The phone rang... and then the next car adventure starts

edinmass

Have a couple of HF gennys. Those and simple tools work as any. (Had more trouble with a Honda 2000 than any HF generator, only one to avoid is the 900w two stroke (much too loud) but then only need/use mine a few times a year.

UPDATE:

Almost ready for the final assembly. There will be a brief delay while I go on tour for the next week......

IMG_1649.jpeg

IMG_1650.jpeg

IMG_1656.jpeg

• Like 10

Unfortunately, I can’t post photos publicly on open social media. I will post if people allow it. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Grimy said:

How about on ANTIsocial media?

You and I will have it covered! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/17/2021 at 1:05 AM, George Cole said:

Completely and totally disagree. 

I never said the World was a perfect place - if you ask any of them a question, then you had better hope to be talking into their good ear as most are deaf or partially deaf in the one they had facing the laboratory/building explosion - operative phrase is something like "lasers are perfectly fine for leveling fields and ...., but can be a little uncontrollable when you want to blow up countries."  All of them I have met though have said that they took on challenges that most thought had no hope of success - and succeeded to an acceptable level.

1 hour ago, John_Mereness said:

By the way - I give Ed a lot of credit on the White certainly offers its challenges and he is pretty alone at this (not like even three much less even 10 others are being restored at the same time and ...). 

I’m like the Maytag repairman.......the loneliest guy in any shop............

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, padgett said:

Thought the tour was in April. Is there another tour ?

Driving around with a few friends looking in barns and sheds for one off auto show cars.........😇

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, padgett said:

Restoring one of one is really easy. Who is going to find anything rong ?

Easy? 🤔 Easy like Edward Teller designing the “super”? “I’m seeing icicles forming”...........making a Stearns Knight stop smoking.......THAT was easy!

• Haha 1

err with smokeless oil (made for 2 stroke bikes) ? Ice is just an effect of venturi flow. Easiest part of thermodynamics. Now the physics of a convergent/divergent nozzle for an afterburning gas turbine engine...

Was thinking who is going to find a fault in a one of one as long as you avoid anachronisms. ?

Didn’t need smokeless oil to fix the Stearns...........amazingly all I did was set up the engine back to factory specifications and removed all the bolt on nonsense and removed the modifications that people who were smarter than the factory engineers added. Thus, returning the car to stock configuration made it stop smoking.............not quite like trying to get some insight into quantum mechanics..............I just used common sense. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It amazes me the number of persons that think they are smarter than the engineers that designed the vehicle.

I remember being a service rep for a car company that when anyone came in with an electrical problem that did not "sound right", I always asked "DOES THE CAR HAVE ANY AFTERMARKET ANYTHING?"  Invariably it had some aftermarket radio, alarm system, ... and the list goes on.  Took off the non factory junk and surprisingly the vehicle usually worked fine with no more electrical issues.

• Like 3

Back in the 80’s and 90’s 75 percent of the no starts on cars less than five years old were alarm systems. I removed them by the hundreds.......  intermittent  no start? Remove the alarm.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, padgett said:

Best anti-theft of the '70s - on/off switch on the 12v coil wire.

I disagree, it was the little black button you pushed down by the column valance for an override..........I always installed it on the high beam switch.........that way the thief needed an extra twenty seconds to figure it out.......gotta love those old Cobra Alarms with the pager..........the stories that could be told!

• Thanks 1

The black lever was to get the key out. Since I always had an on-off switch and some wire around, cost was zero. After I added the dual quads to my Sunbird also added a black button on the dash to prime the carbs. Otherwise you could crank until the cows came home.

1 minute ago, Grimy said:

What brand of deodorant do you use....and how often?

Very little.......and only on Saturday nights.........just like the 30’s.......It’s where I live. What color is the sky in your world? 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Back in the 80’s and 90’s 75 percent of the no starts on cars less than five years old were alarm systems. I removed them by the hundreds.......  intermittent  no start? Remove the alarm.

Think that would work with a factory installed alarm system? My 2001 tow-monster Ford Expedition is one of the series notorious for wiring issues, and it has been a pain a bit too often. The factory installed alarm system used to occasionally simply shut the engine down! Drove me nuts for a couple months. I tracked and traced things, discovered a 'harmonic point' on the floor that would usually clear the problem, but still even paid almost three hundred dollars for a professional diagnostics that didn't find much. But what they did find lead me to a silly problem connection buried way up in the unreachable regions behind the dash. I was able (by literally standing on my head!!) (feat pressing against the headliner!) to squeeze my hand far enough up between everything and (with only two fingers) squeeze that errant connection. After doing so three times, it hasn't failed in about eight years. But if it ever fails again, I would want to really rip something out of it!

By the way, there are pretty much no after-market anythings except for necessary replacement of spark plugs, two coil packs, fuel pump and filter (that was loads of fun!).

2 minutes ago, padgett said:

The black lever was to get the key out. Since I always had an on-off switch and some wire around, cost was zero. After I added the dual quads to my Sunbird also added a black button on the dash to prime the carbs. Otherwise you could crank until the cows came home.

Not referring to the lock out lever.......the button used on the alarms..........come on, I can’t have finally stumped you on an electronics issue. 

Cue the Van Halen or Ozzy music!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, edinmass said:

What color is the sky in your world? 

Today it was a glorious blue after light rain overnight, and WX will stay dry and sunny for next 10 days, temps in the 60s.

• Like 1

No just never bothered with alarms besides with the Jags you had to know how to reach under the car with a long wrench in the right place to tap the fuel pumps.

And then there were all the 70s that drove around with their back up lights on.

BTW key remove lever was only with a manual transmission. (GM)

59 minutes ago, padgett said:

BTW key remove lever was only with a manual transmission. (GM)

My 87 Chevy S-10 2.0 Stick with no options has the lever...........it’s been an every day driver for 20 years. Bought it with 17k on the clock in 2001 for 1200 bucks...........nothing in it except batteries, tires, and oil changes. Did a serpentine belt tensioner and a few other small odds and ends. Won’t give it up, can’t find a similar vehicle today for anywhere near 30K. Yup, I’m cheap. Love that little truck.....28 mpg, and a top speed of 94 mph before the rev limiter kicks in..........only time I ever hit the limiter is on the way to Hershey in Ravine Pennsylvania southbound on 81 down the BIG hill...................good times..........

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’ve always found the people that say “common sense is overrated “. Are the ones that always ask for help because they can’t figure out something as simple as how to change a lightbulb! Common sense has kept my cars running for most of my life. That and keep it simple stupid! 
dave s 

• Like 1

Common sense is just that. The "common man" probably does not know all eight kinds of Edison ("E") bulb base and whether single or dual filament. OTOH common sense says "Do not make an engine hoist out of two ladders and a 2x6".

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Back from the tour in Texas last week. A great bunch of cars and people. We were in the Texas Hill Country. Quiet back roads, great collections to visit, and a few restaurants tossed in along the way. A few of the cars had challenges to proceed but all were eventually worked out.......but the trouble truck driver was very busy for the first few days. The people of Texas were very friendly, and the sight of fifteen Duesenbergs driving down the road brought a lot of smiles to many people. Photo is my typical view through the windshield I usually post to protect people’s privacy. Our total mileage was 850 for four days, plus this Sunday’s drive put us at just under 1000 miles in six days. Our car ran great.....all I did was check the oil and coolant. We did burn a lot of gas........as one would expect. We were averaging about 7mpg.

6D70B3F8-9399-4A49-81E7-D9C6270DF444.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I understand Ed not posting any pictures, but fifteen Duesenbergs traveling together for a thousand miles in Texas, stopping for gas, parked at restaurants for meals and hotels overnight, and no one saw them or has posted any pictures of them on the internet?  Were they camouflaged to look like pickup trucks towing cattle trailers?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think you hit the nail on the head George, Now if it were 15 brand new F350 duallies cruising together they might have got a notice. To the locals it just looked like a bunch of old cars driving around! LOL. 

• Like 2

The cars were posted on Facebook by some local hot rod guys, and I have never been on instagram. Remember, I'm just the help......and I follow orders..........

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, edinmass said:

The cars were posted on Facebook by some local hot rod guys, and I have never been on instagram. Remember, I'm just the help......and I follow orders..........

The help is someone delivering inter office mail. I’d say you’re more like a board member! 
Ha! 

• Like 1