Not Disappointed!!!

mrcvs

What is a tough reality is understanding market shifts.  Sold my T in April, within 24 hours (and a couple of buyers lined up waiting) for a very fair current price for a speedster project around $4k.  Or  $3k less than what I had into it, plus some time as well.  Youcare not alone, a friend on the other end of the spectrum with a very nice car for sale recently commented that the market is what it is now.  FWIW these take a while to sell.  After paying attention, maybe 8K is a good number for that car today.  GLWS as thry say...

I recently spoke to someone looking for a GOOD brass T. They were of the opinion that they could buy a “fantastic need nothing” HCCA car for under ten grand. They won’t find one in that price range. On common cars....read that as “any Ford” people want to buy them for 50 cents on the current market dollar. That is a tall order. Here is my observation on ANY pre war Ford........you might as well buy a perfect car that needs nothing, since it is only a few thousand dollars more than a project car that needs everything. I think any pre war Ford needing work, or looking long in the tooth is a very difficult sell.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Don't give up on young people not being interested in our hobby. There is plenty of interest, but look at todays prices compared to back in the day when us old timers could buy cheaply. Our interest was early 1900's to the '70s primarily. Young people today want '70s and newer. Your "A" is a fine auto and it would appeal to me, but I am down-sizing. A young collector maybe not so much interest.

Your sale reminds me of a sale that I made a few years ago to a young man that was interested in getting into the hobby, but was lacking the funds for what I was asking. After getting to know him and making sure that the AACA and Model A club were in his sights I dropped my asking price by $2K and we both felt good about the sale. Less than $8K for a restored A is a good buy. If you can't help a young newcomer to the hobby, then you are in the hobby for the wrong reasons. 

Scan 132540014.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The other thing to consider when selling a car is that if you don't sell it, you will have gotten 0% of your money back. Some is better than none, is it not? It's an abstract concept, but the car is not liquid like cash and can't be turned into multiple smaller piles. You don't have the money it represents anyway, so it makes sense to cut it loose for whatever you can get. Keeping it until you get 100% back is only a guarantee that you will continue to have 0% of it. 

Does that make sense? I don't know if I'm explaining it very well, but someone pointed that out to me long ago. Regardless of a car's value, the only time it's really worth anything is the moment it turns into a pile of money. Prior to that point, it's worth nothing because you can't spend it. Turning it into a pile of money of some size is the only way to make it worth anything other than $0.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, mrcvs said:

...Especially since that some time between purchased in 2014 and now, but likely closer to 2014, club members stated there was an upsurge in interest and values for the Model A.  Most obviously, this was nothing more than fleeting.

I'm guessing not all — or even many — club members were seeing "an upsurge in interest and values" four or five years ago. But human nature being what it is, they said the things you wanted to hear and those are the things you remember and want to be true.  

On the flip side, you're apparently not yet ready to hear, or believe, that today's market is, if anything, softer than 2014, the car is not particularly appealing as presented, there are loads of Model As for sale, and there are more effective venues to advertise. 

The forum members posting on this thread have, collectively, an enormous amount of experience and knowledge.  Yes, they're telling you things you don't want to hear — it doesn't mean they're wrong.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Straight up, I've seen some very, VERY good solid advice offered freely in this thread, from folks who have been around this hobby for many decades. No disrespect intended, but the OP's comments make it clear that he is not nearly so experienced within the old car hobby. Hopefully he will recognize that in ANY discipline or hobby, experience is a great teacher, revealing truth and understanding over time. I would say to the OP that he can either listen and soak up the knowledge offered freely here, or ignore it. But whether you listen or ignore it, THESE ARE THE FACTS of the matter. These sage hobbyists are not trying to attack you or make you feel bad...they are telling you how the market is, and how the old car world works. 

Remember, ANY collectible item is only worth exactly as much as the potential buyer audience exposed to it will pay. Not a nickel more...no matter what anyone else tells you. 

Years ago I bought a 1930 Model A 2 door sedan, all stock and an older restoration for $3,500. I drove it to work every day, year round, in all kinds of weather for an entire year. It had incorrect upholstery, some flaws in a modest-quality paint job, and some extra sealer visible around the soft top edges (where leaks had been fixed). I had a great time with the car, and eventually sold it for slightly less than I had paid for it. I had a ball with that car, and enjoyed many smiles, waves, and thumbs-up gestures from people in traffic around me. That was worth a bundle, and I reminisce about my days in that car still today. 

If I had gone to a local car dealer back then and bought any ordinary used car, I doubt very much that I could have sold it at only a minimal loss like that. And NO WAY could I have had that much fun. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I think a lot of people young and older are reluctant to buy a car that won't safely drive on the freeway.  So if you have to tow a car to show, it presents a major block to the fun, I would think.  I have a top of the line Edison Amberola 1A phonograph in oak that I am selling for just 3K.  I paid $3,300 for it and had some work done on it.  Why aren't people pounding on my door to buy it?  It's pre-war, WWI, that is!  All of you guys should make me an offer now or you might lose it!  I'll even include 45 Edison cylinder records.  

On a positive note, you have a complete, running and likely usable A that can be cleaned up vs restored by you or a new owner while doing local shows, parades, ice cream runs, and Sunday drives.  Also fun to admire in the driveway.  Ed is right in terms of buying a perfect car, but for someone who can spend 7,8k vs. Teens this is not a horrible car.  Selling takes time though, or more effort for less time, and sometimes we lack time to put in the effort if that makes sense, so you adjust price.  With early Fords, coupes and open cars do a little better, as rodders still want those cars so the market is a little bigger.  Entertaining that market is up to the seller, but that is a market fact.

Ideally you sell at a price you can live with and both parties are happy.  Still about  the easiest prewar car you can own..

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)

There was a time not too long ago, park a Model A at the church fair or at a cider fest and the response was everyone loves a Model A.  Times have changed! 

If anyone wants to make an offer, let me know.

Younger folks all want new.  It might be junk, but at least it's new.

Tear down a beautiful farmhouse and barn and build McMansions, and watch them come in droves.

I guess I am old enough to remember when these were appreciated and you were lucky to get one for $20,000.

How low over time will these go?  In 50 years, will a restored top notch roadster sit on the market forever at $3k?

Here is my view. Had the car for 10 yrs. Sold it for say $2,000.00 less then I paid for it divide that by 10yrs  that's $200.00 a yr. divide that by all two fun  car shows road trips stress relief. Washing cleaning and polishing. And I did not have to pay a therapist $$$   Was a very good investment along with all the friendships added along the way.   

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mrcvs said:

I guess I am old enough to remember when these were appreciated and you were lucky to get one for $20,000.

How low over time will these go?  In 50 years, will a restored top notch roadster sit on the market forever at $3k?

There has never been a time in my lifetime that any Closed Body Style Model A in the condition that yours appears to be in has been worth $20,000. It is all about condition. How low will it go... depends on how you store it. If you leave a Model A Ford that IS worth $20,000 today parked out in the weather for 50 years, it likely won't even be worth $3K. If you care for it, store it properly,  and drive it, it will likely be worth plenty in 50 years. 

I get that you are bummed that you can't sell a car for what you paid for it, likely because someone told you it would be a good financial "investment". Whoever convinced you of that did not know what he or she was talking about. My guess is that on ebay or facebook marketplace or in the Hershey Car Corral, your car can be sold for about $7,000 or $8,000. If the right person comes along, maybe more but also maybe a little bit less. You can either market it well at a reasonable price, or you can continue to insist that it is worth more money and you can keep it and watch it deteriorate from sitting outside in the weather until it is worth even less. The other alternative is you can rent a storage unit and keep it out of the weather and drive it and enjoy it. Those are about the only options. They all have different financial ramnifications for you. You just have to decide which you want to do. Continuing to complain about the market is not going to change the facts. It is worth whatever a buyer is willing to pay, no more... no less.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My recent selling experience was deciding it was time to sell a 1964 Triumph motorcycle I have owned for over 30 years and did a restoration early on.  I just love the bike - but to actually ride it - apparently not so much.  Less than 500 miles put on it while I owned it.  Just not worth the space for me to keep any longer.    It does have a handful of minor issues that need sorting (I was DONE working on it - just didn't want to touch it again).

I was given some advice on value: $3500 if sold locally and perhaps a fair bit more if I took my time and perhaps got a specialty broker/advertiser involved.  The specific model of this bike is pretty rare.   I advertised on several forums and received a lot of complements on the bike, but no offers.

I wanted EASY.  Put it on Ebay with a starting bid of $3999.  NO bids.  Got an Ebay msg a few days later and settled on $3800 (not using Ebay so no fees). 

The cash has been in my checking account for a couple weeks and the bike will be gone when shipping is arranged.  I bet I have twice the selling price into it over the past 30 years.   If I worked harder at the sale perhaps I would have gotten more?  But I was LAZY and the summer selling season is winding down.  You seem just like me except you haven't accepted reality yet. 

Jim

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jimy said:

The cash has been in my checking account for a couple weeks and the bike will be gone when shipping is arranged. 

Be careful. I sold something for 9500 dollars and the money was transferred through PayPal. Something didn't smell right about the buyer, so I stalled him for a few weeks before shipping, 33 days later, the credit card company swooped in and took the money back. The credit card was stolen and the victim didn't realize it until his credit card statement came in and then filed a complaint. The scammer was still calling me after the funds reversal wanting to know when it was going to ship, then I informed him the card was stolen, he immediately hung up.

I sold a vehicle on Ebay a while back and I made the guy wait 45 days before I would allow it to ship. 45 days is a good period of time to allow the transaction to settle and fish out any scam. And keep in mind on Ebay/Paypal, the buyer has 6 months to file a dispute and get their money back, and if they use an Amex card for the purchase they have a full year to dispute the purchase.

If this buyer is wanting you to arrange shipping and rushing you etc, you better watch out.

Bank to bank wire transfer is the safest way for the seller to receive the funds on long distance transactions, anything involving a credit card company or checks written on foreign banks is very iffy. Between countries, banks have very slow communication, a check or money order written on a foreign bank can take up to two months to clear. Most banks will put a hold on them just in case, but if the seller ships the item and the check then bounces, it's gone. Unknowingly, people assume because the bank accepted the check or money order it is good and the hold is just a formality, a bank will accept any convincing looking check, but that doesn't mean it's any good.

What I do to sniff out scammers is note the questions they are asking about the item and their level of knowledge of the item, if they don't ask the normal questions, I ask them the questions they should be asking me, if they don't know the answer then something is wrong. People don't buy things they don't know anything about. Generally.

-Ron

Edited by Locomobile (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I believe I am good here.  The check from his local bank cleared well over a week ago.  He has already warned me that it may take a while for shipping to be arranged.  His name/address/occupation and interest in Triumphs checks out with google.  No Ebay or Paypal was used for transaction.   But yes - it is very hard to be 100% sure of these things.  I have done this a handful of times and so far no problems.  Jim

Be careful. I sold something for 9500 dollars and the money was transferred through PayPal. Something didn't smell right about the buyer, so I stalled him for a few weeks before shipping, 33 days later, the credit card company swooped in and took the money back. The credit card was stolen and the victim didn't realize it until his credit card statement came in and then filed a complaint. The scammer was still calling me after the funds reversal wanting to know when it was going to ship, then I informed him the card was stolen, he immediately hung up.

I sold a vehicle on Ebay a while back and I made the guy wait 45 days before I would allow it to ship. 45 days is a good period of time to allow the transaction to settle and fish out any scam. And keep in mind on Ebay/Paypal, the buyer has 6 months to file a dispute and get their money back, and if they use an Amex card for the purchase they have a full year to dispute the purchase.

If this buyer is wanting you to arrange shipping and rushing you etc, you better watch out.

Bank to bank wire transfer is the safest way for the seller to receive the funds on long distance transactions, anything involving a credit card company or checks written on foreign banks is very iffy.

-Ron

Edited by jimy (see edit history)

12 minutes ago, jimy said:

I believe I am good here.  The check from his local bank cleared well over a week ago.  He has already warned me that it may take a while for shipping to be arranged.  His name/address/occupation and interest in Triumphs checks out with google.  No Ebay or Paypal was used for transaction. 

Those are all good signs that the transaction is good. Only takes a few minutes to do a google search, google their name in the white pages and make sure the phone number jives, and that number was on the caller ID etc.

I made a sale once about $4k, I received a check written on a bank in the Caribbean, and the delivery address was in California a suburb of LA, I street viewed the house and it looked abandoned, and the people were living in Hawaii. All the alarm bells were going off, so I called the buyer, and this lady got really PO'd at me, but I explained to her that the transaction mirrored a classic scam, and then she understood and agreed, I waited a while and shipped the item and all was good, I was holding my breath on that one :)

-Ron

Just sold a car on CL and received the asking price in Benjamins which have been deposited. Think CL is best for recent (1990 ?) cars priced to the market. Agree for older cars it may not be the best place but since I require AC mine are 50 years old or less & most cars I've bought/sold recently were from the '80s & '90s.

Well...

It goes live on eBay Saturday.

Yes, I can polish the firewall, etc. And maybe I will.

But that can't hide the wrong colour spray paint and other cosmetic things that a smart buyer will notice.

On this forum, you were all saying a few months ago that 12 k was a stretch but between 10 and 11k seemed about right.

Now, it's 7k to 8k.

What happened?

I remind you this one once "sold" on eBay for $10,875 a few months ago.

11 minutes ago, mrcvs said:

I remind you this one once "sold" on eBay for $10,875 a few months ago.

It will sell for whatever someone is willing to pay. A low price will sometimes turn buyers off, they see it as the seller doesn't believe it's worth much, so there must be something wrong with it. When I was a kid, my Dad was trying to sell a boat in the newspaper, he kept listing it for 800, nothing but people that didn't have the money and tire kickers responding. He waited a bit and relisted it for 1500, the first guy that showed up, bought it.

-Ron

• Haha 1

Funny thing about this hobby...

I grew up riding around in my parents' antique cars. They were a very young couple, without much spending power, and didn't even own a garage. We stored our old cars at my grandmother's single-car garage about 10 miles from home. In the late 1950's and early '60's, we car collectors were "oddballs." MOST folks didn't give a hoot for antique cars. When we would meet at a local shopping center to get ready for a monthly tour, you could hear passers-by saying things like, "Look at those old jalopies. What do those people even DO with them?" and "Don't you just hate it when you get stuck behind one of those old flivvers in traffic, going like, 30 mph?" and "Holy cow, what YEAR is that thing? Can you even find parts for it? What do you DO with it?"

MOST folks didn't want these old cars back in the day. I recall my dad getting phone calls from people saying that an old relative had died, leaving behind a pristine, low-mileage older car. No one in the family wanted it, but they hated to junk it. Would my Dad know anyone who might want it? In more recent times, I also get similar phone calls, only now when the old relative died, the family is fighting over his or her older 1980's or 70's rusty station wagon, and everyone wants to know what it is worth. 

Yes, "back in the day," we antique car enthusiasts were a small group of "oddball" folks, and MOST people didn't understand us, or like our old cars. Then the hobby exploded, especially when Duesenbergs and other grand classics started bringing 7 figures at widely-publicized auctions. Then 55-57 Chevy's and 2-seater T-birds got popular...soon to be followed by 64-1/2 Mustang convertibles...and suddenly the entire world became aware of the financial value and appeal of "classic cars." Then began muscle car mania and Hemi-powered Cuda convertibles were bringing 7 figures. I couldn't help but notice that these newer-generation collectors often discussed these muscle cars in terms of how much they were worth...

IF this hobby loses a large percentage of its current collectors, I predict that it will still remain larger than it was in the 1950's and 60's, when I was a kid in AACA. And just MAYBE folks will discuss vintage cars in terms of fun and joyful interest, instead of how much each one will bring at auction....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I'm listing it at $7250.  I originally listed it for $11999 and you all thought it was worth between 10000 and 11000.  Seems like if it doesn't sell here you will say it's worth 4 to 5k.

The American public is just plain cheap or broke, or both.

31 minutes ago, 48Firetruck said:

If you "sold" it on Ebay for $10,875 a few months ago, why do you still have it? 

Nothing is "sold" until the cash is your hand and the new owner has removed his property.

EBay is a scam in this regard.  No way to get a buyer to pay.  Folks bid as a firm of entertainment.

24 minutes ago, mrcvs said:

I'm listing it at $7250.  I originally listed it for $11999 and you all thought it was worth between 10000 and 11000.  Seems like if it doesn't sell here you will say it's worth 4 to 5k.

What anyone other than actual/potential buyer with cash in hand says or thinks it's worth is meaningless and that includes me, you and "you all" here.

Nothing to do with "plain cheap or broke, or both".

• Like 2

What saddens me, is that all of the advice given to you from this forum, isn't taken. There are many good folks here with all good intentions in helping you sell the A, and yet it is everybody's fault that the car isn't selling. I put money into my Studebaker to enjoy it, and i know I will never get that money back. But I am enjoying it. Maybe you are in the wrong hobby. John

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, jimy said:

Just not worth the space for me to keep any longer. 

My decisions are largely based on space these days. Last year I spent about $700 on temporary storage for the car I mentioned above and plan to sell. Space is just too valuable. I wouldn't tell a seller that his car isn't worth the space it would take, but it is easily worth $1500 to $2,000 on the low side.

It may sound optimistic but today's preference in my case is a clean, special, late model car, needing very little, over an old car. I will wait for a 15 year old car to age. All the old ones did.

I am no longer interested in the cars I desired when I was younger. And many owners minimize the cost of their deferred maintenance or re-restoration costs when they value their car. The last car I purchased as a hobby car to me came from outside the car hobby, pretty much the same as the '64 Riviera I bought when it was 14 years old. Those clean 15 year old cars seem to be a sweet spot for me. I only have one that was "old" when I bought it.

Young buyers and old guys like me might be finding value outside of the traditional hobby resources. That might be more of a positive thing than it looks like on the surface.

I ain't cheap and I ain't broke, but I can tell you the only place I have been accused of leaving too big a tip was while having lunch with a 75 year old car hobby guy.

58 minutes ago, mrcvs said:

I don't like to generalise too much. As others have said only a very small segment of the population is even interested in Model A sedan ownership. Of those potentially interested far fewer are in a position to buy one. Space, disposable income, life's demands on time, Even fewer still are actively scanning the market to buy one. If the car is priced at a  " very good value for the money " position then the pool of potential buyers enlarges...a little. Most likely enough to sell , but even at that probably : as you are finding, not an immediate slam dunk.

So not so much "plain cheap or broke ", but a dwindelling amount of people in the potential buyers pool.

Greg in Canada

• Like 1

Something I don’t think was mentioned yet is the fact that a significant demand for early Fords comes from the hot rod crowd.  It seems the OP is valuing his Model A alongside coupes, roadsters and pickups.   To a novice hobbiest that seems reasonable however you have to understand that Fordors are not desirable to hot rodders or even people who like improving the performance of a stock looking car.

Model AA trucks suffer the same fate to a lesser degree but the cabs are still favored by hot rodders so they are arguably more desirable than a Fordor.

Think of your car like a four door Corvair.  People might get a kick out of seeing it but few want to own it.  When the entry price is cheap you can still have the same amount of fun in the hobby just don’t expect much at sale time.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, John348 said:

Now for the $9500 question,,,,,,,,,,

Why does it have to be a young person who buys it?  I don't understand that part of your statement.  Every car I sold was to make room for another one and I could car less about age as long as they were over 18.

This "Young people" deal is highly over rated. You either have the passion for the cars & hobby or you don't, I'll take money from anyone handing it over. bob 

5 hours ago, John348 said:

I don't claim to be an expert, but what I have learned on the rare occasion that I've sold a car, is that patience has to be part of the equation. Timing is everything, this just might not be the right time for this car to sell. Only you can answer the question regarding your willingness to wait until that one right person discovers your car. 

While I have the attention of the forum-how important do you feel seller reputation when vetting a potential eBay buyer? Is a zero reputation buyer ever considered? Another question which may seem absurd to many. To avoid the pitfalls of funds transfer, and a possible scammer, what about sending cash via Registered Mail? 

Bill

Something I don’t think was mentioned yet is the fact that a significant demand for early Fords comes from the hot rod crowd.  It seems the OP is valuing his Model A alongside coupes, roadsters and pickups.   To a novice hobbiest that seems reasonable however you have to understand that Fordors are not desirable to hot rodders or even people who like improving the performance of a stock looking car.

Model AA trucks suffer the same fate to a lesser degree but the cabs are still favored by hot rodders so they are arguably more desirable than a Fordor.

Think of your car like a four door Corvair.  People might get a kick out of seeing it but few want to own it.  When the entry price is cheap you can still have the same amount of fun in the hobby just don’t expect much at sale time.

actually with the stock crowd, four doors are more desirable then tudors these days. more room for touring and taking people with you. The tudor was the highest selling body style in the day and the cheapest to come by today. they are everywhere for 5-7k.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Buffalowed Bill said:
1 minute ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

While I have the attention of the forum-how important do you feel seller reputation when vetting a potential eBay buyer? Is a zero reputation buyer ever considered? Another question which may seem absurd to many. To avoid the pitfalls of funds transfer, and a possible scammer, what about sending cash via Registered Mail? 

Bill

Totally depends on the item, and the eBay feedback can get screwed up over VERY minor things, personal case in point the POST OFFICE destroyed an item. FULL refund was given and they posted a NEGATIVE feedback that takes a year to get removed. Buying? Check the photos of the item, if the printed description makes you laugh, pass it along to friends and look for a better item. Bob 

• Like 1