What inspired you to buy a Riviera?

65VerdeGS

What inspired you to buy your Riviera?

I recently came across the book that inspired me to buy a first-gen Riviera. Back in late 1982 I was looking for a more interesting car to replace my '72 Chevy Nova when I came across a copy of the "Complete Book of Collectible Cars" by Richard Langworth, published the year before.  This book included capsule reviews of all domestic and foreign cars deemed to be "collectible". The entry for each model included specifications, history, points in favor and against the particular car.  Here's the cover of this book:

image.png.0b8c0a5e51dbe3ad6fba5e3854aad70c.png

Here's the write-up on the 1963-65 Buick Riviera:

image.png.7611477f3a4d636c3e6e58508e52a5a2.png

image.png.e02397d2a3accf424ff8f791dfd9833f.png

On the strength of this review, I decided to acquire a first-Gen Riviera.  In retrospect, Langworth's review turned out to be uncannily accurate, especially with regards to the "For" and "Against" ratings of the car. The prices listed 40 years ago are laughably low, but were accurate at the time, as I paid $2,200 for my Gran Sport in Feb 1983.  

"Bill Mitchell's magnificent anti-Thunderbird"  - I still love that line!

So, what inspired you to buy your Riviera?

• Like 7

I saw the first generation Buick Riviera in Lomita CA sometime around 63. I was thirteen or fourteen. One of our HS baseball players signed with a MLB team and bought a Navy blue with white interior Riviera with his signing bonus.

I was wowed by the car and wanted a Riviera. At the time I was driving a Schwinn bicycle. Fifty years later I was looking at 64 Impala SS and the seller wanted more than I was willing to spend. My friend suggested I look at the first generation Rivieras and my memory popped open the 63/64 scene. I shopped for a long time and bought a RIVIERA 63 from a dealer in Manitowoch WS. I got a better car, FOR ME, with the 63 Riviera with AC. The car was highly optioned, as far as I'm concerned, and ended up looking real good.

DSC_0619.JPG

• Like 6

If my '67 had the cloth interior rather than vinyl, it would be the twin for one owned by my best friend's family back in '71.  My friend's father ran a garage near Syracuse University and bought the gold '67 from a regular customer who bought a new '71 Riviera.  I loved the look of the '67 and it eventually briefly became my friend's car in high school.  I still recall how ugly I thought the '71 was in comparison and couldn't understand why anyone would ditch the '67 for a 'boat-tail'.  Of course, 50 years later, my taste has 'matured' and I wouldn't mind having a '71 or '72 in my garage - with the '67 of course...  ;)

image.png.f2d069d3029b7ff1b33293fc223e840c.png

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

There was an older girl in my neighborhood that parked her black 71 at the grocery store next to my neighborhood. I used to ride my bike by there all the time and thought it was sharp. One day her brother gets on the school bus and says, anyone want to by a Riviera? Checked out with dad and while I was crazy about gto’s etc, it was black, had a 455 and buckets/console and a posi. Bought it for $1050 in ‘88. Man it did the best burnouts. Been a riv guy ever since. 

88010491-614E-420F-BC65-285AF54987E8.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

In September of 1962, when I was 15, I went with my dad to Stuart Conklin Buick in Hutchinson where he’d go occasionally return to see the guys he used to work with.  I was messing around in the back room and lifted the cover off a car. It was a 1963 Riviera, it was Spruce Green with Silver interior. I was hooked. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I saw it with a for sale sign on the corner out front a classic car restoration garage I had some grunt work at. It was a very basic 1965 401 white paint with blue interior. I thought to myself it looked medieval; something maybe Vlad the impaler would have driven. I had to have it! That non-Gran Sport beast tore down the road like a race horse on fire with a simple tap of the foot. Literally peeling out the whole way, wowwowowo. Later I found out that the design was indeed inspired by medieval armor. It was the first vehicle I purchased. Later I saw a Burnt Coral 73 with black interior (although it could have been burgundy as I never checked the tag back then) for sale, "what the hell is that?!" I thought. It made me think of what it might look like if you combine a corvette with a tank! A must buy. For many years I didn't know what other Rivieras looked like till I saw a triple Green 67 Black Plate. I would say the 66-67 is at the top for my personal taste (the 66 literally comes with a full phantom grill front), yet if I could I would combine my favorite features form 63-73 to make an ultimate ride. For some reason I have instantly embraced the styling of the early Rivieras at first sight. Most other body lines don't compare...

DJI_0107.JPG

Backleft.JPG

Edited by Chimera (see edit history)
  • Like 5

In the small towns I lived in throughout life, there were no Buick dealerships anywhere near to my homes.  So, no Rivieras (1st thru 5th generation) were ever around to be seen.  It wasn't until a friend of mine who ran the computer room at Honeywell bought a '85 Riviera that I then took notice.  Therefore, over time I became an owner of 6th, 7th, and 8th generation Rivieras.  I came to really appreciate previous generations of Rivieras once I joined the ROA and saw them up close and personal.

2012 BCA Meet my riv.JPG

• Like 4

My Dad bought a brand new Midnight Blue '65 Riviera in Detroit. I was born in 1970, and it's the first car I ever rode in. I was only about two when he traded for an LTD, so I don't remember the car, but I have several photos of me and him and my Mom all standing by the car. I got hooked on cars at a really young age, and I remember he and Mom telling me stories about how much they loved that Riviera and how the headlights worked. Took me 40 years since I remember actually seeing a photo of Dad's, but I finally got my own at age 46. Just drives like nothing else, and this car belonged to country singer Junior Brown for 20 years before I bought it. Everyone has Camaros, Mustangs, and all kinds of other GM and Ford cars, but virtually NOBODY in North Alabama has one of these, and even fewer people even know what it is. I have had four Corvettes, currently have an '89 six speed vette right now, but you couldn't give me a sackful of Corvettes of ANY kind for this Riviera, even if it's being a little whiny beast right now due to charging issues, lol.

DSC_7604.JPG

• Like 6

13 hours ago, lrlforfun said:

I'm a First-Gen Riv guy. I was in 6th grade when they hit in the fall of 1962. 63-67 Corvette, 63-64-65 Riviera.  Sexy as hell, performance and sexy as hell. Did I say that twice?  Mitch

Say it again. The Truth with a capital T.

Turbinator

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, jframe said:

My Dad bought a brand new Midnight Blue '65 Riviera in Detroit. I was born in 1970, and it's the first car I ever rode in. I was only about two when he traded for an LTD, so I don't remember the car, but I have several photos of me and him and my Mom all standing by the car. I got hooked on cars at a really young age, and I remember he and Mom telling me stories about how much they loved that Riviera and how the headlights worked. Took me 40 years since I remember actually seeing a photo of Dad's, but I finally got my own at age 46. Just drives like nothing else, and this car belonged to country singer Junior Brown for 20 years before I bought it. Everyone has Camaros, Mustangs, and all kinds of other GM and Ford cars, but virtually NOBODY in North Alabama has one of these, and even fewer people even know what it is. I have had four Corvettes, currently have an '89 six speed vette right now, but you couldn't give me a sackful of Corvettes of ANY kind for this Riviera, even if it's being a little whiny beast right now due to charging issues, lol.

DSC_7604.JPG

A great story about a very fine automobile and first class gent. (Jr Brown is a dynamite slide guitar player)

Turbinator

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Zimm63 said:

Knew Jr. had one, and its good to know its found a good home.  

You should rig your sound system to play Little Rivi Airhead when ever you start it up.  

Haha, it's on my phone playlist and I Bluetooth it to the Riv every now and then.

• Like 1

I was also a car-mad 14 or 15 year old, our next door neighbor bought a new white first gen Riv. Not sure if it was a 63 or 64, I loved the way it looked and sounded, and it stuck in my head the way countless other cars did. I finally had the opportunity to buy one in 2005, guess what - it was a white 63.

DSCF7135.jpg

• Like 6

Although somewhat of a 'car guy' in my early twenties, (I knew just enough to be dangerous, not much has changed...🙂) our local economy was booming and I was working on home renovations making decent cash at the time. Next door to one of our projects, the neighbour was selling two Riv's - a '64 and a black-black '65 that he picked up at an estate sale from the original owners. Both were original Edmonton cars sold at Jenner Motors, but he had very little original documentation. If I recall he wanted an extra grand for the '65 but I immediately fell in love with the Wedgewood Blue '64. Both were in pretty good shape with similar mileage.  I knew very little about the differences at the time, and after test driving both, the acceleration on both put a big perma-smile on my face, but the beautiful blue on blue and the extra grand in my pocket seemed like a no-brainer for me. That was 1980.

Time-warp 40+ years later, for all intent and purpose, the exterior and interior are as I bought it, (save but all the minor dings and scratches by me). Still love the colour, and even tho' it's now a twenty-footer, I still get a lot of compliments. Major mechanical done in the last few years and although I've threatened to sell it over the years, too late for that now. Looking to get new tires, but tough to get the whitewalls 'round here in the 225/75R15 I've been running since the turn of the century... (<- although it makes me feel old, I love being able to say the turn of the century thing...)

So to answer the original question; "What inspired you to buy a Riviera?"... 

A twenty-somethin' with more money than brains... (always wondered if I shoulda bought the '65, but seriously, no regrets)

489584565_Riv_08-21-1.jpeg.ca1e8b87dd84beaea1d228ed58c852d8.jpeg

• Like 9

My first was a 67 i bought when i was 17. It was 1973. What inspired me to buy it was a beautiful custom painted ,slammed to the ground 66 or 67 that was owned by one of the first people to install hydraulics in a low rider or any car for that matter. I ended up installing hydraulics on mine too. Man did i abuse that car! I got my current 65 2005. I was inspired to buy by a CARLS JR.  commercial that showed a group of young people pushing a beautiful teal 65 to CARLS JR. for a burger. I think it came out sometime around the mid to late 90’s.

• Like 3

C454DC2F-489E-42F3-8203-EDB4FDDF235D.jpeg.b98bf2241fc2e2f9bdc8835ae5a63256.jpegI was inspired to buy my current 65 Riviera from owning a 75 Riviera when I was in High School.  My Dad came home from work one day and told me about fellow who had just been transferred to Edmonton from  Vancouver.  He was going through a divorce a needed to sell the Riviera.  It was about 5 years old and a truly great car with a white leather interior.  Found out a few years later, when I blew the engine, that the car had overheated on the trip from Vancouver to Edmonton and the heads were warped.  Found a Gm 455 to replace it with and sold the car a few years later.  Never forgot about how that car floated down the highway at 100mph like it was barely working.  I always told myself I would find another Riviera, which I did last spring,

when I found my 65.  I have mellowed with age, so I don’t plan on blowing up the 401 in the 65!8CE3B64B-2DBF-4902-B8A5-64276CF13B42.jpeg.8b7a6845d2bcfc1d0e7d18494e64f635.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, arnulfo de l.a. said:

My first was a 67 i bought when i was 17. It was 1973. What inspired me to buy it was a beautiful custom painted ,slammed to the ground 66 or 67 that was owned by one of the first people to install hydraulics in a low rider or any car for that matter. I ended up installing hydraulics on mine too. Man did i abuse that car! I got my current 65 2005. I was inspired to buy by a CARLS JR.  commercial that showed a group of young people pushing a beautiful teal 65 to CARLS JR. for a burger. I think it came out sometime around the mid to late 90’s.

Bob, a great story about your experience inspiring you to buy another Riv. I believe the West Coast guys understand lowered suspension. It is amazing how far lowering technology has come over 50 years. I wanted to lower my 63 just so I put on coil springs made to lower the car a little. I like it.

Turbinator

• Like 1

Either of the Vaughan brothers, Stevie or Jimmy, have an influence on your love of the Riviera?

Jimmie Ray Vaughan's 1963

Jimmy Vaughan 1963 Buick Riviera album | Rik Hoving | Custom Car Photo  Archive | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

Stevie Ray Vaughan's chopped 1963 Riviera

2016-04-22_075712.jpg

Kinda strange that they both had Rivieras but their group was name The Fabulous Thunderbirds.

• Like 2

At a month away from my 78th birthday and because of a previous poll, I realize that I'm older the all of you. Well at least 99% of you. At age 19 in 1963 I liked the Riviera but it was a old man's car. However I have a friend that is only two years older than I am, and a car collector like me, but Don has always been an old man. If it had not been for him I doubt that I would ever have a Riv in my collection. About 1980 he bought a gold 1963, which I rode in and on occasion got to drive. I liked it but it was still an old man's car.

That car was sold, but about 1987 he found a dark blue 1963 which I particularly liked. Maybe I had just gotten old enough to appreciate an old man's car, but everyone liked that car. It's funny how a 25yo car takes on a different persona as time goes by. After owning the car for about 8 years he announced that he was going to sell three or four cars. I asked him which ones he had earmarked for sale, to which he replied I'm going to put up nine of the cars and whichever cars sell first will be the ones to go. I told him not to do that way. I told him not to put the Riviera in the mix. My gut feeling was that it would go early. That's when he called me out, asking me that if I liked to car that much why don't I buy it? It must have taken me about ten seconds to consider the situation and say yes. Maybe it was more like hell yes! That's a decision that I have never regretted.

I knew that it was a decision that Don would come to regret. Don's middle name is Lloyd a name that he did not particularly care for, so I named the car Lloyd. Anyone stupid enough to have sold that car deserved having his nose rubbed in it. Whenever he comes through the collection he shields his eyes from Lloyd. On numerous occasions he has approached me about selling the car back to him-like that's ever going to happen! 

Edited by Buffalowed Bill (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I bought my first new car , a red 1964 Chevelle SS 327 , when I was 16 years old. $ 77/month for 36 months . Went through lots of clutches ,tires and girlfriends for the next three years . Got married , new baby and a sweltering 104 degrees in the shade in Dallas one Summer day . Drove past a car lot and there sat a used ‘65 GS - $3,000 and the coldest air conditioner ever imagined ( to that point I had never ridden in an AC car ) . My wife was happy, the baby was happy and I was in heaven with that dual 4 barrel with AC . Fast forward three years - going to med school , no money, and 8 mpg on the Riv. Can’t remember what gas prices were then but whatever it was, was too much .Sold it for $1800. Enter ‘67Volkswagen convertible ! Regretted it ever since . Finally got my second Riviera (white 64) about ten years ago and my 65 GS three years ago as well as a few others  ! It’s an incurable illness  according to my now wife but one I’ll have to live with . Just as importantly though , it’s about the many friends and camaraderie that comes with owning a Riviera . Loved all the stories above - keep them coming ! 
KReed

ROA 14549

D0DB5D68-4F5C-4937-8E15-8B4AF638A188.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 2/4/2022 at 11:05 AM, TexRiv_63 said:

I finally had the opportunity to buy one in 2005, guess what - it was a white 63.

A White "Early '63" like mine!

As a kid, thought I could identify any '50s to '70s American car out of the corner of my eye, especially GM products. I knew nothing of 1st Gen Rivs until I spotted one in a field in upstate NY next to a Corvair Spider and others. It was unlocked with no Owner in sight. So with such styling on the outside, I had to sit in the driver's seat. When I did, awesome inside too. I was hooked!

It was 1978ish?

Canadians would have bought 1st Generation Rivieras if it could be had as a stripper with a 6 Cyl/Powerglide and then I would've known about them sooner!

image.png.82b43fc641f613ea5fb8bbd2764e5987.png

Edited by XframeFX (see edit history)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

When i was 12 years old I talked my Dad into special ordering a 65 Riviera instead of the 65 Lesabre

he intended to order. Ours was white with saddle interior and was built the first week of production

for the 65 models. I washed the car and kept it waxed for the next five years before going off to college, and

I learned to drive in it in 1967, so I've been into 65 Rivieras for 57 years now and counting. My opinion

has never changed.......no other car ever made by anyone can compare with a 65 Riviera! I still keep in touch

with my friends from junior high, and they still talk about my Dad's Riviera. Not long ago one of them referred

to it as a four seat Corvette and pointed out that it was the envy of our neighborhood. 

• Like 6

I had been looking for a classic car for several years. I was wanting something with factory power options and a/c. I bid on several Cadillacs and several 1st Gen Rivieras but they always went over my budget.  I got to the point where I was just going to buy a $3k car and put $10k of work into it to make it what I wanted. My wife pushed me to get something that was ready to drive that as she put it "I am willing to be seen in on date night"

I found an obscure one line add for a 70 Riviera for sale with no pics and hardly any info. Called the guy and made a deal for $15k and drove 500mi to look at the car. I thought it was better in person than in the pics he emailed me, so I bought it and drove it home. That was 6 months ago and I am not disappointed. It needs some work and has some quirks but overall I am very happy and glad my wife talked me into spending more on the front end.

Buick-Lake.jpg

20210914_115028.jpg

70buick99557-4.jpg

20210914_115039.jpg

20210914_115045.jpg

• Like 10

I always like to see '70s in mini-skirts!  The sweepspear molding really looks good with the black inset.  ;)

It looks as though yours was originally built with a vinyl top, but I generally like to see a 'clean' roof on 2nd gen Rivieras...

yeah it had black vinyl top from the factory that was removed before the repaint about 12 years ago, I have been kicking around the idea of throwing a wrap on it to see if I like the look of a vinyl top

The passenger side molding is still the original color match, trying to decide which I like better

20210914_114929.jpg

20210914_114852.jpg

9 minutes ago, BrianM said:

yeah it had black vinyl top from the factory that was removed before the repaint about 12 years ago, I have been kicking around the idea of throwing a wrap on it to see if I like the look of a vinyl top

The passenger side molding is still the original color match, trying to decide which I like better

20210914_114929.jpg

20210914_114852.jpg

Guess I'm old school. I say keep the chrome.

• Like 1

IF you could match the paint, I'd remove the molding that goes around the roof.  When these 2nd generation cars have no vinyl top, I think that they look very sleek.  

1970 Buick Riviera GS | 1970 Buick Riviera GS Coupe - Car Photo and Specs |  Coupe cars, Buick riviera, Buick

When the removed the vinyl top, at least they did remove the chrome strip that goes from the top of the windshield across the A pillar.

Post Image

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BrianM said:

trying to decide which I like better

FWIW, here's my ranking: (1) Black, (2) Chrome and (3) Body color.   I agree with RivNut about the roof molding, but getting rid of it will undoubtedly require some body & paint work...  But, if you do go that route in the future you can also fill the graining in the vent panel between the backglass and deck lid (or replace it with a smooth one from a non-vinyl top car).

Looks good as it sits, though!  I also think you made the right decision to spend a little more up-front for a nicer car - you won't regret it.  ;)

Ever since I was a little kid I've been addicted to cars and unfortunately I am still inflicted with the sickness to this very day (expensive addiction).  My dad always talked about his '65 Gran Sport and how he raised hell in that car after he returned from his 2 tours of duty in Vietnam.  I never saw photographic evident of his car, but anything my dad thought was cool I did too.  Shortly after getting married at the young age of 19 in 2001 and buying a house, I thought it would be a good idea to start searching for my first classic car (eyes where bigger than my paychecks).  I had previously found a '65 Sahara Mist close to where I lived in Salt Lake City, but it was a little out of my price range.  About 3 years later I was at a local car show and and saw an advertisement for a '64 Marlin Blue that a gentlemen was selling for his elderly neighbor.  I immediately called the number and met up with the guy at a storage unit where the elderly woman parked the car after her husband died in 1984.  As soon as he lifted the door on the storage unit I blurted out "I'll take it"  I paid $6000 for it and drove it home a couple days later after he got it up and running.  I unfortunately only had that car for a couple years before selling it prior to moving to Hawaii....flash forward 10 years later I was finally back on the mainland and could afford another classic car.....I immediately started my search for another Riviera and found my current one.  I doubt this will be the last, but man I love these cars!  

OG 64 1.jpg

OG 64 3.jpg

OGRiviera.jpg

Riviera 1.jpg

Riv Downtown.jpg

• Like 8

21 hours ago, EmTee said:

Looks good as it sits, though!  I also think you made the right decision to spend a little more up-front for a nicer car - you won't regret it.

Agree, I like as it is, with the side moulding on the Driver's side, mini skirts and roof moulding👍

I fell in love with the Riviera from day one.  I bought my first (1964) when I was a senior in high school in 1972 for $750.00.  It was diplomat blue with a white custom vinyl interior and turbines.  I kept that car for 24 years!

In total, I have had two 1964’s, three 1965’s, a 1969 and a 1997.

I was at car show in the early 80’s and a guy was making pins with you and your car.  I couldn’t resist!

26AE7252-398F-4592-B3ED-69937846005D.jpeg

Edited by Pat Curran
Update content. (see edit history)
  • Like 8

I bought my ‘69 Riviera in the ‘70s for $800 and still have it. Working at $1.25/hr it took a while to save up. But it was the first time I ever experienced a car with air conditioning and electric windows among other niceties. My ‘66 impala and ‘48 Ford street rod were no match for its mix of luxury and performance. My Riv was quite the thing! — until my mom remarried. He was a successful businessman and had a beautiful blue ‘65 Riviera that he bought new. He and it are long gone but over the years it weighed heavy on me and eventually I just had to have one, either to honor his memory or maybe because it’s just the coolest car ever and he had good taste. 

Incidentally, the first car I ever crashed was his ‘65 Riviera. “Hey Steve, can you do me a favor and drive my Riviera home for me; my friend is done working on it.” Moral of the story — never let your stupid friends fix your brakes for cheap. 

P.S. in case some are left fretting, I shut it down quickly enough, veered off the road and aimed for a small clump of trees for a relatively soft landing. Damage was way less than it could have been.

B6D9E895-FEAE-47FA-BEC8-FBDDE7303D84.jpeg

• Like 4

On 2/9/2022 at 4:02 PM, EmTee said:

FWIW, here's my ranking: (1) Black, (2) Chrome and (3) Body color.   I agree with RivNut about the roof molding, but getting rid of it will undoubtedly require some body & paint work...  But, if you do go that route in the future you can also fill the graining in the vent panel between the backglass and deck lid (or replace it with a smooth one from a non-vinyl top car).

Looks good as it sits, though!  I also think you made the right decision to spend a little more up-front for a nicer car - you won't regret it.  ;)

Because there was a molding that ran under the rear glass, I think that the 1970 Riviera did not have the grain stamped panel like the 66-69 models did.

• Thanks 1