LeBaron-Bonney bankruptcy

Pete Phillips

A real shame for the hobby. They were / are located in the Biddle and Smart Carriage factory in Amesbury MA. I always found them to be very helpful. They were not cheap, but they had what you needed, and that has a price tag sometimes. They were really helpful to local Clubs and willing to let groups go through their facility. When the Minute Man Chapter , BCA held the 2011 Danvers Meet , they stored all our goodie bag stuff as it came in and then stuffed our goodie bags for us. I for one will miss them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jack Welch said:

A real shame for the hobby. They were / are located in the Biddle and Smart Carriage factory in Amesbury MA. I always found them to be very helpful. They were not cheap, but they had what you needed, and that has a price tag sometimes. They were really helpful to local Clubs and willing to let groups go through their facility. When the Minute Man Chapter , BCA held the 2011 Danvers Meet , they stored all our goodie bag stuff as it came in and then stuffed our goodie bags for us. I for one will miss them.

I hate to see it too.  Not cheap is interpretive since in this case just having an option to authentically replicate the interiors was so valuable.  Hampton Coach ?  Or is that all part of the same company?

13 minutes ago, B Jake Moran said:

I hate to see it too.  Not cheap is interpretive since in this case just having an option to authentically replicate the interiors was so valuable.  Hampton Coach ?  Or is that all part of the same company?

It is all the same company. LeBaron Bonney started with all Ford products and then they bought out Hampton Coach, which at the time was a Chevy supplier. They did started to replicate some Buick stuff, while still Hampton catch and then after the merger, they went big into Buick stuff. I have also bought the fabric for a 41 Cadillac that I am restoring there. 

On 3/22/2019 at 3:07 PM, Pete Phillips said:

I just learned that LeBaron-Bonney Co., maker of many 1930s and 1940s Buick upholstery and interior kits, has filed for bankruptcy. What a shame. Probably a symptom of the declining interest in old cars, and Pre-War cars in particular.

More likely bad management verses hobby declining.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Businesses, almost any kind, proprietorships or corporations tend to mature and experience their own version of senility. At about 40 years they lose their founder and are taken over by "the board" or begrudging heir, most of whom rarely have the vision of the founder. I have been studying this since the early 1980's. These hobby support industries were formed in the 1970's and '80's. They are due for the creeping inept management problems of the 40 year mark.

Large or small, it happens. George Eastman, in my town, made film. He had a plant that made cameras to give away so people would buy film. Forty years after his death, 1962, they built a new plant to make cameras and each department was profit driven. The inheritors didn't get it. Most of the company is gone now. Many other companies have or are following the same path.

Mergers, if you generalize, are a pooling of weaknesses and hasten the end of both companies involved.

It is just a life cycle.

Bernie

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 3/23/2019 at 2:12 PM, John_Mereness said:

More likely bad management verses hobby declining.

A few years ago I called for samples of cloth material for my 51 Ford truck.  It has perfectly functional vinyl, but I hate vinyl.  I asked for period samples of cloth.  Three calls later and no samples!  On the forth call I was told that even if I did order, it would be so small that it was not worth the trouble.  (still looking for cloth).

3 hours ago, old-tank said:

A few years ago I called for samples of cloth material for my 51 Ford truck.  It has perfectly functional vinyl, but I hate vinyl.  I asked for period samples of cloth.  Three calls later and no samples!  On the forth call I was told that even if I did order, it would be so small that it was not worth the trouble.  (still looking for cloth).

I'm with you cloth is much more comfortable than vinyl/leather and have spent hours doing the same thing for a '58 Apache pickup truck and did find the correct cloth at SMS albeit pretty pricey. Have not ordered yet but there are some other options that get pretty close to matching the original (thankfully I have a somewhat tattered original seat in the truck to match to) at a much lower cost. Probably go with original weave but who knows. SMS will send samples. Here are some other options -

Kovi - https://www.kovifabrics.com. Tons of choices, prices are decent and they will send samples. I was not looking for Ford materials but if you know what you like could probably find something suitable.

Hobby Lobby - surprisingly they have lots of upholstery fabric (at least in the store near me) and have a number of suitable fabrics that would look correct in my daughter's '65 Rambler Classic that is need of new seat covers (although she wants the original weave that SMS has)

Joanne's Fabrics (may not be in your area) - also has a good selection of upholstery fabrics to pick from.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Use care with SMS. They often have the right fabrics, and they do nice work on the door panels and the fabric they have made, but they have far more samples of fabric than they have actual fabric available. If you order some they don't have in stock, they'll take your money (run your credit card) then sit and wait for enough additional people to order that fabric to justify running a bolt of it. That could be months or even years if it's something unusual. If you order, make sure it's in stock, although they seem to answer "yes" every time I ask, regardless of whether they actually do.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Gene Brink said:

...Here are some other options...

Hobby Lobby - surprisingly they have lots of upholstery fabric (at least in the store near me) and have a number of suitable fabrics that would look correct in my daughter's '65 Rambler Classic that is need of new seat covers (although she wants the original weave that SMS has)

Joanne's Fabrics (may not be in your area) - also has a good selection of upholstery fabrics to pick from.

Be careful, Gene:  I've read that automotive upholstery

fabrics have to be much more durable than other fabrics.

Think how often the driver slides all his weight across the cushion.

And if you're spending money to have seats redone,

I don't recommend spending your money on an approximation

of the correct fabric.  Incorrect material will be noticed by 

others, especially if you sell the car, and will actually detract

from the car's value.  You won't regret getting the correct material.  

True, John. Kovi (and perhaps other sites) have information on wear resistance on all of their materials (as well as several hundred specifically for automobiles). I should have mentioned that both Jobby Lobby and Joanne's have automobile as well as furniture fabrics.

Matt, Good reminder about SMS. I've read a number of comments over several years about them not delivering in a timely manner...

On 3/25/2019 at 12:27 PM, Matt Harwood said:

Use care with SMS. They often have the right fabrics, and they do nice work on the door panels and the fabric they have made, but they have far more samples of fabric than they have actual fabric available. If you order some they don't have in stock, they'll take your money (run your credit card) then sit and wait for enough additional people to order that fabric to justify running a bolt of it. That could be months or even years if it's something unusual. If you order, make sure it's in stock, although they seem to answer "yes" every time I ask, regardless of whether they actually do.

Second to what Mat said. I have ordered product for 6 cars. Always was promised product was in stock. Cloth for my 1960 Invicta took 21 months. full payment was made when ordered. I called every 2 months and was told it would be soon. You feel trapped when they have your money. Cant cancel the order with the bank after several months. Another order was two years. I am grateful for the correct patterns and product even though it is costly. I dont understand why they cant be up front when they dont have enough to fill an order when the take your money. I still recommend them and use them.  I tell other to order as soon as you decide to do you seats, as it can be a loooooooooooooooong time before you receive it.

Steve

We recently had to dispute a $1000 credit card payment we made to SMS. We were repeatedly told there was many yards of the fabric we wanted in stock yet once we paid suddenly there was only a couple yards in stock but they were "going to weave more". We called BS and disputed the charge successfully. We will not deal with them again unless there is no alternative. We ended up buying fabric from Hirsch.

• Like 1

So, is there a preferred/recommended interior and carpet seller now?  I want to replace a rotten rubber floor mat with carpet, and last year looked at a set from L-B but didn't buy because I had to repair other things first. 

I've used material from Joann, SoFro and other local fabric stores with very satisfactory results. I've never checked Hobby Lobby but I will next time. I realize that the exact 60-year old automotive material won't be found there but I visit a lot of stores to get the closest match I can find. My upholsterer has no problem with it but he does tell me to keep it out of the sun as much as I can as fading can be a problem with some of the fabrics. Also the selection of green colors is somewhat limited. Worked well for me on quite a few cars. My daily driver has 6-year old Joann fabric on the front seat and shows no wear at all. 

• Like 2

I have had to order parts overnight at times. If that happens I will call the vendor, ask for the part, and say "I will give you a call back in half and hour to confirm you have actually touched the part".

Lenny, the counter guy, at Northwestern Auto in Grand Rapids will do that. And they all should. When I asked the nice woman at SMS if she would do that for Packard material I needed she said she would. I sold the car before I got to that point, but I wouldn't have ordered unless she said she had seen it herself.

Bernie

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had ordered a top boot for my 49 Buick, as LB was the only maker of the correct on out of same material as top, tan stayfast .after not receiving it after 6 months,they said they didn’t have the material but only after contacting them several times. I finally canceled the order, and still don’t have a top boot. That was about a year ago. I wish ARO 2000 made one a good source for tops. Gary ps I seen the same thing happened in tool and die shops , the owner dies or retire and someone else takes over, and not in business long after that.

On 3/25/2019 at 2:27 PM, Matt Harwood said:

I have only had positive experiences with SMS.  I need fabric for front seat of a 57 (being painted now) and they used a factory sample to make me a batch.  I had it a few weeks later and it looks perfect.  They only required I pay first since they were making it special.

1 hour ago, lancemb said:

I have only had positive experiences with SMS

An acquaintance of mine in Turkey ordered seat covers, a padded dash and door panels for a 69 Impala four door sedan from SMS over two years ago. It took them most of that two years to get him the dash pad and door panels and he is still waiting on his seat covers. Every time he inquires about the status of his outstanding items, they keep telling him it will be 3 more weeks. It's been two years of 3 more weeks. I don't know if SMS farms out such jobs or if they have that big of a backlog of work.

Edited by NC68Riviera (see edit history)

On 4/15/2019 at 8:54 PM, NC68Riviera said:

An acquaintance of mine in Turkey ordered seat covers, a padded dash and door panels for a 69 Impala four door sedan from SMS over two years ago. It took them most of that two years to get him the dash pad and door panels and he is still waiting on his seat covers. Every time he inquires about the status of his outstanding items, they keep telling him it will be 3 more weeks. It's been two years of 3 more weeks. I don't know if SMS farms out such jobs or if they have that big of a backlog of work.

I have only ordered materials from them.  Seems like those that have had issues were waiting on things premade.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 4/15/2019 at 7:04 PM, lancemb said:

I have only had positive experiences with SMS. 

I’m glad someone has. 

I get long wait times. With the large variety of colors & materials used over the years, I understand not stocking many materials. 

What I don’t appreciate is being treated like a jerk because the material they sent wasn’t even close to the samples, the quality was awful, and the replacement material was just as bad, if not worse. My upholstery shop had to borrow my phone because SMS quit answering his calls. 

I’ll do every car for the rest of my life with the wrong material before SMS sees a dime from me. 

F1BFF0CB-FDC0-4347-81EC-682A686E4D56.thumb.jpeg.c8cf35792b2e061ffa2abf10d8319b3d.jpeg

While I too had heard a rumor that SMS had bought them a few months ago, I don't think that SMS or anybody else has bought the assets of LeBaron Bonney quite yet. I am in contact with the guy who currently has possession of the storage containers contain those assets and who had been trying to sell them. This was his email reply to me this morning. "I received word this morning from our lawyers that the LeBaron Bonney assets are currently tied up in litigation and are still technically in the bankruptcy attorneys hands. We won’t know until the second week of December regarding ownership of the assets."  

Edited by MCHinson (see edit history)

Hello I hope someone would continue on with the upholstery kits , but people don’t seem to be restorations of pre war cars like 20 years ago.LB were the only ones to offer the correct top boot for a 49 Buick,I had ordered one but never got it,fortunately I did get the money back.

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 9:10 AM, gdmn852 said:

Hello I hope someone would continue on with the upholstery kits , but people don’t seem to be restorations of pre war cars like 20 years ago.LB were the only ones to offer the correct top boot for a 49 Buick,I had ordered one but never got it,fortunately I did get the money back.

I know.  It is tough not to understand how and why they went out of business but what a service it is for a company to provide kits that normal guys can install vs. trying to find an upholsterer.