Not Disappointed!!!

mrcvs

My wages have gone nowhere in years and are down considerably this year compared to last year.

and who's fault is that?

Being born in America puts you in the top 10% of the world. try getting some rice in Nigeria to survive..............

could this all be about your attitude?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My father's sister dealt, throught her life, with severe spinal issues, but remained quite optomistic and happy.

When I once complained about something certainly minor and now foorgotten, I recall only her poetic response:

"As you travel throughout life, my son,

Let this be your Goal:

To Look Upon the Doughnut,

And NOT Upon the Hole".

I've tried to recall, and to use this simple poetic quote,

and to look at the bright side, - appreciate what I have - not what I don't have.

I may have had a more pleasant life as a result of her simple, yet important advice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Laughing Coyote said:

Here is a nice one for 12K. I'm sure you could work a little off the price.

Not to sound like a jerk, but from what I see, me personally I would maybe pay around $7000 tops if I was in the market for yours.  I've looked at cars advertised on CL and said '"Oh that one looks pretty nice"  Then when you go actually look at it, it needs all kinds of things repaired and doesn't look as nice in the picture.  I'm sure we've all been there.

But mine has a rebuilt engine, good compression, new seals, new battery, new coil, new muffler, a few other new things.

This is why purchasers are unrealistic.  They expect a LOT but want to pay nothing for it.

I was told on this very forum that 10 to 11k was fair, only a few months ago.  And I had at least some interest.

In the 9k range I can't give it away.

I wouldn't encourage younger generations to get into this hobby.  Sorry...

22 minutes ago, Marty Roth said:

My father's sister dealt, throught her life, with severe spinal issues, but remained quite optomistic and happy.

When I once complained about something certainly minor and now foorgotten, I recall only her poetic response:

"As you travel throughout life, my son,

Let this be your Goal:

To Look Upon the Doughnut,

And NOT Upon the Hole".

I've tried to recall, and to use this simple poetic quote,

and to look at the bright side, - appreciate what I have - not what I don't have.

I may have had a more pleasant life as a result of her simple, yet important advice.

That's easy enough to say, but when you keep lowering the price and a grand total of zero individuals have come to look at the car, the wife starts to question if you even have it for sale at all?

Just now, mrcvs said:

I wouldn't encourage younger generations to get into this hobby.  Sorry...

My Grandson is seven years old and if he cashed out of his automobile collectables he bought with his own money in the past two years PERCENTAGE WIZE he would make far more that your Foudor adventure. "Young people" are not stupid. Bob 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

My Grandson is seven years old and if he cashed out of his automobile collectables he bought with his own money in the past two years PERCENTAGE WIZE he would make far more that your Foudor adventure. "Young people" are not stupid. Bob 

At $9000, with what I've got into this I'm in the hole a bit already.

25 minutes ago, mrcvs said:

Please don't take this as being critical of you, just a simple fact. It seems to be that you are not much of a 'sales person'.  Most people aren't aware, there is skill involved in selling anything. When selling, you can only sell the positives, negatives cannot be sold.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, mrcvs said:

Anyone who would consider buying your car would have to consider about $4,000 for chrome work, maybe $2,000 to repair the cowl (note cowl not front quarter panel) and maybe much more if the paint couldn't be matched. Then there is engine compartment detailing (could be two days work and minimal dollars or could be much much more.  The engine compartment makes one wonder about the care that the previous owners took of all the things that are not readily visible.

IMHO now that I see more pictures this is a 5-7 thousand dollar vehicle.

Take your next offer, that will get this thorn out of your side and stop whining about your lot in life.

You are wasting an incredible amount of karma, mojo, whatever you want to call it on this car.

When I retired I had promised myself a Model "A" - I spent almost a year and could never find exactly the right car...  one of our daily drivers died and I had to get something and I bought a '62 Chevy Bel Air 4 door sedan for $7200.  Solid floors and body mounts, nice original interior, etc. Unusual find for an "X" frame Chevy in upstate NY.

The little problems wouldn't have been problems 20 years ago when I could work on a creeper under a car, when my fingers actually worked without being crippled by arthritis, when ..... etc. I soon realized I made a mistake and went to sell it - bounced the price up and down like you are doing (VERY bad move).... after 2 years I advertised it for $4500 and the third week a real live buyer came out - he looked at it - he drove it - when he got back in the driveway he said - nice car - now - make me want to buy it - what's your best cash price today??? Without blinking I said $3750 (probably a $5000 loss total).. he came back with the money about 30 minutes later.

The sense of relief was immediate - the garage was empty., the beast was gone. The sun shone, a gentle breeze rustled through the air and all was well with the world once again. Best $5000 I ever spent/lost.

My grandfather owned steam powered lumber mills. They burned about every 10 years. The last one burned in 1950.  He got a call later that day from AP and they asked him if he was going to rebuild (major employer in town). He said he hadn't thought about it yet and was in the middle of a canasta game - he would try to figure things out in a few days. He always said "Never worry about anything money can buy"....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, maok said:

Please don't take this as being critical of you, just a simple fact. It seems to be that you are not much of a 'sales person'.  Most people aren't aware, there is skill involved in selling anything. When selling, you can only sell the positives, negatives cannot be sold.

I am a terrible sales person.  Anytime I try and sell anything, it's generally a b***h!!!!!

My ad points out the positives.  Not sure really what else I can do!

ANYONE out there want to post this on Facebook on my behalf?

When I bought this car the criteria was local and cheap.  I thought, at the time, any sound Model A that runs that could be had for under 9 or 10 k would be a deal.

Mr. CVS needs to change his user ID to Debbie Downer. She was a character on Saturday Night Live who always complained nonstop about everything. She would ruin a pleasant conversation by always bringing up something negative. Here are some DD videos from SNL....

v

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mrcvs said:

That's easy enough to say, but when you keep lowering the price and a grand total of zero individuals have come to look at the car, the wife starts to question if you even have it for sale at all?

My wife appreciates the hobby,

the cars,

the places we tour,

that our children and grandson have grown up with hundreds of surrogate grandparents as we've toured the USA,

the friends we've enjoyed over the years,

those in the hobby who've consistantly supported her throught her battle with liver cancer,

Most hobby participants realize that a hobby is an expense - not a profit center!

If you played golf, tennis, followed NASCAR, pro Football, or were an avid skiier,

You would spend far, far more regularly in travel, tickets, merchandise, admission fees, equipment, etc.-

and have WHAT? to show for it?

Maybe because I choose to look at this activity as a source of FAMILY ENJOYMENT, and what pleasure we as a family serve to the general public,

I see it as a modest way to enjoy life, and not use wifely comments to belly-ache about life choices.

How much could you get - what kind of "Rate-of-Return" on selling used golf clubs, balls, green fees, instruction, country club membership?

Would you expect to profit, or even get your money back reselling your bowling ball, tennis raquet, water skiis, CB radio and antenna, golf shoes, NASCAR pennant, or admission tickets to last year's baseball game?

This is a hobby - enjoy it - reality says you may spend a bit,

but at least be sure your wife  knows you're not spending it-

on booze,

or some other guy's wife.

Edited by Marty Roth
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

After all of the advice you've been given, it really comes down to two choices:

Advertise the car everywhere you can, and hold out for how ever long it takes to get the $9,000.00 price. be prepared to have the car for weeks or, most likely, months, until the person comes along who really wants the car and believes that the price is right.

OR

Advertise the car everywhere you can, accept that you won't get your money back that you have into it, cut your loses, and take whatever you can get for it.

Either choice, accept that selling an old car is not going to be easy, or not going to be a lot of work. Take the advice you've been given or don't-your call. Above all, please stop complaining about how much the world sucks. No one wants to hear it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If my wife enjoyed this car, it wouldn't be for sale.  It wouldn't be a problem, a joy to drive and have fun with.

Part of the frustration, and the complaining, isn't just this car.  It's the what a pita to sell this or anything!  I bought a house in 2009, after the housing boom, and had a frozen pipe.  Insurance paid for a new kitchen, new floors, granite countertops, and yet real estate has gone nowhere in 10 yrs.  Also the Allentown suburbs, but a bit further out, never really recovered.  I might make 3k on this place, before any fees.  Didn't used to be like this.  Own a house 10 yrs and make 50 or 100%.

When a baby boomer says they have no money after unprecedented growth in real estate and the stock market, plus a booming job market with real wage growth, I really have no sympathy for them.

32 minutes ago, mrcvs said:

This car had 2 bidders on eBay who thought it worth $10,875 except they never paid up in the end.

So apparently, they didn't...

Why do people think that bids on ebay have any relationship to value. Talk to us about sales on ebay when cash actually changes hands. Bids are meaningless.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, trimacar said:

Well, yeah, but Marty, you've spent money on cheesecake for my wife!?!?

Yeah, but for the time it takes to pick up her favorite type of cheesecake (or would you prefer crawfish and shrimp?),

we get to visit with some of the most decent, generous folks we've ever known-

and we only came to know you through the old car hobby -- maybe 42 years ago?

CANNOT PUT A PRICE ON THAT

Just another example of the wonderful folks we've come to know through the hobby-

Thank you, David,

not just for your comment,

but also for more than 43 years of sharing, advice, technical, professsional, and emotional support when needed,

Ides of March parties,

schmoozing with Hollywoodmovie folk,

and so many good years for our brides to share in our hobby, especially including our children

Edited by Marty Roth
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Only your first picture is good. The others have shadow and glare on them. You might consider taking photos very early in the morning when the sun is low in the sky. And you literally have to move the car to take pictures of both sides, because if for one picture the sun is at your back, and on the vehicle, then the other side will have the shadow and your picture will be taken facing the sun. So turn it around.

These are my suggestion if you want to get a set of really good pictures.

The ones you have are OK, but not great. I don't like the rear picture, way too much shadow.

20190907_165827.jpg

2 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

Only your first picture is good. The others have shadow and glare on them. You might consider taking photos very early in the morning when the sun is low in the sky. And you literally have to move the car to take pictures of both sides, because if for one picture the sun is at your back, and on the vehicle, then the other side will have the shadow and your picture will be taken facing the sun. So turn it around.

The ones you have are OK, but not great. I don't like the rear picture, way too much shadow.

20190907_165827.jpg

Okay, THANK YOU!  Will do!

I simply don't know how best to present a car for sale.

2 minutes ago, mrcvs said:

Okay, THANK YOU!  Will do!

I simply don't know how best to present a car for sale.

There is lots of help, and helpful advice here on our FORUM.

Asking for it in a reasonable manner works best, as in:

"You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar"-

... and I also learned that from my Dad's sister  -- and from my Mom.

Worlds of experience here to assistyou in presebtation,

as well as being realistic.

4 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

My Additional notes of what I think could benefit your sale:

Lots of good photos,

exterior

Interior,

undercarriage,

engine compartment,

instruments,

list of recent repairs, upgrades, 

honest list of any needs or flaws,

positive attitude instead of complaints should make you more attractive to a potential buyer,

rather than one who will expect you to be negative and difficult to deal with.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Even something as ridiculously simple as framing and cropping your image properly can help:

20190907_165732.thumb.jpg.add35b4f8a9410884427dabf93713828.jpg

GreenModelA.jpg.0270adbd519b436fdccfc60683e0fbb5.jpg

Doesn't look as dumpy, does it? Instead of thinking that the rear springs are shot, the car sits properly. All I did was rotate the image until the car sat level or even nose-down a bit.

I would also recommend leading with the passenger side, which doesn't have the paint issues, or even a 3/4 front view that's more interesting. You're not hiding anything, just making a good first impression. Bury that left side photo in the middle somewhere.

And I still think you should ditch the mud flaps. 2 minutes of work, max.

None of this is difficult, but you have to think like a buyer instead of a victim. And yes, you do have to work hard to sell a car. Rarely do they sell themselves.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 7

Honestly prepping the cars for sale and taking decent pictures was less work than following this thread for several days. 

As for price, if you’re serious about selling, put it on eBay with great pictures and good description and with the reserve at your low limit. The market will decide if it’s worth that. That’s why I like eBay.

I have a real estate background. Both cars and real estate are worth what a willing buyer is prepared to pay, not what a seller invested. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Here you go.  Asking 12500.  This is your competition and it's in the Northeast. 

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/cto/d/gloucester-1930-ford/6973610283.html

00G0G_al4b2gL7TPU_600x450.jpg

00J0J_OB1wJciFyd_600x450-1.jpg

00S0S_5ohWUDZyorU_600x450-1.jpg

00x0x_7E1eXI9wXAg_600x450-1.jpg

But mine is about a third less.

I don't understand how a Model A Ford can be worth so little.  A used generic subcompact sedan a few years old is worth more.

This is a much more desirable body style,  which makes it more Valuable/ desirable to start,  then it appears to be in better "kept" shape.  

Late model used subcompacts are worth more than a model A because they are more desirable to the general populous as they are a needed item for people to get to work/ school, or just move about in general.  Simply supply and demand.  That sets all free markets. 

You tell a guy you know where there are 2 model A's.  Without seeing pictures or anything.  One is a really good looking roadster that appears to be in nice shape, the other is a 4 door sedan that needs work.  I can tell you which one 95 or better percent will want to know more about,  that's before even bringing up the price of each. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I can't tell you how many guys bring cars into my shop and when I tell them what I think a fair market price would be, they often say, "I was offered 30% more than that a few years ago and turned it down." OK. What's your point?

No disagreement with me.  There are two forces at work in a seller's mind.  Rationally,  they know that the market has changed,  but emotionally they haven't come to terms with it.   Perhaps, by the time they do come to terms the markets has eroded further.

A HEMI car is very easy to determine market on,  as they made thousands and there are numerous public sales every year.    My buddies car and that Royale I posted are a lot harder to gauge.  There may be 1 or none of those sold in any given year.