Eclipse

I am at the 70% range. Did not hardly get dark at all. My grandson had a pair of glasses so we took turns. It was actually pretty cool looking. A reverse crescent moon, only it was the sun that was the crescent.

• Like 1

It crossed through Ohio. Total coverage, although slight ring around moon a t total . My wife used eclipse glasses she saved from last partial that passed through here 24 years ago.  I used my auto dark welding helmet.  It worked great because the hood blocked side light as the sun disappeared.  However the auto dark function quit about 3/4 through. Apparently not enough light to function,  even on Hi sensitivity. Setting.  I had to press and hold the battery/auto dark test botton in until enough sun returned.

Carly Simon said it best back in 70's, ".....to Saratoga, and your horse naturally won, then you flew your Lear jet to Nova Scotia to see the total eclipse of the sun.." We got only a slightly darkening sky this time, a big yawn! When interviewed today about why she chose Nova Scotia back then in her lyrics, she said she needed a place that rhymed with Saratoga!

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Carly should have gone out for coffee with me this morning. I drove my '60 Electra. "I had one eye on the carpet store window as watched my Buick drive by". I would have nudged her and said "Git it?" Nudge, nudge, wink, wink, partner.

• Haha 3

We saw a lot more coverage on Long Island than I thought we would. I have a Solar Filter for my telescope hoping to see solar flares but unfortunatley did not.

We had a great Eclipse experience here in central Ohio.  100% totality and 90%  clear blue sky.    The next one I will see will be looking down towards the Earth.

• Like 3

I was quite a slacker when it came to taking photos, but my family all gathered together at the Model T museum in Richmond, IN because they just happened to be right in the thick of it all and it's an excuse to go to the model t museum.

A surreal experience shared with both my daughters, both my parents, and dozens of strangers from around the country. The ring of fire was awesome, as was standing in the dark with light on the horizon in all directions.  The drive home was a bit congested. 

Well, we here in Cleveland had a great seat for the eclipse. We sacrificed our youngest boy, like we were told to do, and the sun came back, so I guess it worked.

You're welcome.

• Haha 19

I think that's if they go out in the noonday sun... or that might be Englishmen!🧐

About 85% occlusion here. There were enough clouds to cover and dim the sun enough to safely view the crescent.

Reminds us that there are powers far beyond our comprehension at work.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Reminds us that there are powers far beyond our comprehension at work.

While there are things beyond our current comprehension, a solar eclipse isn't one.

The first successful prediction of one in written history is over 2000 years old. For much of the time since then those who studied these things could state when one would occur but not exactly where. Since Newton figured out classical rules for gravitation, the predictions started getting better and better with regards to exactly where especially now that the heavy number crunching is done with computers..

• Like 1

Clear here in my part of Virginia today. Fun watching the birds starting to go to sleep. Then, surprise! Wake up a few minutes later.

• Like 3

I had no eclipse plans but just as we were sitting down around 5 PM Sunday night a neighbor dropped off two of those dark glasses.   Seems they bought a bunch they didn't need.  They were headed to VT - hope they got to see something other than CT, MA and NY license plates...

Stepped outside between meetings and it was cool to see but def nothing I would drive hours to see..

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

We sacrificed our youngest boy, like we were told to do, and the sun came back

It is amazing what some cultures sacrifice in those situations. I hear it is still dark in Chicago.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I went to an eclipse tailgate hosted by the nice folks at the Model T Museum in Richmond IN. It happened to be on my way home from Charlotte. 

I’ve seen a partial eclipse before, but didn’t expect the huge change in light as that last 1% of the sun gets covered. I’m glad I made the extra time to see it. 

IMG_8786.jpeg

Edited by CarNucopia (see edit history)
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Well, we here in Cleveland had a great seat for the eclipse. We sacrificed our youngest boy, like we were told to do, and the sun came back, so I guess it worked.

You're welcome.

As an added bonus, I’m sure the older ones have found a new sense of vigor in doing their chores. 😁

• Haha 2

I've seen  partial eclipses before and they are kind of cool, but I wouldn't go out of my way for another.

An actual full total eclipse like I saw south of Toledo OH yesterday is a whole different experience.  Totally worth it.

• Like 3

Totality here for about a minute, but only saw a sliver just before and again just after totality due to the @%$* clouds!  Still, it was eerie having darkness fall so quickly - saw a beautiful 'sunset' band on the horizon just below the clouds for the 180° I could see looking north.  That's the first and last total eclipse I'll experience...

• Like 2

Here in southeastern Massachusetts, we had about 89% totality, just a few wisps of clouds in the sky.  My small weather station records temperature, humidity, sunlight intensity, etc.  We saw the sunlight intensity drop from about 700 watts/square meter down to 25 watts/square meter.  At the same time, the temperature dropped from 62 °F to 54 °F.  While the sunlight and temperature recovered somewhat, it was already late enough in the afternoon that the sun was getting low in the sky.

eclipsesunintensity040824.jpg.d52bea7afaac4c429afb012095f119ae.jpg

Sunlight intensity during eclipse.

eclipsetempdrop040824.jpg.62b503132f6081cc5d7168153dde80bb.jpg

Temperature drop during eclipse.

• Like 1

I have seen a couple. The one a few years ago I remember the best.

There was one about 1975 or so. I recall the cows heading for the barn, then turning around.

22 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

Carly Simon said it best back in 70's, .... When interviewed today about why she chose Nova Scotia back then in her lyrics, she said she needed a place that rhymed with Saratoga!

That's an interesting thing to say, since there actually was a total eclipse of the sun in Nova Scotia in both 1970 and 1972, when the song was written.

I read recently that the supposed object of Carly's scorn has become a near recluse. He's still so vain he can't deal with being, or looking like, an octogenarian.

We all have our own eclipses.

This one will probably be the last I see. I probably won't be alive in 2044, and if I am I'll probably have to be spoon fed and wear adult diapers!👴

Yup. We all have our own eclipses!🌚

• Like 1

Here fifty miles south of Rochester, NY, we were right on the southern edge of the path of totality.  Unhappily, there was a heavy gray overcast right from dawn on.  What we experienced was a noticeable dusk falling from 2:30pm onward until 3:19pm when the clouds to the west darkened like a severe thunderstorm was about to hit.  Then suddenly at 3:20-3:21 pm as the edge of the shadow swept over for about a minute it got as dark as it does just before total night completely arrives, the streetlights came on.  The only lighter clouds were immediately to the south of town near the horizon.  Just a quickly it began to lighten up as if a fast-moving thunderstorm front had just passed by.  By 4:00pm it was nearly back to just the general light level of a cloudy day.  Of course, the clouds broke-up by 5:30-6:00pm.  

"Is that all there is to an ellipse?  If that's all there is, if that's all there is my friend, then let's keep dancing..."

• Like 1

Someone on TV stated that the shadow was traveling across the earth's surface at 1500 mph!  Even without seeing the corona in person it was still a neat experience.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2024 at 9:09 AM, CarNucopia said:

I went to an eclipse tailgate hosted by the nice folks at the Model T Museum in Richmond IN. It happened to be on my way home from Charlotte. 

I’ve seen a partial eclipse before, but didn’t expect the huge change in light as that last 1% of the sun gets covered. I’m glad I made the extra time to see it. 

IMG_8786.jpeg

I was 75 feet away from you. 

• Like 1