Another Pronunciation Quiz

TAKerry

1 hour ago, wayne sheldon said:

A large percentage of people in most of the geographic North America could not read or write in any significant amount.

If you've ever spent any time on Facebook or Twitter you'll soon see this is still true. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, RansomEli said:
  • It's pronounced Ree-oh
  • It's always spelled REO, except for Royales

Actually, the factory used both spellings.  Here are two clips from the 1912 Instruction Book and Parts Price List. On page 25 they refer to "every REO owner" and on the very next page the show a "Reo the Fifth".   But the badge on the front of my 1912 Reo the Fifth says REO.

REO1.jpg.58462142148f8ba9232dad7ac365af09.jpg

Reo2.jpg.11bcd119619e25e94db5173528a17b0b.jpg

Try to tell that to an English teacher wife! Not only had you better pronounce things correctly but you better have the correct grammar for your sentence.
Her pet peeve when someone wants something and says —

“Can I have ….” Only you know if you can. It is suppose to be 

“May I have ….”

So may I please be excused from this exercise in futility?

dave s 

• Haha 1

Enjoying this rather entertaining and light hearted look at language and how it gets used/abused over time. I am not only interested in old cars, but history and genealogy as well. Re REO/Reo we are all familiar with BUICK/Buick, FORD/Ford badging, the use or non-use of CAPS is entirely user choice. 

Enuf of cars, or should I say Industrial Arts!! Back to English. I understand cursive writing is going the way of the Dodo bird. Such a shame in my view. In some family history research 10 yrs ago, I came across a list of Baptist Church Members from 1876 the first year my Church was built. I lived in a very small community called Homeville, which while it sounded generic, I later learned was likely named after my GGGGGrandfather Stetson Holmes (a prominent businessman/selectman born in Pembroke Mass. in 1753) and his family, who arrived in Nova Scotia (as British Empire Loyalists) around 1795 and were given a 1000 land acre grant (covering most of the community). The Cursive writing in this page from the list is exceptional by today's measures, indeed I don't know anyone who could routinely write this well. The "scribe" was a GGrandson of Stetson, William Holmes Jr., and note many Holmes members in the Church.

Like GregLar, and Wayne S, and some others on here, while we love old cars, it is not our only passion. 

Now back to Manual Training/Industrial Arts or what ever they call it today!

HBC Membership 1876.jpeg

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, JACK M said:

OK, back to automobiles.

A General Purpose vehicle in WWII?

Somewhat related: here's an interesting old time infomercial about auxiliary equipment you could get for Jeeps (among other things.) I was unaware of these products until I found this the other day.

WoW! That got crazy!  I am still in the dark though concerning the REO. I have always said Ree-Oh and suppose I will continue until I hear proof positive to the contrary. As far as the band I thought I heard an interview at one time with the members and they said they named themselves after the automobile 'The R E O Speedwagon'.  I had always called them Ree-oh's and was somewhere that had an old firetruck on site. They called the R E O Speedwagon just like the band. My thought was quite the opposite.

Greg as far as names, the minister that performed our wedding had his last name spelled Koch. He pronounced it Cook. I believe the mayor of NY had the same spelling calling himself Kotch.

1 minute ago, TAKerry said:

...I am still in the dark though concerning the REO.

Unless we find an old radio show with a recording

of a Reo ad, we likely won't hear it spoken in its time.

Knowledgeable old-timers could give their anecdotal

testimonies.

But, through logic, we have answered the Reo question

in the responses above.  No need to be in the dark, Kerry!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

the minister that performed our wedding had his last name spelled Koch. He pronounced it Cook. I believe the mayor of NY had the same spelling calling himself Kotch.

Lady up the road from me pronounces her name "Coke".

REO Speedwagon and rocknroll should not be mentioned together!🤨 Well, maybe "Riding the Storm Out"!

On 4/23/2022 at 8:48 AM, Gunsmoke said:

Ree-oh and Wil-leze. General English rule is words ending with YS are pronounced EZE... imagine if you decided A-U-D-I was correct way to pronounce AUDI.

With a proper name not of English origin, "ys" is "iss". As in John North Will"iss", or Samuel Gett"iss" and his namesake town Gett"iss"burg. Or that's how locals pronounce it...

Early (1970s) American Audi print ads  often said "Audi. Sounds like howdy!" So Audi itself was teaching us how to say their name.

On a recent episode of "My Classic Car," host Dennis Gage is looking at the Horch Belonging to Judge Joseph Cassini and refers to it as a "Hork" to which Judge Cassini says "correct." I have been pronouncing it wrongly all these years as "Horsh."

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rick Lay said:

On a recent episode of "My Classic Car," host Dennis Gage is looking at the Horch Belonging to Judge Joseph Cassini and refers to it as a "Hork" to which Judge Cassini says "correct." I have been pronouncing it wrongly all these years as "Horsh."

Yep. I called that one out on the first page.

19 hours ago, JamesR said:

Somewhat related: here's an interesting old time infomercial about auxiliary equipment you could get for Jeeps (among other things.) I was unaware of these products until I found this the other day.

This is a great video.

I think that Willys people coined the "Jeep" name from the military's GP. Pronounced the same.

• Like 1

Names from unusual origins can be tricky. In Eureka California, there is a street named after a sea captain from the late 1800s. I am not sure where he was from, however, he settled in Eureka around 1900, at a fairly young age, and lived the rest of his life there. Old timers in Eureka fifty years ago had known the man many years earlier, and all said he insisted his name was pronounced "Booner". True locals pronounce the street name that way. The sea captain was an educated man, and I suspect he knew how to spell his name as well as how to pronounce it. 

So, if visiting up there, and asking for directions? If the local tells you to turn "left on "booner"?" Turn left when you see the street sign "Buhne".

Similar came up tonight at SCV meeting. Program was on Major General Patrick Cleburne, who settled in Helena Arkansas after emigrating from Ireland. 

Arkansas pronunciation is HEH-leh-nah. A small community in neighboring NC pronounces it "Hell-EE-nah". There's a community near Helena NC that pronounces its name "Ba-HAY-ma".

Then there's Buena Vista VA. In VA it is pronounced "Byoo-nah Vista". Say "Bway-nah Veesta" and we'll look at you funny!

On 4/25/2022 at 5:42 PM, wayne sheldon said:

Names from unusual origins can be tricky. In Eureka California, there is a street named after a sea captain from the late 1800s. I am not sure where he was from, however, he settled in Eureka around 1900, at a fairly young age, and lived the rest of his life there. Old timers in Eureka fifty years ago had known the man many years earlier, and all said he insisted his name was pronounced "Booner". True locals pronounce the street name that way. The sea captain was an educated man, and I suspect he knew how to spell his name as well as how to pronounce it. 

So, if visiting up there, and asking for directions? If the local tells you to turn "left on "booner"?" Turn left when you see the street sign "Buhne".

Hans Henry Buhne (1822-1894) was a native of Denmark and one of the Eureka's early pioneers. I knew his great-grandson.  Definitely pronounced "Booner"

2 hours ago, charlespetty said:

Hans Henry Buhne (1822-1894) was a native of Denmark and one of the Eureka's early pioneers. I knew his great-grandson.  Definitely pronounced "Booner"

Yep I just showed my wife this and her comment was that of course u and h together make a long u sound but then again she was born in Germany and like most wives she is usually correct.🤣