What Was The First Car You Ever Drove?

My dad let me drive his new 1956 Chrysler I was 13.  He was with me.  I drove from St Paul to the north shore of Lake Superior.  

We did get busted on the way back, the HP has a road block, they were looking foe some crooks. 

First car I drove was about a 55 Hillman with a four speed column shift.

Drivers test was my dads 62 or so Lincoln, the only time I ever drove it without him on the car.

Not much of a drive, just moved it down the driveway and back in Dad's 1951 Nash Canadian Statesman but with the driveway being slanted, had to learn how to feather the clutch without stalling.....

Took my drivers test in his 1964 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88. The instructor passed me but said I needed to slow down a bit.

Nervous? I think it was the engine! :D

First car I ever drove was my father's '54 Ford 2-door. 6 cylinder with automatic. It had a sea-foam green paint job courtesy of Earl Scheib ("I'll paint any car for $29.95").

Took my drivers test in a tan 1966 Rambler American with 3 on the tree. 

I suppose the first REAL car I drove was my Dad's 1964 Chrysler Custom 880 convertible. I was 15 and Dad wanted to test my skills. Of course, I did, too. Took driver's training in a 1967 Chevrolet Camaro convertible (driver's education car at the local high school)....

1967 Chevrolet Camaro.JPG

The Mom's '63 Buick Special for the first drive and drivers test but when I had my learners permit my Brother let me drive his '66 Chevy 2 door Malibu with Bucket seats, four speed and 327 V8. He would lay down in the back seat and tell me wake him up when I was done. Loved that car, very fast could run with the 396's all day.

Might have been a COPO car! He was a barber and one of his regular customers was the Manager of the Chevy Plant in Baltimore were it was being built. He mentioned that he had just ordered it and the Plant Manager said he would walk it through the plant to make sure it was right. Pretty sure he got a Corvette 327 in his Malibu. 

Sitting in my Dad's lap??

51 Chevrolet sedan. Lap

52 Ford 1/2 ton truck. by myself, around the lot next door, when my parents were gone.

Before that it was Towmotors. Sitting in various laps. Probably 5 or 6 years old.

Most AWSOME. 1955 Chevrolet 210 with a REAL 427, 4 speed, tunnel ram with 2, 4 barrels, crammed between the fenders with a 4.10 rear end gear. I was about 17.

I sat in a AA/ Fuel Dragster, with it running, one time. Owner wouldn't let me drive it but he gave me a pint can of PURE nitromethane to take home. 

Thats another story about my buddies 5 hp go cart. I was 14. ( Centrifical clutches, flat head Briggs, and nitro don't mix. )

Bill H

Edited by Bill Harmatuk (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Guest Skyking

First car,  my father's ' 55 Buick Century

Took my road test on my older brother's new '61 Impala

My first drive looked like Keiser's, but had little ladders on the sides. First real one,49 Ford V8 overdrive. Drivers test, cousins 55 Ford ( because the 49 didn't have snow tires). Never been in it before, talk about nervous! High school driver, 41 Willys coupe.

My first drive........a 1904 Stanley through the fields at the winter cabin in the summer of 1972, I was six. I have been hooked for life since.

• Like 1

first car to drive was a 40 mercury I bought at 14.  drove around our fields and some time out on the road.. took drivers test in my fathers 54 ford at 17. three speed stick. my car at the time was a 51 mercury.

First car I ever attempted to drive was dads '58 Buick Super. What a beast, and at 12 years old it was pretty bold to put a key in the ignition and think you were pretty cool. Well, the folks were out for the evening so here goes nothing. Not cool at all, scared ----less, went around the block and attempted to squeeze it back into the attached single garage. All was fine except I put two big round holes in the sheetrock where the front bumper hit the wall. Never told dad the whole story until I was married, he just thought the builder forgot to install grates over the ductwork.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brass is Best said:

What was the first car you ever drove? What was the car you took your driver test in? The first car I ever drove was a 1928 Ford Model A Roadster. I was just old enough to reach the pedals.

1st car ever drove:  A 1948 Oldsmobile Futramic 98 (driven in the cemetery)

Took Driver License Test in a 1956 Oldsmobile 98

Like Keiser31, my fist car had pedals, @ age 4 in Minneapolis MN

Learned to drive in the 1950 Austin Saloon on my 12th birthday in Princeton NJ.

Moved up to the 1954 Metropolitan conv. @ age 13. (I had a car guy for a father)

Got my Florida Restricted Driver's License at 14.  (Happy to have moved to Florida!)

Got my regular driver's license in a new 1961 VW on my 16th birthday.  (Took test, went home a got Dad's 48 Cadillac Conv because my Moon Machine was not licensed yet)

FirstCar.jpg

50AustinSalloon.jpg

54 Metro.jpg

61 VW.jpg

Moonmachinered.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mike36 said:

My first drive looked like Keiser's, but had little ladders on the sides. First real one,49 Ford V8 overdrive. Drivers test, cousins 55 Ford ( because the 49 didn't have snow tires). Never been in it before, talk about nervous! High school driver, 41 Willys coupe.

I vaguely remember one before the one in the photo and it had ladders, too.

The first car I drove was my Dad's '52 Ford.  I was 14 and he let me drive it in and out of the garage.  Another more exciting drive about the same time was when a young doctor at the office where my mom worked let drive his Austin Healey 100 around the parking lot!  I took my drivers test in a neighbors '55 Olds that I had never driven before but managed to pass the test.  He worked downtown by the DMV and offered to take me.  I took the bus home and then took the '52 Ford out for a drive with a big smile!

Edited by michel88 (see edit history)

The first car for me was a 1957 Plymouth fury . Learned to drive and took my test in it,,  Shortly after that learned to drive 2 !/2  ton & 5 ton trucks in vietman  . Never drove a stick before that , I had to learn QUICK  .  That's another story  . kings32

2 minutes ago, kings32 said:

The first car for me was a 1957 Plymouth fury . Learned to drive and took my test in it,,  Shortly after that learned to drive 2 !/2  ton & 5 ton trucks in vietman  . Never drove a stick before that , I had to learn QUICK  .  That's another story  . kings32

AAhhh, the joys of a south east Asia vacation compliments of Uncle Sam. :mellow:  I missed that by just a few draft numbers.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

If you was one of the lucky ones to miss it  it wasn't all good times in the sun .  But kids it took awhile to see it wasn't a game we played  a few years earlier in our back yard . But I did get some big trucks and learned a lot  .  Kings32

At about 13 I learned that you have to coordinate the accelerator, brake and clutch on a '50 GMC pickup. Bent the front bumper on a tree learning how :rolleyes: Took my driver's test in our Canadian '59 Dodge Mayfair (a Plodge) - it had a pink body and maroon roof :o - yes it was a correct factory combination and you couldn't lose it in a parking lot :P

After the tractors it was our post war Austin truck, and a series 1 Land rover. Guess the first real car, on the road, was my 1939 Chev Sloper. The Pooncarie copper was out on the sheep station where I worked, doing some shooting, and suggested I might like to drive into town some time and pay for a licence! He knew I had come from interstate, driving it, and had never bothered with a licence. So drove into 'town', population about 20, dug him out of the pub, (after shouting him a beer), and we wandered down to the police station, where he wrote out a licence for me. Never did take the test.

Mick

• Like 1

My Uncle JW put me behind the wheel of a "probably" 1950 Ford, while traveling on the winding roads of Quiton Oak back in about 1957. Luckily, he was right beside me as I did not maneuver that Ford very well around that sharp left corner. (Still remember the spot!) My short legs would not even hit the brake pedal, could barely hit the gas. Thankfully Uncle JW grabbed the wheel and snatched her left. We all laughed for the next mile.

Good memories!

Flat head 5 hp Briggs and PURE nitromethane.

Of course we wanted to see what would happen if we poured the pint of nitro into a half empty, or less, gas tank on my buddies go cart.

Dumped it in. No body on the go cart.

Pulled the recoil start. It took about 2 seconds for the nitro to get to the combustion chamber.

The motor screamed. The wheel spun. We froze. The go cart took off. Ran into a tree. Broke the frame on one side and the motor Exploded.

All this happened in about 5 seconds and we still never moved. 

It threw the piston into the sump and busted the side case.

My friend that owned the go cart started crying and myself and my other instigator buddy, started laughing.

No You Tube back then.

• Like 1

I started on go carts and riding lawn mowers. At about 12 I drove my father's 1949 International KB2 PU and about a 1952 Farmall.

The fist car I drove was my fathers 1960 Dodge wagon on a frozen lake pulling a sled with my brothers on it. I was just a bit over 13 then.

No jail time for parents back then.