Do you have a collector car older than you?

michel88

I was wondering if many forum members have collector cars older than they are, and the reasons they have them. I have a 1940 Buick Roadmaster Coupe that was built before I was born (1944). The reason I have interest is probably because my Dad bought a new 1940 Buick Super Coupe. Being a frugal and practical man he kept it until 1951, so I have happy childhood memories of it. I hope older cars are still being collected by future generations.

I would expect three quarters of all AACA members at a minimum can respond in the affirmative on this. I include myself currently with three cars older than my birth year; the oldest by 13 years, a 1934 Terraplane convertible coupe because I admire the styling and engineering. And I'm looking at a 1912........

Guest D1933
I was wondering if many forum members have collector cars older than they are, and the reasons they have them. I have a 1940 Buick Roadmaster Coupe that was built before I was born (1944). The reason I have interest is probably because my Dad bought a new 1940 Buick Super Coupe. Being a frugal and practical man he kept it until 1951, so I have happy childhood memories of it. I hope older cars are still being collected by future generations.

My Dad left me his 1933 ford pickup. He bought it before I was born. In my lifetime I remember it running once. I was born in 1971 in case you wanted to know.

Almost every one of mine are older than me ('47), 1904 Cad, '11 Brush, '26, '27 and 29 Fords. Exception is a '62 Vette that I got for pure speed and because it was the last of the solid axel versions. The Cad and Brush were compliments of my neighbor who got me interested in old cars at a very early age. Got the '26 Ford for sentimental reasons. Dad's birth year and he learned how to drive in one on Montana country roads. We all have our reasons, and at my age I am running out of reasons to bring more home.

Keep them original, and good luck!

Guest Old48Truck

My truck and I are the same model year, but the truck was "born" in December 1947 and I was hatched in September 1948.

Kind of a mix at this end. My '60 model VW Bug rolled off the assembly line on December 31, 1959, whereas I "rolled off the assembly line" on October 26, 1959. We also have a couple of VWs that are older than I am, plus a couple more air cooled VWs that are younger than I am as well. They're all enjoyable in their own way...

I only owned cars older than me until they became impractical as daily drivers. I was born in 1974 and my first post-me car was a 1984 VW Scirocco that I bought in 1992 because I felt my Corvair would be too unreliable to take 350 miles away to college. That VW turned out to be a nightmare.

My newest non-modern car now is 1933. Later cars don't interest me much, although there may be another corvair in my future.

I was born in 1960. Most of my antique cars have been Model A Fords. Currently, I own a 1929 Model A Ford Phaeton. I have no explanation other than the cars of the 1920s and 1930s have always appealed to me more than any other time period.

Guest soldier

My 1931 Buick club coupe is older than me, but not much. I was born in 1932. I had one almost like it in 1951, and sold it before I went into the service for $150. When I found this one on ebay in 2007, old and good memories prompted me to buy it. It cost me quite a bit more than $150 this time, however. Soldier

Current collections has 3 cars older than I am. I've always liked the really old cars and thought I'm no antique,

so my "antique" cars had to be older than me or it makes me an antique too. I'm no antique yet! (66)

While I realize that antiques get older and I don't, it sure beats trying to re-live my car passions as a teenager.

I've never had a "collector car" that wasn't older than I am. I was born in 51 and I did have a 34 Chevy for a few months but I've long lost interest in "new" cars and stick to brass now. I generally feel that cars been going downhill since the invention of the electric starter... That is an exaggeration and if I had the time and energy I would be tempted by many of the early 20s classics that were really big brass cars in disguise.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)

They say that, eventually, people yearn for the cars they owned as teen-agers--

or the cars they wanted as teen-agers. People that grew up in the 1950's

love the colors, fins and chrome, and eventually want to obtain cars like those.

People in high school in the 1960's wanted a muscle car, perhaps, and now they

finally can buy one.

According to this theory, most people's current antique cars would be 10 to 20 years younger than they are.

My case is the opposite. I got interested in cars as a teen-ager, and

as soon as I graduated from college, I bought my first antique: a 1957 Buick.

At that time, the cars I wanted in high school were still practically new cars.

So my antique was older than I.

I'm a 74 model. Did Detroit really build much good that year or since? I've never owned a car I considered to be an old car that was built after 74.

My cars are a 36 Chrysler

36 Cord

48 Plymouth

1959 Thunderbird

1956 Olds

1949 Mercury

2-1932 Fords

My intrerest pretty much waines off in the early 1960's

I was 23 in 1956 and fresh out of the Army when I bought my first old car a 1915 "T" Ford roadster, I still have it today but the '56 nitro cellulose lacquer has started to fail. Bought it from the original purchaser 8 miles from my home. Have added 6 more pre '16s since. My fair weather daily driver is a '61 Ford Galaxie Sunliner also a "local" car. Where has the time gone? ---Bob

I was born in 1951. I have a 1940 LaSalle. By the time I was a kid, these cars had disappeared from the roads.

I also have a 1956 Continental Mark II. I remember these from when they were new, or very close to it. I lusted for one of these cars my whole life. Strangely, I have trouble thinking of the Mark II as an old car. The LaSalle, on the other hand, is an antique in my mind because it is older than I am.

Despite my age, I don't have any interest in cars after about 1966. I always thought that cars became less desirable about then.

When I was 10 years old I spent the day at the local HCCA Fall Meet that had a 1942 cutoff date, that set the groundwork for my life in the hobby. I've never had any interest in a vehicle that was in a showroom in my lifetime, thay just don't do anything for me. My 1912 T was the first Antique I was given a ride in, it was restored in time to drive on the Glidden Tour in 1950. I was born 3 months later, so I have a car with a restoration that is older than I am. Bob

As a WWII baby I'm approaching (galloping toward?) my 70s.

Five of our cars were on the streets before me, as in the list below

Guest deluxe39

I own a 1939 Ford panel truck which is 5 years older than me & a 1946 pickup ! I enjoy riding them in the backroads mostly !

I own a '30 Ford Model A and I was born in '37. When I was a kid, during WWII, my dad drove his '31 Model A Cabriolet most of the time because of gas rationing. Boy, did I love that car. After the war he sold it to a good friend who was discharged from the Navy and needed a vehicle to go to work. Well, those memories of that Model A stayed with me all my adult life, until I bought my own Model A about a dozen years ago. Now, my 39 year old son had his eyes on my "A". He'll own it some day. All's right with the world.

Rog

Yes. My Buick is a 1941 Built in Oct. 1940. I was born in '45. My folks owned a 1941 two door fast back Buick when I was about 5 and I've wanted a '41 for 55 years. Finally got this one last year. It's original just turned 25K miles and lots of fun.:) Pictures guys, we love pictures!

Wayne

1941 Buick Super 51

post-78086-143139100247_thumb.jpg

post-78086-143139100276_thumb.jpg

The car in my Avatar is older than me, and my only current collector car. Surprisingly, I used to not like these coupes very much, thinking the nose was too droopy for the elegant pillarless side view, but then I fell in love with the Facel Vega coupes (that many believe Paul Bracq was "inspired by" when he designed this Benz coupe) but couldn't afford one, so these seemed like the next best thing. By the time I finally found one I wanted to buy, I was smitten by all the fine detail and design work and can't imagine enjoying another car any more, aside from possibly an Aston Martin DB2 or V8.

I was born in 1940. I started working in a filling station in 1948 and immediately decided I wanted to own a 1948 Lincoln Continental Convertible. I got one in 1967. My other two are older than me -- a 1932 Plymouth Model PB business coupe (that I've owned for 50 years) and a 1932 Plymouth Model PB sport roadster. Two out of three ain't bad. I got the coupe by accident; Found it while looking for a Model A Ford. The roadster I wanted because it was a car I lusted after in high school but couldn't afford.

post-30785-143139100862_thumb.jpg

post-30785-143139100856_thumb.jpg

Guest Tim Romans

Most of my cars have been older than me (born in 1978.) My first car was a 1965 Mercury Comet, followed by a 1973 Ford Maverick, a 1957 Oldsmobile, a 1956 Oldsmobile, and my current ride, a 1941 Buick SSE Coupe.

Cheers!

Tim Romans