Car guys who might surprise you

Posted (edited)

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/cars/article/pink-floyd-nick-mason-car-collection

Pink Floyd’s Nick Mason has such an incredible collection of classic motors.

He does drive them in classic car races

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Clive Palmer - A drop-kick wannabee politician mining billionaire here in Australia - fairly extensive collection of vintage and veterans

In pics: Clive Palmer's $20m car collection (whichcar.com.au)

Hitler’s Armored Mercedes 770K Limo Is Now Part of Billionaire’s Private Collection - autoevolution

Edited by Fordy
additional link (see edit history)
  • Like 1

BTW, the Drag-U-La and Musters Koach you see in the article with Butch as an older person (you can see the VA plate on the Drag-U-La) were built by CVCC (Central Virginia Corvair Club) member Rucker Posey. Quite the fabricator he is!👍👍👍

• Like 3

Though no longer with us actor Charles Bronson loved pre war cars. Had a Cadillac or two and decades ago when there was a Blue Flea Market field at Hershey I met him walking around there looking for parts as he lived just east of there. Nice guy and quite enthusiastic as well. Not an "investor" who never drove his cars.

• Like 9

Posted (edited)

Former VIKINGS Defensive Tackle Pat Williams has a PURPLE 1970 Cadillac Covertible....

Former New York Met Bobby Bonilla has a Blue 1967 Olds 442 Convertible...

I have seen George Foreman ( the parent -- since he has 6 sons named George ) at Carlisle ....

Many Many Sports stars ( they have Millions $$$$ ) have car collections --- newer and older.....

Patrick Mahomes has a Lamborghini,  a Rolls Royce, a Ferrari,  and more.....

Edited by mobileparts (see edit history)
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, mobileparts said:

Former VIKINGS Defensive Tackle Pat Williams has a PURPLE 1970 Cadillac Covertible....

And Vikings defensive lineman and retired supreme court judge Alan Page was often seen on the New London to New Brighton Antique Car Run with his 1906 Buick.

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Though no longer with us actor Charles Bronson loved pre war cars. Had a Cadillac or two and decades ago when there was a Blue Flea Market field at Hershey I met him walking around there looking for parts as he lived just east of there. Nice guy and quite enthusiastic as well. Not an "investor" who never drove his cars.

Charles Bronson was a big fan of the Bugatti. I think he had a couple of them. There is a nest of them in Utica, NY but I never got a chance to verify if any had belonged to him.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

The singer and actor Sergio Franchi (d.1990) was a serious collector of pre-war cars.

At one time I was selling some Silver Ghost parts for a friend and ran an ad in Hemmings. I got a call at the office and a deep voice introduced himself as "Sergio Franchi the singer". I said "this is Joe Puleo, the typesetter, what can I do for you". He was interested tn the RR parts I was selling and wanted to look at them...which was ok with me. He lived in Stonington, Connecticut which is only about an hour away. Our secretary was a huge fan of his and I thought it would be nice to surprise her with an autograph. Sadly, he never showed up and I heard later that he had died at just about that time so I have to assume his health was not all that good.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 5

@Walt G seems to me a Charles Bronson used to advertise in HMN usually pertaining to CCCA cars and I thought it might be him.

Jack Palance I believe was a CCCA member and Lincoln collector.  Given their era and wealth though, I am not sure they (or most others listed here) would be surprising.

Jeff Beck, Ted Nugent, Brian Setzer, J. Geils all have/had great cars.

Female rocker Chrissie Hynde keeps a 68 or 69 Pontiac Lemans in Akron, OH for visits home from the band's UK base. Maybe a bit surprising? 

What we really need are politicians who collect.  Let's leave that one as it sits though don't want to blow up the thread. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I heard Jay Leno has a Buick of some sort, maybe others.

Yes, 502 BB Chevy in a 55 Buick.

Twin Turbo LS, RWD in a 67 (made to look like a 66) Olds Tornado. Everything unique & special about that car gone!

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

Jack Palance I believe was a CCCA member and Lincoln collector.

Yes he was, not sure about the Lincoln collecting but when we spoke he was looking for parts for a 1935 Cadillac.  We were standing at a flea market space table looking at parts and I had in one hand the end of a big toy pressed steel sedan I had just bought and now recall it was a Lincoln! ( made by Turner toys - a model L sedan , I still have it huge toy ) Anyway he admired the toy and we got to talking and found out both of us were at that time CCCA members and he remembered what I had been writing on a regular basis for the CCCA  magazine. Good memories of long ago and club's that I no longer associate with., but have fond memories of what they were like at that time.

• Like 5

Mike Mussina Hall of Fame Pitcher who pitched for the Orioles and the Yankee's had pretty large collection that was featured on sports show. He said that he was looking forward to his retirement so he could go back to working on them again, he could not risk damaging his hands or fingers. He still resided in near Coudersport PA as I recall, the town he grew up in.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

Yes, 502 BB Chevy in a 55 Buick.

Twin Turbo LS, RWD in a 67 (made to look like a 66) Olds Tornado. Everything unique & special about that car gone!

So no Buick or Olds as we know them... 😁😁

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)

Cartoonist Charles Addams was a long time collector of pre war cars, Austin Clark made post cards of Charles cars as well. I recall getting a ride in Charles Aston Martin and Bugatti out in Southampton, NY and supported he and his wife Tee's efforts in a dinner held at the golf club just west of the L.I. Auto Museum ( the dinner was a fund raiser for ARF - Animal Relief Fund who took care of stray dogs and cats)    Charles kept his cars at his home  north of Southampton. He was a really nice guy (felt comfortable /  liked old car people)  and his sense of humor was incredible , even in person. (when the L.I.Auto museum closed , Austin Clark had a "wake" in the form of a party and it had a jazz band playing just like they do in New Orleans  for a wake - Charles attended and wore an arm band in mourning)

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 5

43 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Reggie Jackson.

I was literally googling to see if he was still collecting after losing a bunch of cars a long time ago.  Musclecar guy I believe.

• Like 1

Jay Leno really knows how to equally love both original and hot rods together ....not one bit bias.....something I really admire with the best of the best

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arcticbuicks said:

Jay Leno really knows how to equally love both original and hot rods together ....not one bit bias.....

So essentially just trying to be like me.  😜

• Haha 2

Jim Rice,  "The Boston Red Sox Hit Man", late 1970's  & early 1980's.  Had a collection of 1956 Chevrolets.   

JIM RICE (1974-89)

Rice was considered the “other” rookie alongside Fred Lynn who propelled the Red Sox to an AL pennant and a memorable World Series with Cincinnati in 1975, but he would go on to have the more substantial career between the two—and ruled as the AL’s best hitter, period, late in the 1970s, when he won the MVP once (1978) and placed in the top five of the vote three other times. It was during that MVP season—in which Rice hit .315 with 46 home runs and 139 RBIs—that he totaled 406 bases, the highest figure seen in the AL since 1937. Surprisingly, his superstar efficiency waned in the early 1980s, all before enjoying a mid-decade renaissance when he led the AL in 1983 with 39 homers and 126 RBIs; it was the first of four straight years in which he would knock in at least 100 runs.

Dressed as a gangster, he did a "Boston Hit Man" poster for PUMA Shoes with my 34 Ford Tudor V8 in the mid 80's.  He was a fun guy to talk with about cars.  He was holding a machine gun in the poster and it was printed with bullet holes cut into. .I got $400 for the day!, but it was fun.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Walt G said:

Though no longer with us actor Charles Bronson loved pre war cars

11 hours ago, Steve_Mack_CT said:

seems to me a Charles Bronson used to advertise in HMN usually pertaining to CCCA cars and I thought it might be him.

Wow..... I remember reading those adverts in HMN with Bronson's name....

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Walt G said:

I met him back in the 80’s. Interesting guy and very, very low key. We exchanged Christmas cards for years. Over time we would have lunch at some old crappy restaurant, hot dogs and beer……….always the same lunch. He was generous and paid every time. He had a Stutz…….but never learned what years or series. Memories of times gone by……..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Dan Aykroyd is a car guy,used to (maybe still does) own a Pierce Arrow, maybe others.  He has a sister who lives not far from me, he used to do ads for her husband’s local company.  Newcomers always wondered how the brother in law could afford Aykroyd doing ads!

He was Grand Marshall in a local parade, saw my Pierce and came over, introduced himself, and chatted cars for a little bit.  Very personable.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Reported to be Eric Claptons first ride

1938 Cadillac Fleetwood Series 75 Via Wikimedia Commons:The Hartford Guy

I think that Caddy is used in the very beginning of his video Pretending for the Journeyman Album  

• Like 1

Retired NBA player Rik Smits has a collection of Plymouth Superbirds. 

Former NHL goalies Ed Belfour and Corey Crawford are both muscle car guys. Crawford had his Chevelle on his helmet at least once. Don't have a photo but I saw the game.

• Like 2