Barrett - Jackson 2023

1937hd45

32 minutes ago, George Smolinski said:

Does BJ get picky about the vehicles they take or as long as you have the money, they’ll take your vehicle?

First time I seen picky and BJ used in the same sentence ;) 

I believe anyone is able to sell as long as you fullfill the consignment criteria ...

Instructions (barrett-jackson.com)

Request Consignment Information (barrett-jackson.com)

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Never been there, but watching on TV is a January tradition, not one car or truck that sold impressed me just locked into Pre WWWII vehicles, and I don't have an extra $200,000 to spend. 

Bob 

I get it...

I'm a 15 minute drive away and have never been for reasons you mention and mainly because traffic really sucks and I refuse to drive in LA type traffic anymore.... I've been in the Valley since 84 and know it's a made for TV experience and have accepted it. I sometimes casually watch for a few minutes and get bored quickly, same for Mecum and the like. The rare ones that pop up now and again I just read about later.

Give me an in person swap meet and car show anyday over a glorified pump and dump show. 

Don't get me wrong, as I said there are some rare and nice vehicles on there from time to time, but I often wonder if those involved on both sides of the auction have dreams of grandeur...

Definitely not a show you'd want to attend without a big bag...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I am hooked on all of the auction shows. Its kinda like me going to a car show when there are none locally to be had. For the first time this year I noticed that the BJ auction has been televised all week starting last Monday. On the first couple of days there was a plethora of pedestrian vehicles. Many in the sub 20k range. They hold out what they deem to be the special cars for the prime time viewing over the weekend. I did notice that the circus like atmosphere that BJ had at last years auction has seemed to subside a bit. 

As for pricing it seems that they start the bidding at 100k regardless of the vehicle and the buyers play right along!!! I often wonder how much buyers remorse is involved with these auctions. In my fantasy world of having a large bank account, I think I saw maybe a dozen cars I would like to own. 

Edited by TAKerry (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I caught about 4 minutes of it accidentally while channel surfing to find something interesting.  BJ wasn't it!

Terry

• Like 6

I got dragged to BJ once by my younger brother a number of years ago. $40 to get in and then they restrict you from getting anywhere near the bidding area. It was OK to get to see a number of cars but you better like Camaros, Mustangs or Corvettes. 
BJ must be making a fortune off these shows. 
Bidding fees to register 

Commissions for buying

Commissions for selling

TV rights and advertising 

Entry fees to watch 

It’s a money machine without a major outlay of expense. The guy is a genius to be able to make that kind of money having other people spend a fortune. You have to admire is genius in doing that good of a marketing job. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

I get it...

I'm a 15 minute drive away and have never been for reasons you mention and mainly because traffic really sucks and I refuse to drive in LA type traffic anymore.... I've been in the Valley since 84 and know it's a made for TV experience and have accepted it. I sometimes casually watch for a few minutes and get bored quickly, same for Mecum and the like. The rare ones that pop up now and again I just read about later.

Give me an in person swap meet and car show anyday over a glorified pump and dump show. 

Don't get me wrong, as I said there are some rare and nice vehicles on there from time to time, but I often wonder if those involved on both sides of the auction have dreams of grandeur...

Definitely not a show you'd want to attend without a big bag...

I just record it and when I'm ready to watch I just pick out what is interesting to me. Usually one day of B/J on the telly I get through in less than 20 minutes.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

First time I seen picky and BJ used in the same sentence

There’s a first time for everything, I guess.😁

1 hour ago, Pete O said:

I still tune in out of habit, but when I see that customs are going for more money than correct restorations, I tune out. 

Watched some of a recent Mecum auction. It appeared to me that some vehicles that sold were for less money and in better shape than the $29,000 crap that dreamers are trying to sell on Farcebook.

7 hours ago, 30DodgePanel said:

Give me an in person swap meet and car show anyday over a glorified pump and dump show

Same here, but I’d rather look at the stuff in the car corral than all the tri-fives and plastic rods. (Think MSRA back to the 50’s)

• Like 2

I have been to plenty of motorcycle auctions but never to one of the big car auctions. I had a buddy that has gone to mecum a couple of times in Harrisburg and he has always had a good time. I am going to try and get there this year, to look only of course.

6 hours ago, SC38dls said:

BJ must be making a fortune off these shows...

The guy is a genius to be able to make that kind of money having other people spend a fortune. 

Well, that's what TV is all about !

While I don't have time nor interest to watch much what's in it, I'm always amazed to learn there's still adults(?) believing B-J type auctions, car, etc building/restoring shows, etc are somehow different than Housewives of XYZ, Kardashian's, Pro Wrestling or any other, fully scripted "Reality TV" to fill airtime between (or including product placement) marketing.

Just like commercially produced consumer magazines.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

TTR, I’m not saying it’s wrong I’m saying it’s a marketing home run. I’ll bet he is covering his cost by the admission fees and fees to get a bidding ticket. The commission and tv revenue is probably pure profit or very close to it. Being number one or two in the muscle car era auctions BJ has done a fantastic job of creating events that draw in that many people over that many days at multiple events. I have no interest in the event. If I wasn’t visiting a brother I would have never gone to one. Still I admire the man’s business sense in creating a market tool that is so successful. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)

If the hammer prices didn't distort the "real world" values of most of the cars I might be more interested. I have long felt these high-profile auctions have done serious disservice to the car hobby by convincing every yahoo with a rusted hulk in the backyard that said hulk is worth B-J prices as it sits. Don't even get me started on the "investment grade" nonsense and winner take all mentality.

The inflated prices also discourage younger car people from buying themselves an old car because they think cars are unaffordable for their station in life.

Circus is an apt description for these things.🙄

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Some pretty harsh criticism here of the whole Scottsdale auction scene. Let me offer a different opinion.  I have been several times. Don’t take any of it personal. Go with an open mind and be amazed at the sheer volume of interesting cool stuff that you can view up close, much of it stuff you rarely see.  Of course there’s plenty of the usual stuff, but it is so large you’ll get to see a lot of things that are uncommon. Other than parking and admission, you can keep your wallet in your pocket and take it all in. I would suggest that no other venue can bring the huge volume of great stuff to look at. 

if you’re not buying, who cares what it sells for. And there are bargains there.  I am still kicking myself for years ago not having a bid card when a really nice MGC hammered for under 4K (this was quite a while ago).  Sure a lot of it is inflated and I don’t dig the resto-mods, but every time I’m there I see a lot of stuff that I think sold for a value.

it’s also pretty good from a human interest perspective for “people watching”. To me it rivals Las Vegas for that.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, John Bloom said:

it’s also pretty good from a human interest perspective for “people watching”. To me it rivals Las Vegas for that.

Your point about the experience of it all is something to consider, I agree.

The people watching,.... now that's the kind of cheap entertainment that never gets old.

A value buy would be nice to see once in a while (although I know that's not good for tv ratings). The value buys must be in the first few days, I'm guessing? 

If so, maybe they need to create a special slotted time each year to recap those deals and advertise the time slots to show folks that real deals can be had. Not everyone has the time or money and wants to sit through a week of auctions. If they had a special time for real deals early in the week then I might attend before the drunk money shows up.

Here's the auction results page if anyone has an interest. Just click on the "more details" tab for each individual vehicle to view the sold price.

Scottsdale 2023 - Collector Cars Docket - All Days (barrett-jackson.com)

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

51 minutes ago, 30DodgePanel said:

A value buy would be nice to see once in a while (although I know that's not good for tv ratings). The value buys must be in the first few days, I'm guessing? 

I used to watch these auction shows (B-J, Mecum) regularly but not so much anymore. Same format over and over again for several days and the commentary can be nauseating at times. The few cars that most on this forum are most interested in and the value buys are generally auctioned on the 1st 2 days. After that the insanity begins. If I watch, it’s just the first few days/ hours of the auction. 

• Thanks 1

I can’t watch  much of them on TV, I get frustrated.

For example, a 1960ish Camaro comes on, and commentators start their speil, “This is the rare xyz model only built on odd numbered days of even numbered weeks on full moon days, note the special fluted lug nuts and double top stitched inverse redacted upholstery, this is the only model that came with a nine inch deep glovebox instead of the standard six inch, only 9 were made and 6 exist”.

Now, a 1930 Packard phaeton comes up.  Same commentators, “Well, I hear Packard was a pretty good car.  This is an open car with a piece of metal behind the front seat to hold a windshield”………as I’m yelling at TV …… IT’S A DUAL COWL PHAETON YOU IDIOT……

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

17 minutes ago, trimacar said:

For example, a 1960ish Camaro comes on, and commentators start their speil, “This is the rare xyz model only built on odd numbered days of even numbered weeks on full moon days, note the special fluted lug nuts and double top stitched inverse redacted upholstery, this is the only model that came with a nine inch deep glovebox instead of the standard six inch, only 9 were made and 6 exist”.

Now, a 1930 Packard phaeton comes up.  Same commentators, “Well, I hear Packard was a pretty good car.  This is an open car with a piece of metal behind the front seat to hold a windshield”………as I’m yelling at TV …… IT’S A DUAL COWL PHAETON YOU IDIOT……

Like watching Fred Willard in Best in Show.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, rocketraider said:

The inflated prices also discourage younger car people from buying themselves an old car because they think cars are unaffordable for their station in life.

Absolutely!  When I show my old cars to interested

friends, who have interest in cars but don't own one,

they are amazed at how affordable antique cars can be.

"I had no idea!" they exclaim.

Absurd asking prices, and auctions' publicity for only

the expensive models, discourage people from investigating

further for themselves, and greatly hurt the hobby.

Let's have them televise a wide variety of cars in the $5000

to $25,000 range--like most people have--and tell how fun

and affordable the hobby really is!  And mention the AACA.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, SC38dls said:

TTR, I’m not saying it’s wrong I’m saying it’s a marketing home run. I’ll bet he is covering his cost by the admission fees and fees to get a bidding ticket. The commission and tv revenue is probably pure profit or very close to it. Being number one or two in the muscle car era auctions BJ has done a fantastic job of creating events that draw in that many people over that many days at multiple events. I have no interest in the event. If I wasn’t visiting a brother I would have never gone to one. Still I admire the man’s business sense in creating a market tool that is so successful. 
dave s 

I'm not saying it's wrong either and I agree that "B-J TV", just like all commercial marketing outlets, be they magazines, other TV shows, etc, is/are a great way to entertain(?) the public, while subconsiously selling them pipe dreams and other stuff.

My earlier comment was referring to surprisingly amount of people, including countless antique/classic/vintage car enthusiasts I've encountered over the years/decades, who still believe all the "results" are actually REAL, when in fact there's no adequate way to confirm all and as mentioned by others, just creating (as there supposed to) an distorted "illusion" of always hot and vibrant "market", especially and perhaps only if "you" buy/sell your ho-hum rides through B-J.

Brilliant brainwashing ! But again, that's what TV is all about.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I know a guy who wanted to sell a 1927 Chrysler 4 cylinder sedan, $1,000 to list the car + 10% of the sale price.  I thought it a bit stiff for a lower priced car selling on day one. The buyer pays another 10%.

They are into showmanship selling nearly all restomods that are done in a similar manner. I saw some very good looking Crap in the lineup.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Absolutely!  When I show my old cars to interested

friends, who have interest in cars but don't own one,

they are amazed at how affordable antique cars can be.

"I had no idea!" they exclaim.

Absurd asking prices, and auctions' publicity for only

the expensive models, discourage people from investigating

further for themselves, and greatly hurt the hobby.

You read my mind, but the TV people and auctioneers don't think it's worth it. 

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, trimacar said:

David,

A lot of that is the consigners fault, that information is supplied by the consigner. I was partners in two vehicles that were taken to BJ Mohegan Sun and we supplied the information, the information we provided was fact checked and then cherry picked and worked into the script. So ultimately the consigner dropped the ball on the Packard and did not 'fluff' the car up enough, and presumed that everyone shared the same knowledge that you have on the car.

I can understand the frustration that when all of this production minutia is applied to a mass produced car built in multiple factories  

I don't watch often. It's more a result of channel surfing that gets me there. IMO the first several days of the auction provide much more enjoyable watching. The variety is better, the prices are cheaper and the hype is under control. 

I know several people who have sold there, but I can't for the life of me remember knowing anyone who has bought a car there. It's a tool, misused, misunderstood or poorly timed and the experience can be expensive.  

I plead guilty.  In 1978 I purchased a unrestored 23 Cadillac 7P touring.  Still sitting in the collection unrestored.  It's nice to have a car that you can load up the grandkids and dogs and go anywhere without worrying about a scratch.  I can't be the only one.  I will say that in 78 it was a lot more fun than 20 or 30 years later.

• Like 4

Just got back, Prices were very strong overall and some off the charts.  A Mintor 57 D code T Bird sold for almost $500,000 with the premium.  Lots of high priced cars, some very nice, some not so much.  Resto Mods brought the big money, I don't get it but there it is.  

On 1/29/2023 at 9:03 AM, SC38dls said:

I got dragged to BJ once by my younger brother a number of years ago. $40 to get in and then they restrict you from getting anywhere near the bidding area. It was OK to get to see a number of cars but you better like Camaros, Mustangs or Corvettes. 
BJ must be making a fortune off these shows. 
Bidding fees to register 

Commissions for buying

Commissions for selling

Entry fees to watch 

It’s a money machine without a major outlay of expense. The guy is a genius to be able to make that kind of money having other people spend a fortune. You have to admire is genius in doing that good of a marketing job. 
dave s 

Go earlier in the week (Thursday?) and it's much cheaper. I haven't seen much there I was truly interested in but it's fun to see the circus like atmosphere and the vendor area is a hoot. 

17 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

I'm pretty sure I could conjure a 1957 Thunderbird from scratch for less than $500,000. Minter must have spiked the football so hard it changed the Earth's orbit.

We built my 57 in the late 80s. Installed a HI Riser 427 with a C6, a Lincoln Versailles rear end. It almost bolted in and it has disk brakes with a 9in drop out center section. That was the rear to use back then. I only had to cut the X frame out. Int, chrome, and glass all new. o rust on the car, came from AZ. I kept the origami drive train in case we wanted to put back to stock. This car always place 1st at all the shows we did. The stock Tbird group hated me and my car. lol

I had 25k into building this car. Been interesting to see what it would bring at the auction.

2015-03-11 11_03_35-20141119_123651-001 - Paint.png

20140804_234036.jpg

20141119_123228.jpg

20141119_123318-001.jpg

20141119_123521.jpg

20141119_123604-001.jpg

Edited by countrytravler (see edit history)
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ted sweet said:

for a group that seems dislike bj you spend alot of time talking about it

I do not dislike BJ or Mecum. I get a lot of entertainment out of that kind of thing. I do think most of the sale prices are on the ridiculous side though.

• Like 2

I have a neighbour who has an 87 Grand National that he bought brand new, has about 15,000 miles on it and has couple engine mods. He has only had it running twice in the last 20 yrs with the last time being 3yrs ago to move it. It has had OK storage but not the best and is showing that it has just had OK storage. Neighbour saw on a previous BJ that one went for over $120,000 so guess what he thinks his is worth. I have tried to tell him to that he should not use BJ as a price guide for his car....but there was no convincing him because of what he saw at Barrett Jackson on TV.

Edited by coachJC (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1