Old Hershey Pictures

ch1929

What a great opportunity to remember some of the good times we had back then!  My first trip to Hershey I brought along an 8mm movie camera and shot film until I ran out.  The last segment I took was from up in the old stadium and it was a scan of all the early brass cars insides the stadium.  It was 1970 and I think that was one of the last years the early cars were displayed there.  Later, I shot some 35mm slides.  I think we went digital sometime about 2006 or 7 because the oldest photos I've got on the computer are from that time-frame.  I sense a good winter project here getting my slides digitized!

I always enjoy old Hershey pics - especially from the muddy years!

Bring-em on!

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

What a great opportunity to remember some of the good times we had back then!  My first trip to Hershey I brought along an 8mm movie camera and shot film until I ran out.  The last segment I took was from up in the old stadium and it was a scan of all the early brass cars insides the stadium.  It was 1970 and I think that was one of the last years the early cars were displayed there.  Later, I shot some 35mm slides.  I think we went digital sometime about 2006 or 7 because the oldest photos I've got on the computer are from that time-frame.  I sense a good winter project here getting my slides digitized!

I always enjoy old Hershey pics - especially from the muddy years!

Bring-em on!

Terry

Terry, Did you just volunteer to give a presentation at the 2024 Annual Convention?   😉   If so, sign me up!

• Like 1

Well, yes I did volunteer for some seminars, but not one on old Hershey photos.  I agree though, it would be interesting to share some of the great stories from Hershey history.  Maybe someday if I get some pics organized.  Wonder if someone from Hershey Region could pull something together - there must be a lot of photos in their history archives.  Counting the days until we get the chance to make more history in "Chocolate-town."

Terry

• Like 4

The first time I planned to go to Hershey was 1974. I had asked for the time off months in advance. I worked in a power plant staffed by one operator per shift. Shortly before the event another operator announced he was getting married that weekend. Resist as I did, the Chief talked me into conceding my vacation. The following year I planned my Hershey trip only to find that the same person scheduled a vacation for their anniversary. The Chief coerced me again and continued for the ten years I stayed there. Which contributed some to the "way I am" today.

Finally, in the early 1990's I made it. I got off RT 81 at Manada Hills and came down RT 39. What a memorable and glorious sight coming over the hill above the meet grounds. Flying balloons and banners across the sky and vendor spaces spread out for a mile. I had never seen anything like it in the car hobby. That view is gone now, too. The welcoming balloons have given way to intrusive cheap plastic fence. But things do change. I hope to get down there this year.

And Jim Usselman probably still celebrates his anniversary. I don't send him a card.

• Like 2

I went a few times in the 60s with my parents and started as an adult in 1971 with a space ever since 1972. I will have to dig some more for early pictures but I always liked this one from 1980. It shows my 4 year old son running his own table on our spot and my long time friend that joined us for years at Hershey.

Hershey  Jeremy-Deane 1980.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Here are a few shots of the flea market from 1964, my first time going with my parents. Of course there was only a blue field back then and it ended before the hill in the middle, roughly where the big roller coaster sticks out now. One picture is taken from the side of that hill. The other couple we were with and a single spot. The fellow was my Dad's best friend and spent his Winters restoring brass. He pulled into his spot and put up a sign he would be back at noon. He said we should walk the whole flea market quick and get any bargains or rare things we spotted and then he would open up and later we would walk it slower to find the hidden stuff. He opened by putting up a single card table and displayed in his trunk and the card table. He had a small crowd waiting for him at noon. Some of his brass was pre-sold, he took care of that first. He was pretty much sold out a couple of hours later and he put the card table back in the trunk. We were coming from Ohio and the closest motel we could get a room was at Breezeway just off the PA turnpike.

Hershey 1964 - 6.jpeg

Hershey 1964 - 5.jpeg

Hershey 1964 - 4.jpeg

Hershey 1964 - 3.jpeg

• Like 16

1973 was our second year having a space. The 67 Ranchero was our camper the first few years. I bent up some electrical conduit for bows and threw a tarp over it. The first year we had new tarps that leaked like a sieve, I woke up to water dripping on my face. A friend gave us a large piece of plastic off a roll he brought to cover up parts, to throw over the tarp to keep us dry. Place I bought it admitted to a bad batch and gave me different tarps.

Hershey-1973.jpeg

• Like 5

On 8/29/2022 at 8:35 PM, Jim Bollman said:

Here are a few shots of the flea market from 1964, my first time going with my parents. Of course there was only a blue field back then and it ended before the hill in the middle, roughly where the big roller coaster sticks out now. One picture is taken from the side of that hill. The other couple we were with and a single spot. The fellow was my Dad's best friend and spent his Winters restoring brass. He pulled into his spot and put up a sign he would be back at noon. He said we should walk the whole flea market quick and get any bargains or rare things we spotted and then he would open up and later we would walk it slower to find the hidden stuff. He opened by putting up a single card table and displayed in his trunk and the card table. He had a small crowd waiting for him at noon. Some of his brass was pre-sold, he took care of that first. He was pretty much sold out a couple of hours later and he put the card table back in the trunk. We were coming from Ohio and the closest motel we could get a room was at Breezeway just off the PA turnpike.

Hershey 1964 - 6.jpeg

Hershey 1964 - 5.jpeg

Hershey 1964 - 4.jpeg

Hershey 1964 - 3.jpeg

Looks like my first year,  The next year the flea mkt, went around the corner never to go back just bigger.

2 hours ago, The 55er said:

Hersheypark Stadium, home of concerts, sporting events & band competitions. Still there and in frequent use. 

I have never visited the North East of our country.

Been to Daytona and Atlanta.

I guess I recall a very quick weekend trip to NC and Virginia when I was officiating a dirt car series.

I kind of like it here out west. We don't really have all that many problems with tourists as long as they go home after a visit.

But to many of them like it here and come back to stay.

I see a lot of discussion about Hershy and its history. But I doubt I will ever have the pleasure.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)

1 hour ago, The 55er said:

Hersheypark Stadium, home of concerts, sporting events & band competitions. Still there and in frequent use. 

The Rolling Stones played there October 1 2005, Dead and Company played there two years ago, not really a great venue for a concert as a spectator.  If someone told me back in 1974 that the Rolling Stones would ever play there I would have laughed!

During the meet the track around the field is used for the race car certification class, and the high wheeler race 

• Like 2

The local High School had football games in the stadium some years on Friday night during the AACA meet. I always thought that was a brave thing to attempt. I don't remember when it stopped but I assume when the Red Field opened and took all the parking. I remember some of the flea people going to the game.

would love to attend the Hershey event  unfortunately I live in the uk but its on my bucket list

so for the time being I will have to make do with the uk version of Hershey

which is beaulieu International auto jumble

and the famous saying is if you cant find it at beaulieu it doesn't exist

well I am going there next week hoping for parts for 1928 Chrysler 72

not holding much hope on that

great to read the posts on Hershey

and see the photos

• Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 7:31 PM, ericmac said:

Great thread. I hope others can contribute. 

No reason it shouldn't take off... will be very interesting to see how many contribute, lets hope so anyway..

Like Jack, I too am out west and Hershey has never been a reality (yet) so I can only hope for more nostalgic and recent photos are posted for us who have never been. The photos are like being in a candy store (pun intended) for someone who loves old cars and the Hershey history surrounding the hobby and enthusiasts from all over the globe. 

The closest I've been to Hershey was Harrisburg PA at 3 am passing through in 1982 while working on the road at the time.

Then again last September (2021) I was in NE Ohio just before the Hershey dates and couldn't allow for more time at the end of a parts trip as the wife and I had to be back in time for our jobs. So close but yet so far, but after retaining a trailer full of parts I imagined it must be how guys feel after a trip to Hershey. No comparison I'm sure, but it's the closest I've been... 

More photos please...

Kind of related... The Voice of Hershey is a guy who repeatedly says, "There will be no vehicular traffic in the flea market area..." I have been attending every year since 1973 and it's always been the same voice. Is it the same person, or has someone taped him in the past and just plays the tape for nostalgia reasons?😁

Frank

Edited by oldford (see edit history)
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, oldford said:

Kind of related... The Voice of Hershey is a guy who repeatedly says, "There will be no vehicular traffic in the flea market area..." I have been attending every year since 1973 and it's always been the same voice. Is it the same person, or has someone taped him in the past and just plays the tape for nostalgia reasons?😁

Frank

"Attention flea market vendors and visitors".........

• Like 1

40- 45 years ago, the announcer said "There is a group of professional pick-pocketers working the crowd, we suggest that you put your wallet in your front pocket".   Everybody as far as you could see, was reaching for their wallets at the same time.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldford said:

Frank

The original announcer has been replaced by his son. Zeke  

• Like 1

I was thinking in the movie the majority of the cars in the show would be the equivalent of a field of 70s and 80s cars today age wise. The advancement in styling has slowed down and most of the improvements the last 40-50 years has been in stuff that doesn't show.

Edited by Jim Bollman (see edit history)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

The REAL show in that clip today is for the "youngsters" seeing their elders wardrobe and hair doo's.

Ben

Long hair, bell bottoms, and ……..MUD.

Looks like a blustery fall day after a few days of rain- but it didn’t keep the crowd away. 

Our first Hershey was 4-5 years later. We drove 2 hours to get there Saturday morning; parked on grass near the new HQ; walked all the fields up to where the outlets are now; spent a few minutes on the show field; crossed the road to see the white and blue(?) fields- and wound up back at the car for the ride home. 

Things have changed; and will change again. 

Enough with the long post -  post your PICTURES!  We want to see them not just talk about them. 
dave s 

ps- this year will be my first Hershey at 76 years old. I will do a thread on my travels in the 38 from southern SC to Hershey. 

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

Regarding “the old football stadium”, and perhaps only tangentially relevant, but from 1951 through 1967, the Philadelphia Eagles held their summer training camps in Hershey, Pennsylvania, as evidenced by old pictures of none other than John Madden, who tried out for the team but was injured and never played for them, and Hall Of Fame quarterback Sonny Jurgensen; both men can be seen with the familiar arches of the Stadium in the background.

I’ve posted a picture of a building that I do not recognize, that must have been associated with the training camp in Hershey; does anyone know the history of the building, at least as far as any association it may have had to the grounds at or near where Fall Hershey is held?

Finally, an interesting (perhaps) bit of trivia; the Washington Redskins held their training camps in the other Pennsylvania Mecca for old car hobbyists, in Carlisle, at Dickinson College, from 1963-1994, and again in 2001-2002.   Jurgensen was traded from the Eagles to the Redskins in 1964, so he would have enjoyed his training camps (if a player can actually “enjoy” them) in both towns.

Finally, most everyone should know that the most famous sporting event  that ever took place at the old Hershey Arena was when basketball legend Wilt Chamberlain scored a record 100 points there in a game in 1962.   Was there ever any activity at the Arena associated with the Fall Hershey Meet at any time in the past?

82856296-83DA-4946-865B-65963E7DE0AA.jpeg

31363466-C922-44FF-A89C-E8F315DB50E7.jpeg

4730F4EB-E80D-43D4-A9C5-6B3CBF060DE7.jpeg

D113D0C3-E07E-4F18-A474-B307D31CFD99.jpeg

That building was the clubhouse for the Park (or as it was later called) Parkview Golf Club. It was built in 1930 and located on the hill above the old Hersheypark Swimming Pool with the lighthouse. The golf course is long gone but part of it is currently used for the car show. The building is currently used for HERCO administrative offices. As a kid I went to that swimming pool many times. It was rumored that in July and August during the Eagles training camp the pool was a hangout for the football players but I never saw any of them there.