Correct pronunciation of "Jaguar"

JonW

OK, I need you fine people to settle a dispute between my wife and I. First off, we live in the Ozarks, so keep that in mind. She just bought a 1991 Jaguar XJS convertible. Both she and her mechanic pronounce the name as Jag-wire. I say it's Jag-wahr. What is the correct pronunciation?

• Like 2

The actual Jaguar animal, which the car is named after, lives in Central and South American, where variations of Spanish are the predominate spoken language. In Spanish, the "J" is pronounced like an American "H," so if one were to rely on the name's origin for a pronunciation guide, I wonder if it could be pronounced as "Hog-war?" Do any of our Hispanic members have any input on that? 

(I'm from Ohio, USA, and I've always said, "Jag-war," and was amazed the first time I visited England and heard a Brit car enthusiast speak of his "JAG-yoo-ar.") 

😃

Edited by lump (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have listened to factory recordings to make sure I had it right. "Jag U R" is how the factory says it.

I am pretty fussy about stuff like pronunciation and spelling. 73 years living with Bernard Daily has made me acutely aware of both. I also own a Buick called a Riviera. There is no record of them building a Riv, kind of like Jag.

Oh, that's Bernard pronounced like standard.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have full confidence that our resident punctuation and overall grammar critic John_S_in_Penn will come on board here and offer the correct pronunciation...🙂

Edited by Peter J.Heizmann (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, JonW said:

OK, I need you fine people to settle a dispute between my wife and I.

Doesn't matter what the right answer is, either accept that she is correct or prepare the couch/sofa/chesterfield for the night. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Dosmo said:

I’ve heard a British pronunciation that sounds like Jag-ewer.  Not saying that’s correct, but it’s slightly different from the ones described thus far.

My Brit father (who grew up in Southport) pronounced it JAG-you-er.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

I have a couple of Brit expat friends who, despite having lived in the States for 35 and 50 years respectively, have never lost their British pronunciations. They call them "JAG-ewar". The younger one occasionally calls his XJS "bloody piece of shite".😳

Interesting. I have NEVER heard a Brit pronounce it that way. Always the middle syllable is a "U" or "you". Maybe they have differences over there, too.

Just now, Bloo said:

Everyone from UK I have ever known pronounced the "U" as a separate syllable, while Americans typically do not pronounce the "U" separately.

Ever been to Scotland?  Watch the old movie "Whisky Galore" for a sample (dialect, not Whisky).  It's a bit different than what you get watching Braveheart!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For Bernie. A very good longtime friend of one of my longtime best friends, a fellow I have enjoyed knowing for over fifty years now, was born in Paris, France. One needs to roll one's "Rs" like a Scotsman to pronounce his first name "properly". The best I can type it is something like "Behr-R-R-NahR-R-Rd". A brilliant man that has lived a fascinating life all around the world! World class engineer, fine art collector, antique automobile hobbyist (has taken his model T all over Europe and the middle East!), but calls the San Francisco Bay Area home. One of so many incredible people this hobby has allowed me to know.

The "J" car? I was brought up saying "Jag-wahr", however eventually switched to "Jag-U-R". We used to have a 1984 XJ-6. Loved driving it. Fixing it? Not so much. But I would consider another if the deal was right.

As for the other "W" car mentioned? "Willis".