hundreds of listings totally unrelated. Try searching for "Spark Plug" in the automobilia category and see the cap that turns up. Sometimes I'll try searching by year like "1911 automobile." Hundreds of things like gun parts will show up. I used to find a lot of cool stuff but I think Evil bay has screwed up their searches to include more stuff rather than relying on listers to more specifically list items. I'm like most others - no substitute for a good old fashioned swap meet where you can see and handle stuff, meet and talk with sellers, haggle a bit and enjoy the day.

See you at Hershey and the great pre war swap meet at Luray.

Terry

• Like 2

I get the feeling that there is still a lot of parts out there, but the people who can identify unmarked parts are becoming a rare thing.  As the owners pass away the people who end up with the parts often have no idea about what much of it is. And lots of it ends up in the scrap.  Loose , loose for everyone.

Add in factors like the pandemic cancelation of swap meets and it's easy to see that segments of the hobby are going to soon be in real trouble.  

• Like 1

Ebay lost a lot of sellers when they switched from paypal to managed payments. They lost a lot of sellers when they started sending Uncle Sam a 1099 showing every penny paid out to to the sellers. Sellers of items such as used or NOS antique auto parts has likely shrunk 50% or more because many of them only sold as a hobby, not a business and have no intention of reporting sales on their taxes. 

I still sell on ebay and a lot of items find eager buyers but good parts also get harder and harder to find for those of us beating the bushes. I hope to see many of you at Hershey. We'll have three big trailer loads of parts ranging from brass era up thru the 50's, Model A to Whippet. Just found 25-30 early rims in a chicken house that had obviously been there for many years. I plan to bring them all.

Parts are often misidentified as "Model T", or for wrong years, or in a wrong subcategory.  You have to cast a wider net by searching for a wider range of years to see everything.  Try searching for "unknown old car part" and see what parts show up.   Sometimes I recognize a Buick part incorrectly identified, and I will send the seller a note to inform them.  They usually write back to tell me that parts were left over from a car their father restored years earlier and they had no idea what the part was. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

I pack up the heavy stuff and drag it to Hershey, otherwise it is eBay for the other 51 weeks. Yes, the eBay staff is CLUELESS as to how vintage cars parts are listed, all their "helpful" search features are a total waist of time. I put up with it and keep on listing, main complaint is the lack of buyers. . Bob 

Same here, I have been doing pretty well with it. I selling some nice 40's early 50's Chevrolet NOS Accessories and getting top dollar, mostly the CA lo-rider crowd. 99.9% good customers but that .1% seems to be all playing the same game trying to rebox my good item with a bad or broken item that they already have. They all have 0 or 1 feedback but know the rules better them me. It is easier then Hershey for small high dollar stuff

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

I get the feeling that there is still a lot of parts out there, but the people who can identify unmarked parts are becoming a rare thing.  As the owners pass away the people who end up with the parts often have no idea about what much of it is. And lots of it ends up in the scrap.  Loose , loose for everyone.

Add in factors like the pandemic cancelation of swap meets and it's easy to see that segments of the hobby are going to soon be in real trouble.  

A take-out from this discussion is we need to ensure that if we fall under a bus, the person unlucky enough to have to wander into our shed(s) to work out what to do with our "stuff" will find shelves neatly labelled with what cars the parts are off.

39 minutes ago, Borough Essex said:

A take-out from this discussion is we need to ensure that if we fall under a bus, the person unlucky enough to have to wander into our shed(s) to work out what to do with our "stuff" will find shelves neatly labelled with what cars the parts are off.

I need to somehow organize the file cabinets of literature and related paperwork, otherwise it was collected and lost in my lifetime. 

• Like 1

Although I have in the past, I'd rather give my miscellaneous parts away than sell on ebay now. That said, I do use it to purchase industrial bits...cutters, reamers etc. It's the one area where I find it still to be worthwhile although this is because these are mostly expensive items when new but difficult or impossible to sell as "2nd hand".

As to car parts, my interest is pre-WWI. There never was much and there may be less now. Mostly I find idiotic "Buy it Now" prices on "rare" things (usually misidentified and not rare at all) with keywords that make no sense – brazenly displaying the seller's ignorance and/or greed. Where I once checked ebay every day, I now find I am not doing it for a week or more and very rarely seeing anything worth looking at

If one thing does irritate me, it's doing a search for Pre-1932 cars and getting 90% hot rods - most of which haven't got anything old on them except maybe a piece of sheet metal.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 3

If I want to sell something on e bay I ask my son to do the task. I usually only sell once a year in person and that is at Hershey, but that in the past several years when it was held had become a balancing act for patience for buyers who are ( now I am going to be nice here ) "economical" as to what they want to pay for pre WWII era car stuff, most of it is not mechanical that I bring. After so many decades I am weary of the "do betta"  "I'll give yaz"  crowd. I look at it from the standpoint of 1) cost of spaces 2) effort to pick out and prince things - which I deem fair ( as in could you make it for that kind of $) - so I don't have to cart home. Discount/take less - on a $30 item that hasn't been produced in over 80 years and is in good to excellent condition, maybe even NOS?  The dreamers/schemers abound.

I price everything, the new word is "bundle" as in will you take a lot less for a number of things ( thanks to the American Pickers tv show)  I will make a sign and place it on the stand I can point to that will state " No Do Bedda"s " considered.

• Like 4

Hi Walt, I am sure your parts are generally very nice and I expect fairly priced.  Personally I figure that parts I am selling have no future use to me and might as well go home with someone else. So if a person is buying several items I am 90 % of the time willing to give a 20 - 25 % discount on a package purchase.  On the odd item my price will be firm but that is the exception and on most of those items I expect to take them home again. 

I don't sell at many swap meets, but I have always been quite happy at the end of the day.  Things that have been sitting around for a few years { decades in some cases } are no longer collecting dust , and my wallet is recharged.  As long as I come home with less than I left with my Wife is even happy. 

• Like 2

Isn't that half the fun, bargaining with each other at swap meets and having a good time?

(never had the pleasure of attending Hershey)

Most of us grew up horse trading... hell, I even negotiate at the retail level and some folks think I'm joking but I've bought a ton of things at discount that way, even retail...

Rare parts are a completely different animal though... I don't budge as a seller and nor do I expect another seller to budge on rare parts. 

Example:

I need a mirror bracket for my truck and am willing to pay up to $300-$400 for it just because I know I cannot find it anywhere and it's exclusive to my year and model, but when it comes to parts like hubcaps, gauges or other items that were interchangeable with many other models and years I will always negotiate. 

I totally agree about growing up and going to a flea market and then asking if the $ can be lowered a reasonable amount. But as stated as well if it is an odd part not often encountered then  - no. Most of the stuff I am parting with was not bought in a large group for resale, it is what I have collected for my collection for decades, now time to see some of it leave so my son won't have to deal with it when I pass. Guess I just get the "do bedda" types in proliferation at Hershey along with the good folks /collectors. I am just at a point I do not have the patience for trying to reason with someone for a sale for 10 minutes or more. If I see something I want to buy it usually is unusual so do not try to get a 70% discount. DO any of us "need" this , no. But the fact we want it means we have spent considerable $ on gasoline, hotel accommodations ( Hershey is a week) , food  and I have never heard of anyone or witnessed anyone trying to get a discount at a gas station, hotel check in /out desk nor ask a waitress if "can you do better on the dinner invoice?". You don't do it, but on something that as mentioned is 80+ years old , yeah sure.

Has anyone here ever walked up to the entrance at Pebble Beach and said - "Give yaz $35 for the entrance fee"? Would you even consider doing so?

I believe I have mentioned this here some time ago but perhaps to repeat it again. Decades ago when there was a Blue Field at Hershey for a flea market ( now Roller coaster land) a great friend from Mass. named Phil Dumka was a literature dealer. Phil always wore a Greek fisherman's cap that was popular to do about 45 years ago. He was a great collector of Cadillac literature. He had a stand/space under a small tent and we were standing and talking for some time. A fellow came up and started to look through Phil's boxes of literature. The guy took a long time to ponder a pile of 1957 Ford folders that Phil had about a half dozen or more of . The guy looked at everyone - most were NOS but one had a tiny fold to a corner - probably from someone looking then not buying anything previously and stuffing it back in an envelope. Phil looked at me and rolled his eyes without saying anything , we both smiled. Finally the perspective customer pulls one out and says " this one has a fold to it, I'll give yaz $3.00"  The price marked was $5.00 for a large full color all models folder. Phil asked to see it and the guy handed it to him, Phil looked at it, looked at the guy, then me and proceeded to tear a large corner off the sales folder which he laid down on the table offered the now incomplete and damaged folder back to the guy and said "this is the $3.00 version" . I thought the guy was going to pass out! he shuddered , turned deathly white and just backed of and walked away. I looked at Phil and had a dropped jaw in reaction and Phil smiling and in complete joy told me " I wanted to do that for the past 20 years, glad you my friend were here to witness it". I had to sit down I was laughing so hard out of breath.

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

One of the reasons I rely on E-Bay is access.  I'm past the age and in poor enough health to have any ambition to go to large swap meets like Hershey.  I've also had some luck on this website with folks who answered my Want to Buy postings with parts, some even went to Hershey and were set aside and brought back to me in Michigan. 

I would love to have someone figure out how to put big swap meets on line so they could be accessed by buyers and parts requests could be accessed by sellers.  If you coupled that with some on site shipping like having a UPS an or FEDEX booth transactions could be handled by Pay-Pal and shipped from the event.  

I don't like to bring stuff home from a swap meet and most of what I take I am into for nothing.

To me its more like cleaning out the garage and if I think someone would be interested I throw it in a pile and take it to the swap meet.

If it was a economics thing I would have quit years ago.

Its a party thing and I like that atmosphere.

Myself and a few of my best friends have been doing it for years at Portland. 

They let us camp in the booth at the race track and the one guy that sells at Expo (where they make you leave) joins us for the evenings.

I just about NEVER buy anything.....Maybe a beer or some food, but my Motor coach is in my booth so don't even need to buy that.

Oh yea, I will often buy a straw bale or two to throw on the ground if its wet (which it usually is).

I feel for the guys that are trying to make a living this way. Takes all the fun out of it.

• Like 2

For the past ten years or so, I have been labeling my stored parts. If someone has to list them for sale when I'm gone, they will know what it is.

I have been both buying and selling on eBay for over 20 years now, and people have been bitching about it since day one. If it's not one thing, it's another. I remember when you could request payment by USPS money order (sure as cash with no PayPal fees), give difficult buyers negative feedback and not have to pay fees on shipping. Each time eBay changes something, it makes a small-time, specialized seller's life more difficult. But one has to roll with the punches. Like it or not, they are basically a monopoly because no other platform has the same worldwide exposure and critical mass. If you need to sell, you play by their rules. It's the cost of doing business. For every seller of Raremobile parts who storms off in a huff after yet another stupid change, there are ten new sellers who will gladly sell you a steering wheel cover that "fits" your 1902 Raremobile, so eBay doesn't care. 

As for buying, just play around with keyword searches and filters until you have most of the junk weeded out, and then save that search. 

• Like 7

On 8/21/2021 at 9:18 PM, Borough Essex said:

I spent an entire summer labeling all of my parts and yes, it took an entire summer. Everything now is in alphabetical order with a tag that indicates the type of car,  years of use, name of part and then current value. I was so happy that I did this and told my wife that now, if anything happened to me, she would still be able to sell the parts. Her reply....

”the minute you’re gone, all that crap is going in a dumpster!”

Wish I had that summer back!!

Edited by yachtflame (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

On 8/21/2021 at 9:18 PM, Borough Essex said:

My family has that ability built in. It's the same reaction that keeps them from eating rotten food.

Disgusted? Good. It could be beneficial to your health, a new study shows

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Yes, the "fits" is a fraud on eBay. There should be a way for prospective buyers to filter out universal parts and fasteners when looking for specific stuff. Maybe there is and I'm just not savvy to it.

I still buy old car related items on eBay, and have decent luck, but you have to have a sixth sense about how knowledgeable the seller really is. That requires that you get very familiar with your vehicle and that you never take claims in ads at face value.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, JamesR said:

Yes, the "fits" is a fraud on eBay. There should be a way for prospective buyers to filter out universal parts and fasteners when looking for specific stuff. Maybe there is and I'm just not savvy to it.

I still buy old car related items on eBay, and have decent luck, but you have to have a sixth sense about how knowledgeable the seller really is. That requires that you get very familiar with your vehicle and that you never take claims in ads at face value.

Yes, you should know more about your car than the seller.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 5:18 AM, yachtflame said:

I spent an entire summer labeling all of my parts and yes, it took an entire summer. Everything now is in alphabetical order with a tag that indicates the type of car,  years of use, name of part and then current value. I was so happy that I did this and told my wife that now, if anything happened to me, she would still be able to sell the parts. Her reply....

”the minute you’re gone, all that crap is going in a dumpster!”

Wish I had that summer back!!

You need a friend in the hobby to give your wife a couple hundred dollars to haul off all your remaining car parts after your demise. Get a contract drawn up and at least you will know on your deathbed that the stuff won't go into the dumpster.

• Like 3