What inspired you to buy a Riviera?

65VerdeGS

What inspired me to buy a Riviera?

Timeless design. Art in motion.

While my first Buick was a '64 Skylark Coupe while attending university in the 70s, my first 'vintage' Buick was a 1960 Electra, again because of it's design. Not a line out of place. Sold it on the AACA Buick forum in 2015 to a collector in Finland - within four hours of posting the ad - to purchase a '63 Riv from an estate sale in Washington state. A polar opposite to my XKE, which I've owned for almost 30 years. Again, timeless design. Art in motion.

IMG_2304.JPG

IMG_7417.jpg

• Like 5

I always enjoyed the appearance of the first gens since I was a teen. A friend of mine bought a 65 from the original owner and let it sit for 10 years. The 65 has always been my oldest sons favorite car. My friend sold their house and was going to sell the 65. I told him 10 years earlier if he ever wanted to sell, I would be interested. ( I had never sen the car) He called me and I went to look. On the way there I thought here I am on my way to look at another piece of crap like I always do. When I saw it I was in awe of its original condition. He told me it would not start. I put points and condenser in it and BAM. I drove it and it was the best driving quietest solid old car I had ever driven. We made a deal that day and I have enjoyed fixing it up the last 4 years.

IMG_2939.JPG

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2022 at 8:05 PM, JanZverina said:

What inspired me to buy a Riviera?

Timeless design. Art in motion.

While my first Buick was a '64 Skylark Coupe while attending university in the 70s, my first 'vintage' Buick was a 1960 Electra, again because of it's design. Not a line out of place. Sold it on the AACA Buick forum in 2015 to a collector in Finland - within four hours of posting the ad - to purchase a '63 Riv from an estate sale in Washington state. A polar opposite to my XKE, which I've owned for almost 30 years. Again, timeless design. Art in motion.

IMG_2304.JPG

IMG_7417.jpg

Jan - your vanity plates cut me up 🤣 !!!  Best is on the Electra: 60PRIUS  🤣

Beautiful Jaguar!  Do you have a special plate on it too?  What does it say?   

So long time listener, first time caller....I just bought my new project (ebay "special"). I love all Riv's period. The original  question though was "What inspired you to buy a Riviera?" For me I decided about 5 years ago I wanted to buy another Boattail. I bought my first one in 1980 after I turned 18 with some money I received from my dad's life insurance from his death when I was 3. I had my 1973 Boattail about 6 weeks before the head gasket went. I owned it long enough to remember how much I loved that ride, that power, that elegance...wow... I always though of it as the ultimate luxury sports car. So now, I bought a 72 and it needs work, but not enough to be a issue. Really excited to finally get this party started!

inspection_image_5.jpeg

• Like 6

Thanks EmTee, what's kind of a mystery about the car is that it came with what appears to have been a Buick Hood Ornament which was broken off. After  contacting Ray Knott and reading what I could on the ROA website, it appears to not have been a factory option for Boattails. I will attach a photo and you can see it up close. Not sure what to do about it.

inspection_image_39.jpeg

It’s a long story..

when I was a kid the route we’d take to the grandparents house had one of those repair/gas stations on the way. There was usually a red boattail parked there.. I would always look for it.

When I became a teenager my interest fixated more on muscle cars.. specifically firebirds. Mom and dad didn’t think having something that fast was a good idea so I ended up with a ‘72 duster.. which ended up being fast anyways. 
   Post college was rough getting on my feet, the duster had to be sold. once I got the hang of adulting I ended up with an El Camino mostly because I’m short and needed a truck. That ended up being fast too. 
      My grandma passed away and guess what, she had a ‘95 Riviera. I ended up with it and although it wasn’t reliable wow what an amazing car! It had a presence, was amazing to drive, and invincible in the weather! Unfortunately the engine blew up and I had to sell it because my demanding day job wouldn’t allow me the time to get it fixed.

I finally ended up established enough to actually get a car I wanted. I had several “dream” cars but could only pick one. Coming home from a vacation my husband and I ended up behind a triple black boattail riviera.. 

“What kind of car is that? wow!” My husband exclaimed.. I smiled and thought to myself “that’s my next car”

I didn’t end up with a black one but red.. like the first one I ever saw!

C87A8385-610B-4A3B-9E77-537611A8711C.jpeg

3B12F20A-4BE6-4C23-A1DD-65AF501ED2F8.jpeg

• Like 7

On 3/3/2022 at 5:35 PM, 65VerdeGS said:

Jan - your vanity plates cut me up 🤣 !!!  Best is on the Electra: 60PRIUS  🤣

Beautiful Jaguar!  Do you have a special plate on it too?  What does it say?   

No vanity plate on the Jag. I chose '6TPRIUS' because not many folks outside BCA may know that the 1960 Buicks were marketed for their economy (!), with various fuel economy runs advertised. Hard to imagine, but remember that Buick's compact cars such as the Special were yet to be introduced, for the 1961 model year. 

I was inspired  to buy my '68 Riv from the Craigslist advertisement I ran across.  I have always been a "Chevy Guy" and I never knew anyone around me that even owned a Buick, so this purchase was an unusual one for me.

The Aqua Mist paint was so eye-catching and the second gen Riv's have what I call the "GM Corporate" look about them, similar in profile to the 68-69 GM A body cars, which I admire very much.

I had to go look at it. I was very impressed with it's roominess and its power.

I do wish I had looked closer to the underside, though. It has some pretty serious rocker panel rust damage that I did not see on my initial, (lying on my belly), inspection.

20220308_114041.jpg.750b7616987400f4181eafd73eb2bd6e.jpg

Had I seen that damage, I would have negotiated for a lower buying price.

None the less, The Aqua Zephyr shows well at car shows and it's a kick in the pants to drive!

Edited by NC1968Riviera (see edit history)
  • Like 6

• 7 months later...
On 2/4/2022 at 3:35 PM, arnulfo de l.a. said:

My first was a 67 i bought when i was 17. It was 1973. What inspired me to buy it was a beautiful custom painted ,slammed to the ground 66 or 67 that was owned by one of the first people to install hydraulics in a low rider or any car for that matter. I ended up installing hydraulics on mine too. Man did i abuse that car! I got my current 65 2005. I was inspired to buy by a CARLS JR.  commercial that showed a group of young people pushing a beautiful teal 65 to CARLS JR. for a burger. I think it came out sometime around the mid to late 90’s.

Dope Iam 16 and I bought a 66 riv this year for my first car. And i’am going to be turning it into a Lowrider too 

My Dad had been a Buick man since 1947 when he switched from the Mercury he was driving.  He had a 53 a 55 then a 60 (he could never afford a Cadillac like his parents, but the Buick was just under the Caddy in the quality of build). He always read car magazines, dreaming of different cars, but with (at that time) four children and a mid manager corporate job, had to restrict his dreams.

Then he saw Mitchell's design of the Riviera.  That was it.    Like Pygmalion looking at Galatia, he was transfixed.  No longer could he think of anything else other than owning one.  He started begging my Mom in the middle of 1962. The begging turned into whining, until in 1964, my Mom got tired of it and said (paraphrasing) "Oh George, just go and buy your damned car!"   He was overjoyed to say the least and took me down to the Buick dealer to take delivery. 

It was the best car he ever had in his life, and I am proud to say that it is comfortably parked in my garage today, this son a first generation lover until the day I die

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, dr914 said:

It was the best car he ever had in his life, and I am proud to say that it is comfortably parked in my garage today, this son a first generation lover until the day I die

Wow, I didn't know your '64 Riv went that far back (to the beginning!) in your family George.

A nice quick history, Thanks!

5 hours ago, dr914 said:

My Dad had been a Buick man since 1947 when he switched from the Mercury he was driving.  He had a 53 a 55 then a 60 (he could never afford a Cadillac like his parents, but the Buick was just under the Caddy in the quality of build). He always read car magazines, dreaming of different cars, but with (at that time) four children and a mid manager corporate job, had to restrict his dreams.

Then he saw Mitchell's design of the Riviera.  That was it.    Like Pygmalion looking at Galatia, he was transfixed.  No longer could he think of anything else other than owning one.  He started begging my Mom in the middle of 1962. The begging turned into whining, until in 1964, my Mom got tired of it and said (paraphrasing) "Oh George, just go and buy your damned car!"   He was overjoyed to say the least and took me down to the Buick dealer to take delivery. 

Cool story! Ironically, MY Dad was a Mercury man until he bought his 65 Riviera, lol. He owned a 1951, 1955, and a 1960 Park Lane that he traded in on the Riviera. Like you, he always told me that the Riviera was among the best cars he ever owned.

What inspired myself to buy my '64.???

At 18 I was looking for a vehicle to buy. There was a DD car with black vinyl interior that was on the Buick dealer showroom floor.

I went in an inquired about it.

Turns out a husband had bought it early on for his wife's birthday which wasn't until the end of August of the '64 model year.

He ordered it extremely early as he was concerned that the production would end at 40K units as in '63. 

Well we all know now that didn't happen. 

As he brought her down to the dealership to look at the '64 on the showroom floor her eye caught a vehicle hidden in the back.

Turns out it  happened to be the 1st. '65 Riv. the dealership had & since it was so early it wasn't displayed. Reason being parked in the rear.

Of course now the original '64 Riv. sat on the showroom floor for a very long time as it was a stripped model with the only option, basically, being a 

3.07 Posi.

I went in to the dealer MANY times  inquiring about this car. 

We finally came to an agreement & I bought it at what I thought, at the time, was a good deal.

I had been saving my paper route/cutting grass money for a long time & finally had enough to put a down payment on a car.

I could have bought an Impala SS, a Chevelle SS, a Ford Rustang, a Torino Fastback, an Olds 442, a GTO, a Corvette & others.

The MAIN reason was insurance. 1/2 of the above cars & 1/3 for the Corvette. For me, at the time, a no brainer.

Turns out that in 95% of the races it was actually FASTER. Not so much power wise, but torque & traction wise.

Most ALL would say I'll smokem' through 1st. & 2nd. but I'll catch you in 3rd. Now they HAD to catch me & being in front, almost ALWAYS, they would lose their concentration & miss a gear. 

Game over.

Once raced a full out street race Corvette, 427/435HP, blue printed, balanced & all the goodies at the time. I was set back by the bet of $1000.00.

So he made the pot sweeter by giving me a 10 car head start.

Believe it or not I won that race. When we met up again later I asked him, how was it possible that I really ended up beating you??? 

Now I had my 7" Racing slicks on, which I still have today. He replied, " I swear I saw the left front come off the ground, which it did, & it flustered me so much & took my concentration off of what I was supposed to be doing that I missed 2nd. & 3rd". 

Not that it was so fast, BUT it did have Traction which many/most of the others did not.

So through racing the Riv. has basically paid for itself.

I've enjoyed the car now for 57+ years. Still enjoy it today!!! Brings back all so MANY memories.

Hopefully I can drive it to Kalamazo this coming year.

Kinda' crude, but I know every stain & I know her name.

Tom T.

Edited by telriv (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've already been on two Power Tours Ed.

I had Gray Baskerville in my  Riv. for a six hour drive. He was known as the father of Hot Rod.

Out of all the Hot Rods & other vehicles he chose my Riv.

The main thing he was interested in knowing at 18yrs. old why did I buy the Riv. 

We had some LONG discussions.

It was on this Power Tour from Fort Devins Mass. to St. Petersburg, Fl. that made up my youngest son, Billy, decide he wanted to repair cars.

Never received any paper in ANY mag.

More good/unbelievable memories.

Tom T.

Edited by telriv (see edit history)
  • Like 2