Not Disappointed!!!

mrcvs

100A0A_9v7UKImwLHf_600x450.jpg1

These are 1930 Model A's. When I search locally this is what I find.

I would say that yes if someone is looking for a project car to turn into a hotrod they will want and pay more for a coupe or 2-door and not want a 4-door.

But in this case we have a complete original car to go on tours with, and enjoy weekend drives.

I just don't think these rods were created from complete, original running examples.

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)

Hmmmmmmm, you just might be on to something there, James. But I am here to tell you, the ladies sure seem to get past that. My 1927 Cadillac is a special shade of green. Girls love it. They actually do appreciate the extra doors too ! I need a road runner girl around 80 or so. 😉.    -   Carl 

P.S. Since most of you know my 2 old Cadillacs pretty well, I don't feel like putting a picture up which you all have seen already. For anyone who has joined more recently, lots of pictures of the green Cad can be seen by entering 'FRISCO in the search box. Click on the topic which has that word in capital letters. 

P.P.S. Mrcvs, show your wife the pics of my green four door sedan. Tell her she's gonna miss your green A when it is gone. You can tell her Cadillac Carl said so. Tell her she and the A are the loves of your life, and you want to keep 'em both.Tell her Dr. D' suggested you give it a try. That way you will earn a few extra points when you actually do sell it.  🥰

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, C Carl said:

Hmmmmmmm, you just might be on to something there, James. But I am here to tell you, the ladies sure seem to get past that. My 1927 Cadillac is a special shade of green. Girls love it. They actually do appreciate the extra doors too ! I need a road runner girl around 80 or so. 😉.    -   Carl 

P.S. Since most of you know my 2 old Cadillacs pretty well, I don't feel like putting a picture up which you all have seen already. For anyone who has joined more recently, lots of pictures of the green Cad can be seen by entering 'FRISCO in the search box. Click on the topic which has that word in capital letters. 

P.P.S. Mrcvs, show your wife the pics of my green four door sedan. Tell her she's gonna miss your green A when it is gone. You can tell her Cadillac Carl said so. Tell her she and the A are the loves of your life, and you want to keep 'em both.Tell her Dr. D' suggested you give it a try. That way you will earn a few extra points when you actually do sell it.  🥰

This girl liked this green one...:)

IMG_9847.thumb.JPG.04d7f110c33b680ca60f4bd3ee2d69b7.JPG

9 hours ago, mrcvs said:

Not sure why everyone is down on 4 door cars.  Every 2 door car I've dealt with is nothing short of a pain.  My wife had a 2 door Jeep Wrangled and that was sold and she got a 4 door one which is far better.  I'd pay less for a 2 door car any day due to the inconvenience.  Not sure who got the notion that an identical make and model car, but with 4 doors, is inherently less appealing than a 2 door model.

4-door = family car.

2-door hardtop = gentleman's car

Convertible = gentleman's car perfect for going out on a leisurely Sunday drive

As the cars get older and their typical uses change, so does their relative market value.

• Like 2

Color tastes change with the times.   Period colors in 1930 were for the most part black, gray, black, brown, black.   But there were exceptions.   In the 1980s,  every big prewar car was painted fire engine red because that was the style.  These days those cars are hard to sell.

• Like 1

Nowadays, the four door car seems to be in demand around the cities, these young guys like them as a ghetto cruiser. In the 70's-80's, you couldn't give an older four door car away, especially a yellow or green one. Or a used station wagon before it was a classic.

Color? Black, it has the most universal appeal, never goes out of style. I think that is why Henry went with it.

-Ron

3 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Yeah color is discussed in a thread on the CCCA section.  I think, for this period green is a better cilor in most cases but not everyone agrees.  If we were to change from maroon I would go with green, but that is all subjective.  

Picture saves typing 1,000 words. Bob 

02%20-%2035%20B%201931.jpg

• Like 3

A "suicide door" car with no B pillar is easier to sell than a plain one.

Back in the day a 2-door business coupe was the cheapest in the line.

It does not matter that you can't get in the back seat of my coupe, the rear seat cousions touch the back of the front seats.

It's true that green can be hard to sell, but it depends on the car. I think it looks wholly appropriate on a Model A and it's one of my favorite combinations, especially with the Apple Green wheels. But green Corvettes and green Camaros and green 1953 Fords are tough sells.

It's also true that sedans are harder to sell than coupes and convertibles, but you'll also note that the folks driving convertibles on tours don't often put the top down.

All that said, my personal collection is exclusively comprised of 4-doors, one of which is green. I think if you like a car, the other factors are not as critical. We've had good success selling Model A sedans, including a green slant-windshield sedan a few months ago and a green tudor more recently. When I go on tours, the folks in the roadsters and phaetons always look exhausted by the end of the day and if there's rain or it's chilly, they end up in my back seat as often as not. Last spring we did an early April tour in the '41 Buick limousine and some folks in a '33 Ford roadster decided on one cool, wet morning that they were going to sit the day out and go shopping locally. I invited them to ride in the limo instead (the kids used the jump seats) and we all had a great time. Sedans aren't always glamorous, but they're still the utility infielders of the old car world and there's exactly zero shame in owning one. And I have to admit that when it comes to Model As, the 4-door's proportions are better than the tudor's and I think Model A sedans are better looking than most of their contemporaries.

I don't have a point to make other than this is a hobby about passion. Nobody will buy a car unless they love it, but I think there are guys out there who will love this Model A. It just takes time to find them. I tell every single client that it's rare for a car to sell in less than 90 days and it can often take longer, even with all the marketing we do for each car. Expecting results in days or a few weeks isn't reasonable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

Getting in the back seat of a 2 door convertible is not a difficult task for a lady either if the top is down. Other than the few that don't like their hair blown around I think they would pick the convertible over the stuffy sedan.  Of course that may also depend on how reserved the lady is. 

My wife wouldn't ride in the convertible so I got her this white Jaguar ball cap. She still didn't look too happy. So I told her "You know that's a cougar on the cap". She smiled and said "Really!"

• Haha 1

Do I dare admit that one of the reasons I fell in love with my Model A was because of the green colour scheme?  I thought it was a sharp looking car!

Obviously, my tastes are not mainstream.

I'm at about 75 to 90 days on the market now.

Long long long thread but a fair amount of good information!

IMO your ebay add needs to have more about the car, more pictures, and less fluff.

Perceptions of a buyer:Talking alot about the club just tells me that no one in the club wanted to buy it. Telling us the last bid ended without payment makes me question if there is a reason due to the car. Telling me how great a deal it is makes me feel like I'm at a used car dealer (and I even sell cars for a living!) The fact is the price you're asking is fair, not amazing. There are many other model As and other cars available in that price range. Also refusing to use paypal hurts. It's safer for you than 10 days on a personal check for you too. Checks can bounce after that point depending on the bank.

On an aside, all the fears in this thread about the information FB has and uses at the same time complaining that young folks aren't interested in old cars is amusing. If you make it impossible to see, talk about, and purchase them with modern means we are used to, what do you expect? I'll bet many folks my age (36) haven't ever held $8k cash. Why would we? Not that we don't have it, but it's not in dollar bills. Not using FB doesn't protect your information so much as it protects you from realizing that privacy isn't a thing.

I have bought and sold dozens of cars over the years. The only one I ever bought for other than cash is the only one I have ever bought at a dealer. Very low factory incentive financing .

The only one I have ever sold for anything other than cash was a recently sold parts car. Sold to the owner of a local restoration shop as a parts source for a customer job. It wasn't much money, and it was someone I know reasonably well.  It made his book keeping easier to use a company cheque, and I felt the situation had 0 risk. Otherwise it's strictly cash on all transactions.  I never state cash only if I advertise something however if I am asked if I will accept something other than cash I politely decline and give the prospective buyer directions to the nearest cash machine. Never had one not come back yet of the 3 or4 that have enquired.

Greg in Canada

12 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I don't know how relevant this is, but I know from my years in the apparel industry guys just wont wear green. Maybe they wont drive green either.

I used to go to happy hour at a bar frequented by an "outlaw" biker (not a criminal - more of an old hippie).  At the time, I had a lime green hot rod.  We admired each other's machines but he told me bikers consider green unlucky.  :o

Have ordered a new car a few times and has been a deep BRG or Brewster Green with a deep brown (leather) interior. I just like the combo. Some do.

Back in the day a two door had a longer door than a fourdoor and the front seats folded forward. I consider the CTS a two-seater. An adult could probably sit sideways but would have to crawl under the seatbelt.

1 hour ago, mrcvs said:

I'm at about 75 to 90 days on the market now.

No you're not. That's not how it works. You're 3 days on the market. You tried, you took it down, you took new photos, and you posted it in new places. Consistent, long-term advertising is what sells cars. Not spreading your ad around in a few places, then killing it and trying something else. Most guys look at the car they're interested in a few times a day for weeks before they can screw up the stones to make a purchase. They have to dream about it, E-mail it to friends, show it to their wives. Nobody sees and ad and gets so excited they simply must have the car RIGHT THIS MINUTE! They gotta work themselves up to it. Give it time. You just hit the reset button. Sorry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Most guys look at the car they're interested in a few times a day for weeks before they can screw up the stones to make a purchase.

This is the last car that I bought. The intent was a daily driver from 70 to 80 years old. It was in a town about 6 miles away and I added up the number of times I drove down there to be 17 during "closed" hours.

Here it is in the location where it sat for sale. One picture I took in January before I saw another person on the lot.

007.thumb.JPG.bf269691b639d8566cf6be0e29db3959.JPG

I studied the car thoroughly online to be sure I felt semi-confident I could service it myself. My main decision rested on the desire to own it AND the confidence that in a worst case situation I would not lose more than $3,500 on the risk.

February will mark two years since I bought it. One minor repair and much of the routine work checked off.

The window sticker shows $121,000 new. Believe me, my $3,500 risk is nothing compared to those whom came before.

I established that risk figure back around the turn of the century when I got involved in buying online and sight unseen. I haven't been hurt yet.

Sometimes it is just the willingness to take a loss that makes all the difference. I firmly believe there is a cost of ownership for everything. Anyone know the story about the kid who kept demanding chocolate ice cream?

Try to keep in mind that you are not alone in what you are doing. It's obviously true, or you wouldn't see thirteen pages of responses. Buying and selling is something we all have to do, whether we like it or not. We are all going through adjusting to the changes in the market. How you, or we adjust to the reality of the market changes, is about the only thing that we can control. Trying to fight this thing, at every turn, is a loosing battle. Your buyer for this car is out there, but he may not know about the car or isn't ready yet, it's all about the timing. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mike6024 said:

1929 Ford Model A Sedan

The following BaT Auctions listing has ended: 1929 Ford Model A Sedan

High Bid: $7,200 (Reserve not met)

Bring-a-nitpicker is totally the wrong place to sell a car like that. Mercedes SLs, Porsche 911s, a few late-model BMWs, sure. Anything pre-war? You may as well be trying to sell buggy whips.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Nobody sees and ad and gets so excited they simply must have the car RIGHT THIS MINUTE! They gotta work themselves up to it.

I mostly agree with you... however... I think the old gent that bought my dad’s A was tipping a cold one when he read my ad about my father’s situation and put an escalation bid on eBay before bed to ensure he would get it. When I talked to him later, he was sure he wouldn’t pay “that much” for an A. I think he took pity on my dad’s situation and then “forgot” the bid he made. He lived up to his bid though. 

I found out later that he was taking care of his wife with Alzheimer's and he was in his late 80’s. I felt so bad for him at his age having to do that. Turns out my daughter had a friend at my house that knew him and his sons, even though he was 3000 miles away. He specializes in A’s and was apparently quite well off. 

My point is what you put in the ad is important, as well as what you don’t, just like Matt said. Help people fall in love with the car and be honest about its condition. 

• Like 1