Leaving the old car hobby, selling everything, fare thee well

trimacar

I'm done.  The cars have become too much of a burden, and when that happens, it's just no fun.

Have been doing some retreats at the Trappist site not far from me, about 10 miles away.  Trappist Monks. What serenity, with no oil leaks nor cursing at tools, nor promised work not delivered, nor outrageous prices for parts, nor....but I digress, which is one thing I can't do while meditating.

This will be my last post, as I'm joining the order this evening, and while it's not quite a vow of silence, it's close.  Only necessary words must be used.  That's a tough one for me, of course.

I'll thus get rid of all my cars.

Due to Monk regulations I can't outright gift my cars to the Monastery, nor can I advertise them for sale, as that would mean I'd have to explain things in detail to prospective buyers.  The detail is important to me, though maybe not to some.

I've worked a deal that if they sell 10,000 fruitcakes, then I can freely advertise and tell falsehoods...errrr..facts, about the cars....please buy a fruitcake and get me talking cars again..albeit only briefly, as that damn.....uh, darn vow of silence is a tough one.

Thanks, it's been a fun ride, now on to Vespers......

Holy Cross Abbey – Clarke County Virginia (virginiatrappists.org)

• Haha 13

I can't respond fully to all the comments, as the Head Monk has told me to start transitioning to silence, but he gave me a few hours to clean up my past life.

I told him a few hours wouldn't begin to clean it up, but that's another story.

Nice place, come visit and I'll chant with you.  Very peaceful, though the Monks have already criticized my singing voice, as they say it makes the resident cats angry.

More to come I'm sure....

• Haha 3

I wonder if junkyards could be considered monasteries for cars? Life at a monastery sounds rewarding. My wife and I used to watch the Cadfael series and enjoyed it very much. Of course, he got to solve murders now and then to break up the monotony.

In all seriousness, though, I do admire and appreciate people who devote their lives to spiritual pursuits. Best wishes to those at Holy Cross Abbey.

5 minutes ago, JamesR said:

I wonder if junkyards could be considered monasteries for cars? Life at a monastery sounds rewarding. My wife and I used to watch the Cadfael series and enjoyed it very much. Of course, he got to solve murders now and then to break up the monotony.

In all seriousness, though, I do admire and appreciate people who devote their lives to spiritual pursuits. Best wishes to those at Holy Cross Abbey.

Amen. Seriously.  Have visited the Abbey, and a life with no stress nor major responsibility has some appeal.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, trimacar said:

I can't respond fully to all the comments, as the Head Monk has told me to start transitioning to silence...

Would you mind if we call him a Monk Head? People call me something similar all the time so it just seems more natural to me. :)

Dave, sure hope you can keep the secret at the monastery.   The monks make the best beer!  Down the hall, the sisters are making cheese.   What else can you ask for in your old age than to spend your days in your bathrobe eating cheese and drinking beer? 

Terry

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

Dave, sure hope you can keep the secret at the monastery.   The monks make the best beer!  Down the hall, the sisters are making cheese.   What else can you ask for in your old age than to spend your days in your bathrobe eating cheese and drinking beer? 

Terry

Crap, I’m moving in tomorrow!

• Like 1

2 monks walk into a bar.First one is tall wearing a yellow derby hat,tennis sneakers  and carring a live rooster under one arm.

The second monk is shorter and wearing pink sunglasses ,a blue cowboy boot on one foot and a  women's red high heal shoe on the other .He is holding a trumpet in one hand and a lace bra in the other.

They both step up to the bar and the bartender says" ....

Oh! why go on,I'm sure you all have heard it before....best monk joke ever,right!

One of my old mothers told it to me years ago.Sticks with ya.

• Haha 1

What with your first collection wiped out with a sinkhole, I didn't think you'd recovered to create another that was more than a shadow of the previous one {R.I.P. '48 Tucker, Type 101 Bugatti, and the '30 Type B Tesla Pierce-Arrow}. If you have a stock of Corsicana Fruitcake from Corsicana, Texas I will consider buying some, if that will relieve you of some of your burdens, and your Cord 812.

Collin Street Bakery fruit cake: Still great after all these years

• Thanks 1

If the Brothers in Virginia don't work out abbey-wise, my cousin Guido told me about a much more exclusive one in the mountains above Boulder that takes the cake as far as a higher spiritual plane. No vow of silence or medieval robes but you had to have been to other planets. I believe it was called Cosmos Abbey.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Does this order make something 🥃 to soak the fruitcake in? 🙂

I know where the Anglican church is, where 340 and 522 split to go to White Post. Anywhere close to there? If they make 🥃 to soak the fruitcake in, do they sell that too? Inquiring minds wanna know before you stop talking!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flivverking said:

2 monks walk into a bar.First one is tall wearing a yellow derby hat,tennis sneakers  and carring a live rooster under one arm.

The second monk is shorter and wearing pink sunglasses ,a blue cowboy boot on one foot and a  women's red high heal shoe on the other .He is holding a trumpet in one hand and a lace bra in the other.

They both step up to the bar and the bartender says" ....

The Monks - Nice Legs Shame About Her Face ( TOTP ) 1979 - YouTube

Oh THANK YOU all for providing some mirth on forum just now. I had a catastrophic data drop out as I was updating 100 year old Eleanor’s Chrysler topic. I am sore. EXTREMELY sore. But you guys have put me on the mend. Thanks again,    -   CC 

7 hours ago, ericmac said:

Glad the post is a joke. You would have been missed.  Conversely,  as one of the few believers,  I actually like fruitcake...a lot. Maybe that's why I'm a psychologist?

You should splurge and order a fruitcake from the place mentioned, expensive but great....I’m the only person in my family who likes fruitcake....

Two summers ago my wife and I visited Bourbon country in Kentucky. An impromptu visit to the Abbey at Gethsemani was one of the highlights of our trip. Such a peaceful lifestyle certainly is appealing. And their fruitcakes are cured in Kentucky Bourbon...Man, that's tasty ! 

On the way to the Abbey for the fruit cake you could stop at Knolls' and get one of their Strawberry-Rhubarb pies, hot from the oven, a quart of cold milk and a fork - I guarantee you'll forget all about them fruitcakes with THAT if front of you!

With all that deliciousness available I realize I must stay away from abbeys where they make the stuff. I would not be able to resist such temptation.

My mama and grandma both made fruitcake, and would soak it in wine, brandy or other hooch. Mama made orange slice cake and used Grand Marnier or Cointreau to soak that. I remember she grumbled about the cost but fruitcake done right is not cheap to make.

Mama also made Lane Cake at Christmas. 'Nother expensive cake but it has always been one of my favorites.