Revolutionary cars in history

maok

5 hours ago, Hemi Joel said:

I think that Duesenberg's introduction of four-wheel hydraulic brakes was quite revolutionary. Virtually every car today has them.

The Cord L29 was revolutionary with it's first use of front wheel drive in a production vehicle, and it introduced low slung styling that absolutely caught on. The 36-37 Cords were revolutionary in being the first car to have a rear hinged, one piece hood.

I supposed to VW beetle could be considered revolutionary, being the first subcompact econo box import to really catch on and sell in high volume.

1934-37 Chrysler/Desoto Airflows and very early Franklins had one piece rear hinged one piece hoods 

Lots of good suggestions.  Agree with many of them, but struggling to see why the Tesla Cyber Truck would be on a “revolutionary” list.  I suppose it depends on how you define the criteria.

• Like 3

Much like many other inventions or major advances in human existence (the printing press, steel, the telephone, computers, antibiotics to name a few) the automobile invention circa 1886 was revolutionary and from that initial invention, has been subject to evolution, but not revolution in my view.

Certainly Karl Benz and Gottlieb Daimler are widely credited with the first successful fitting of an Internal Combustion (I/C) engine to a wheeled vehicle for personal transport. Their design concept of a 4 wheel, I/C powered, front steering, belt or chain driven conveyance remains largely unchanged in principle for nearly 140 years. What has happened is some very important "evolutions" over the period, typically one every decade or so.

Rolls Royce and Cadillac cars of the 1905-1910 era established high standards for others to follow. Henry Ford followed with the perfecting of the assembly line means of making the Model T, an "everyman's car", opening the wide expanses of North America for all to see. By the late teens and early 1920's, Bugatti, Porsche, even Ferrari as well as Miller and the Duesenberg brothers stateside, and others saw the potential of creating sports cars to appeal to the human desire for speed and adventure, creating an ever increasing race to better technology, road handling and streamlining. This is AACA members favorite development.

While the oft referred to "classic styling" peaked in America by 1932 (Duesenberg, Packard, Cadillac and many others), the American industry moved to streamlining with several successful and unsuccessful attempts. In Europe, focus was on the artistic cars of Bugattis and Alfa, and the powerful government sponsored beasts of MB and Auto Union, which dominated racing with their superb cars. 

Forthe average Joe (or should I say Karl), VW was developing its Beetle (1939 forward) which some might say was the first 'major change in automobile mass production" since the ubiquitous Model T. It's "peoples car" vision was for a small, easy on gas, solid, rear engined urban conveyance. It would prove a successful concept right up to today, even if production only lasted 40 years or so.

Post war, the bathtub style was an evolution, developed in America  (1949 ford, Hudson, Packard) and in Europe with the early Ferrari's. The same period saw the development and later refinement of V8 engines, both a blessing and a curse (lots of power for trucks and busses etc, but gas guzzlers for cars). Such power allowed for bigger, heavier and more extravagant cars, and the 1950's were strewn with them, with their chrome, fins and googaws.

Europe for the most part avoided this period of excess, continuing to produce fine, smaller, technically proficient vehicles, M/B, Aston, Bentley, Citroen, many others, and BMW (and Porsche) was evolving as a maker of nicely styled and technically superior cars.

About this time a fork in the road led in 2 directions. Honda and similar companies were developing their "econo-boxes" which with hatchbacks, would within 15 years become the choice among suburbanites. The other road led to muscles cars(1965-1980), family sized bodies with over-sized hearts. Many families had one of each in their driveways, with a definite gender preference!

Along the way during this first 100 years, we had Wankel Rotary engines which some thought might catch on,  power assist everything, then Engine Control modules, seat belts (and many safety items like ABS )and too many developments to count.

The past 30-50 years have been dominated by thoughts of replacing I/C engines largely with hybrids of full EV's. As for evolution, quality control has improved, and electronics and technical developments (synthetic oils, radial tires, AI) have led to reduced regular maintenance and more refined cars. 

But much like the telephone I have in my house today with a "landline", the concept of the phone has not really changed in 100+ years. I say the same for cars, today they are just a much more highly refined version of Benz and Daimler's vision of 1886?

• Like 3

1938 Buick had the Self Shifter. Sure, didn't sell well and most were retrofitted with a three speed manual, but ONE is showing up at Buick meets now, so they do work!

Then Oldsmobile and Cadillac worked on the Hydramatic for introduction in 1940 models of both brands. It took the events of WWII (M18 Hellcat) for Buick to bring the Dynaflow to introduction in 1948 Roadmasters.

Yes, Corvair, showed F. Porsche 6 cylinders would fit in the rear... Ha!🤣

And Pontiac used the Corvair transaxle (with only a few mods) in the 61 to 63 tempests! And the rope driveshaft...😉

Chrysler minivan just moved the uni-pack (engine/transaxle) up front from where VW and Corvair had it for years in their minivans. Corvair also had doors on both sides of their minivans as an option. Called the 8 door nowadays.

❄️❄️🍾🎄☃️☃️🍯🛠️

Edited by Frank DuVal (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Gunsmoke said:

For the average Joe (or should I say Karl), VW was developing its Beetle (1939 forward) which some might say was the first 'major change in automobile mass production" since the ubiquitous Model T. 

Post war, the bathtub style was an evolution, developed in America  (1949 ford, Hudson, Packard) and in Europe with the early Ferrari's.

The Citroen 2CV was just as revolutionary as the Beetle was in its home country of France.  And for its simplicity, and affordability, it was 'right up there' with the Ford Model T in the US, Austin 7 in England, and the Beetle in Germany.

The 'bathtub' style where the passenger cabin and B-pillars extended beyond the inner fenders thus eliminating the running boards, and being further apart than the wheel's outer track was also practical; not just a styling statement.  Besides eliminating the running boards, it also allowed superior legroom in the passenger area.  

Craig

• Like 2

19 hours ago, maok said:

Also the Airflow in '34 with a rear hinged, front opening hood.

I learned something new today! Thanks for pointing out my error.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, rocketraider said:

One I just thought of is the 1949 Ford lineup, since its styling and suspension engineering completely broke with Ford tradition.

Amazing the direction Ford took after Henry I was out of the way.

The shoebox Ford certainly is an iconic car, and one I like a lot. It certainly did break tradition at Ford, but technologically they were way behind. For me, it's pretty hard to think of it as revolutionary. V8, Hotchkiss drive, parallel springs, independent front suspension, etc. just sounds like they almost caught up to Oldsmobile, about a decade and a half after the fact. That and Kaiser-Frazer had slab sides in 1946.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, 32buick67 said:
  • 31 Buick OHV straight 8
  • 57 Corvette Fuelie

Both by John Dolza...

image.png.f63d18857737f344fa7776d58c741057.png

Chevrolets' ohv 6 before the Buick ohv 8?

On 1/3/2024 at 10:59 PM, 8E45E said:

For efficient packaging and use of space, Austin/Morris Mini.  87% of the car was devoted to passenger & luggage space.

As far as 'revolutionaries' in automobiles, it must also be extended to the ones who made them so; either engineering, or a statement of design.  The list would include:

Henry Ford

Charles Kettering

Alex Issigonis

Hans Ledwinka

Ferdinand Porsche

Harley Earl

Bill Mitchell

Karl Benz

Herbert Austin

Alfred Sloan

W.P. Chrysler

William Hartnett

Albrecht Goertz

Thomas Edison

Kiichiro Toyoda

Barney Roos

Preston Tucker

Virgil Exner

Others can add more to the list.

Craig

Craig, the man who gets the least due for some reason.  Ransom Olds!  He had many first in the industry and some of those on your list either learned from him, worked for him or were suppliers.  He founded two automobile companies.  We can't forget DuPont either for his accomplsihments with GM and leading so much of the WWII war effort in manufacturing.  Oh and Ed Minnie too! :) 

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, 28 Chrysler said:

1924   You almost won the cigar Mack

I wasn't sure if the 1st re-badged Maxwell's in '24 were hydraulic or not.

On 1/4/2024 at 2:58 PM, maok said:

Chrysler in 1925 or 26?

56 minutes ago, maok said:

After spending way too much time down that rabbit hole several years ago, I think the answer is "no". I am going to say "no" and hope to be proven wrong by someone who knows more than I do. On second thought, I notice you said '24 and I may be answering the question wrong. Weren't there still Maxwells in '25? Either way, the rabbit hole questions I was referring to are "Was it possible to get hydraulic brakes on the very last Maxwells?" and "Was it possible to get 4 wheel brakes on the very last Maxwells?".

Bigger Chryslers had hydraulic brakes. some of them and maybe all. In Canada rebranding of the 4 cyl Maxwell might not have been done at exactly the same time. Chrysler's engineers were making changes to the 4 cyl Maxwell/Chrysler/Plymouth at breakneck speed during that time. It seems like it should have been possible to get hydraulic brakes on the very last Maxwells, but I have never seen one.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hmmm, no mention of the Dodge Brothers to which I ask the question of whether Ford or Olds would have been ultimately successful without the effort of the brothers?  At lot of the names I believe comes down to who had the better publicist.   

• Like 2

21 hours ago, 34LaSalleClubSedan said:

1934-37 Chrysler/Desoto Airflows and very early Franklins had one piece rear hinged one piece hoods 

Not to mention just about all of the brass Renaults and any number of other French cars.

• Like 2

On 1/4/2024 at 4:50 PM, alsancle said:

1929.   3 years after Stutz did it in 1926 and 4 years after Stanley/SVC did it in 1925.

Al, the 1920 Duesenberg Model A was the first production car with 4 wheel hydraulic brakes, not the model 1929 model J. 

Isotta Fraschini had four-wheel brakes a year or two prior, but they were mechanical.

Edited by Hemi Joel (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, maok said:

Chevrolets' ohv 6 before the Buick ohv 8?

Yes, but Buick OHV 6 was before Chevrolet's OHV 6. Buick was always OHV! Walter Marr you know. He even made an OHV V-12 for himself.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, maok said:

Depends on the model.

The 1924 Chrysler Model B roadster my uncle has is not a Maxwell and it has full hydraulic brakes.

Edited by zepher (see edit history)
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, Hemi Joel said:

Al, the 1920 Duesenberg Model A was the first production car with 4 wheel hydraulic brakes, not the model 1929 model J. 

Isotta Fraschini had four-wheel brakes a year or two prior, but they were mechanical.

You are of course, correct. I get a little too hung up on the model J. And we all forget about the model A.

How about the first mini van. Volkswagen started in 1950 with the type II.

Chrysler fans may disagree.

• Haha 1

On 1/4/2024 at 5:27 AM, JRA said:

The ones necessarely in my list are:

- Oldsmobile Curved Dash

- Ford Model T

- Marmon Wasp

- Cord L29

- Willys Jeep

- VW Beetle

Finally someone remembered the VW Beetle,  Thanks Pfeil & JRA .   The car that changed the modern world.

FallColor.jpg.baf4b049c71b580734c78ffdd8ad50bb.jpg

Edited by Paul Dobbin
added picture of our VW (see edit history)
  • Like 3

On 1/3/2024 at 8:39 PM, Rusty_OToole said:

Good catch. 1914 (or was it 1912?) Cadillac had the first really good electric starter, most important it was integrated into a complete electrical system with generator, coil ignition, and electric lighting the first time this was done, and showed the way for every car made afterwards. Belongs on the list of revolutionary cars.

• Like 2

Hee. From the days when GM would give a new gadget to Oldsmobile or Pontiac the first year to prove itself and if it worked satisfactorily, then Cadillac would get it. That way if the gadget absolutely blew up, the lower ranking car took the hit and Cadillac remained unscathed.

All that went away around 1980, I think it was.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2024 at 6:23 AM, kuhner said:

How about the first mini van. Volkswagen started in 1950 with the type II.

Chrysler fans may disagree.

There was also Morris J2, Commer, Standard Atlas, Bedford, and Ford Thames 'minivans' sold here in North America during the 1950's.   Silverwood Dairy had a fleet of Bedfords for Ice Cream trucks commonly seen during summer when I lived in Winnipeg.

Craig

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

There was also Morris J2, Commer, Standard Atlas, Bedford, and Ford Thames 'minivans' sold here in North America during the 1950's.   Silverwood Dairy had a fleet of Bedfords for Ice Cream trucks commonly seen during summer when I lived in Winnipeg.

Craig

Don't forget the Stout Scarab from 1936.   An American made rear engine mini van that even looked like a VW Microbus inside and out.

I'm sticking with post WWII  cars as there were lots of improvements made up to 1944

When it comes to cars the Tucker and Corvair were both unique in their design.   

WWII  advanced materials that improved cars and their reliability and performance. 

Tires...... before WWII had a limited life,  today we complain if we don't get 50K + miles out of tires driving at 70 mph

Modern fuel injection solved lots of start and run problems and improved mileage

Electronics... everything from remote door locks,  automatic garage doors,  on and on 

• Thanks 1

1984 Chrysler minivan. 

aaca eligible, probably saved a company at the time and started a entire genre of design. They were everywhere back in the day, but are practically extinct now where I live.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Don't forget the Stout Scarab from 1936.   An American made rear engine mini van that even looked like a VW Microbus inside and out.

The Stout was not really a production car, but I WILL nominate the 1935 Chevrolet Suburban.

Craig

Which one is responsible for our modern tranny?

In 1924 Chandler introduced the "Traffic Transmission," a constant-mesh gearbox that reduced the need for extra clutching when downshifting. This was several years before General Motors offered the "Synchro-Mesh" transmission, which allowed the driver to shift into first gear while moving forward at low speeds.

The first car to use a manual transmission with synchromesh was the 1929 Cadillac, however most cars continued to use non-synchronous transmissions until at least the 1950s.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PWN said:

This was several years before General Motors offered the "Synchro-Mesh" transmission, which allowed the driver to shift into first gear while moving forward at low speeds.

Most of the GM cars I've seen of that period only had second and third gear synchro meshed. First gear synchromesh was on four speeds of the early 60s, with the three speeds getting it in 1966.

• Like 1