Have you ever been contacted about an old car you once owned?

keiser31

I know a lot of folks, including myself have put out feelers on various car websites to locate a "previously family owned" or "personally owned" car. Has anyone on this forum been contacted by someone who has purchased your old car? I have owned and sold a ton of old cars, but have never been contacted about any of them. Just curious.

• Like 1

No, but I'd like to know were 5-6 that I've sold over the years are. Funny how I never asked about the past history on any car I bought with the exception of Race Cars. I think it is interesting to read about the ownership trail of Classic and Brass era cars. BobĀ 

Just now, padgett said:

Yes, couple of years ago was comtacted by someone restoring my FI Split-Window tanker that I used to race.

Ā 

At the time I guess the sale price was "market valve", all of my sales were, just looks odd looking back today. BobĀ 

In 1989, IĀ  bought my wife a nice 1981 Cadillac Seville.Ā  It was the slant back 8-6-4.Ā  Anyway in 1995 I traded it in for a 1991 Lincoln Continental at

a Lincoln Dealership.Ā  A few years later I had a call from the Ft. Lauderdale Police, who said they had my car.Ā  When they told me

which car, I clarified it's history.Ā  Apparently the dealershio had sent the car to auction an it ended.up at a Buy Here Pay Here car lot.Ā  Nobody ever made enough payments to get the title.Ā  Ā Never heard anymore abot it.

Ā 

In 2004 we sold our beloved 1977 GMC Eleganza motorhome to a south Florida car dealer for $15,000.00

11 years later a guy called to inquire about it.Ā  He was considering buying it for $21,000.00.Ā  He asked me if

i thought it was worth it?Ā  Ā The dealer told him he had never used it since he bought it.Ā  Ā My reply was, yes it

was a fine motor 11 years ago, but GMC's ,like other vehicles have a lot of rubber parts kike tires, air bags

and fuel lines that are on a regular replacement schedule,Ā  Have those items been raplaced?Ā  They will need

to be.Ā  Additonally, it was a garage kept unist while I owned it and if it's been siting outside for 11 years, IĀ 

would not buy ii.Ā  I also told him of all the major things we had done to the coach.Ā  Ā Ā 

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)
  • Like 1

For whatever it is worth, I have had new owners of a few cars I had previously sold contact me. I don't know that I would count the one purchased by a long-time good friend as they knew the car and when it became available again fifteen years later happily grabbed it.

Mostly, I wind up selling cars that I don't want to sell, to cover family "needs". Generally, if I have to give up the car I wanted to have and wanted to keep? I prefer it go a long way away and never hear of it again. Unfortunately, a few too many seem to reach me one way or another, and I find I am quite displeased with the car's disposition. One of the nicest "preservation" quality cars I have ever seen wound up with a ridiculous $50,000 restoration that probably increased the car's salable value by less than five grand, and destroyed the most beautiful original mohair interior I have ever seen! Another fine (won't say what kind of car as I don't want to tip off my actual feelings to whomever may have it now) car was repainted an awful color and tricked up into something of a "clown car" (yuck).

Another was a very rare and nearly unique model T Ford (how often is a statement like THAT even almost true, yet here it was) that had suffered from a bad '50s restoration using mostly later T parts that were totally wrong for its '10s year. The whole thing made the car's "original" status very questionable, a fact I was willing to live with in order to have such a rare model T. However, I spent a considerable amount of money, and lots of time replacing all the clearly wrong piecesĀ with correct year parts. I put a great deal of effort into making the car as right as I could! I re-restored the car to something less than a show car, but beautiful and ready to tour with and be proud of it. A few years later, I needed to sell it,Ā  and let it go for a bit less than I should have to someone claiming he wanted to keep it close to "as from factory" like I had restored it to. Within two months, he loaded the poor thing up with later accessories and brass bling that didn't belong. Even worse, a few years later, he passed away (he was mostly a very good HCCA person and very well liked). But some multi-faced back-stabbing opportunist browbeat the widow into selling the car cheap by telling her it was a total fake (it wasn't). About a week later he phones me "just wanting to know the truth about the car". So I told him. What was right, what was wrong, the bad '50s restoration, the changes the interim owner made that I personally didn't like, and numerous minor details and differences that indicated the car was one of very few originally like it.Ā  And I repeated what I always had said about the car. There were good reasons to believe that it was a real original, but that the bad '50s restoration had made that always a matter of being questionable. About a month later, he posted a quarter page ad in Hemming's with pictures and glowing statements that the car is the certified "real thing", a boast that it is the one and only one not a fake, and claims of irreplaceable value yadda yadda yadda. Oh, and he said that he had spoken with the car's previous owner that had verified ALL of that! ByĀ the way, he was asking nearly three times what I had sold the car for only a few years before.

I do hope the car got a decent home eventually. And I wish I could still have it (how it was back when I had it).

Ā 

I learned and accepted a long time ago, that when I let something go, to let it go. No longer is it mine. No longer do I have any say in what becomes of it. I accept that. But it doesn't mean I have to like it. I worked hard to have some really nice , and maybe special, cars that I wanted. It does hurt to know that once beyond my control, too many of them were treated so badly.

• Like 3

Yes, and this story may sound made up but it is 100% true. Ā About 15 years ago Ā I sold my 1937 Dodge 1/2 pickup through an ad in our local farming related newspaper based in Lancaster county PA. Ā The ad got me manyĀ responses and lookers. Ā One very interested person was an older gentleman from about 35Ā miles away who was very anxious to come and see the truck. Ā He showed up at the time he said he would be there and came driving a 1966 Chrysler that looked in really good shape. Ā Turns out he was in his late 60s and a real fan of Chrysler products. Ā He also said he needed a new project to take his mind off his recent stage 4 prostate cancer diagnosis. Ā He really like the truck and agreed to buy it at my asking price so two days later he showed up at my home driving a Ā bright red 1956 Dodge dump truck with a flatbed trailer behind it. Ā His daughter was along to help him with the task and she seemed used to helping dad with his projects. Ā We loaded the 37 Dodge on the flatbed and off it went to its new home. Ā Not sure if I would ever see or hear about it again.
Ā 

About 5Ā years ago I got a call from the daughter. Ā Her dad had done well for a long time but eventually the cancer diagnosis won and he had passed away. Ā She had found the newspaper ad I had placed for the truck in her dadā€™s wallet and wanted me to know the pickup was coming up for sale along with her dadā€™s other MoPars. Ā She told me that pickup had turned into his favorite old vehicle. Ā He made lots of improvements to its cosmetics and a few mechanical repairs as required. Ā He took the truck to church most Sundays and used it to run errands for small things he needed to keep his farmette operating. Ā It was so special to him sheĀ included in his funeral procession. Ā The daughter wanted me to know this information and to let me know I could possibly buy it back. Ā I thanked her for the information and really appreciated hearing how much he enjoyed it, but I also had to tell her I was now paralyzed from a motorcycle accident and repurchasing the truck was not an option. Ā The daughter sent me a copy of the sale bill that featured the truck and then after the public sale was held she called to tell me about the truckā€™s new owner and how excited he was to have this truck. Ā It was great to hear that another person found this truck to be something they always wanted to have. Ā 1937 Dodge pickups donā€™t come up for sale very often so finding one can take a long time.

Ā 

So today as far as I know another person is getting enjoyment from this truck as I had and the gentleman that purchased it from me. Ā That is the beauty of the hobby, one vehicle can continue to provide many good memories for all its owners.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4

Yes keiser, I have.

About two years ago I was contacted by a guy who was buying a vintage Corvette that I'd sold 20 years earlier. Nice friendly chat with him, just wanted to know the car's history. I was second owner so he got all the info he wanted. I was glad to help.

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

Close to thirty-five years ago, I owned a nice, 1966 Oldsmobile Delta 88 four door hardtop.Ā  I sold in 1988 at a local collector car auction as I had just bought my first house.Ā  I had a buyer of it call me about three years later asking what I knew of its history.Ā  It was sold to him by a dealer that specialized in vintage cars who bought it from me at the action.Ā  He found an old registration in the glove compartment with my name on it, and phoned me.Ā  After I told him what I knew of it, I politely asked him what he had paid for it, and turns out, he purchased it for only $200 more than for what I sold it at the auction for!!

Ā 

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I bought a Bay State car out of a greenhouse in Fitchburg Mass in the late 1980ā€™s which I sold to someone in Wisconsin around 1994 or so. Just a little over a year ago, the son of a friend in the T club I was in at the time called me about the car. Turns out that the guy I sold it to had passed away after getting the car in one piece and somewhat running condition and my friends son bought it. We had a good talk and I sent him all the pictures that were taken when I bought it but I think he was hoping I had kept a memento or two as a lot of parts were missing. Since then I have been trying to help him find anything it was missing but without much luck.

Ā 

When I bought the 31 Pierce-Arrow, I had a great visit from the last owner who was vacationing one town away a few weeks after the car arrived. AtĀ some point I will get back in touch to let him know what I have been doing, but I need to finish it first. Sometimes it just works that way...

A392737C-9BF7-400C-A27C-05E7A07678E6.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

When I was a kid Dad bought this 1949 Ford inĀ 1962 as an every day driver.

641730973_1949Ford-30HabitantDr.Toronto-1962-Copy.thumb.jpg.9cafabc1dbf1780bbf613d60bc982652.jpg

Ā 

You might notice the license plate is from British Columbia so he hadn't been to the Licence Office yet when this picture was taken. As such being at that time 13Ā years old, most cars in Ontario at that age were usually full of rust (due to the salt in the winters) but this car was inĀ beautiful condition.

We moved from the BIG City a year later and Dad decided being a stick shift he wanted a car with an automatic and put the Ford up for sale while at our cottages. They were outside a Provincial Park with lot's of summer traffic and sure enough a fellow stopped and they struck a deal.Ā  Ā 

I don't know all the details but about a year later, Dad gets a call from the Provincial Police asking if he owned a 1949 Ford?

Seems theĀ guy he sold it toĀ didn't bother registering the car in his name and drove around with it still in Dad's name. The Police said they found it parked on the side of the road (4 hoursĀ back east from us) abandoned with stolen plates on it.

Guess Dad, being the trusting sole he was, took the cash, signed the ownership and gave a bill of sale trusting the guy would go to the License Office on Monday.

Ā 

The Police said that it was officially still his if he wanted it but... he would have to pay the impound fees beforeĀ getting it out...

Ā 

Dad passed on that as with a family of five and that far away (let alone the impound costs), didn't think he could afford another car.

Ā 

Too bad because it was a very nice car.

Ā 

Edited by dei (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I came home and had a message on the answering machine (this was back in the 90's) from a police sergeant in upstate New York informing me that license plates registered to me were found on a car used in some criminal activity.Ā  It took me a few minutes to figure out those numbers were on the plates for my 1928 Ford roadster and they were still in the storage cabinet in the garage.Ā  I called up the sergeantĀ  and explained that I had the real plates, which are original 1928 Oregon plates, and his criminals must have made up their own fake plates with 6 random numbers, by chance the same as mine.Ā  Also had to explain to him what "1928 Ford Rds" meant. That was the abbreviation for Roadster used on the title.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dei said:

When I was a kid Dad bought this 1949 Ford inĀ 1962 as an every day driver.

641730973_1949Ford-30HabitantDr.Toronto-1962-Copy.thumb.jpg.9cafabc1dbf1780bbf613d60bc982652.jpg

Ā 

You might notice the license plate is from British Columbia so he hadn't been to the Licence Office yet when this picture was taken. As such being at that time 13Ā years old, most cars in Ontario at that age were usually full of rust (due to the salt in the winters) but this car was inĀ beautiful condition.

We moved from the BIG City a year later and Dad decided being a stick shift he wanted a car with an automatic and put the Ford up for sale while at our cottages. They were outside a Provincial Park with lot's of summer traffic and sure enough a fellow stopped and they struck a deal.Ā  Ā 

I don't know all the details but about a year later, Dad gets a call from the Provincial Police asking if he owned a 1949 Ford?

Seems theĀ guy he sold it toĀ didn't bother registering the car in his name and drove around with it still in Dad's name. The Police said they found it parked on the side of the road (4 hoursĀ back east from us) abandoned with stolen plates on it.

Guess Dad, being the trusting sole he was, took the cash, signed the ownership and gave a bill of sale trusting the guy would go to the License Office on Monday.

Ā 

The Police said that it was officially still his if he wanted it but... he would have to pay the impound fees beforeĀ getting it out...

Ā 

Dad passed on that as with a family of five and that far away (let alone the impound costs), didn't think he could afford another car.

Ā 

Too bad because it was a very nice car.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Similar story to that of a '63 Ford Falcon wagon that I sold to a friendĀ of a friend of a friend.., some time in the '70's.

Ā 

Late night knock on the door, and it's the cops, loaded for bear. The car had been used in a pharmacy robbery, and was still registered in my name. Luckily, I had sent the transfer papers in good time to the DMV, but the purchaser hadn'tĀ bothered. When they decided I was on the level, they called in the officer whom they hadĀ stationed 2 floors below the bedroom window, in case I had jumped! Must have been a serious heist.

Ā 

• Like 1

This car recently popped up for sale on Hemmings Motor News website, a car which I owned 1998-2002. I sold it for 30K and I see asking is 45K.Ā 
Funny thing about this car....I advertised it in 2002 on AACA buy/sell. To this day I still get occasional inquiries about the car I.e. did it sell, where did it go etc.

384F6EF6-951B-4659-AED7-8C64B82EBF2D.jpeg

Edited by Jeff Perkins / Mn (see edit history)
  • Like 3

About 25 years ago I sold a 1911 REO to a gentleman in Massachusetts. About 3 years ago his son contacted me - I'm not sure how he found me but his dad had given him the car and he was curious about what I could tell him about it. He even sent a picture and it looked exactly as it had when I sold it.

Ā 

Also, about 30 years ago I advertised in Hemnmings looking for a 20HP Rolls Royce. I got a reply from a man in Michigan who sent pictures. The car had belonged to a very good friend of mine...in fact, I'd have bought it from him if I had the money at the time and I actually loaded the car on the trailer when it left. We agreed a price and I made arrangements to get a bank check (this was long before Paypal and the other fast money transfer services). I had the check in hand when he called and reneged on the sale, saying someone had offered him more money. He even called on my toll-free line so I paid for the call as well. Every time I hear the refrain how everyone in the old car world is so wonderful I think of this. What an AH. There are just as many jerks in old car collecting as anything else.

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 3

I joinedĀ  this forum in 07 and have advertised a few vehicles here.

I get calls every now and again from old ads.

Just a week or so ago I got a call about one that I sold several years ago. So happens that I had an engine manual for it.

I sent that manual off with a "use your own judgment as to its value"Ā  offer. No reply yet but it hasn't been very long.

Ā 

Several years ago I sold a Bentley that went to Germany, I got an email a year or so ago from the current owner wanting to know about it.

I have no idea where he got my name from, I sold it thru Craig's List and kept the plates and registrationĀ (which he wanted to buy).

Ā 

My other story is about a motorhome I had traded inĀ at a dealer near Seattle.

A few years later I got that call from WASP wondering if I was ever going to move it from where ever it was parked.

Of coarse I tried to get the location and told the trooper that I would have to get a du[plicate title, but he caught on and didn't give me any more information.

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 2

How about the other way around'

Ā 

In 2014 I sold my 1921 Paige Larchmont II to someone in Calif and contacted him several times to see if he needed anymore info on the car or technical advice.

I gave up after a few attempts and even had the local AACA region contact him.Ā  Between the owner before me and I we had about 30 years experience with theĀ 

car and just wanted to know how "our " car was doing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 31plymouth said:

How about the other way around'

Ā 

In 2014 I sold my 1921 Paige Larchmont II to someone in Calif and contacted him several times to see if he needed anymore info on the car or technical advice.

I gave up after a few attempts and even had the local AACA region contact him.Ā  Between the owner before me and I we had about 30 years experience with theĀ 

car and just wanted to know how "our " car was doing.

Charlie, I reached out to him as well, so he'd have a resource only 400 miles away also in CA.Ā  I spoke with him one time, offered some suggestions on an issue he was having, gave him my email and phone.Ā  Never heard from him again.Ā  Oh well...

• Like 1

On 3/15/2020 at 5:59 PM, Mark Wetherbee said:

When I bought the 31 Pierce-Arrow, I had a great visit from the last owner who was vacationing one town away a few weeks after the car arrived. AtĀ some point I will get back in touch to let him know what I have been doing, but I need to finish it first. Sometimes it just works that way...

Ā 

Mark, I'm sure Milt would love to hear of your progress on the car.

As you know, Milt is a great guy and he would be pleased to hear that his former Pierce is in such good hands.

• Like 2

In the '80's my Father bought a nice 1965 T-Bird at an auction in Seattle that my Mother drove for several summers. It was eventually sold and we saw it once or twice since then and changed hands a couple of times. A couple years ago a friend in our local club asked if we knew the car, as he had found a receipt with Dad's name on it after he bought it from his neighbour in a divorce sale.

• Like 1

I think the only time anyone spoke to me after a long period of time was about a 66 GTO that I traded in toĀ  a car lot buddy in AL.Ā  OverĀ 3 years after we moved to Hawaii, the AL. DOT sent me a letter saying that "my" car was caught in a traffic violation and had no insurance.Ā  Wrote themĀ  back telling that I hadn't owned the car for over 3 years and never heard back.Ā  I did once ask a gentleman that bought a truck from me to call and let me know if he got home with it since it had been nothing but trouble for me, he did and said it was totally trouble free from Nashville,TN to his home in Wisconsin.... apparently I had finally fixed everything that had been tearing up, ha !Ā  He loved it !

• Like 1

I don't often sell cars. The reason is simple I own cars that I like and don't want to part with them. When I do sell I only sell to a friend with whom I can keep in contact so IĀ can keep track of the car. The one exception was a divorce forced sale of a 1934 Pierce Arrow 840A Club Brougham, one of two known to exist. The name of the person to whom I sold the car, was Dale Bloom who lived in Kansas (either Overland Park or Overbrook).Ā Ā Dale performed a driver quality restoration, and several years later he called to offerĀ the car to me. Too much money and IĀ declined. After Dale's passing the car was sold. Two years ago I was told that the car was in Colorado, but no other information. I would like to contact the present owner. I thought that this was as good a place as any to ask if anyone knows anything about the car. The car is a two door, was tan and brown, and has a slant back trunk.Ā 

Ā 

Bill

• Like 1

A few years after buying a 62 Corvette in 1977 Ā I got the idea to call the stateĀ  of Florida to get a list of the old owners. For a small fee they sent me copies of all the past owners titles going back to the GM MSO. I called information and amazingly got the numbers of all the old owners and was able to talk with them and hear their stories.Ā  Unfortunately, the first owner did not have any of the original paperwork but it was fun talking with them all.

Ā 

Dave

• Like 2

On 3/16/2020 at 8:02 AM, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

To this day I still get occasional inquiries about the car I.e. did it sell, where did it go etc.

Ā 

Honest, I know for a fact there are octogenarians with old advertisements to follow up on. They are waiting for "that young feller to realize he needs to come around to a reasonable price".

Ā 

And I don't take just one example to make a generalization.

Bernie

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Buffalowed Bill said:

I don't often sell cars. The reason is simple I own cars that I like and don't want to part with them. When I do sell I only sell to a friend with whom I can keep in contact so IĀ can keep track of the car. The one exception was a divorce forced sale of a 1934 Pierce Arrow 840A Club Brougham, one of two known to exist. The name of the person to whom I sold the car, was Dale Bloom who lived in Kansas (either Overland Park or Overbrook).Ā Ā Dale performed a driver quality restoration, and several years later he called to offerĀ the car to me. Too much money and IĀ declined. After Dale's passing the car was sold. Two years ago I was told that the car was in Colorado, but no other information. I would like to contact the present owner. I thought that this was as good a place as any to ask if anyone knows anything about the car. The car is a two door, was tan and brown, and has a slant back trunk.Ā 

Ā 

Bill

I believe this must be the other one, but on the market and in the hands ofĀ a very good car guy. I say that about most people that also have Maxwells.Ā 

0EA73502-747A-46CB-B6FB-3C9E8929F36D.png

• Like 1

Here is a great story and it involves the AACA.Ā  I did not own the car butĀ  I still think the story fits..

A few years ago I was selling a collection of cars for an elderly gentlemanĀ in NY.Ā Ā He had been a dealer and had garages full of cars.Ā Ā One of those cars was a 1965 Ford Mustang.Ā Ā I posted a description of the car on the AACA forum along with the VIN.
On Father's Day of 2016 I received this request via e-mailĀ from a guy named Rick.
Trying to track down aĀ FordĀ MustangĀ that my parents purchased new.
Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā I see images of the car on the web advertised possibly by you in 2016 for sale.
Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Hoping you can help with my search.
Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā I have some original paperwork and provenance as my mother is still alive
Ā Should the numbers match, this car "Mimi" as my mother refers to her, was sold to Mr Least around 1967 when my father was sent to Vietnam.Ā Ā Sounds, and looks like he has taken great care if her all these years.Ā 
My dad and I searched when it was time for me to drive, and I have searched over the years in hopes that "Mimi" was still around.Ā 
Ā In 1986 we purchased a clone to Mimi, which I drove for roughly 10 years. Mom always said my Mustang just wasn't the same.
I later learned that Rick's mom was forced by her father-in-law to sell the car to make ends meet after her husband went to Vietnam.Ā Ā Every year she would ask Rick to try to find Mimi.Ā Ā On this particular Father's Day she promised it would be her last try.Ā Ā Would he just try one more time and as Rick tells it...Ā Ā Ā 

Ā Well thanks to Kelly for posting the vin number, on the morning of Father's Day, the day after Dads birthday, I came across her listing for the car in 2016. I entered the vin into the old Google box and well, here we are.
Here we are indeed.Ā Ā Rick and his two sons came to NY with a trailer to take Mimi home and surprise his mom.Ā Ā As Rick notes when people ask:Itā€™s more than the vehicle, itā€™s always the history that brought the owners together that folks enjoy hearing the most.Ā 
I have to mention too because I love this part of the story.Ā Ā Rick's dad bought his mom other cars to take her mind off Mimi but she fell for none of them.Ā Ā She always just wanted her Mimi back and in the end that is what she finally had.Ā Ā This car will be in this family for decades to come.

IMG_5223.jpg

IMG_5200.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/20/2020 at 7:17 PM, Harold said:

Supercargirl...

Ā 

Was Mr. Least the owner of Least Ford in Geneseo, NY?Ā  I used to wander his lot occasionally in the 1970's when I was at college there.

Yes he was.Ā  He still has cars stuffed into three garages.Ā  Each year he was in business he bought and kept a car for his collection.Ā Ā 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
On 3/18/2020 at 2:53 PM, supercargirl said:

Here is a great story and it involves the AACA.Ā  I did not own the car butĀ  I still think the story fits..

A few years ago I was selling a collection of cars for an elderly gentlemanĀ in NY.Ā Ā He had been a dealer and had garages full of cars.Ā Ā One of those cars was a 1965 Ford Mustang.Ā Ā I posted a description of the car on the AACA forum along with the VIN.
On Father's Day of 2016 I received this request via e-mailĀ from a guy named Rick.
Trying to track down aĀ FordĀ MustangĀ that my parents purchased new.
Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā I see images of the car on the web advertised possibly by you in 2016 for sale.
Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Hoping you can help with my search.
Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā I have some original paperwork and provenance as my mother is still alive
Ā Should the numbers match, this car "Mimi" as my mother refers to her, was sold to Mr Least around 1967 when my father was sent to Vietnam.Ā Ā Sounds, and looks like he has taken great care if her all these years.Ā 
My dad and I searched when it was time for me to drive, and I have searched over the years in hopes that "Mimi" was still around.Ā 
Ā In 1986 we purchased a clone to Mimi, which I drove for roughly 10 years. Mom always said my Mustang just wasn't the same.
I later learned that Rick's mom was forced by her father-in-law to sell the car to make ends meet after her husband went to Vietnam.Ā Ā Every year she would ask Rick to try to find Mimi.Ā Ā On this particular Father's Day she promised it would be her last try.Ā Ā Would he just try one more time and as Rick tells it...Ā Ā Ā 

Ā Well thanks to Kelly for posting the vin number, on the morning of Father's Day, the day after Dads birthday, I came across her listing for the car in 2016. I entered the vin into the old Google box and well, here we are.
Here we are indeed.Ā Ā Rick and his two sons came to NY with a trailer to take Mimi home and surprise his mom.Ā Ā As Rick notes when people ask:Itā€™s more than the vehicle, itā€™s always the history that brought the owners together that folks enjoy hearing the most.Ā 
I have to mention too because I love this part of the story.Ā Ā Rick's dad bought his mom other cars to take her mind off Mimi but she fell for none of them.Ā Ā She always just wanted her Mimi back and in the end that is what she finally had.Ā Ā This car will be in this family for decades to come.

IMG_5223.jpg

IMG_5200.jpg

Very nice story !

Old thread but I will add, Have you tried to contact a previous owner? I know several that have with success. I have always been afraid to try, would hate to find someone and have them say 'oh yea that was my car that was stolen'.

Ā 

My current restoration is a 1979 model. I found a stack of business cards from an insurance agent. Figuring he was probably the original owner, I contacted the agency with an email telling my story and asked if anyone knew of the fellow. I got a short answer reply, He does not work here anymore and I dont know him.Ā  Allrighty then. The case goes cold.

• Like 2

Research isĀ  a big part of my job as a broker and I have been involved with several projects where an owner has hired me to find the history of their cars.Ā  Cars built in the 50's and up are of course easier then prewar cars to find the past owners as there is a chance the past ownersĀ are still alive. I do check obituaries before making calls though.Ā  I am not worried about the cars being stolen as you mentioned.Ā  Just that perhaps you are making an insensitive call that could have been avoided.

Ā 

The car I am most proud of researching was a 1935 Lagonda M45 Rapide.Ā  Based on the only clue my client had,Ā a mechanics bill from 1935, with a name written in Old English, I was able to identify every owner from the first to the present.Ā  Six owners in all with the first being Laura Henderson, the owner of the Windmill Theatre in London.Ā Ā 

Ā 

The most disappointing project was the research I conducted for a client that was certain his car, a 1950 Jaguar XK120, ran in the Daytona Speed Trials and that it was driven by a woman.Ā  Sounds easy enough but not when you factor in the woman never registered for the actual race.Ā  Long story very short one day I received an email from a woman in England that had seen my request for information on a forum.Ā  She wrote to tell me that the woman I was looking for was her aunt and that she was in a nursing home in England.Ā  She invited us to put together a list of questions and her uncles would put the questions to their sister when they visited again in two weeks time.Ā  The woman died one week before we were able to ask our questions.

Ā 

And finally I have been searching for the Max Hoffman dealership records for about five years now.Ā  Some searches never end.Ā Ā 

• Like 2

Supercargirl,

Ā 

would you be willing to bounce some ideas off of my head on what direction I should head in to find the original owner. Like I mentioned, I would be willing to bet that the cards I found were his. There were a stack, and when new this was a pretty expensive car, the likes a good agent could afford. So, I already have a name and aĀ place of business at the time. Ā If you have any suggestions PM me.

Ā 

• Like 2

Hi supercargirl,

I'm interrested in what you said because I just posted a topic yesterday about my research of the history of my car, a 67 convertible Mustang sold in Woodbridge NJ in Dec 66 and "rediscovered" in France in the 90's rusting in a barn. Inbetween I know nothink. Do you think you could advice me or do a research for me about the "american history" of my car ? Here attachedĀ postcards of the Ford dealership where the car was first sold. That's my starting point for know !Ā 

card00557_fr.jpg

card00557_bk.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Old thread but I will add, Have you tried to contact a previous owner? I know several that have with success. I have always been afraid to try, would hate to find someone and have them say 'oh yea that was my car that was stolen'.

Ā 

My current restoration is a 1979 model. I found a stack of business cards from an insurance agent. Figuring he was probably the original owner, I contacted the agency with an email telling my story and asked if anyone knew of the fellow. I got a short answer reply, He does not work here anymore and I dont know him.Ā  Allrighty then. The case goes cold.

Not anywhere near cold!Ā  Have you Googled his name in the town where the insurance company was located?Ā  How did you obtain the car?Ā  The person that sold the car to you might be able to give you information on the person that sold the car to him.Ā  You can start to follow the line of ownership that way.Ā  Are there car clubs for your particular car?Ā  You can put a request in their newsletter and on their forum to see if anyone recognizes the car or one of the past owner's names.Ā Ā 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Owls head said:

Hi supercargirl,

I'm interrested in what you said because I just posted a topic yesterday about my research of the history of my car, a 67 convertible Mustang sold in Woodbridge NJ in Dec 66 and "rediscovered" in France in the 90's rusting in a barn. Inbetween I know nothink. Do you think you could advice me or do a research for me about the "american history" of my car ? Here attachedĀ postcards of the Ford dealership where the car was first sold. That's my starting point for know !Ā 

card00557_fr.jpg

card00557_bk.jpg

I did a quick search on Google Maps of the location on the post card and it appears that Woodbridge Ford does not exist.Ā  I would suggest a few things.Ā  As I mentioned to TAKerry start with known owners and work backwards if possible.Ā  A Mustang in a French town would certainly attract attention.Ā  What were the circumstances of the purchase?Ā  Is there a name on any document at all to get you started?Ā  How do you know the car came from this dealership?Ā Ā 

• Like 2