Not Disappointed!!!

mrcvs

47 minutes ago, mrcvs said:

But mine is about a third less.

I don't understand how a Model A Ford can be worth so little.  A used generic subcompact sedan a few years old is worth more.

WHEN THE TOP GOES DOWN THE PRICE GOES UP-

This has been a basic in the collector car hobby for as long as I can recall, and likely will continue long after I’m at my “ Final Destination”.

Additionally, as Auburn Seeker notes, there is a huge difference in value based upon condition. Generally speaking, a move upward between condition code numerical generally approximates doubling the value. Look at a desirable collectible (something less common and more rare than yours) and look at the “book” values between condition codes 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.

simply stated - a 4-door requiring improvement is not a Roadster Or Phaeton ready to show and tour.

Please accept these comments in the spirit they are intended, of you (or your wife) don’t want it then sell the car and get one she likes, or find out what makes you both less unhappy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Marty Roth said:

WHEN THE TOP GOES DOWN THE PRICE GOES UP-

My 94 year old dad throws that at me all the time,  but it only applies to the mass produced cars.    If you look at some of the most expensive cars ever sold at auction they are fixed roof.   Ferrari GTO,  the Model J Whittell Coupe, etc.

Also,  a 3 window coupe can bring more than a convertible sedan almost across marques.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, alsancle said:

My 94 year old dad throws that at me all the time,  but it only applies to the mass produced cars.    If you look at some of the most expensive cars ever sold at auction they are fixed roof.   Ferrari GTO,  the Model J Whittell Coupe, etc.

Also,  a 3 window coupe can bring more than a convertible sedan almost across marques.

Al, I completely agree - but then the majority of our hobby gravitates upon those "mass-produced cars"

Your contention may be the case among our full Classics, but looking at the hobby in general, look at almost any non-Classic from the '20s through the '90s, and open cars tend to hold 50% to 100% more value than a 4-door sedan.

Not disagreeing, but this gentleman is discussing a Model-A Ford, not a Queen of a Grand Classic.

Thank you for your well-stated observation.

• Like 2

Facebook scares me.  I had NEVER been on Facebook before, created an account, and it knew more about me than it should.  As in, connect with these people, folks I had casual contact with or hadn't seen since high school.  Not just scary but VERY scary!

49 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I am a bit of a cheapskate , once I complete step 1 { winning a major lottery } . I am going to be a penny pincher and brave the elements in a Testa Rossa circa 1958. I am not convinced the comfort of a GTO is worth the extra 15 Million or so. 

Greg in Canada

• Thanks 1

Just now, 1912Staver said:

I am a bit of a cheapskate , once I complete step 1 { winning a major lottery } . I am going to be a penny pincher and brave the elements in a Testa Rossa circa 1958. I am not convinced the comfort of a GTO is worth the extra 15 Million or so. 

Greg in Canada

When I win I'll have one of each. One of the biggest shocks I ever had in the hobby was opening an 18 foot garage door to see a 250F Maserati flanked by TWO sponsion fendered Testa Rosas. Bob 

12 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

I followed the advice these guys are giving you and sold 8 classic autos, most on eBay with one listing. It’s all about the prep and presentation. We live in a digital world, photos, and lots of them, help sell a car. 

How did payment work out for you?  Did all 8 once a bid was received get paid for in full or did buyers back out perhaps multiple times?

I suppose if I had to sell at a bit of a loss, it's not the end of the world.  It's just that I hate losing money with flat wages and bonuses nonexistent, etc.  I guess one these days takes a loss on cars, but not nearly as bad had this been a later model daily driver for 5 years.

At the time I bought this in 2014 for $8250, I thought it was a good price.  Then I had to pay for the engine overhaul, and storage at $50 a month which was supposed to be temporary, and never ended up being so.

One who has their own storage space has a tremendous leg up.

48 minutes ago, mrcvs said:

Facebook scares me.  I had NEVER been on Facebook before, created an account, and it knew more about me than it should.  As in, connect with these people, folks I had casual contact with or hadn't seen since high school.  Not just scary but VERY scary!

Facebook only associates your information with the information of others. Google, on the other hand, actively mines substantial information on your likes and dislikes based on your activity on the internet. Notice that if you look at a tool on Home Depot that same tool shows up when viewing different websites. Get an adblocker and you won't see them.

But if you really want to know how much information someone can find out about you go to one of the public record sites and pay a few bucks and you will learn just how much of your life is an open book. Jobs, salaries, liens, any arrest records, past addresses, value of your home, etc. When applying for loans, financial aid, etc you will be asked multiple choice options like your mortgage balance, what year monthly car payment on your 2004 Impala was, who held the note on that car, etc. etc. All of that information is in "public records". A lot of information that you used to have to pay a private investigator to get you can now get from the comfort of your home for a few bucks...... Scary but the toothpaste is out of the tube and you can't put it back in....

If you never post on Facebook no one can get any more information. If you post when you go to a restaurant, when you go on vacation, who you are with then yes, it can be dangerous. But nobody makes you post anything - I  never have and I've been on for over 10 years.

• Like 1

Not to be critical, as you have a nice Model A, though a friend told me a long time ago, that to get top dollar you need three things:

First: They suggested never having a speck of rust on a car, including the exhaust.  

Second: Try your best to correct any exterior issues to the point that whoever brings it home will be immediately proud to show the family and neighbors.

Third:  Try to get a car as complete as possible - often you are in a better spot to find missing parts than a new buyer.

As to above - I would suggest finding a good sign paint to match the paint color and then carefully brush over the mismatched paint on the col and any major chips. 

2 hours ago, 41 Su8 said:

ENOUGH  ALREADY!!!!!!!!!

YES! I agree.  I'm starting to think this entire thread is being used as an infomercial to keep this model A in front of the forum members until it sells.  It has dominated the General Discussion Forum for almost a week.   The message hasn't really changed since the first post was made. It just keeps getting repeated enough to keep this thread going.    (I am rather disappointed..., Unrealistic buyer expectations...,  I'm told $11k is a fair price...)  Ample information has been provided about what needs to be done to sell this car for what it's worth.  I say it's time to lock this topic and put this Model A in the Cars For Sale forum where it belongs.

Edited by Ronnie (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

I disagree, the 1939 Buick sale took a bit longer we need to brake that page count. Did anyone else note the mismatched spare tire? 

Bob 

Yes, if this was a high dollar car that would be an issue.

For $8750, what do you expect?

1 hour ago, mrcvs said:

How did payment work out for you?  Did all 8 once a bid was received get paid for in full or did buyers back out perhaps multiple times?

I suppose if I had to sell at a bit of a loss, it's not the end of the world.  It's just that I hate losing money with flat wages and bonuses nonexistent, etc.  I guess one these days takes a loss on cars, but not nearly as bad had this been a later model daily driver for 5 years.

At the time I bought this in 2014 for $8250, I thought it was a good price.  Then I had to pay for the engine overhaul, and storage at $50 a month which was supposed to be temporary, and never ended up being so.

One who has their own storage space has a tremendous leg up.

No buyers backed out, although I’ve heard sometimes that happens. Quit your Lollygagging and excuse making, make your mind up and get it done. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 4

The OP has been given tons of great advice from many experienced and knowledgeable folks, who are sincerely trying to help.

He has chosen to ignore most of it.

I, personally, am done.

Everything  that can be said has been. I suggest everyone just calls it a day and lets this one die on its own.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

had to join Facebook, because my AACA chapter decided to have all their member contacts for shows, etc through there instead of mass emailing. That is all I use it for. 

I guess if if I ever sold anything I would try to use marketplace. For now I avoid it like I avoid Craigslist. In order to not buy anything more!😅

19 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

Thank you!

I'm trying!

I'd love to close this thread and say "sold!".

I thought my original photographs were good.  You all pointed out they were not, and why.

Again, thank you!

5 hours ago, alsancle said:

My 94 year old dad throws that at me all the time,  but it only applies to the mass produced cars.   

It only applies to cars that were available in both HT and convertible body styles. Kind of irrelevant for cars that were only made in handfuls. Yeah, the SIX Cobra Daytonas are each worth more than a "regular" Cobra roadster. The roadsters WERE "mass produced" compared to the number six. That's a 1% example. It doesn't negate the underlying point, however.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, joe_padavano said:

It only applies to cars that were available in both HT and convertible body styles. Kind of irrelevant for cars that were only made in handfuls. Yeah, the SIX Cobra Daytonas are each worth more than a "regular" Cobra roadster. The roadsters WERE "mass produced" compared to the number six. That's a 1% example. It doesn't negate the underlying point, however.

Thanks , Joe,

While Al's point is well taken for the extremely rare Full-Classics, you and I are in agreement, as is the general marketplace:

Top goes down,

Price goes up !

Thanks for your comment

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Mrcvs, you hang in there. You ARE learning what is obviously an anguishing truth. I feel for you, I really do. I was posting a lengthy response to the earlier iteration of this topic. When I hit Submit Reply, the whole compendium of useful information had been zapped. The seldom-seen analyst, Dr. Diagnosis himself had even aided me in my recommendations. At his rate, I seldom cash in my frequent flyer points for such trivial concerns. The Good Doc does suggest, however, that you take great and deep satisfaction in the obvious love you have for your wife. He sincerely hopes it is returned. While he, not I, is the analyst, I will, however submit that it is subordination of one's own desires to those of their beloved, if indeed they differ, that is the mark of true love.

My main recommendation to you at that ill-fated time was for you to re-read all the postings of our very own generous genius, the Pride of AACA, Auburnseeker, at least two more times. Sadly that laboriously generated archive is no more. Please don't think about dumping this even more realistic, less gentle, albeit perhaps somewhat proctological, thread. No one else, who is starting to feel like this is where they came in, is obligated to suffer further exposure. If, unlike me, they are still capable of significant wrenching, I suggest they take therapeutic advantage thereof. 

I have substantially more to offer you, my friend. BUT : First things first. Please go down to Cars For Sale. Read and heed "1931 Ford Model A Slant Fordor". List the differences easily discernable which makes that sedan more attractive and valuable than yours. For example : what jumps out at you in the front-on view ? Direct rear-on ?        You are catching on. I will continue to help.   -   Carl 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Marty Roth said:

Thanks , Joe,

While Al's point is well taken for the extremely rare Full-Classics, you and I are in agreement, as is the general marketplace:

Top goes down,

Price goes up !

Thanks for your comment

Another exception to the rule would be pre 1912 Coupes or other enclosed body types. I think having a garage or barn tall enough to house one added to their demise. Wouldn't mind a Hup 20 Coupe or enclosed Ford in the Brass Era. Bob 

aade62f500ff299c7ed0006209612cbb--antique-cars-vintage-cars.jpg

• Like 1

That Huppmobile is exquisite, Bob. Enclosed Brass Era cars are also very attractive to me. This 1913 Cadillac with the big 4 cylinder engine is a perfect example. The '18 V8 would be mine now, if not for circumstances beyond my control. That green '22, although solidly in the Nickel Era, is no slouch either. I am very happy that Nickel Era closed cars are a bargain. I would not have my 1927 Cadillac if this were not the case.   -   Carl 

5DDF05B3-B060-4B1B-886D-B07C6D275189.jpeg

69CD46BA-4325-4DF8-B5C4-3852958F0829.jpeg

C3450D44-4E5B-43C7-935F-5DEBD61F1CA8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Next car I get WILL be brass era.  Given real estate issues, that's several years down the road, which ain't necessarily a bad thing.  I don't see any upside to run of the mill brass era cars and, if anything, buy one for less later.

Mrcvs, 

Sir, I SERIOUSLY and genuinely wish you well with your sale. Like nearly all the others in this over-long thread, I am being totally honest. 

But you must face facts. Your photos are much better now, and we all appreciate that. But in MY personal description, I would have to say your car is pretty rough...with a nicely restored engine (I assume!). And in my experience, a 4 door ANYTHING is nearly always worth less than 2 door versions of the same car. This is not to say that your Model A Ford isn't cool, and it certainly would be fun to drive and enjoy. But regardless of what anyone has told you, your car will be hard to sell at anything but a  lower price. 

Please don't take offense, and don't think I am trying to dump on you. The fact is that you don't really, really know the market place for old cars and specifically Model A Ford market prices, and we're all trying to help you. 

Years ago I launched a program for SEMA and ARMO (two huge trade organizations focused around special vehicles and parts), called "TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW." Why? Because people like me are VERY concerned about attracting new (and younger) folks to this hobby. My point is that I and all of the experienced folks here who are trying to help you, do NOT want to make you run away from this fabulous hobby. Indeed, we want to help you learn and understand. As has been explained multiple times, we have ALL lost our shirts now and again on collector cars we have bought. But the price we paid for a vintage vehicle, and the estimated values for that vehicle which friends and experts have told us, have NOTHING to do with the real value. As I said before in this thread, any collectible item is worth only what the potential buyers standing in front of it will pay at any given moment. You can parade in front of more people, with better photos, and do a better job of marketing or "selling" the vehicle. But unless you stumble onto to someone who has more money than knowledge who also loves this car, you'll have to sell it at whatever the market will bear. 

But the truth is that, YOU WILL HAVE GAINED A TREMENDOUS EDUCATION in the value of old cars. A much better, much more clearly remembered lesson than if someone had just told you these facts. ALL OF US HAVE BEEN THROUGH THIS, and that is why we are a little better at avoiding such situations today. 

Please, don't quit this MARVELOUS HOBBY because of the difficulty you're having selling this Model A Ford. We would all like to become your car-hobby friends someday. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, mrcvs said:

Thank you!

I'm trying!

I'd love to close this thread and say "sold!".

I thought my original photographs were good.  You all pointed out they were not, and why.

Again, thank you!

Your ad needs re-writing, too many negatives. And best to take all your pics in the 'shade' so the multi-tone colour scheme is not so obvious.

Remember, only sell the positives.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mike6024 said:

I think it'd probably sell for $9,000 if located in California. You are in a bad location. And I don't believe the 4 doors are hurting the value.

I'm starting to think that.  I thought lots of folks in Pennsylvania loved antique cars, but apparently not!

6 hours ago, maok said:

Your ad needs re-writing, too many negatives. And best to take all your pics in the 'shade' so the multi-tone colour scheme is not so obvious.

Remember, only sell the positives.

Okay I improved it.  So it's okay to leave out it needs repainting?  With your blessing, I will remove that as well.

I had NO IDEA how to sell anything, let alone a car, so I am learning.

I was of the mindset at least a few others would like this car, so someone would pony up fast before someone else does!

If you don't think 4 doors are hurting the value(nothing wrong with 4 doors if that's your thing) you may be lying to your self,  watch how fast other body styles in the same shape sell for the same money and even up some.  I think all the ones I posted,  except maybe the most recent roadster have all sold.  They were all in the Northeast.  Atleast one if not two were in NJ which is real close.   Remember,  with every $2,000 more invested up front at purchase time when buying a model A,  you get an immensely better car,  more people are realizing that and starting to do just that,  instead of buying work for them selves.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, auburnseeker said:

instead of buying work for them selves.  

All the things I have tried to teach my wife have generally been ignored. That term "buying work" seems to have stuck. "I thought you said you weren't going to buy work anymore." It hit me like a bolt of lightning, it was like a distant echo, it was..... just beyond metaphorical.

There has been an air of seriousness about this topic that misses the whole idea of a hobby. Seriousness has a way of breeding expectations. And a lot of times expectations are never met. Sometimes I think life, itself, is too important to take seriously. Just too many expectations.

On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 7:56 AM, mrcvs said:

Geez, why don't you add the gas you put in it, insurance, maybe the ice cream you bought on that one run.

Subtract the fun factor and get it gone.

You cant add the maintenance and expenses to your perceived value.

If I don't get an offer I can live with I keep it.

I don't think I am goin to waste my time raeding the last two pages here.

Not sure why everyone is down on 4 door cars.  Every 2 door car I've dealt with is nothing short of a pain.  My wife had a 2 door Jeep Wrangled and that was sold and she got a 4 door one which is far better.  I'd pay less for a 2 door car any day due to the inconvenience.  Not sure who got the notion that an identical make and model car, but with 4 doors, is inherently less appealing than a 2 door model.

20 minutes ago, mrcvs said:

Not sure why everyone is down on 4 door cars.  Every 2 door car I've dealt with is nothing short of a pain.  My wife had a 2 door Jeep Wrangled and that was sold and she got a 4 door one which is far better.  I'd pay less for a 2 door car any day due to the inconvenience.  Not sure who got the notion that an identical make and model car, but with 4 doors, is inherently less appealing than a 2 door model.

"Everyone" is not "down" on more-door cars. The reality of the marketplace is that buyers find 2dr cars more desirable and are willing to pay a premium for one. Neither your personal opinion nor mine will change that. Growing up in the 1960s, four doors were considered "family cars" and two doors were sporty and thus more desirable (and outsold four doors at that time). Personally, time hasn't changed my opinion, but I probably own more four door vehicles than two door right now.

Same applies to pick ups.  The short beds are better looking and more desirable than the 8 foot beds.  I go to the steel yard and watch these guys try to load a 8' sheet of steel in a lifted 4x4 and not trying to scratch it at the same time.  Same at the home improvement stores.  Me I just open the gate, slide it in and drive away. I would rather have a truck that's practical and usable than a show piece. Just my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JACK M said:

I don't think I am goin to waste my time raeding the last two pages here.

Oh, admit it. It's like a train wreck or a car accident. You can't take your eyes off of it. We're all rubberneckers here. 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Dollars aside hope someone gets to enjoy this worthy A. 

Car is listed on FB for mrcvs, we will see what happens.  I think this would be a great entry car into prewar cars and Model As.  Load friends, the kids, the dog and go.  Spend nothing on cosmetic upgrades and use 8 or 10 times a season and it would still be a blast.  I know roadsters and tudors are a blast.  But I bet  big ol A fordors are also a lot of fun.. 🙂

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mrcvs said:

I assume you mean a 2-door is more inconvenient to get in the back seat - that's the only difference I can see between a 2-door and a 4-door.  All other things being equal, they drive the same, are as reliable, etc.  I can see 4-doors being an advantage in a daily driver, especially if one has a family.  But it's a mistake to apply that to an antique car.  Yes, some hardy souls use their old cars as family-hauling grocery-getters.  But I'd guess most are used just for Saturday trips to the Dairy Queen or to church on Sunday or the occasional parade.  And let's face it, old car owners are show-offs.  So they don't want mundane, stodgy old 4-door sedans - they want those cute/sexy/whatever open cars, coupes, etc

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I don't post often on this and the buick site and don't say much.

I read thru the 12 pages and feel sorry for him. but, i'm into the performance cars, aka buick gs's and race an old front engine dragster. the money I spent racing my buick back just in the early 70's , I could have bought a cottage on the lake with a boat and sat in my beach chair drinking mint julips and watching the girls go by. yeah, 20-20 hind sight works really well. lol. would I do it all over again, yup. I said I race an old dragster. chassis is a woody Gilmore and could get my money back on it. the buick engine has over 25k in it. I couldn't get 25% back on it. the memories I have with my son in all this is priceless. 

the deal I have with my son and the dragster is the day he doesn't feel safe or want to continue, we either make it look pretty for a show car or ready for this, we sell it and go look for an early 30's four door car so me, him and the 2 grandsons go cruising around!!!

the money I spent in racing I could have bought your ford many times over. your human perspective is way off for this hobby. I couldn't imagine myself being this way. the info you got from everybody is 4 credits towards a business degree.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/7/2019 at 8:37 PM, joe_padavano said:

7301cover_l.jpg

I posted that same cover a few years back and got a notification within minutes that people were complaining.  Glad this group has some sense of humor.  I remember when this issue came out.  Mad was pretty good then as well...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2