Attractive Prewar Sedans

alsancle

1 hour ago, CHuDWah said:

Maybe not in the class of some cars in this thread but I think this one is attractive.  Rare too - only 750 made out of 5 million Model A.

31-fordor-deluxe-160C.jpg

One of my favorite Model A body styles and a 31 slant to boot!  Added bonus, not a lot of structural wood inside.  Very nice choice!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

One of my favorite Model A body styles and a 31 slant to boot!  Added bonus, not a lot of structural wood inside.  Very nice choice!

I should point out there is some disagreement as to production figures.  I've seen quotes of ~3200 and ~4900.  Those apparently include both slant and straight windshield 2-window blind backs.  In any case, it's a rare body style.

• Like 1

Here is a 120 we owned a few years back.  To me, an example of how a color can enhance certain bodies.  This is a correct and original to the car color, kind of different from usual black, blue or green on these Packards.  Havana Beige. Same reason we kept WWW, I replaced them due to age, but they give the sedan a bit of pop I think.  I like WWW best on post 34 models generally.

FB_IMG_1577498531538.jpg

• Like 4

I suppose since alsancle posted a picture of a superb Peerless, I should follow suit:

1341126588_Screenshot2019-12-25at12_16_33PM.png.91a92b3895002fd15112a1bb3402f565.pngUnless I'm mistaken and these are Marmon, Duesenberg studies, the design to the right is an unbuilt Peerless V-16 club sedan a' la Walter M. Murphy Co. I made a mistake on those 2 cars above; from an article on the V-16 Peerlesses, but the dual cowl on the left was a Cord design & the short-coupled sedan on the right was a Marmon design: both by the designer of the surviving Peerless V-16, Franklin Hershey. 

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1928 Peerless Model Six-91 5-Passenger Sedan owned by a Microsoft executive in Massachusetts on a rainy day, and as depicted in a Peerless Company sales brochure. The owner told me he drove someplace like Pennsylvania or New York to attend a big car show with his family just as visitors. Someone spotted this car in the parking lot and while they were walking around, the P.A. system came on and asked the owner of the black Peerless to please come to the registration booth. They were selected to be in a special area reserved for the best cars at the show, even though they were just spectators, and had to move their car over where the judges favorites were.

post-49853-143138108498_thumb.jpg.................................................................................img0405_58551.jpg

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 6

15 minutes ago, motoringicons said:

YES!!!!  I believe only two of these exists today-the car pictured here and the one owned by the CCCA Museum at Hickory Corners. A true, high performance, luxury sports car. 

That is the 734 in the ccca museum on the Gilmore campus.  Behind it is the ramp to the “c” barn

Edited by Cadillac Fan (see edit history)

Here is a very nice one off auto show sedan from my files........the car is very good looking, too bad the current owner isn't also.......maybe I can sell the owner the photograph.......he's kind of cheap!

image.png

• Like 9
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Ed: Any idea of when and where that color photo was taken?

Best guess is the mid west..........for some reason I want to say Ohio........It's AJ's car....he will probably know.  Now, only if I can get him to pry his wallet open and pay me for the thing.........

• Like 2

On 9/23/2020 at 9:24 PM, Laura S said:

My 1931 Franklin 151 Sedan.

F74B0F2C-E6E3-47B2-A971-906AA5181E9B.jpeg

Nice "look" - the blackwalls are really nice and I like the sidemount spare tire covers - this was one of the first high point Franklins I ever saw (about 1975-ish via Ed Wyle).  The only thing I miss was when it was first restored it had a tan undercarriage to match the fenders. 

• Like 2

On 9/23/2020 at 3:28 AM, 1935Packard said:

Bugatti Type 57 Galibier Saloon.

1331713460_ScreenShot2020-09-23at2_27_08AM.png.a849f5d649b2aed21be7e4619f687f3a.png

Does that car survive?  Other than the bustleback, this Bentley looks remarkably similar in proportion:  https://petrolicious.com/articles/the-long-lost-bentley-corniche-prototype-was-crashed-bombed-then-lost-now-its-been-resurrected-at-the-factory

It would be interesting to see the two together if this Type 57 Galibier survives.

Craig

40 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

Ed M, A. J., John M, Thrimacar, and at least a couple dozen others. Someday, somehow, I have got to spend about a month back East and meet you people face to face!

You will be disappointed.....

😎

To be fair, they are all a very nice bunch of gentleman.........and lots of fun. Come on out,AJ loves to buy dinner.......every year we try and find a more expensive restaurant.......it’s getting hard to find a place that charges more than 25 bucks for a cup of coffee. Hopefully the place we had planned this year will still be around next year. We have a lot of laughs every time we get together...........I would call them “the smile crew.” 👍

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, DLynskey said:

I always liked this Hupmobile with the cycle front fenders and suicide doors. Around 1932-1933 I believe.

Slide165.thumb.jpg.f960b5069dd7e6aa19cd27a3b56c5e45.jpg

Don

Well,I guess if you try hard enough, you can stuff side mounts on anything.

Can't say they were shy about the grill shell though.

1931 Franklin Sport Salon. One of twelve listed in the Franklin club roster. Car has low roof line, blind rear quarters, 100 hp air cooled motor,4 speed  transmission,and place for large trunk on the back between the fenders. This Franklin has large hydraulic brakes and good road gears  for speed on the highway. The car ran fine 5 years ago when put in a storage building. I may get a battery and monkey with it.  I have the sidemount wheels , correct 12 inch headlights,and the hood shutters plus much more included. Priced fairly at $6500.00 . Why fix model a ford when you can get a full CCCA classic cheaper.  Mike 585 738 1541 located upstate NY.  Easy fast delivery by alocal man in town for a fee.

20201004_122923.jpg

20201004_122856.jpg

20201004_122831.jpg

Edited by mikewest (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 9/26/2020 at 7:50 PM, wayne sheldon said:

Ed M, A. J., John M, Thrimacar, and at least a couple dozen others. Someday, somehow, I have got to spend about a month back East and meet you people face to face!

Hope I'm in the group, you may need another Ford guy for backup. 

Bob 

• Like 1

Just now, alsancle said:

That Franklin is VERY cool.   One of you Model A guys (hint: Steve) should step up and get in the big boy club cheap.

That is tempting, I like the look, think the wood chassis is long gone, Ryan lights, and some dark green paint, and for the rest of my life I'd have another project. If I can turn two 1999 Lincoln Town car loads of books into cash I could be a player. I've had friends say I qualify to own a Stanley and a Bugatti, so I guess I've got eccentric covered. Bob 

4 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

That is tempting, I like the look, think the wood chassis is long gone, Ryan lights, and some dark green paint, and for the rest of my life I'd have another project. If I can turn two 1999 Lincoln Town car loads of books into cash I could be a player. I've had friends say I qualify to own a Stanley and a Bugatti, so I guess I've got eccentric covered. Bob 

Bob,  are you saying I would make a good used car salesman?    It is easy,  so many run of the mill cars to get bored looking at,  or something unique and special for the price of a pile of Model A Ford parts.

And yes,  it has a steel chassis.