Attractive Prewar Sedans

alsancle

Lots of great prewar designs.  I really love the balance of club sedans.  I am thinking the intent was CCCA cars but I slipped in a couple interesting non Classics in sedan/town car forms.

I know AJ said 4 door, but it is  interesting how few true two door sedans there are in the big iron from say 29 to 34, 35.  

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

37 minutes ago, JACK M said:

I need a cold shower. 

Me too.

Kind of looks like it is stuck in a time warp, and trying to bridge 2 eras.

Envelop style body up front, but hanging on to the past with tear drop stick on fenders in the rear.

Way too late in the era for those big Trippe Seniors though.

A couple of smaller Guide Ray's tucked down low would look better.

But then, what do I know..................

Mike in Colorado

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, FLYER15015 said:

Kind of looks like it is stuck in a time warp, and trying to bridge 2 eras.

Envelop style body up front, but hanging on to the past with tear drop stick on fenders in the rear.

But then, what do I know..................

Mike in Colorado

Interesting take on the car, none of which I agree with except the use of the Trippes. Thankfully most thoughtful stylists don't agree either.

Bill

40 minutes ago, FLYER15015 said:

Totally agree.  If the headlights are not flat, the ancillary lights should not be flat. 

It is amazing how many cars of the mid to late 1930s have Senior Trippes.  Looks so out of place, to me. 

But I love the silver arrow

• Like 3

Another non Classic Town car.  I believe this 30 belonged to Wayne Carini's dad and is Wayne's now.  We have a few of these in CT and RI.  One gets driven extensively.  Not sure they pull away from the curb with the smoothness of steam like the big car carmakers of the era touted...

20160618_110212.jpg

• Like 1

I really love the big, squared off sedans of this era. There's not one I dislike. I have very little knowledge of the era and generally can't tell who made them until I get close enough to read the marquee, but hopefully I will gain more knowledge over the years. Wish I got to see them more than once or twice a year.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

I really love the big, squared off sedans of this era. There's not one I dislike. I have very little knowledge of the era and generally can't tell who made them until I get close enough to read the marquee, but hopefully I will gain more knowledge over the years. Wish I got to see them more than once or twice a year.

The Close Coupled (and a few others sedans) with little more rounded on the edges look better matched to the very formal closed coupled "Razor Edge"/Panel Brougham Town Cars (a carriage design) looking good too, but I am not one to write a check fast for the the run of the mill "Boxcar School of Design" or "Bus School of Design" either.

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

The Close Coupled (and a few others sedans) with little more rounded on the edges look better matched to the very formal closed coupled "Razor Edge"/Brougham Town Cars (a carriage design) looking good too, but I am not one to write a check fast for the the run of the mill "Boxcar School of Design" or "Bus School of Design" either.

Agree 100%, close coupled or club designs are really attractive.  AJ specified American, but Brits did some swoopy designs pre and postwar.

Oh, what prompted my reply, John your schoolbus comment took me back to HS.  Classmate had a bright yellow 57 chevy, healthy sbc and nice wheels but....4 door sedan.  Immediately and forever nicknamed the schoolbus along with countless derogatory comments like we lost count of the windows... 😁😁😁

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My Rickenbacker definitely fits in the square category being as it's a '26 but the landau bars and oval window make it stand out from the crowd.

And you want to talk about rare as hen's teeth.

1926Rickenbacker.jpg

• Like 6

The Franklins shown with the Dietrich "speedster" 4 door club sedan bodies are beautifully styled cars but only the final year for that body style - 1932 can be comfortable for anyone with longer legs. The 1932 edition had an adjustable front seat. All the others did not. I am 6'1" tall with long legs - great looking but not comfortable cars to drive. Knees touching the bottom of the steering wheel, and in the 1929 an emergency brake handle right there just inside the door that you had to climb over to get in the drivers seat. At the annual Franklin trek decades ago Bill Harrah would send out 3 or 4 cars via his van to attend. One year was a 1929 speedster, perfect car, and I was given the keys to it by Paul Larios to use for the week since I didn't have a car there. Great event, great car but I felt crippled most evenings after spending the day behind the wheel of that car.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

This is a 1932 Franklin 163 Series Sedan - I liked this particular photo as very few of these cars are really well restored matched to even fewer in well thought out paint colors.

TX6CUBqA.thumb.jpeg.0bd7d4a42ddde4e160757681cb66361b.jpeg

ZQUa84Rw.thumb.jpeg.0d223c068891243d9b7a54e4ffd7fa0c.jpeg

This also caught my eye - it is a 1931 Franklin 153 Sedan (the high end car in base model equipment - rear mount and wooden wheels) - nice colors though.

118933479_10219255421762698_2499440824398558243_o.thumb.jpg.28feda43cfbe0937c69e30fb37527964.jpg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Walt G said:

The Franklins shown with the Dietrich "speedster" 4 door club sedan bodies are beautifully styled cars but only the final year for that body style - 1932 can be comfortable for anyone with longer legs. The 1932 edition had an adjustable front seat. All the others did not. I am 6'1" tall with long legs - great looking but not comfortable cars to drive. Knees touching the bottom of the steering wheel, and in the 1929 an emergency brake handle right there just inside the door that you had to climb over to get in the drivers seat. At the annual Franklin trek decades ago Bill Harrah would send out 3 or 4 cars via his van to attend. One year was a 1929 speedster, perfect car, and I was given the keys to it by Paul Larios to use for the week since I didn't have a car there. Great event, great car but I felt crippled most evenings after spending the day behind the wheel of that car.

And, that is why we no longer have one - 1930 proved not to have a very comfortable seating position - your "rear" is actually lower than your feet on the clutch and brake as you sit low in car with your head just slightly above the door window sill. 

• Like 1

A little earlier than most cars on here as I am more into pre mid twenties myself, though this is a CCCA car.  Here is my 1925 Cole Brouette with a body by Willoughby.  It is unrestored so these are the original colors as picked by Mrs. Cole herself.  481767191_1925ColeatGIlmore2.thumb.jpeg.f10ec9bd16e74c2077eae14756016f20.jpeg

• Like 12

39 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

I consider this RR PII  along the lines of a "Razor Edge"/Panel Brougham Town Car - perhaps a touch more updated version though

Yeah, nice for such a humongus beast!  Unfair I guess to call the roofline treatment square...

Club sedans IMHO have a lot of appeal. The original Boise green color with the cream accent help too. I had someone else come along that was even more impassioned about it than me, and delivered it to it's new owner last week.

IMG_1463.JPG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

For Billy and others who like big and square.  😁  That said this was an impressive RR!

20180616_103444.jpg

Now that's cool !

Big swoopy fenders. Body extends PAST the rear wheel, and sits outside the frame rails.

Suicide doors all round. Big trunk tucked up tight , (take note Matt) and she's not gaudied up with landau irons.

I wonder if she has the divider window, and shades for the back ?

Could get real private back there, with plenty of room.

Oh, the stories she could tell.....................

Mike in Colorado

2 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Agree 100%, close coupled or club designs are really attractive.  AJ specified American, but Brits did some swoopy designs pre and postwar.

Oh, what prompted my reply, John your schoolbus comment took me back to HS.  Classmate had a bright yellow 57 chevy, healthy sbc and nice wheels but....4 door sedan.  Immediately and forever nicknamed the schoolbus along with countless derogatory comments like we lost count of the windows... 😁😁😁

yeah Steve,  I was purposely thinking prewar American 4 door.   Any variation opens a different kettle of fish.  There are a few cars in here that I didn’t think of and I’m glad somebody else did.

And, this was actually Ed’s idea I stole cause he is too busy polishing the hood ornament on his White.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, alsancle said:

yeah Steve,  I was purposely thinking prewar American 4 door.   Any variation opens a different kettle of fish.  There are a few cars in here that I didn’t think of and I’m glad somebody else did.

And, this was actually Ed’s idea I stole cause he is too busy polishing the hood ornament on his White.

I haven't even dusted it off..........still has 80 year old shop dirt all over it.........part if it's charm. Just like me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Hi Mike yes I believe this is a division window car.  Here is the friendly RR face.

20180616_103421.jpg

Did you ever notice in this era, that the Britts usually brought the front fenders down much further in the front.

Wonder if it's because they get so much rain and learned the lesson ?

Now a big set of Trippe seniors would not look out of place on this one.

Just saying............

Mike in Colorado

• Like 1

A black 1939 Buick Century sedan with side mounted spare tires and wide running boards parked on a pier with Lake Erie as a backdrop makes for an attractive pre war sedan photo.

Regards, Gary

DSC_2440 (2).JPG

• Like 4