New technology - GPS vs Printed Maps

Buick35

Isn't new technology great? NOT! My wife and I just drove to Tampa Florida from the east coast for her doctor consultation. We drove the horrible I-4 but wasn't as bad as I thought.Anyway I thought we'd come back a less congested more scenic route but I left my Rand McNally road atlas at home.Would you believe nobody in Tampa sold road atlases or even new what I was talking about? I bought my last one at a Wal-Mart in 2014. It didn't help that most of them didn't understand english. I guess road maps have gone the way of teaching cursive writing and track phones which I'm being forced to give up but that's another story. Sorry for venting my frustration.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Buick35 said:

Would you believe nobody in Tampa sold road atlases or even new what I was talking about? 

Glad I'm not the only one. I wanted a new DeLorme Gazetteer for North Carolina a couple years ago. Nobody had one or knew what it was.

"Just use your GPS" Well, guess what, SFB? A GPS will not let you plan a route thru backroads, it is continually trying to put you on the nearest Interstate. And that's not my idea of pleasurable travel.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

GPS does not tell you where you are in relation to mountains, lakes, other states and such.  I like knowing the "lay of the land", not possible with GPS.  I miss being able to open a road atlas to view the entire state or area I am travelling thru.

Google Maps on my phone shows a map and my location in relation to everything on the map. You don't have to use the turn-by-turn directions. You can just look at the map. It also shows you the "lay of the land" and even satellite photos in addition to map drawings. And yes, I can zoom in or out with just two fingers.

Screenshot_20220413-110205.png

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My GPS has the options Matt described and let’s me change the distance on the screen to show a closeup or as large as the whole USA. It shows lakes, rivers and mountains. It has a terrain option also. Maybe reading the instructions       ( which my wife says I never do) has helped me like Matt, use it more effectively. 

• Like 1

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to New technology - GPS vs Printed Maps

Stop at a truck stop like Loves or Pilots. I see Road Atlas's  in there all the time.

I use WAZE and while it is nice for getting around quickly and fun to try to beat the time it says I will arrive,

I still like my road maps. I get a new Texas map every year from the Dept of Transportation office around the corner from me.

I call it my Flat GPS.

Edited by Bill Stoneberg (see edit history)
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Bill Stoneberg said:

I use WAZE and while it is nice for getting around quickly and fun to try to beat the time it says I will arrive

Love it. If you're like me, you see "eta" and you think "Challenge On!!"

I find it kind of hard to beat the WAZE eta, especially on longer trips. WAZE does not take into account gas stops or any other kind of stops. While I have often beaten the eta, it's only when I'm driving alone, and my gas/potty stops are limited to 5 minutes.

It's extremely easy to beat Google Maps eta. Hardly any challenge there.

• Like 3

To my phone GPS's credit, it navigated me thru some back roads on a recent trip to Richmond and kept me off US360 congestion and the toll roads. It also found the destination address, which my ancient (but regularly updated) Garmin did not recognize when trying to load it.

There's just something about knowing how to read a map and use it to take you on a scenic and interesting route you've selected yourself.

And I am still amazed at people who, even equipped with GPS or a good map, have no idea how road signage works and will careen across four lanes of traffic to make an exit that, had they known how signage works, was clearly shown as a right or left exit two to five miles earlier.

• Like 2

Many of us use the GPS navigator in our modern cars to go from point A to point B via the fastest route.  But for those of us touring in our vintage vehicles using a portable GPS, routes chosen by the device are seldom the ones desired.  Yes, you can select ‘use secondary roads only’ on most models, however, long trips worth of preferred roads can be difficult if not impossible to program on the unit itself and can be annoying, frustrating and distracting doing so while in the vehicle.   

Here is a method I found to precisely pre-select a ‘vintage vehicle friendly’ route, then load to your GPS to have it direct you, turn-by-turn, to your destination.  It is simpler than it first appears.  I use it alot.

Now you can be assured of traveling on the roads you want without navigation confusion enroute while having the benefits of the GPS itself, with traffic/weather alerts, gas stations and restaurants.  It also virtually eliminates the ‘discussions’ between the driver and map interpreter …

Here is the link:  https://youtu.be/VMv0yK7XCrY 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I'm travelling to a new location for the first time, or in an unfamiliar area I like to look at my map or road atlas to see the general route. Then I'll know the cities, towns, or geographic features in the area. We have been using the GPS on my Wife's phone for years. Our newest car has built in Nav, and I've got a Garmin that I can switch around my older cars. My Wife likes to visit antique stores, art and craft stores and I like looking for used bookstores, Nav comes in very handy for finding your way around a town or city. I have been led a couple of times to dead ends, so if it recommends a dirt road, I'll try another route. At night or In bad weather I always choose the  the main highways. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

Google Maps on my phone shows a map and my location in relation to everything on the map. You don't have to use the turn-by-turn directions. You can just look at the map. It also shows you the "lay of the land" and even satellite photos in addition to map drawings. And yes, I can zoom in or out with just two fingers.

Screenshot_20220413-110205.png

I got just one finger for this new fangled crap.

• Haha 1

I never use GPS and hardly ever use maps. My wife and I were heading back from the northern part of Nevada with a loaded truck and trailer.  She was nice and plugged our Southern address in to her phone. It took us on the California side up through Lake Mammoth ( 8,000+ ft ) down through Death Valley 2,500 ft down then back up 2,500 ft. Nice views but the grades were just a killer.

4 hours ago, rocketraider said:

And I am still amazed at people who, even equipped with GPS or a good map, have no idea how road signage works and will careen across four lanes of traffic to make an exit that, had they known how signage works, was clearly shown as a right or left exit two to five miles earlier.

I think a lot of that has to do with the trend of all the GPS route guidance apps/devices to use exit numbers instead of using the actual name of the exit.

Telling me 'Use exit 46' is almost useless to me.

Overhead signage does not list exist numbers, just name and distance and often a single offramp will have multiple exits.

So you get exit 46, 47 on the same ramp or exit 45a and 45b on the same exit.

7 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

From our experience the phone intermittently loses cell service and stops working.  The GPS does not have that problem, or does the map.

Google Maps lets you download the map and route in case you lose cell coverage.

12 minutes ago, zepher said:

Overhead signage does not list exist numbers, just name and distance and often a single offramp will have multiple exits

When I use turn-by-turn, it typically is very good about saying "keep left at fork" or whatever if there are multiple exit choices. And my Google Maps says the exit name in addition to the number.

• Like 1

Have you noticed that, with large and detailed maps,

one learns more about geography and develops a good

sense of direction?

My uncle is an electronics enthusiast and an "early adopter"

of electronic technology.  When it was time to drive me back

to the airport, he wanted to use the G.P.S. in his new car.

It took him 20 minutes to program the destination:

What was the airport classified as?  Not an attraction, not a

park, not a motel.  He couldn't merely call it up by name.  So

he went into the house and got the physical address to type in.

As we were en route, we found that the physical address of

this big complex was taking us to the Administration Building--

not to the drop-off at the terminal!

Use electronics if you wish, but don't let them replace your own intelligence!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

All of my GPS units, including Google Maps on my phone, have a "avoid highways/interstates/toll roads" option that often results in a scenic drive off the beaten path.

My "I" phone must not have that or any GPS. Every time I ask it for driving directions too ++++++ that goofy lady takes us out into the boondocks. Did it too me again yesterday. I think Google is the best. Even outperforms Lincoln's GPS.

Edited by Fossil (see edit history)

1 hour ago, joe_padavano said:

When I use turn-by-turn, it typically is very good about saying "keep left at fork" or whatever if there are multiple exit choices. And my Google Maps says the exit name in addition to the number.

Does help all that much because the device usually says it right as you're on top of the exit.

I want to know miles ahead so I can get over into whatever lane I need to be in.

5 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

I can still use a road map or atlas, never owned a car with GPS, no cellphone either. I've always wondered how some people were borne understand cellphones I've never seen anyone with an instruction manual. 

Nobody actually understands them. It's just learn by doing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To each their own. I am not going to have some synthesized voice squawking in my ear all the time on a road trip. I'll stick with paper maps. Yes, I make a wrong turn now and then.

As others mentioned, most if not all US states publish a free paper map. In my opinion they are usually far better than a Delorme or RandMcNallly(ugh) atlas, although I admit the atlas might be handy crossing from one state to another if the route weren't cast in stone ahead of time. As mentioned earlier in the thread, state maps are usually found at welcome stations and rest areas along the Interstate, or you can order them. If you aren't traveling on interstates, you probably wont have official state maps unless you got them ahead of time. These are official state maps. AAA also has good maps.

AEixxSD.jpg

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

I haven't really used a GPS mapping system yet. So I don't know much about those. I do often use google maps to find my way to places I have never been to. And, I find I use google maps a lot when looking at places I have some historic or family interest in. I have seen several other mapping sites, including excerpts from GPS mapping services.

My main complaint about them, is that they do not very well show many important landmarks, geopolitical lines, or actual direction! I am moving around a map trying to find something I know, and if I miss it by just a bit, it disappears way off somewhere as I wander around the map trying to figure out what I am looking at. They barely show state lines with a very fine nearly no contrast line that I can barely see once I find a landmark telling me where to look! If I am looking for something in more Eastern states (where the states are smaller!), I can sometimes cross three state lines and not know it until I spot a major city that I KNOW what state it is in!

What makes that even worse, is that many internet type maps do not automatically sit North and South! And nothing showing says where North is! In recent years, computer based maps simply spin around stopping at random directions. 

At least with an old fashion paper map? I know up from down.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, zepher said:

Does help all that much because the device usually says it right as you're on top of the exit.

I want to know miles ahead so I can get over into whatever lane I need to be in.

A number of the navigation apps I use and, for that matter, the navigation built into my newest car have lane guidance indicators that tell you some distance ahead what lane you will want to be in.

1 hour ago, Bloo said:

To each their own. I am not going to have some synthesized voice squawking in my ear all the time on a road trip. . .

The very first thing I figure out how to do when using a navigation system is to turn off the voice.

I use the moving map display with turn indications, etc. as a guide to glance at when I want to. I may follow the advice or not based on my own judgement. I certainly don’t want it squawking at me about what it wants me to do. Like the Victorians were reputed to say about children: Navigation systems should be seen but not heard.

• Like 1

The reality is that you can’t be driving and look at one of those big fold-out maps at the same time, or even a road atlas. While the road atlases were good for long-distance travel, they have never had close-in local details. Getting an iPad changed navigating for my wife and me.  While one of us drives, the other can navigate, find fuel stops, restaurants, and hotels. For many years, we used a book called “Next Exit” to find those stops off the Interstates, but times have changed. Our current practice is to use Google maps or Apple maps before we leave the house to have a good idea of where we’re going and the route, a good idea even with paper maps.  We like it that we can drive long distances, decide how much farther we want to drive, then find a hotel and book a room while still en route. As always, navigating close in can be challenging: “Turn left in 500 ft, then go right, left at the next stop sign.”. But, our iPhones and iPads do get us there much better than a road atlas or old paper map. 

• Like 3

Not what you want but when we were traveling, pre world shutting down, my wife had map software on her iPad that was all on the device and she would use it to scope out different routes and place while I use the GPS as our primary guidance. She would make suggestions and we would sometimes take the new route and the GPS would eventually figure out what we were doing. Sometimes we would add a new town to the GPS if we were changing where we were going. Can't remember the name of the package and she has updated her iPad since then and it doesn't seem to be on her iPad anymore. Worked well for us, much more manageable than paper maps and it would place us on the map so she always knew where we were. Since all the maps for the US were on the iPad we didn't have to worry about having cell service.

2 minutes ago, Gary_Ash said:

For many years, we used a book called “Next Exit” to find those stops off the Interstates, but times have changed. 

We use to have a Next Exit, now we use the app iExit to get similar info.