Have you ever been contacted about an old car you once owned?

keiser31

On 3/22/2021 at 6:00 PM, supercargirl said:

Are you saying your father could not answer a simple question like, "Why is your plane burned at an Airport in South America?"  I would have so many answers - almost all certain to get me thrown into a South American jail LOL  

LOL!  Well, he was a lawyer.  So I would guess he was able to provide a good enough answer to stay out of the slammer.

Edit: I just typed its registration number into google and it still shows up at a couple of sites.  Though one says it was 'deregistered in 2017'.  Dad sold it in the late 1980s.

My mom and brother have been contacted a couple times about another airplane my dad used to own.  It is a SNJ-5 (Navy version of the T-6).  Fortunately it is still flying.  Last we knew, somewhere in Louisiana.  There are a number of photos of it around the web, taken by vintage warbird fans.

Edited by wws944 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My brother was contacted about a 1930 LaSalle touring that my father once owned. An auction company was trying to confirm that it had been "formerly owned by Hoot Gibson." My brother told them that it had not, that a prior owner had also had an entirely separate car -- way different year and make -- that was the one that had supposedly been owned by Gibson and had "HG" castings on it. But sure enough, when the auction catalog came out, it showed the car as "possibly had been owned by Hoot Gipson." So somewhere out there is the owner of a LaSalle who thinks that it's a celebrity car.

• Haha 1

Guess I have always been of the "tell me three times" opinion. Do not trust any one source (well maybe some people). Also tend to trace and see if many are using the same source. A few times have found that I was the original source. (See "canary trap").

Can see a plane being used for trafficking. And traceability not being wanted. Why a signed bill of sale is important to keep.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jrbartlett said:

My brother was contacted about a 1930 LaSalle touring that my father once owned. An auction company was trying to confirm that it had been "formerly owned by Hoot Gibson." My brother told them that it had not, that a prior owner had also had an entirely separate car -- way different year and make -- that was the one that had supposedly been owned by Gibson and had "HG" castings on it. But sure enough, when the auction catalog came out, it showed the car as "possibly had been owned by Hoot Gipson." So somewhere out there is the owner of a LaSalle who thinks that it's a celebrity car.

I guess if you don't get the answer that you want, just pretend you didn't make the call.

• Haha 1