Do you have a collector car older than you?

michel88

I was wondering if many forum members have collector cars older than they are, and the reasons they have them. I have a 1940 Buick Roadmaster Coupe that was built before I was born (1944). The reason I have interest is probably because my Dad bought a new 1940 Buick Super Coupe. Being a frugal and practical man he kept it until 1951, so I have happy childhood memories of it. I hope older cars are still being collected by future generations.

I am a 1980 model and I own a 1955 Nash Metropolitan that I am going to restore. I've always loved cars, especially old ones. They have a certain style and class that is missing from modern cars. A little off topic, but, my love of cars lead me to get my AAS in Automotive Technology and I currently work for an classic car engine rebuilder in Seattle, WA.

My RHD Dodge Brothers (opposite) is 1926 and my Austin Swallow saloon (sedan) is 1930. At 57 I have been interested in old cars for over 50 years. My interest was sparked by a childhood visit to what is now our National Motor Museum (originally the Montague Motor Museum) at Beaulieu, Hampshire, England. The museum owner, Lord Montague - whose father had been a pioneer motorist - allowed me to sit behind the wheel of the 1930 "Golden Arrow" the famous world land speed speed record car.

I was also influenced by the film "Genevive" which followed the adventures of two couples taking part in the London to Brighton veteran car run and was largely responsible for generating the public appetite for old cars. My hope has always been to take part in the Brighton run myself. One day my dream will come true.

Ray.

• 2 months later...
Guest specialedduluxe

Dude I was born in 1963. I have a 1949 Plymouth p18. I traded a really nice 1969 Buick Wildcat Conv. I owned and restored for 20 years, for a beat up plymouth, at a car show even up. EVERYONE TOLD ME I WAS INSANE CAUSE MY BUICK WAS WORTH MORE THAN DOUBLE. I can't explain it. Something about three on the tree gives me flashbacks to my Pop. I read recently that even Snoop Dogg has a '48 Dodge for similiar reasons.