Kevin Hart's 'Cuda destroyed....

keiser31

I drove that road many times in my old `47 Chevy hot rod(in the late 60s), can be a dangerous road, speed kills on that one. I think Kevins mistake was letting someone else drive.  When I was 19(53yr ago), I let a friend drive my car, he bounced it off a parked car, taught me a lesson. Nobody, but me, drives my cars.

• Like 1

Once again it shows just because you have a license to drive, it does not mean you know how to drive a car that is 30+ years old or older and how they handle. To much confidence in your ability and the cars can be dangerous. I hope all heal up and can get back to the health they had before their ride.

Easy to put a ridiculous amount of horsepower into a vintage car. Harder to make it competent. Impossible to make it as safe as a modern car with crush zones, safety cage, ABS, traction control, stability control, airbags, etc.

Another reminder for the rest of us to be careful and remember that modern cars are really amazing. Old cars not so much. Be safe and drive smart everybody!

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Another reminder for the rest of us to be careful and remember that modern cars are really amazing. Old cars not so much.

I think modern cars are amazing for longevity and safety, and it's taken for granted by so many people.  

That said, a car is still not a solid object that will withstand any force.  When my daughters were growing up, they perch up on the hood of one of our (newer) cars, and when I fussed at them they were shocked.  It's a solid car, what difference does it make?  was their thought.  I'd explain how easily a car can crumple and it was hard to get through to them, but finally did after one of the daughters hit a tree head-on in a 280Z, luckily no one was hurt, but totaled the car......

Letting someone drive a high horsepower car on a dangerous road.....man, I feel sorry for them, but that had disaster written all over it....

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, trimacar said:

Letting someone drive a high horsepower car on a dangerous road.....man, I feel sorry for them, but that had disaster written all over it....

Certain cars are what we call "high risk test drives" and they do not go out under any circumstances. The one time a guy insisted on a test drive of a dangerous car (a 600 horsepower Cobra replica) we made him buy it first and told him that we'd buy it back if he didn't want it after the drive. That way if he totaled it on the way, he'd be totaling his car, not mine...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The Hellcat drivetrain in that car made at least 700 horsepower in what I assume to be a rear wheel drive only car. The factory built Dodge Challenger and Charger Hellcat cars are also two wheel drive and even with traction and stability control built it they are basically uncontrollable. One of the reasons there are lot of Hellcat swaps being done is that so many factory cars are wrecked, sometimes with only a handful of miles driven. The only Hellcat powered car that makes a little sense is the Jeep Trackhawk since its all-wheel drive at least gives you a chance of traction.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Glad everyone will be ok. Sign of getting older, had to Google Kevin Hart to find out who he is. Bob 

At any age, one might not know him.

I don't much follow popular music or celebrities 

or popular culture, and had only heard of him

once:  He was on an episode of Jay Leno's

Garage.  I don't know who he is, but I hope

he recovers well.  Now I'll check Wikipedia.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Matt Harwood said:

Certain cars are what we call "high risk test drives" and they do not go out under any circumstances. The one time a guy insisted on a test drive of a dangerous car (a 600 horsepower Cobra replica) we made him buy it first and told him that we'd buy it back if he didn't want it after the drive. That way if he totaled it on the way, he'd be totaling his car, not mine...

Remember the TV commercial when Jeff Gordon (In disguise) took the salesman

with him for the test drive?   I felt sorry for the salesman!

• Haha 1

It really isn't that hard to stuff a ton of horsepower under the hood of a 50 year old car but it's quite another thing to make sure the frame and suspension can handle all that extra power.

Hope all involved heal OK and they've learned a thing or two about what not to do in an older car.

5 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

A little off subject, but reminds ma of when I lived in New Orleans, and had a motorcycle for sale.  Fellow made an appointment, rode up on the back of his friend's bike, and wanted to take it for a test drive.  Didn't happen.  My understanding is that, even if he keeps it, it's not theft because you gave him permission to take it, and didn't specify the test ride time.  

It has been long since it has been a Barracuda.  Hope Keven sues the heck out of the company built it and specked it.  As a second grade teacher use to say "Fools names and fools faces always appear in public places." Glad no one was hurt, but it was an accident waiting to happen. 

Edited by 61polara (see edit history)

44 minutes ago, 61polara said:

It has been long since it has been a Barracuda.  Hope Keven sues the heck out of the company built it and specked it.  As a second grade teacher use to say "Fools names and fools faces always appear in public places." Glad no one was hurt, but it was an accident waiting to happen. 

Hurt, but not killed.

In the early 80s a friend handed me and another friend the keys to his Hemi Road Runner. We took it a mile up the street (US Rt 1) and back. Most horsepower I had ever driven. We didn't get it squirrely, just straight line acceleration. What a blast. Then he tells the previous owner sold it because the flywheel came through the floorboard! May have been driven hard in its early life?😲

It wasn't but a year or so later the friend decided the car was too valuable for even him to drive it on the street! He still owns and shows it.

Personally, I find Kevin to be hysterically funny.  One of the few comedians today that make me laugh out loud.  I have seen him interviewed and he seems to be a genuine guy.  Matt nailed it, no difference between putting a novice behind the wheel of Ferrari or one of these older cars fitted with the big monster engines.  Both are dangerous in inexperienced hands.  Admire the builds on these but where is the engineering behind them?

Why sue the company that built it? Their foot wasn`t on the throttle,  if he sues anyone it should be his buddy driving, or himself for letting his buddy get behind the wheel.  What`s with people?  It amazes me how things have changed over my life time, and how people want to blame someone else for their own stupidity.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, pont35cpe said:

Why sue the company that built it? Their foot wasn`t on the throttle,  if he sues anyone it should be his buddy driving, or himself for letting his buddy get behind the wheel.  What`s with people?  It amazes me how things have changed over my life time, and how people want to blame someone else for their own stupidity.

THANK YOU! 

Yes, you should know his name.  He is a comedian who has starred in a whole bunch of  movies, TV shows and is pretty hilarious.  The Modern day version of Eddie Murphy.  Short guys with  a huge smile and by all accounts is a pretty decent guy.  I do not find very many comedians funny these days but this guy hits my sense of humor.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Hart

I think he currently has a commercial running too for some major company.  

• Like 1

Thanks Steve, I remember that now.

I hate this politically correct stuff we are experiencing these days.

Comedians have often made their careers by making fun of others all in good spirits.

The regular guy cant do that.

I hate to see this guy get banged up whoever he is or was.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

Kevin was on the most recent episode of Jay Leno's Garage with his old Ford Bronco, which Jay kept joking about, even saying he bought his wife one.  Then he and Keven took an off road drive in some wild low powered 4 wheel drive vehicle with huge softly inflated tires, that could traverse almost any terrain.  Jay had Kevin yelling for help, or at least acting somewhat scared.

• Haha 1

d3edf632-b54a-4495-bfec-53c29a474af8-AP_Kevin_Hart_Crash.JPG?width=540&height=&fit=bounds&auto=webp

Howlingly funny guy who seems to be a decent person in real life, too. He merely made a mistake letting a rookie drive a big horsepower car and paid dearly for it. Hopefully he'll recover and be fine because I, for one, really enjoyed his work. He and The Rock are hysterical together playing off each other's relative sizes (Hart is pretty small) in various movies that I ordinarily wouldn't watch but Hart makes the movies. You should also check out "The Upside" for some of his serious work with Bryan Cranston, based on a true story of a guy hired to help a wealthy paralyzed writer and they become unlikely friends. I hope it isn't prophetic...

• Like 2

Mike 6024's post reminds me of 50 years ago when I had a new 1970 Triumph TR6, not the worlds best sports handling car, but much better than most muscle cars. A group of us were driving 200 miles to a weekend of drag racing, I had my Triumph, everyone else had serious muscle cars, Camaros, Chevelles, Torinos, Road-Runners etc. I could not keep up with them on straight highway/road, and certainly could not accelerate with them. But on a 40 mile section of winding 2 lane road, they could not keep up with me. I could take serious curves at 60MPH while they had to brake to 40MPH. Except where there were 1/2 mile straight stretches, it was no contest. I suspect Mr Hart's driver (if it wasn't him, who really knows), didn't understand the 'cuda was built for stoplight to stoplight racing, not for twisty road handling. I've had some good inexpensive road-handling cars, the 1990 Nissan 300 ZX was the best, cornered like a brick, flat, tight to the road, no over/under steer. and it looked terrific. Considered by many people (including me) to be one of the top 25 car designs ever created. Finally sold it 2 yrs ago, looking for a pristine one at right price.

IMG_4254.JPG

IMG_4244.JPG

IMG_4256.JPG

IMG_4268.JPG

Matt, I forgot about the Upside!  A really,really terrific movie with a lot of laughs, life lessons and a totally feel good movie.  Rachel and I left that movie thoroughly entertained and with an ending  that made us smile.  Terrific that it was based on a true story.  Kevin also had a goofy game show last year and his spontaneous reactions to the contestants screwing up was hilarious.  

I have driven the Snake numerous times in my son's 2006 Ford GT. Wow what an experience!  I have some road racing experience and the GT was a great car for that stretch of road, BUT I wouldn't even think of seriously taking it on in a 'Cuda or any other muscle car!  He also has a Shelby Series 1 that I've taken over there, but while it's certainly better handling than a 'Cuda it's still too much of a muscle car type vehicle (supercharged with over 600HP) for serious road racing work. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can't watch 30 minutes of tv without seeing Kevin Hart in a commercial.  "There's my favorite soup way up there."  Then he finds he can't reach it, grabs the soup on the bottom shelf and says "Got it!".  "This hand looks good!"

I am sure that one of those reality TV restoration / custom shops could have it back on the road in a week like they generally do. Then they could surprise the family when giving it back after he get back on his feet..  

e7fcd7333de741bea683f52b5f1e2e2c_md.jpg

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 1