LeBaron-Bonney bankruptcy

Pete Phillips

Most upholstery places aren’t familiar with installation of the older tops that have the tack strips that have to be nailed on unfortunately most of the people that had the older skills are gone,can’t stop the passage of time,few younger people are interested older pre war or even early post war cars , or history in general,I am making my opinion this on what I see at car shows .So LB probably had a small market for their kits . I think my 49 has on of their kits installed.

996A970A-2058-4F44-BB94-4C1C262BAD79.jpeg

I love hearing people say there's declining interest in early cars, it's your viewpoint, but you're wrong.

I talked today to a supplier of a specific service for pre-WWII cars, and he said he's having trouble keeping up wth demand.

Again, just because one doesn't want a certain thing, that doesn't mean that there aren't a ton of people out there who DO want it.

One needs to look at the big picture.  Unfortunately, a lot of people look at the big picture in a very small frame.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, trimacar said:

I love hearing people say there's declining interest in early cars, it's your viewpoint, but you're wrong.

I talked today to a supplier of a specific service for pre-WWII cars, and he said he's having trouble keeping up wth demand.

Again, just because one doesn't want a certain thing, that doesn't mean that there aren't a ton of people out there who DO want it.

One needs to look at the big picture.  Unfortunately, a lot of people look at the big picture in a very small frame.

As my wife says.. "The view is larger in the windshield than the one in the rear view mirror."

I'm with trimacar on this one.

Edited by Dave Gelinas (XP-300) (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, trimacar said:

The picture is a shrinking number of people being serviced by an even smaller number of trades/crafts people, which means less services and parts at ever inflated cost available to the shrinking number of collectors because of the cost. Couple that with a shrinking supply of collection worthy cars and the smaller number of people even interested in cars and you have the perfect mathematical model of a business undergoing atrophy.

There still exists a maker of buggy whips named Westfield Whip Co. located in Westfield, MA. Reportedly they are busy and I'm guessing experianced whip makers are hard to find.

Citing them as an indicator of a healthy industry flies in the face of reality.

That's the big picture.................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1