Perfect or Driver?

I am solidly in the "driver" camp as well.

I just can't see the purpose of owning a "trophy" car that sits in a glass box forever and never really gets to be enjoyed as designed.

I can relate a funny story (if I haven't shared this one already) about a "perfect" car.

I've spent much of my time in the last few decades in Corvette world.  If you ever have the desire to meet a bunch of narcissistic, nit-picking, prima donnas just go to any of the national Corvette judging events where everyone is an expert!

A good friend of mine (who has since passed) found the remains mid 60's convertible Corvette in the back 40 of an old auto wrecker.  This was just the body shell from the firewall back, no doors, no windshield frame, no deck lid cover, front frame rails were pretty severely bent but it still had the VIN attached and no "salvage" history.  I knew my friend was better than good at restoration and I watched with fascination as this shell was transformed into a complete numbers matching big block 4 speed, in a very desirable color combination.  Machined surfaces with re-stamps was nothing new to me but I learned much about the intricacies of, shall we say "date code realignment" because forgery is such a harsh term.  This is the process of taking a cast iron or aluminum piece with an undesirable or wrong part number number or date code and changing it to the correct or desired number.  It is truly an art form.  When the car was finished it was stunning.  Then when I think I cannot be any more impressed, my friend sends this car to the nationals for judging before he sells it and I watch in bug-eyed amazement as the car takes top flight honors and of course it went on to sell for huge money.

In the end I had no moral issues with this whole episode and never felt the need to pass along my info or identify the car publicly.   My friend had literally brought one back from the dead, a new owner was as happy as can be with his "perfect" Corvette that even the judges could not fault, so who am I to spoil anyone's day?

Ever since that day when I see a "perfect" car at a judging event I can't help but smile and wonder what the car's true history may be.

Cheers, Greg

Edited by GregLaR (see edit history)

17 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

We drove the 1934 Buick for a dozen years,

then did a "Body-on chassis" full restoration

Back the You Did the First Junior - Senior on the first year,

the Grand National First couldn't come until the next year,

with a Senior Gran National AACA the third year .

By that time it was an "Object d'Art", and we had other fun cars to tour,

so it was passed to the next caretaker.

Three of our other cars:

1915 Hudson

1930 Packard

1988 Corvette,

have achieved AACA Senior and repeat Preservation Status,

and we do not plan to go farther in show,

and we drive them as they were meant to be enjoyed,

just as we drive our

HPOF Original 1937 Buick,

and our DPC

1954 Cadillac and 1965 Corvair

The 1941 Cadillac is an unrestored original which will likely never place better than 2nd Junior, but is one hell of a driver.

Keep me in the "Let's keep'em driving" camp !

What series and model 34 Buick did you have?I took out 35 40 series sedan out to lunch today with our neighbors,lotta fun.Greg

There is only one "correct" way to enjoy your car be it a 1000 point classic or a POS beater, and that is to understand that there IS no one "correct" way. Whether taking it to bed with you at night or beating the crap out of it on back roads is your cup of tea, it's correct if you enjoy it.

Trying to convince one camp, or person, that they are doing it all wrong is fruitless narcissism on a grand scale.

So to those who enjoy their trailer queen show cars, those who have both TQ's and drivers, and even those whose POS beaters give them joy I say "peace", and pray for the cheap gas of 2 years ago...........Bob

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Buick35 said:

What series and model 34 Buick did you have?I took out 35 40 series sedan out to lunch today with our neighbors,lotta fun.Greg

Ours was the 50 series, model 57 4-door sedan, bought from the 2nd owner, Lyle Pierson of Colorado Springs who had it from 1070-1995

we added a Borg Warner 30% overdrive, spliced into the torque tube by our late and dear friend Lloyd Young.

Somewhere, I have a picture including the 2nd, 3rd (me - and thankfully have lost 50 lbs since then), and 4th caretakers at the time I passed it along.I'll look for it and try to edit it into this post

2E521BED-DA4A-437B-8296-FE37B4BAEC62.jpeg

Edited by Marty Roth
Add picture (see edit history)
  • Like 2

There's another category of car that we haven't mentioned.

So far we've been talking about:

(1)  Nearly perfect show cars that are driven sparingly and

carefully and usually onto trailers;

(2)  Less perfect cars that are driven regularly in varying conditions.

How about:

(3)  Cars of any condition that form indoor displays and which

go years and years without being driven.  Maybe there are so

many cars that they don't get out, or they are inaccessible.

My thoughts on the last case are to form a nice collection,

but manage to drive and maintain them so they're kept running well.

• Like 3

What about those cars that get  properly restored to a high level, winning in whatever venue is top of the heap for that given car, and then get "retired" from the show circuit and and driven.  The decision point for the owner is if they want to live with some wear or not.  As BhigDog says, no right or wrong approach.

For the record, we are pro dogs in cars!! Large Great Dane, Pyrenese mix in small car last weekend! 

Happy Monday!! 👍😊 😁

FB_IMG_1648429784896.jpg

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

How about:

(3)  Cars of any condition that form indoor displays and which

go years and years without being driven.  Maybe there are so

many cars that they don't get out, or they are inaccessible.

My thoughts on the last case are to form a nice collection,

but manage to drive and maintain them so they're kept running well.

John:

This is a fairly common category where the collector keeps gathering up cars without the objective to keep them functional.  More than one just seems to be happy to 'have them' but cares little if he ever experiences the car from behind the steering wheel.   The psychological satisfaction of such a practice is lost on most of us.  One can give them credit for preserving the cars over time until the next conservators with the objective to reactivate the cars come along.

Steve

To me, a 'driver' car will be set up for comfort, possibly a hidden audio system, radial tires (depending on the year), and maybe a few other 'mod cons' and safety items like seat belts and disc brakes.

On the other hand, a 'perfect' car might be near impossible to drive long distances without some part of it deteriorating along the way, including date codes being rubbed off hoses, the paper labels (which were usually meant to be only temporary, or until the car was delivered to the customer) get ruined by road grime kicked up by the tires and the fan under the hood, etc.,  And some who claim their car has the original spare tire that never touched the ground might find they'll need it for the first time.

Craig

11 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

Ours was the 50 series, model 57 4-door sedan, bought from the 2nd owner, Lyle Pierson of Colorado Springs who had it from 1070-1995

we added a Borg Warner 30% overdrive, spliced into the torque tube by our late and dear friend Lloyd Young.

Somewhere, I have a picture including the 2nd, 3rd (me - and thankfully have lost 50 lbs since then), and 4th caretakers at the time I passed it along.I'll look for it and try to edit it into this post

2E521BED-DA4A-437B-8296-FE37B4BAEC62.jpeg

Nice,I like the color.

15 hours ago, GregLaR said:

I am solidly in the "driver" camp as well.

I just can't see the purpose of owning a "trophy" car that sits in a glass box forever and never really gets to be enjoyed as designed.

I can relate a funny story (if I haven't shared this one already) about a "perfect" car.

I've spent much of my time in the last few decades in Corvette world.  If you ever have the desire to meet a bunch of narcissistic, nit-picking, prima donnas just go to any of the national Corvette judging events where everyone is an expert!

A good friend of mine (who has since passed) found the remains mid 60's convertible Corvette in the back 40 of an old auto wrecker.  This was just the body shell from the firewall back, no doors, no windshield frame, no deck lid cover, front frame rails were pretty severely bent but it still had the VIN attached and no "salvage" history.  I knew my friend was better than good at restoration and I watched with fascination as this shell was transformed into a complete numbers matching big block 4 speed, in a very desirable color combination.  Machined surfaces with re-stamps was nothing new to me but I learned much about the intricacies of, shall we say "date code realignment" because forgery is such a harsh term.  This is the process of taking a cast iron or aluminum piece with an undesirable or wrong part number number or date code and changing it to the correct or desired number.  It is truly an art form.  When the car was finished it was stunning.  Then when I think I cannot be any more impressed, my friend sends this car to the nationals for judging before he sells it and I watch in bug-eyed amazement as the car takes top flight honors and of course it went on to sell for huge money.

In the end I had no moral issues with this whole episode and never felt the need to pass along my info or identify the car publicly.   My friend had literally brought one back from the dead, a new owner was as happy as can be with his "perfect" Corvette that even the judges could not fault, so who am I to spoil anyone's day?

Ever since that day when I see a "perfect" car at a judging event I can't help but smile and wonder what the car's true history may be.

Cheers, Greg

The above is why curated car collections REQUIRE photos, registrations, history of the car in the hobby back in the old days.........that's why it is very difficult to have a really great collection.........obviously this only works for cars that are pre war...........and maybe a handful of unusual post war cars..........pre 1920 EVERY CAR IS FAKE, and built up from floor sweepings without photos of the cars when new, and the 30's, 40's, and 50's. Truly great cars with iron clad documentation will easily bring world record money and double the market price of "good" unknown cars with no history. I won't buy any car that could possibly be altered/upgraded/tweaked/ect........regardless of price. If you ever need to sell in a down market or hard economic times you would be shocked how fussy the few real buyers are when spending their cash. 

• Like 4

After reading through this thread I have to think aloud, 'Why cant a driver be a high point show car?'  If a car has been restored to its original state, using oem parts, has 'decent' paint (that in all likelihood is closer to factory than most show car paint jobs), why not be able to reach a high level of judging. Just because there is a bit of dust on a valve cover, maybe a stone chip behind the rear wheel, so what!!  

I like all cars, be they perfect trailer queens or a beater that someone uses as daily transportation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Why is it that so many antique car enthusiasts insist that collector cars must be driven.  Do gun collectors fire all their guns on a regular basis? Do collectors of antique tools insist on using them regularly?  How about stamp collectors?  Do they feel a need to lick 'em and stick 'em? Coin collectors ?  Aren't coins made to be spent? Should antique toys be ripped from their packaging and played with?  Folks need to lighten up.  Plenty of room is this hobby for the drivers as well as those who don't drive their cars.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Restorer32 said:

Folks need to lighten up.  Plenty of room is this hobby for the drivers as well as those who don't drive their cars.

I can agree with this , and personally do not look down on anyone who does not use/drive their cars except to the organized show on a specific date and time and location. I also think very strongly that as a friend from England stated " old cars are best when viewed in motion". They have wheels, do not need to be driven vigorously to put intense strain on all the components to prove they still work. By the same token if you own a period house or building that you restored do you not occupy it?  I view toys , cars etc something that was made to be used should still serve that function but also be respected for its age  and used or dealt with accordingly and with respect.  Before I had some health issues to deal with a few years ago , my favorite old car activity was a cruise night to drive one of my cars to. Left in daylight most often returning after dark. The sensation of driving a pre war car at night with the glow of the bulb lamps , the look of the dashboard lights and lit gauges is just something to behold, and I take great pleasure in.

I have not had the pleasure of using my cars in 4 years due to said health issues but that is mostly past tense now so I hope to be back enjoying my cars the way I choose to .

When cars are driven down the road people who may just be in the area or passing may take some great pleasure at seeing something that was new when their grandfather or great grandfather was a kid still being used and also can enjoy the design/style of what they are looking at. Not a lot of people make an effort to attend car shows that aren't involved in the hobby, seeing the cars in motion is another way to promote the preservation and use of them, IMHO

• Like 9

I typically don't care much about the outside appearance of my old cars. I like them to be good, reliable drivers, so that I can perform routine maintenance on them, and get in and drive, either to the grocery store, work, or a 500 mile (or more) round trip to a Hudson meet somewhere. I do appreciate the tremendous work and investment that goes into a completely restored vehicle, but I would be a nervous wreck to use it, if I owned one like that. And quite honestly, I simply cant afford it. To me, the fun of ownership, is driving them, as they were intended.

Dany

So.Cal.

• Thanks 1

Which one is 99.5 % original, and which is the not totally perfect runner driver? They both run and drive. I'm in the drivers club and would rather tour than anything else. Of course rubbing elbows with the rich and famous is fun also. It is a narrow fence I walk. Dandy Dave!403087496_1915C-36Buick.jpg.9275dbe33ebbc1594f57006740034262.jpgIMG_3202.JPG.14d47406c936f0932fb0ec3b43f651b6.JPG

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 3

2 worlds   (SHOW QUALITY ) .......(DRIVER QUALITY) and what is in between....

Kind of like buying a New Vehicle you can keep it like new from the dealer      or drive it and watch the New Vehicle thing go away...

Not all cars Restored can make it to Repeat Senior Grand National Status with AACA 

But I guess if people didn't drive them from NEW there wouldn"t be cars to restore...

(But once there restored),  at this point I'm going to try and Keep my restored 56 Chevy Truck as it was when I  finished it 10 years ago and keep trailering it to AACA- VCCA shows, I put too much Time AND Work into it to start driving it at this point..

Some day in the Near Future Maybe it will see the road, then I will just drive my truck during the summer month's here in Northern Michigan

It's just hard for me to let all the Show Quality work in my truck Go towards Driver Quality...I had that, but I made the truck New again...(LOTS AND LOTS OF WORK <TIME AND MONEY & NOS PARTS) 

Kinda like once you put that Big Model together and put it  on the shelf you tend to not let the Grand Kids play with it and break it... ..... 

I could have left my truck as a Driver when I got it in 2001, but I chose to restore it to NEW as from the factory...Hard to let that GO...SO Enjoy your vehicle the way you want to enjoy it I Guess.....STEVE M

Edited by Rooney3100 (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It amazes me (not sure why it does) that people can put someone down for what they do with their toys!  It doesn’t matter if you are rich or average or poor, what ever YOU want to do with your toy is yours to do within the law of course. It seems a lot of people that have said I would never be a show car 100 point type guy, also say they can’t afford it. If you have the extra cash and YOU want to spend it on doing a car to as close to what is considered perfection ok. If you have the cash or don’t have it to do that but decide to drive YOUR cars, ok too. 
There is an old saying “you can’t legislate good taste”. That can also apply to what someone does with THEIR toys so why try. Instead enjoy the fact you get to see great cars in museums and collections that you may not be able to afford to see any other way. Plus you may get to see a lot of cars on the road. Look at what Keiser31 has posted in what he sees every week. I can’t own a lot of those but it great seeing them. On the other hand I got to go to Amelia concours last year and learned more about high end cars walking around with a true expert in an hour than I could reading in a life time. I appreciate both ends of the hobby and think both approaches are good for the hobby.

It definitely gives me something to shoot for in the perfection of my 38 and I better get to the garage as I’m running out of time at my age. At least I have more time than money, I hope. 
dave s 

Edited by SC38dls (see edit history)
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

Why is it that so many antique car enthusiasts insist that collector cars must be driven.  Do gun collectors fire all their guns on a regular basis? Do collectors of antique tools insist on using them regularly?  How about stamp collectors?  Do they feel a need to lick 'em and stick 'em? Coin collectors ?  Aren't coins made to be spent? Should antique toys be ripped from their packaging and played with?  Folks need to lighten up.  Plenty of room is this hobby for the drivers as well as those who don't drive their cars.

If you plan on casting that statement in brass I'll buy one. 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Some replies seem a bit defensive about those of us who drive a lot.  I know that people sure don't like to be told what to do, but most here that post their experiences of driving are simply trying to share what it makes them feel like.  Many AACA members into prewars are in the sunset of our lives, and for various reasons, a few will never "be able" to drive those long term projects that will never be finished before they are.   That's sad to me.

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

The sensation of driving a pre war car at night with the glow of the bulb lamps , the look of the dashboard lights and lit gauges is just something to behold, and I take great pleasure in.

At that point, you have proved to yourself that you don't own the car just to be "showing off".   It's dark, and nobody could even see you on that deserted dirt road in the country lowland with the top down, gentle warm breeze, moonlit views, the springtime tree frogs peeping.....It's just beyond description.

1 hour ago, Walt G said:

When cars are driven down the road people who may just be in the area or passing may take some great pleasure at seeing something that was new when their grandfather or great grandfather was a kid still being used and also can enjoy the design/style of what they are looking at. Not a lot of people make an effort to attend car shows that aren't involved in the hobby, seeing the cars in motion is another way to promote the preservation and use of them, IMHO

Walt G also said "things in motion"  ...Since we've drifted to other types of collecting/owning... A decade ago while working outdoors behind my shop overlooking the river valley, I heard a huge radial aircraft engine coming.  I ran down to the large newly cleared commercial lot, climbed up onto a huge dirt pile to look at what it was.  I went up there hoping he'd see me.  It was a WW2 AT6 Texan trainer plane at low level, following the river.  

I raised my arms high with closed fists to show my interest and excitement, not knowing if he could even see me.  He damn well did!  ... I saw and heard him go full throttle into a hard bank with wings 90 degrees to the ground, did the hard tight 180 and dropped down super low as he approached me from a mile away at full bore.  Like he was doing a strafing run. This happened two or three times.   He sure "knew his stuff", and what it could do..

Ok, who got the biggest extreme rush, him or me?  Was he just showing off his wealth, or was it because I showed interest in his vintage plane?  I doubt either of us will forget that thrill.  I absolutely knew was having a blast too.  I've never been to a warbird air show, never been to a warbird museum, but I got an awesome warbird show that he did for just one spectator, me. 

I drive vintage only since 1995 (for preference then), and now late in life I cannot afford a modern car.. I have a 66 4wd gas hog truck I never use, and my year round car is a 32.  Took years to build it from junk and always dreamed of going to Rhode Island ocean in it during the never ending build struggle.  Last September, I finally just went because I was a bit down...no cell, no spare, no triple A.  I'm running out sunsets, so I just went.  (and made it back home no problem)

Leno bought a 1930s $15.5 million mansion on the water right near here,... me, I found a place to park all afternoon for free 

DSCN3768.JPG.bae32a90b9a79de644976ca1023e63a4.JPG

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

All hope of achieving perfection was lost when my mother passed away ant 84. The only one who truly recognized it.

I can relate...  My Mom (who my sister and I refer to as: TWWGB2US, the woman who gave birth to us) just turned 83.

F&J. The best air show around is Oshkosh the end of July. Oshkosh airport becomes the busiest airport in the world for 7 days. They land 3 at a time staggered on the long runway. You can climb in WW2 warbirds and even take a flight in one. 
I have a friend that had a T6, he is not wealthy but an ex air line pilot, it’s a ball to fly with him. The T6 was the trainer most WW2 pilots trained on.  Easy plane to fly compared to a Mustang or F4U Corsair. 
Oshkosh is the Hersey of antique aircraft without all parts vendors. 
dave s 

• Like 2

On 4/2/2022 at 11:57 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

Actually, there are very few "perfect" cars.

I like my cars to look excellent, but not to the 

degree that I'll spend thousands of dollars to

pick up a few extra judging points.  When I take

my cars to shows, even Hershey, it's to share them

with others, not to get an award.

Eric, you drove a Model T DAILY?  Do you mean

a relaxing evening drive every single day during

the warm seasons;  or do you mean even into town

on errands and to work?  That would be worthy of

a magazine article!

Well, the car has already been featured in several magazines and was actually on the cover of the Antique Automobile shortly after the restoration was done. To be candid, I felt it best not to mention how much I was using the car so my insurance wouldn't be canceled.

About driving it daily, yes, I drove it for errands, to the hardware store and though the course of one summer, to work every day, rain or shine. In a different life I was a faculty member,  teaching a couple courses at a University and at the same time I was competing my PhD.

In short, I was poor because I was changing course in my career,  and at the same time my wife was expecting our daughter. Then my truck (a Ford F-350 with the dreaded 6.0) broke down.

I had to get to work, a roughly 60 mile round trip commute on back roads. I didn't want to be without an old car but didn't have the money for another car. The solution? Drive the Ford all the time. It got me through the summer and I had a lot of fun doing it.  

Upon completion of my doctorate, I got a better job making more money and stopped abusing the car all the time...and traded the F-350 on a GMC Denali!

• Thanks 1

I've owned a lot of cars in the last 50+ years. 99% have been drivers or clunkers. 1% were show worthy, maybe. I prefer to be a spectator of the perfect cars, not an owner. Having a wide variety of tastes in automobiles keeps me from having just one perfect example, but rather a few drivers.

• Like 2

As has been mentioned, there are all kinds of us in this "hobby"(?), but just because someone "collects" (or hoards) cars or car parts doesn't automatically make them a real car person, at least in my eyes. 

Lots of people collect or hoard variety of stuff, including previously mentioned "antique"/old coins, guns, stamps, tools, etc, but that doesn't automatically qualify them true enthusiasts or good custodians of said objects.

Obviously old, not-in-current-circulation coins or stamps, etc can't be put into their originally intended use and I find such comparison to cars, etc a bit on the silly side. Antique guns, tools or other equipment, etc on the other hand can ... 

But then again, I've never understood those "collecting"(?) old/rare wines, whiskeys, etc and not enjoying them originally "as intended" (by drinking).

Why would anyone pay over $1M for a bottle of single malt and not drink it, if not for egocentric "bragging rights" ???

Just like many who own/rebuild/restore and then just occasionally/sparingly show their antique/classic/vintage/etc cars/etc at events, be it a local C & C or Pebble Beach, or keep them in "museums" are often into it all only for egocentric reasons to "impress" others, expecting accolades and praise while often claiming to do it "for the future and preservation of the hobby".

I'm not really knocking them, but rather just acknowledging reality.

Some of my clients are or have, in past 3+ decades, been in this "group" and I just feel/felt sorry for them & their cars.

Any non-egocentric, real car guy should understand that any car, including all PB BoS winners, etc could/should be treated as a car which can be rebuilt/restored again, again and again in the future and therefor there's no real reason to reduce its/their existence to display only object(s). 

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, TTR said:

Any non-egocentric, real car guy should understand that any car, including all PB BoS winners, etc could/should be treated as a car which can be rebuilt/restored again, again and again in the future and therefor there's no real reason to reduce its/their existence to display only object(s). 

On 4/3/2022 at 5:15 PM, Bhigdog said:

Trying to convince one camp, or person, that they are doing it all wrong is fruitless narcissism on a grand scale.

Nuff said...............Bob

• Haha 1

My POS Cadillac sedan was a parts car for a convertible project back in the '70s. That sedan still runs and drives but looks like a POS with the worn out original paint on the main body and all the old tin and chrome from the convertible. Yes, it would be nice to have it look 100%. But I'm not willing to spend thousands upon thousands of dollars and the time to restore it. It just ain't worth it. But I still drive it as I have been since buying it in 1985.

Edited by mrspeedyt (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Right or wrong, but here’s how I would summarize my preference or view:

Unless it has enough (electrical/mechanical) things wrong with it or it was never originally intended to be used as such, any car is a perfect driver and nothing more or nothing less

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Chris Bamford said:

I have a soft spot for worn out POS runners... can we see a picture or two?

Here is one on mine…….I have a handful……..as well as a 100 pointer or two.

4DA530E0-6504-4D58-87FF-29B7FBF1F773.jpeg

• Like 3

It takes all types of people to make the hobby work…………and they are all fairly crazy and interesting at the same time. The hoarder types save stuff……….the trophy mongers restore stuff……….the drivers wear them out…….. it’s all good. Only a very select few do it all. I consider myself a hoarder, a trophy monger to a small extent, and a driver. In the end…….it’s more bout the people and friends I have made over the last four decades……….and I would so all of it over again exactly the way I did it the first time around. 

And one last comment. None of us get out of this world alive……..we are all just caretakers for the next guy………be a good steward of your car…….the next guy in line will appreciate it. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

I took the original question as "what do I prefer to do". Not as what is right or wrong or better or more moral or superior or etc. And my early post was answered in that sense. The way I most like it, for myself.

Absolutely, the hobby has room for a wide variety of interests and approaches. The cars, the history, the hobby, need cars stuck in museums for schools and boy scouts and young families to wander through and see an early automobile they would likely never see otherwise. Local cars and coffee events attract many local people from all walks of life to also see what they otherwise might not. I rarely attend the big shows, for a variety of family reasons, but when I do attend them, I love every minute of looking at some of the best of the best! And I love meeting some of the people, and hearing their stories. I have been fortunate to personally know a fair number of private collectors. Many of them still living that I won't mention their names out of respect for their desire for some amount of privacy. I treasure every minute I have been able to spend, in their shops, or wandering through their collections, looking at fantastic cars few people get to see! The people that can afford to, save and carefully preserve a lot more historic automobiles than I ever could.

And someone may see that lone four cylinder Dodge sitting in the local history museum. That lone car might spark a curiosity that makes them later stop and look at the local cars and coffee. And that might spark a little more interest leading them to go see a local charity concourse. And who knows where that may lead?

I can't say I like especially rare cars ruined by being turned into a restomod. However, I can appreciate a well done hotrod built from some common shell as well as a lot of other nonoriginal things. And as long as they still represent their original intention? Rusty or restored to 100 points, road ready or needing quite a bit before starting it up again? And almost anything in between the two extremes? I like almost all of them, as long as they are old enough to interest me at least a little bit.

And even if the car is too modern to interest me? I still like to see someone, basically anyone, enjoying their version of a hobby. Antique automobiles, coins, stamps, books, whatever.

By the way. I started serious collecting when I was nine by collecting coins. I still have a few non-valuable things left, but sold most of my coins about forty years ago to help pay the kids' medical bills. I still look at every coin I get in change. Two days ago, I got a 1943-S wartime silver nickel in my change! I am keeping it!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

The topic was not to say anyone is wrong or right. Merely a discussion of what tends to be the broad preference. My preference as stated is less on perfection and more on just the enjoyment of driving. That means something different to everyone. This topic has clearly shown the varying opinions and perspectives. Obviously the only correct opinion is that you enjoy your car however you like it. 

Just have fun with your car folks! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1