My car got damaged in my driveway

junkyardjeff

I have a gravel driveway next to my neighbors driveway so his new girlfriend ran off his and sideswiped my 65 custom 500,its not too bad and could be worse nut she has no insurance and I only have liability.  The one estimate I got is probably more then the car is worth and would never see that much money from her.  Rear door as a crease and is bent at the handle and is repairable but going to get a couple more estimates and go from there.

20210809_181914.jpg

20210809_181935.jpg

Did it actually dent it,  or just the marks?  (sorry didn't see the comment on the dent and crease,  but paintless dent might be the way to go there depending on how much it's creased?) The marks,  you may be able to clean them off with lacquer thinner.  As any kind of polishing cleaner will shine it up and then it won't match the rest.  Try a small spot first to see if it works. You can also try less caustic cleaners first.  I start with Charcoal lighter fluid,  move to alcohol and then to Lacquer thinner last.  

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)

Sorry to see that your car got hit.

Being as the person that hit you is in a relationship with your neighbor you may have to be careful with the action you take should you decide to go after her for compensation.

Sorry for your car's damage, and for the additional problem caused by the inconsiderate uninsured girlfriend of the neighbor.

(Hopefully she is considerate enough to take her other precautions - we don't need more like that around !).

Your vintage car insurance (assuming you have J. C. Taylor, Hagerty, etc) likely includes Uninsured Motorist coverage, and depending on your Agreed Value ploicy limits, would compensate for your actual repair costs. It is then up to the insurer to go after the one who caused the damage.

My thought is for you to let them handle the issue, and get it done right.

We are aware that some folks buy an insurance policy in order to obtain the license plate, and then cancel the insurance - a sad commentary - which is why we keep Uninsured Motorist coverage on modern, as well as vintage and collectable vehicles.

• Like 2

In my state, the insurance company would pay up to the actual cash value of the vehicle.

Most insurance companies would consider a 65 Ford to be of very little value.

It is hard to fight them on the value, BUT, Hagerty values it at about $3300.

In Ma. when you title a car, the registry go's by the book value to set the value to tax you at, so you could use this point to set the value. 

Not much more than that that you can do, except sue her which will cost more than the damage.😮

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)

2 minutes ago, George Smolinski said:

If you mean that the way I took it, It's GREAT! 🤣

Hi George, and yes, intended .

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Unless you have uninsured motorist coverage,you won't get a penny.My experience with incidents like this,and I've had plenty(11 accidents with people without insurance,none being my fault),all you'll get is a headache.None will offer you any compensation and if you try to sue them,even if you win the case,you still won't get anything.People like this are irresponsible in life in general and I don't know how they get out of every jam they get into.I couldn't.

You will be inconvenienced terribly,being without your vehicle,arranging to have it fixed,financial concerns,phone calls,and your time.It sucks big time.The guilty will go buy another $200 POS tomorrow and continue on as nothing had happened and you'll be holding the bag.

Been there,done that,and got a drawer full of T-shirts.

• Like 1

Uninsured motorist coverage is a funny thing. Califunny law requires it on all basic motorist insurance policies. However, Califunny doesn't enforce that law at all. My mother, when my brother was watching over her business affairs (he has since died) wasn't checking on that. When an illegal alien, in a stolen car blew through a neighborhood stop sign at about 45 mph on a dark night and totaled her very nice old Oldsmobile? Mom got nothing because the insurance agent neglected to include the required coverage. The court declared the illegal alien had to pay the damages, but we know how that worked out. She didn't even get any jail time for the stolen car!

On the other hand, our son's Firebird was hit by some out of state vacationers in a borrowed van that the out of state insurance did not cover the non-owner. It was snowing and quite icy. Our son had stopped to help someone stuck in the snow, and was legally parked when the vacationers lost control and slammed into his Firebird. Our son's uninsured motorist coverage covered his car for its full value without a complaint. His car did not have comp or collision coverage because it was a bit older, and only in fair condition (bur a great runner!), so that didn't pay for it. Only the uninsured motorist coverage.

If the damage happened on private property that may be an additional complication. Talk with your insurance Co asap. Keep us advised, and call one of the specialty insurance companies right away.  It's too late for this incident but think ahead and be prepared in case a tree falls on your garage or the same person comes back for another visit.

Insurance is funny sometimes. About 1985 a boat came unhitched from a van that was towing it southbound on Interstate 405 in Los Angeles. The boat and trailer sailed over the center divider and smashed into my Datsun pickup. My insurance company totaled it. A bit later I got checks in the mail from both insurance companies for the book value of the truck. 35, or so, years later and never a peep from either of them. I made a bundle on that truck.

Edited by CarlLaFong (see edit history)

7 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

you may be able to clean them off with lacquer thinner.

Try the lacquer thinner first on a spot like in the trunk. Lacquer thinner will remove some types paint so be careful.

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

5 minutes ago, Joe in Canada said:

Try the lacquer thinner first on a spot like in the trunk. Lacquer thinner will remove some types paint so be careful.

That's why I suggested the other chemicals first in steps.  First two shouldn't affect the paint at all,  though it will remove dead oxidization of the paint so you may get some coloration to the rag. A guy painted his house (with a sprayer) next to his oxidized original finish 65 Chrysler.  Brought it to me to make it look better.  You couldn't really see the paint,  but it covered the car.  I cleaned the whole thing with lacquer thinnner,  then buffed it out.  Came out amazingly good when I was done. Then he left it outside for the next 5 years and it was back to looking just about the same as when I did it.  Shame as I would have liked to buy the car,  but he was alwauys about 2000 nore than it was worth.  By the time he dropped the price each time,  the condition had dropped so it was always 2000 over valued. 

This car just had liability so no insurance help,the door looks better in the pics but has a couple creases and could be fixed but a local old junkyard has about 5 so I am going to look for another door and since it always had a big dent in the bottom of the front fender will see if I can find a good one and just replace it.  The estimate I got was 3400 and I know I would never get it from her so I am thinking give me around 600 and be done.

@junkyardjeff

The following states require uninsured motorist coverage, so even though you have liability only, if you insure in one of the below states your insurance company will pay even though you run liability only. Oddly enough, this list is incomplete as Indiana requires it too, or at least used to. You should verify your states laws and your liability policy because most people do not realize they have this coverage. I had a 65 falcon get hit in a parking lot many years ago and caused 5k damage on a 2k car.  I had liability only but the person that hit me had no insurance, so my company spent 5k on my 2k car. They said on Uninsured motorist they have to fix it if possible rather than total it out. 

Connecticut, District of Columbia, Illinois, Kansas, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oregon, South Carolina, South Dakota, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.

Keeping in mind that 50 different states have different insurance laws, "Uninsured Motorist Coverage is a Bodily Injury  coverage protecting you from uninsured motorists who injure you,   It is NOT a property damage liability coverge.    (In states that I have practiced in.)

• Like 3

Jeff, sorry to read this, you are the victim and will now have to go through a lot of aggravation just to get your car back to the way it was and still should be. Your neighbor is responsible to get his "friend" to get some possibly action going , but this may also tell you how good of a neighbor he is. 🙄 Just keep the old adage in mind "what goes around comes around". Life for all of us right now is a lot to handle and cope with you do not need more on your plate to deal with.

Edited by Walt G
spelling correction (see edit history)

The neighbor offered his almost new lawnmower as partial help and I have a feeling that will be all I get out of it,now if this was his old girlfriend it would be different since she seemed to be responsible. I am glad most of the damage is not very noticable and after the scuff is removed only the damage on the front fender will be very noticable.  I bought the 65 Mercury to replace it and was planning on selling it eventually,it needed more body work then I wanted to do and now there is more so if I can find a 2 door that needs a engine then it might get used for parts.

As we all know, sometimes we need to take the bad with the good.

In this case in an effort to keep peace in the neighborhood one may be smart to simply write it off.

If you take any kind of payment you best do the repairs. Lest your neighbors will look at as a windfall in your favor.

If this car was in show condition it would be a different story. In your pics it looks to be of driver quality at best.

Get out the rubbing compound, maybe ask her (or him) to help you rub it out.

Its a tough call, but my opinion. remember you still will be living next door.

• Like 1

Uninsured motorist coverage usually only covers bodily injury and not physical damage.  In some states it does cover both.   I never understand why people like to tell everyone how to handle a loss when they have no idea what state they live now or how that states insurance laws apply to what we policy the person has.  I do this for a living and often can’t keep it straight. 🙃

If your insurance pays for the loss, they will want it fixed.  The may subrogate the amount paid to you against the responsible party.

The idea of buffing it out sounds good to me.  I recently had my wife;s car detailed and they buffed out two places I thought would

require paint.  Good Luck.  Remember a claim against your Ins. will have a deductible.

You need to watch when dealing with a uninsured motorists they don't pay your insurance company pays under the uninsured motorists cause what now you have a claim your rates go upon all your autos and possibly your home. Insurance Companies don't have time to take the uninsured to court and still get nothing easier to just raise your rates. 

• Like 1

I know my agent as I’ve been with them for years. I think it’s important to know the people who you pay a good amount of money too over and over. Call your agent and talk with him. Some states require uninsured coverage no matter what. Your agent can give you the best information regarding your individual specific case and tell you how your policy relates. Any other advice is worth nothing an is basically our bull$##t. Call your agent you’ve got nothing to loose, go with his advice. 

• Like 1

On 8/12/2021 at 10:46 AM, junkyardjeff said:

I have a gravel driveway next to my neighbors driveway so his new girlfriend ran off his and sideswiped my 65 custom 500,its not too bad and could be worse nut she has no insurance and I only have liability. 

Just wondering, do you live in a state that REQUIRES drivers to have car insurance by law?? If so, driving without insurance would be against the law wouldn't it? You might want to check the law and see if it provides for restitution on her part for the damage she did to your vehicle. Given the number of days that have elapsed since she hit your car you may have a problem with reporting the accident at this time. How could you even prove she hit it at this point?

BTW, what happens if she hits your car again in the future? Are you willing to eat that loss as well? If her actions (ie hitting your car) have no consequences this time and she gets away scott free why should she be careful in the future?

If the shoe was on the other foot what would your neighbor do or say if you hit his car and damaged it,  you had no insurance and refused to pay the cost of repairs?  I'm betting he would not be willing to just forget about it and pay the cost for his repairs. So, why should you?

On 8/17/2021 at 2:51 PM, 39BuickEight said:

Uninsured motorist coverage usually only covers bodily injury and not physical damage.  In some states it does cover both.

Yep, it does cover property damage here in Virginia. I repaired several vehicles for customers under this provision. That was 20+ years ago. Amazing how different insurance rules are between states. 😲

A family member had 2 losses within about 8 months, both more or less their fault. Then...they were rear ended at a stop sign by someone uninsured. Sure, against the law: blood out of a turnip. Very minor damage but they are very particular so they filed a claim with their carrier. The insurer tried subrogating but what did I say about that darned turnip? The insurance company then decided my relative was a bad risk, what with 3 claims in 12 months, and she was canceled. 

Things like this are one of those cases where we are reminded, life isn't fair, and sometimes there just isn't a perfect solution.

• Like 2

Be glad she didn't get any farther than the car in your driveway. My neighbors uncle decided he could teach his niece (who had no license or learners permit)  how to drive and she put his Cadillac Escalade through my living room wall. 

As far as insurance goes you would think it would be an easy claim to resolve, as uncle had full insurance on his Caddy and he had a commercial license, but my house and his Esurance were both underwritten by Allstate and the company decided to run the claim through my homeowners policy which turned a week long home repair into a 5 month ordeal.