Does anyone know the story behind this picture?

Mark Huston

I just saw this picture for the first time on a Facebook group.  There was no context or car identification.  A couple of posters identified the car as a 1938 Chrysler possibly an Imperial and a convertible.  However, no one knew anything about the location or the story behind the picture.   Can anyone here fill in the blanks?

BA243D7B-217B-401F-8A78-A35791FA5A9C.jpeg

Aside from all the comedy attempts... 

I, too, saw this on Facebook today, and wondered if it was indeed originally a convertible. Also, this photo angle makes it unclear to me whether it has the shorter hood I've seen on photos of 38 Chrysler Royal convertibles, or the longer hood seen on Imperial convertibles. I'm curious what it once was, and if anyone knows the backstory behind the photo? 

• Like 1

A year or so ago I got hung up on this diver guy that was salvaging sunken cars around the northwest on You Tube.

Interesting watch.

Several stolen, among other mystery finds.

He used air bags to float them.

3 hours ago, oldcarfudd said:

If there's a skeleton in the trunk, a DNA analysis may show it's Judge Crater.

Thinking on those lines, too.  If located around Chicago and skeletal remains are found in the trunk, guarantee 'ole Al Capone could be involved.

1 hour ago, JACK M said:

He used air bags to float them.

Amazing what airbags can lift. Key to using air bags is to raise the vehicle slowly. Here is a friends Amphicar that sunk off the back of his houseboat, tied it up to his houseboat for the night, came out with his morning coffee and the tie line was straight down in the water.

7-9 AmphicarDoesntlookgood.jpg

7-10 AmphicarFirstlookinsid.jpg

7-14 pointing_finger.jpg

27 minutes ago, Jack Bennett said:

Too bad it was less of a amphicar than more of a sinkacar. If the owner put a ad on Craigslist to sell it, I wonder if he/she would include the reason it was being sold with a salvage title?

That car was put back on the road by the owner and survives to this day.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jack Bennett said:

I’m grappling on how to aptly respond to a car, maybe (?) 1938, possibly (?) a Chrysler, maybe (?) a Imperial, shown in a Facebook (?) post, made when (?) by whom (?) where (?) and why (?) without a bit of “attempted” humor. It has hovered in the upper 20’s and lower 30’s here for the past week. The snow turns to rain, freezes, and turns back to snow. It is dark at 4:30 PM, too early to go to bed, nothing on TV, and too much work to stoke the stove in the woodwork shop, and too cold to work in the garage.

For a full year now I’ve worn a mask and heard about nothing other than the number of deaths, and new shots, surrounding the COVID pandemic. I want to drive my old cars and take my dog to the park. Instead I am stuck on the couch trying to think up a serious reply to a post, probably made for entertainment anyway. Since we neither know where the car is, when it was put there, or how old the Facebook page is I must assume there is no suggestion implied that I am expected to go recover it.

And the video of the guy pulling cars sunken in the river is really entertaining….and even hints at a tad of morbidity.

Edited 2 hours ago by Jack Bennett (see edit history)

Have you thought of calling "Bring a Brew" and having them deliver a few kegs to last till springtime?

• Like 1