Who wants to live to see their car turn 100?

Buick35

My oldest car turns 107 in March, my newest collector car turns 100 in fourteen years. I’ll be 68 when it turns 100. Sure gonna miss all you guys.......😎

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

13 years to get the 1934 Fords to 100, I could make it.   I often think we should have kept our 1915.  I would already be there.  (Polishing brass might have killed me if 2 wheel brakes didn't.)

The beast is 83 I’m 75. 17 more years is not likely for me. But the 38 should make it. 
Hopefully I’ll go like my grandfather who went quickly and not like my grand mother who was riding with him yelling and screaming!  
dave s 

It took 49 years of ownership, but my '21 Chevy pickup made it to the century mark this year.

My wife doesn't appreciate it when I remind her that she'll be 3/4 of a century old in April.

Edited by J.H.Boland (see edit history)

14 hours ago, J.H.Boland said:

It took 49 years of ownership, but my '21 Chevy pickup made it to the century mark this year.

My wife doesn't appreciate it when I remind her that she'll be 3/4 of a century old in April.

Tell her she is 25 with three times the experience! 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, nickelroadster said:

I hope my cars will still be here when I turn 100.

Amen, Brother...you beat me to it.

Now...given the longevity of many people on this forum, what is the cause and effect relationship?

Are they living longer because they are actively engaged in a hobby, or are they attracted to a hobby that attracts older people?

Either way, I'm up for getting my fourth porthole.

(Sounds creepily anatomical,  but it's a nod to the four porthole Buick Century...designating that model's ability to break 100)

Now and then I remind the guys in the shop that they are working on cars some of which are over 100 years old.  Working on this stuff every day you tend to forget how old some of them are.  Gives you a different perspective when you think about a 100 year old car in context.  Oldest we have in the shop right now is 105. What was the world like in 1916? Our younger employees are often amazed at the technology that was available 100 + years ago.

Right now I have two classics, a 1957 (64 years old) and a 1960 (61 years old).  I would need to live to 83 to see the first one hit 100.  That probably won't happen, not with my genetics.  I plan on selling the 57 once finished and finding a good Ford Model A to cut my teeth in the pre-WWII world.  I should actually see that one hit 100 unless my wife finally has enough of my car habit and snuffs me out (50/50 odds on that).  

• Haha 2

Yes-easy way to do it is just buy a 99 year old car and count the days.  Still a gamble though at our age! 

Terry

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, JRHaelig said:

Amen, Brother...you beat me to it.

Now...given the longevity of many people on this forum, what is the cause and effect relationship?

Are they living longer because they are actively engaged in a hobby, or are they attracted to a hobby that attracts older people?

Either way, I'm up for getting my fourth porthole.

(Sounds creepily anatomical,  but it's a nod to the four porthole Buick Century...designating that model's ability to break 100)

I think... and some studies agree, it's that we have something to do, especially after retirement from our careers.  If you don't have a hobby of some sort people just go downhill. Restoring cars is a good one because it expands to take whatever time we will give it. 

23 hours ago, Mark Huston said:

My 1929 only has eight years left before turning 100.   When my 29 turns 100, I will turn 72.   

My '29 Dictator was built in 1928, close to my birthday as it happens - I will turn 76 then, if I make it.😀

In the meantime we have the 1926 Pontiac which will be 100 a couple of years earlier.

• Like 2