The Excitement of a New Car- a 1962 Olds joins my collection

Fargoguy

Had the opportunity to look at and purchase this car this week. Hasn’t been road driven in 20 years, needs some sorting out and puttering, but overall I’m happy. 1962 Olds Fiesta 3 seat wagon- very well optioned- I think the only option I don’t have are the power vent windows. The rear steps for the 3rd seat are both missing from the rear bumper, and I could really use a rh outside mirror, but other than that I’m looking forward to putting some quality miles on this thing. 

IMG_6055.jpeg

IMG_6054.jpeg

Resized_20230813_110320.jpeg

IMG_6059.jpeg

• Like 33
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1

Very nice, Fargo Guy, and definitely unusual!

Station wagons were overlooked and neglected

for so many years--just like 4-door hardtops today--

that they disappeared without anyone noticing.

I don't think I've ever seen a '62 Olds wagon from

the rear.  Those taillights are distinctive.

• Like 1

Somebody wanted an Olds wagon with all the bells and whistles, but needed the third seat - so they had to get a Dynamic instead of a Super. For some reason they only offered the upper level wagon with two seats. Probably the only reason it doesn't have power vents is because they weren't available on the Dynamics. Interesting that it has TWO radio antennas. The driver's rear quarter is the stock location of the power antenna on the wagon. Whatever is on the passenger's front fender doesn't belong.

Welcome to the world of the Space Age Oldsmobile.

3-seat Fiestas were available only as Dynamic 88s. 6417 produced, and a lot of them were heavily optioned. They usually had a heavier duty SlimJim too.

Fusick has driver side mirrors but I think the 1962 base is side specific. Not sure if you could simply flip the base 180° and have the passenger mirror.

Oldsfan and StarfireElvis are your go-to guys for 1962 big Oldsmobiles and  StarfireElvis has a 62 Dynamic Fiesta.

30 minutes ago, Oldsfan said:

Somebody wanted an Olds wagon with all the bells and whistles, but needed the third seat - so they had to get a Dynamic instead of a Super. For some reason they only offered the upper level wagon with two seats. Probably the only reason it doesn't have power vents is because they weren't available on the Dynamics. Interesting that it has TWO radio antennas. The driver's rear quarter is the stock location of the power antenna on the wagon. Whatever is on the passenger's front fender doesn't belong.

The upper-level logic must have been a G.M. thing. You couldn't get a Pontiac Bonneville 9 passenger either, only Catalina. You could get that Catalina with the Ventura trim option, nice but not quite Bonneville luxury. 

Anyroad, this wagon looks very nice, and everyone saved puts a smile on my face.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, keiser31 said:

You might try French Lake Auto Parts for the steps.

The steps can come from either 61 or 62 full-size 3-seat wagon and they are different left to right. Part #s from 1965 parts book in case you luck up and find NOS.

16923731753093801271609433773467.jpg

Unless they were really trashed you have to wonder why they weren't reinstalled, esp since the mounting holes are clearly visible. Up front, wagon rear bumpers suffered the same rear bumper rust issues as the regular passenger cars, so any used you find may be good for paperweights.

Also have to wonder why whoever reinstalled the trim mounted the tailgate Rocket upside down, but I see that on a lot of restored 62 Oldsmobiles. Lot of em put Starfire roof emblems on backwards too. Grates on me...😠

• Like 1

That is a great looking wagon.
I've been a wagon fan ever since my parents picked up a '72 Vista Cruiser in the mid 80's.

That will be one great car to own and drive.

2 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Note the parts book indicates for 88 and Super 88 3-seat wagons, and this parts book was contemporary when the cars were almost new.

That's because in '61 they offered both trim levels in 2- or 3-seat configurations.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I don't think I've ever seen a '62 Olds wagon from

the rear.  Those taillights are distinctive.

The '61's and 62's Fiestas had those awesome taillights.  I wished they were also used on the sedans, hardtops & convertibles in 1962 as well.

Craig

That is a very handsome wagon -Congratulations!

The rear facing third row seat brings back memories. My parents purchased a new Chevelle Malibu wagon in 1973 that had the rear facing seat. I was 10 years old and thought I would have that seat to myself when we made our cross country trip from Virginia to California that summer. Turns out I wanted to see where we were going rather than where we'd been. I don't think I made it 100 miles!

• Like 1

Congratulations, always an Oldsmobile fan dating back to a 53 Ninty Eight Holiday that I updated with  a 57 J2 coupled to a 37 LaSalle floor shift.  My first wagon was a 68 Bonneville Safari followed later by a 73 Chevrolet Caprice Estate wagon followed by a used 76 Oldsmobile 98 wagon. The 78 Mercury Marquis wagon was my last full sized purchase.   Station wagons died with the introduction  of the Mini-van.  Sure wish I would have kept a couple of them, especially the 76 Oldsmobile with the 455.

Edited by Robert G. Smits
clarification (see edit history)
  • Like 1

What a great looking wagon  --  Congrats  !!

And should be a terrific cruiser. 

Dad had a 1951 Pontiac 3-seat tin woodie with Hydra-Matic which I was able to drive other than public roads long before I was of legal age in NJ. It was surprisingly well optioned and very comfortable. Later, his 1959 and 1961 Olds 88 were both amazing cars to drive, but he never again needed a wagon, and his next was a '72 Sedan deVille.

Reminiscent of the 1966 Pontiac Catalina and 1968 Chrysler Town & Country wagons we drove after welcoming our 2nd child -

then came the matched pair of 1971 Citroen D-21 wagons, maybe not as ostentatious but also fantastic for cross-country family trips, alongside the Pallas sedan and Maserati-engined SM.

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I don't recall ever seeing the 2-tone treatment before such as your new wagon presents-

Looks sharp, and visually lengthens an already impressively long car.

"Factory" or not - still interesting

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Fargoguy, that is fantastic!  I completely forgot that Oldsmobile made full-sized wagons in the early 1960s.  This is a total champion between condition and options.  I hope you acquire the missing pieces soon, but yes, love to see such a pristine, unmolested part of American motoring heritage!  I am also partial to this because my Mother's first car was a '62 Oldsmobile Starfire convertible (unfortunately "retired" before my birth), and my parents bought a new '73 Custom Cruiser.  Third time WASN'T the charm because an '82 Cutlass had abyssmal build quality and I only figured out the reason for such: I always remember reading the sticker in the doorjamb as "Made in Canada", and then I read about the infamous Ste Therese factory in Quebec, the scourge of the GM factory firmament.  A decent car that was poorly built.  But back to the vehicle featured here, I love the early 1960s styling of GM vehicles, especially this year before the more sombre '63s.  Thanks for sharing this, also because it prompted me to register on the forum to complement your ride!

On 8/18/2023 at 3:12 PM, Fargoguy said:

Had the opportunity to look at and purchase this car this week. Hasn’t been road driven in 20 years, needs some sorting out and puttering, but overall I’m happy. 1962 Olds Fiesta 3 seat wagon- very well optioned- I think the only option I don’t have are the power vent windows. The rear steps for the 3rd seat are both missing from the rear bumper, and I could really use a rh outside mirror, but other than that I’m looking forward to putting some quality miles on this thing. 

IMG_6055.jpeg

IMG_6054.jpeg

Resized_20230813_110320.jpeg

IMG_6059.jpeg

Congratulations 🥂