The phone rang... and then the next car adventure starts

edinmass

Thanks for the photo!  I divested myself of all social media except LinkedIn, and that's about to go as well.  I got to the point where I opened up Facebook and after 10 minutes, I was checking the JPL Near Earth Object website to see if there was any hope that an asteroid was on its way to produce an extinction-level event.  

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, AURktman said:

Thanks for the photo!  I divested myself of all social media except LinkedIn, and that's about to go as well.  I got to the point where I opened up Facebook and after 10 minutes, I was checking the JPL Near Earth Object website to see if there was any hope that an asteroid was on its way to produce an extinction-level event.  

Finally! I now know I’m not the only one who did that? Hahaha 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, md murray said:

I'll bet there's a great story behind the Murphy Beverly sedan with the paint peeling on fenders/hood- Is that an original car?

Yes.......there is.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 3/3/2021 at 10:10 PM, edinmass said:

Yes.......there is.

You know it would be pretty nice to read a 'barnfind' book one day that had nothing in it about Camaros and Mustangs. If only we had an member here who had a couple really good stories under their hat.....🤐

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

OK, how 'bout this?

Over 50 years ago, I had a story published in Antique Automobile about helping a friend fish a 1923 Packard single six out of what we had thought was a chicken coop, but which turned out to be a moonshine still.  The car was dilapidated but complete.  It hadn't run in years, but the motor was loose and had compression.  We hauled the car back to his home, where he put it in his basement garage, out of the weather - - - 

- - - where it sits today, untouched after all these years.  Wanna buy a barn find?

• Like 4

So, last time I was at Hershey, well, last time Hershey was held, I made it a point to seek out and meet Matt Harwood!  We chatted while standing next to that big blue V16 Marmon!  Matt is really a down to earth guy who took the time to talk cars with me for a few minutes.  Next time, it will be you Ed!  It will be neat to see the White in person!  I've been reading all your posts over the last few weeks, or has it been months?  Can't wait to hear about your next adventure...  All the best and be safe!  Greg from Alexandria Virginia.  (If you are ever near WDC and crossing the Woodrow Wilson Bridge and need a break, please give me a text/call and I will treat you to a meal!  Phil is invited too!  2zero2 3zero6 89one6)  

• Like 3

Ed. Now that the cruise is over and the beautiful car ( that we only got to see the hood) is cleaned up. The snow is melted or melting quickly isn’t it about time you went north and picked up a mystery car you teased us with a few months ago?  
dave s 

• Like 2

SO to get my friend in Florida enthused to continue his resurrection process of the White , I thought this page from the 1917 NY Custom body Salon program about Rubay

may be in order.

SALON1917Rubay001.jpg

• Like 6

5 hours ago, oldcarfudd said:

OK, how 'bout this?

Over 50 years ago, I had a story published in Antique Automobile about helping a friend fish a 1923 Packard single six out of what we had thought was a chicken coop, but which turned out to be a moonshine still.  The car was dilapidated but complete.  It hadn't run in years, but the motor was loose and had compression.  We hauled the car back to his home, where he put it in his basement garage, out of the weather - - - 

- - - where it sits today, untouched after all these years.  Wanna buy a barn find?

I'd rather have a '23-'28 Packard Single Six than any newer Packard, so would be interested if I were in a financial position to buy it, which I am not. Interesting story for the right person to finish!

Well.......life got busy down here. So much for the back off during the pandemic. We are back doing cars at the collection full throttle. Some great new projects to get done soon. Working with a bad right arm has really slowed down the bigger projects. My trusty side kick Phil will have to carry his weight as well as mine. We have minor surgery on a V-16 Cadillac coming up. And a major surgery on a Duesenberg. Since my new nickname is lefty, I may need an additional assistance for heavy work.......and that’s what’s on the horizon. As far as the overall car world, lots of stuff changing hands. Not the nice run of the mill stuff..........I’m talking about the big boy toys. The car world will come back full throttle in the next weeks and months. Another rumor of a fantastic car just pulled out of a garage that is making its way to the concours circuit. I have a friend miss on pulling the trigger on a possible BOS Pebble car recently. So never fear.......the car show world is ready to go now........We will be at Amelia with a statement car...........and Pebble has the best of show reunion class this year, and that should prove interesting............we will have a car on the green again..........can’t say what it is..........I will confess, it’s not my 1915 T. 

Got back on the White Saturday for just a short time. Pulled the right rear wheel bearing to service it......it was junk also. Glad I bought two new bearings and have one on hand. The bearing on the car is interesting......I will post photos tomorrow. It’s not cooperating in the removal department. Had a bunch of other fun things occur, but can’t disclose them yet. The White WILL be at the tour in April for the AACA Howley in the Hills event. Stop by, and don’t be shy to ask for a ride. I have a dozen or more people who want to drive it........and we will accommodate them. If I can get AJ to pry open his wallet and kick in, we might do a low end cookout at the house I rented for the tour. If it’s a go, I will publish the announcement here.......we should be able to handle fifty people. Hope to make it work out. Phil “with the hands like George the Animal Steel” will be with us along with AJ......aka alsancle............ thus ends the update. Back to work in the shop. Best, Ed.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 9

Also, to all my new White car and truck friends..............I’m behind on phone calls, emails, ect. Sorry, I have not  forgotten you.........just too much domestic things on top of car things keeping me strapped down. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Started the assembly on the water pump for the final time. Here it is assembled except for the pump housing. It makes it much more clear why this pump was challenging. Hope to try and install it this week. Will keep you posted. It’s very rare that I modify anything from factory specs or design. In this case, the set screws make setting up pump end play easy.......otherwise drilling and installing a tapered pin through the impeller would be nearly impossible with my equipment down south. 

0DB91AFC-6D55-4C57-B23D-658DC594AA61.jpeg

741E9A26-7BD8-4D19-B744-28B264B5C2B9.jpeg

730B626D-AC36-4CB5-8EEF-E944C65F0DB4.jpeg

74C856A8-BE55-40F8-90E8-A30D2B597B91.jpeg

• Like 7

I'm impressed with how nice those knurled gland nuts look. I don't think I've ever handled one that hadn't been buggered up by someone using a punch to turn it...further evidence that this car has never been apart.

• Like 1

I’m quite sure it was the original packing in the pump. Amazingly, it wasn’t leaking at 104 years old and with the damaged shaft. 

• Like 1

They knew how to make good quality long lasting equipment back then. It looks very heavy but I guess that should be expected as it looks like it is made out of gold. I’m sure it seems that way compared to  the cost of rebuilding a modern pump. 

Automotive Archeology - Lesson #2347

Upon taking the passenger rear wheel bearing apart for service,  unlike the driver side, there was no leaking wheel bearing grease, we determined two interesting things. Number one.......the driver side bearing which was bad was a replacement. There was no signs of it being done after the car was stored or exercised post 1928, so the bearing must have been replaced in the early to mid 20's. How can we tell? Well the passenger rear bearing is actually marked 313 WHITE CAR on the race........I have never seen anything like it ever. Also, the passenger bearing was quite bad.........for such low milage all I can figure is the car must have somehow gotten muddy water/dirt into the races crossing a stream or brook. We did find mud like grit in the bearing and grease. Sure glad we flushed the rear end several time with kerosene before we changed the rear end fluid.......that may have saved us a ton of work and money. So, now the last item on the car is finished on the original punch list. The entire car is now finished being sorted. We just need to adjust the brakes and we are ready for the AACA tour in April! Notice the bearing markings.....anyone ever see anything similar?

Look closely at seven and 4 o'clock on the single bearing.

IMG_1944.jpeg

IMG_1945.jpeg

• Like 2

16 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

I'm impressed with how nice those knurled gland nuts look. I don't think I've ever handled one that hadn't been buggered up by someone using a punch to turn it...further evidence that this car has never been apart.

Either it never leaked or someone knew better than to just pound and reef on the gland nuts in the vain hope that it would stop the drip. Usually they ruin whatever abused packing is left and wedge it so tight it grooves the shaft - which of course doesn't solve the leak or treat the wallet very well.

NEED HELP ON THIS ONE...........Off the 17 White

Here is the passenger side snubber, it's not working. Anyone know the brand? Are there parts available? Anyone ever rebuild one at their home shop? Thanks.......

IMG_1940.jpeg

IMG_1943.jpeg

IMG_1941.jpeg

IMG_1942.jpeg

Yes Ed I think they are Gabriels. I need to go through the ones that were on my 1925 Buick Master. The strap mounts are still on the rear axle. I think Hubert 25-25 did a set for his 1925 Buick. I do have the ones that were on the car but I think there are some pieces missing.

I wanted to provide some guidance regarding addingsnubbers to my 1925 Buick Standard. It has taken a while to rebuild these as they get a little abused sitting in the fender area, but with new webbing they clean up well. Hugh It’s not the bump in the road, but rather the rebound of t...
Edited by dibarlaw
Added content (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Got to the party late, your White shows up as being made in June 1917 according to the White erection records, also White made 518 cars and 9742 trucks in 1917  by 1918 this changed to 18 cars and 12150 trucks so good-by to car production.  You made a simple job complicated by removing the wheel from the axle on the car, you don't have to remove the hubcap just turn the bearing retaining bolts and pull wheel and axle out together. Goes right back in easy as an assembly, turn bolts tighten  and done.  The rear end and front end are the same as a 3/4 ton truck.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Back on the road today!

You did get to the party late.......too bad. I’m amazed at the White truck guys and their knowledge. Ultimately we needed to address the entire car and all its mechanical parts. The right rear wheel hub and axel had been hacked at by a tractor mechanic back in the 20’s. The car was parked in early 1928 and was only briefly run in 1939-1940. Then it sat again till August of 2020. We decided to pull the driver side apart since there was no damage that could be seen, and it had a axel seal leak covering the brake drum .........it comes apart in an interesting way.........it was new to me. Not complicated, and fortunately we have the shop manual and we could see clearly how to take it apart. The wheel bearing was bad on the driver side. We went through everything on that side, and then pulled apart the passenger side. That bearing was bad also. It’s all back together as of today. We got distracted by a JN Duesenberg, and two V-16 Cadillacs that needed our attention. Today we also reinstalled the broken snubber, reset the rims to the wheels, installed the water pump for the final time, made one last clutch adjustment, and replaced modern hardware with period correct stuff. After sitting for two months, she fired right up. Ran well, and we took her for a spin, made some roadside adjustments as the brakes were too tight. I can announce the car is 100 percent done as far as recommissioning and sorting go. Had a major early car collector stop by this week, offered some additional advice......which I am going to follow. The car will be on the AACA Florida tour in two weeks! We will still be making small adjustments but we believe when have crossed the bridge and now are at the sweet spot. We did a back of the envelope calculation on the fair market value of the repairs, service, and maintenance we did. Figuring a hourly rate of 125 dollars.........parts, labor, machining, outside suppliers and services, the total spent on the cat to date is.........drum roll...............72,000 dollars. That does not include the purchase price, and also, Phil and I are very experienced in pre war stuff and I seriously doubt anyone could have been more efficient with their time and resources. We have a few small items on our lunch list. We don’t plan on installing the engine pans till after the tour in the event they are in the way of any possible adjustments/issues that pop up. Took a thirty year Pierce Arrow owner for a speed run at lunch today. He was blown away with the cars speed. It’s very happy and in its sweet spot at 47-48 mph. More than that, and the platform starts talking to you. As you approach 70 things are happening faster than you want to imagine......it’s safe......but a huge handful at that speed. In the era road tests had the car going 80 mph. I’ll never see it with mine. I’m quite content to keep it under 60 at all times. I will post a few more updates in the next week or so, as well as the tour.........as it happens. Maybe do some live video. More to come........Ed.

• Like 9