Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

14 Good

About xdmn

  • Rank
  • Birthday 03/23/1970

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Interesting this thread popped up after a 13 year hiatus. We just re-acquired our Royal Windsor Hayes coupe after selling it in 1989. There are 12 documented survivors thus far of the original 1,000 allegedly made in 39. Anyone know of any others?
  2. Will be parting out over the course of the next couple weeks and whatever is left will go to scrap unfortunately. Let me know what you may need
  3. 89 TC for parts with many extras. 400 obo and delivery included within 80 miles of 95361. Can store up to a month after completed sale. Willing to consider just selling some of the parts but would like to have it all go at once. I had 3 TC's and enjoyed driving 2 of them. This one and the extra parts I collected as I came upon them. I do have a title for this one. Many extra parts from a burgundy TC found in a wrecking yard a few years back. Extra headrests in nice shape, extra carpeting, windows and motors, seat motors, 2 complete Teves brake units, extra stainless, dash parts, all glass
  4. What DMV office did you go to and is your vehicle insured as a collector car? A 73 Van can certainly qualify but we want to be certain we are in line with the spirit of the statute. What do you intend to use the van for?
  5. Agreed there are some inconsistencies in the code and many other "oddities". Why is a 16 cylinder car specifically mentioned or some other opposing descriptions. Per Jack, that happened after the DMV staff wrote the statutes and some wanted to allude to their cars(someone apparently had a Cadillac or Marmon). I sure do miss Jack but call Mona occasionally to say hi. Though I did get his Travco that he used to get one of his Pierce-Arrow's from back east and has a picture of it in Buffalo in front of the factory in the book written about him. When I first started doing this, I as
  6. Updated links for this code use. https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum=4604. https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum=5004. https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=VEH&sectionNum=5051. The DMV has continued to be less and less inclined to interpret this properly and each person is subjected to the whims of the field office or the clerk. However, if you can decipher these correctly and remain calm and respectful but in
  7. I have not posted here in a while. However, this continues to be very important. I am a director with the Association of California Car Clubs and Collectors. www.acccdefender.org We are THE watchdog organization for all car folks in CA and have been since 1971 when we were concerned that CARB would be overstepping it's authority, among other things. We can assist when citing this code or applying it. Most DMV clerks are unaware of it or unclear with how it is supposed to be applied. When presented properly, we have never lost a case where the vehicle is supposed to be exempt by statute from no
  8. Looks like I need to update the links on this as the CA DMV has changed the web address or something. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/vctop/vc/d3/c1/a5/4604 https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/vctop/vc/d3/c1/a8/5004 https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/vctop/vc/d3/c1/a8.3/5051
  9. You have to make the same argument each time as you are always going against the grain on this. Every time I can convince a collector to stick to their guns on this, we win as the code is on our side. Please contact me via this forum or at xdmn@yahoo.com and I will help you with this.
  10. Most other states do not charge back penalties for cars. You do have the option of filing a certificate of non-operation though if the car will not be on the road. We do have the exemption for smog requirements on pre 1975 cars so that helps to offset the negatives here in CA
  11. It may indeed cause someone to store the car for long periods of time without registering it, which is the requirement in CA if it is used on the road. If you are going to store a car you own and it will not be on the road, you should file the required non-op form. The cost is minimal. One of the keys to keeping and using this statute is to not abuse it. Or use it as it was unintended. However, we find that for the most part, collectors are unaware of these statutes altogether.
  12. there is a separate code for custom built cars. they issue 500 new VIN's per year for newly constructed vehicles. Hot rod and modified vehicles ARE eligible to fall under this code as long as the vehicle fits the 25 years old or older part. Again, DMV is not and should not be in the business of determining what is collectible. We should be careful not too abuse this though. Bill Adams 209-402-6167
  • Create New...