Jump to content

lancemb

Members
  • Posts

    2,793
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    4

lancemb last won the day on March 23

lancemb had the most liked content!

Recent Profile Visitors

3,697 profile views

lancemb's Achievements

10,000+ Points

10,000+ Points (6/7)

  • Reacting Well Rare
  • Dedicated Rare
  • Collaborator
  • Posting Machine Rare
  • Very Popular Rare

Recent Badges

2.3k

Reputation

  1. Yep, same in 56 as 57, too. Black, white, tan, dark blue, dark green.
  2. I wish I could buy this car. I just have too many cars at the moment.
  3. You will want to see a rubber plug in a 13/16 access hole about 8" from the back of the rear torque tube, behind which you'll be able to access a grease fitting when the shaft is oriented correctly.
  4. I think the buyer got a pretty good deal!
  5. Seatbelts were available as a dealer-installed accessory as early as 1957 for sure; maybe earlier. As best as I can tell from the pictures though, these do not look like original seat belts.
  6. Some more progress this week, but I also bit more off, so it will take longer to chew. I was originally going to just replace the U-joint and trans, then go through brakes afterwards. Then I saw how crusty the axle looked after cleaning it up so I decided to paint it and use some powder-coated backing plates and torque tubes I already had. Then I thought, if I am going to do that I'll have to have the brake lines off so I may as well replace those with stainless. So, I have more parts on order. The brakes looked great in back, so I just cleaned everything up and put them back together and adjusted them. It's not perfect, but a big improvement I think. The rear short driveshaft went through a few changes in 57, as the grease on the rear splines would work its way out, and the splines would then strip out. Late in the year grease fittings started to be installed. This car never had one, so I opted to add it. This meant I had to add a hole in the correct place in the rear torque tube for access to the fitting. In addition, I added a hole further up for access to grease the new U-joint; I will plug these. I have a couple of the original special grease fittings, and was going to install one, but then I decided to look at the 2 extra shafts I have. I actually have 3 different design iterations. The one in the car was the first pictured, which used a retainer with a felt seal to keep the grease in. The one in the middle uses no retainer and seal, but has the fitting in back, but was still prone to leak grease. The third is the later design, which is not prone to leaking grease in back and also already has a grease fitting. I opted to utilize and put on this one, of an improved design. It is shown here after the new u- joint is installed. I will expound on the short shafts more at a later time, and maybe even do a writeup for the Bugle. I think there are a lot of 57 Buicks out there with ticking time bombs in these shafts. I was lucky, since my car has under 60k miles, that I got to mine just in time; it was dry and starting to shine up.
  7. Well, I finally got around to getting the rear end out from under car, and also got the transmission out. The trans pad came apart in shreds! The thrust pad rubber is still intact, but pretty worn. Both will be replaced. I did a light clean up on the axle and torque tube and it kinda looks worse with the nice fluffy cake gone and all the surface rust exposed. However, it occurred to me that I have an extra torque tube (both pieces) already powder coated black so I might paint the axle and utilize them. I also confirmed that the rear u-joint is trashed, which I suspected and was reason I haven't been driving the car much. The needle bearings and/or parts of the cup from one side have been deposited inside the rear torque tube as little shavings.
  8. Thanks, I wasn't sure how well it would work with ink being metal. I'll try to use it on any future Buick-related correspondence!
  9. Soak the heck out of it with PB Blaster for a few days, then try the impact tool again.
×
×
  • Create New...