classifieds pet peeve

Buick35

I hate spell checking but I also proof read and use the edit function if needed.I find a big turn off in advertising a car is spelling,I don't know why.People write breaks instead of brakes,ect. Dose this bother anybody else?Just wondering.Greg.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Buick35 said:

I hate spell checking but I also proof read and use the edit function if needed.I find a big turn off in advertising a car is spelling,I don't know why.People write breaks instead of brakes,ect. Dose this bother anybody else?Just wondering.Greg.

Yes, it does bother me.  But I paid attention in school.  How 'bout when people use ect. instead of etc. 😁  Double spaces after periods are also good to include...

Edited by KURTRUK (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Buick35 said:

Dose??

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

My list is long. Breaks is near the top. Axel is a man's name. Fellows instead of Felloe though felly is an alternate term but rarely used. Front windshield is another. The one in the rear is a backlight. Calling wheels "rims" drives me nuts. Does your car have a steering rim?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

One of my biggest pet peeves in automotive verbiage, regardless of language (or at least 3-4 I communicate with somewhat regularly), is not limited to advertising or marketing. It is a term called "Emergency brake" (???) or "E-brake" (???), both in spoken or written commentary.

In past +/-40 years I've driven probably 1000+ motor vehicles of all sorts and seen countless more, but can't really recall driving or seeing one with such devise or feature and therefor I assume (I know, I know...) anyone using such term can't or shouldn't be taken seriously as a real car guy/gal/person. 

Or perhaps it just me, since I never got past 8th grade and my last grade average was (allegedly) worse than anyone's ever in the history of the school district, but I hope it still stands as the "record". 

OTOH, since English is not my first (or even second) language and having never received an ounce of formal education for it, ... maybe that's it ?

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

3 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

What vehicle carries dead people?

What company made special shifters?

So, a special shifter in a vehicle that carries dead people is a hearse Hurst?  ;)

• Haha 2

I love 4 wheel-drive trucks with a wench on the front, don't you?

And what does, "Needs restored" mean?  The needs the vehicle had have been restored?  Or it needs to be restored?

I know some of this stems from when classified ads charged for every word, so brevity was important.  But now that time has mostly passed, but you still see the same spare use of words.

• Like 2

Ectually there was a time when wheels were mutipart and the "rim" was just one of them. Ever here of a "split rim" ? Lately this seems to have returned. And "Front Windshield" makes sense with a dual cowl phaeton.

And the second was George's name. Another that has passed into lexicon is Crapper which is a proper name (Thomas) and not scatological.

However contrary to popular belief, "George" is not the name of every pulman porter.

Just because I like computer cars doesn't mean...

Nice to see I'm not the lone grammar/spelling critic.

Agreed, "breaks" tops the list but let's not forget:

Manuel transmission

Duel exhaust

Convertable

For sell

Camero

Couger

Malibo

Bettle

Eldorado is one word when applied to Cadillac, not two.

There are no Coupe de Ville convertibles.

Hearse not Hurst.

A rusted out 6 cylinder Mustang is not "Eleanor"

If you have to add the words "muscle car" to the ad, it probably isn't.

I'm interested in pictures of the car for sale, not grand kids, dogs, cats or a fat chick sprawled on the hood.

Just sayin'

55 minutes ago, Buick35 said:

Yes, it dose.  🤣

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, GregLaR said:

...I'm interested in pictures of the car for sale, not grand kids, dogs, cats or a fat chick sprawled on the hood...

and a description of the car, not a complete history of the marque back to when it was horse-drawn.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I know it is a modern popular word to use for just about everything but it just annoys me to read something in a car wasn't restored, but "refurbished" .

So you will refurbish the inside of the cars ashtrays because they look a bit "used" or refurbish the motor with new pistons etc. Don't have the chrome replated have it refurbished. Huh? 🥺

Is the word 'restore'  out of date now, not in fashion, or just to old fashioned to use?

Don't forget the "shinny" paint! 

I read a lot of things and wonder how people manage to make it though life. You can tell when someone hits the wrong letter as opposed to not understanding the basic workings of the English language. 

• Like 1

Love all the replies.  I would like to add apostrophes.  They indicate that something belongs to something/someone as in John's.  OR they indicate that something is missing as in '42 which means 1942 or 1842 etc.  If written as 42' it means 42 feet long.

I also hate if interested call/contact etc.  

Keep safe aficionados.

4 minutes ago, Tinindian said:

Love all the replies.  I would like to add apostrophes.  They indicate that something belongs to something/someone as in John's.  OR they indicate that something is missing as in '42 which means 1942 or 1842 etc.  If written as 42' it means 42 feet long.

I also hate if interested call/contact etc.  

Keep safe aficionados.

Like Wily's. Ol' Willy owned a lot of cars. Try to make the argument that is pronounced "Willis" then you're in a loosing battle

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CarlLaFong said:

Try to make the argument that is pronounced "Willis" then you're in a loosing battle.

Carl, I think Willys won the battle:  The name is indeed pronounced "Willis," not "Willees."

Here's a Willys ad, and the name is pronounced twice just in the first 15 seconds.

But anyone who appreciates old cars never loses a battle:  You win every day you own one.

• Like 2

Another grammar tip from a past newsletter editor:

A name is NEVER made plural with an apostrophe,

whether it's the name of a car or the name of a person.

Sometimes seen:  The Williams' collected Nash's and Hudson's.

Corrected:  The Williamses collected Nashes and Hudsons.

1 hour ago, CarlLaFong said:

My list is long. Breaks is near the top. Axel is a man's name. Fellows instead of Felloe though felly is an alternate term but rarely used. Front windshield is another. The one in the rear is a backlight. Calling wheels "rims" drives me nuts. Does your car have a steering rim?

Just for you:

1 minute ago, ted sweet said:

are we really this bored?

Sadly, yes. 

Nearly on topic:  I once found a spare tire for my suburban while searching Craigslist for home brew supplies.  The tire was barley used!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I'm sorry guys...the worst is punctuation. Specifically, lack of it. Here's an example I found after 20 seconds of internet search:

1963 COUPE NO RESERVE NO ENGINE OR TRANS ALL OTHER PARTS THERE THIS CAR SAT FOR 40YEARSSELLING NO RESERVE BODY IS GOOD MAKE A NICE HOT ROD RESTO ROD PUT YOUR MOTOR IN HAS ALL THE OTHER PARTS FENDER SKIRTS IN TRUNK BOX OF PART BAGED AND TAGGED DRIVE SHAFT ECT NEEDS CARPET SEAT COVERSDASH IS GOOD GOING TO SELL TO THE HIGH BIDDER NO RESERVE BID TO OWN CALL ME IF YOU HAVE A QUESTION --- --- --- BARRY PATTON NO RESERVE CLEAR TITLE PAY FOR CAR CAN STORE FOR 14DAYS NO CHARGE

I guess no periods for three word sentences can be deciphered fairly easy, but wouldn't you like to communicate in sentences longer than three words? Trying to figure out syntax like: "....motor good posi rear end...." is like trying to figure out the vocalizations of a chimpanzee. So is it the motor that's good? Or the posi rear end?

• Like 1

I believe it was Winston Churchill who called many of the above examples "terminological inexactitudes".  Incidentally, colour is spelt coloUr regardless of what spell check tries to tell you. 

Edited by dictator27 (see edit history)

5 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Carl, I think Willys won the battle:  The name is indeed pronounced "Willis," not "Willees."

Here's a Willys ad, and the name is pronounced twice just in the first 15 seconds.

But anyone who appreciates old cars never loses a battle:  You win every day you own one.

Thanks for that video clip. I was never entirely sure about the pronunciation. My Dad, who died two years ago at the age of 98, always told me it was pronounced "Willis" because he remembered them from when he was a kid, but all those baby boomers who spent close to $100 grand on their fiberglass replica '41 hot rod coupes couldn't be wrong, could they?

4 hours ago, JamesR said:

Thanks for that video clip. I was never entirely sure about the pronunciation. My Dad, who died two years ago at the age of 98, always told me it was pronounced "Willis" because he remembered them from when he was a kid, but all those baby boomers who spent close to $100 grand on their fiberglass replica '41 hot rod coupes couldn't be wrong, could they?

I think it might have started earlier,  but I always say "Willis" and nobody knows what I'm talking about.     Another one is Horch pronounced by everyone "Horsh" when it is really "Horck".

"Car needs restored" as opposed to "Car needs to be restored" or "Car needs restoration".

• Like 3

I take it the guys complaining about spelling here have never seen how people text I guess. 

Here is an add that is self explanatory that will take your mind off spell checking. 

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/hamilton/floor-jack/1502924826?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=gmail

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

This is somewhat car related as I've been trying to buy a large lot of literature off this guy.  Two days in a row he was suppose to contact me via email to meet him and both days went MIA, though I still hung around my computer and kept checking it, until I finally gave up after 5PM.  This was after each morning sending me a message, that he would get back to me later that day with a time to meet.

I have several responses from him all like this one below.  Now a little part of me really thought it was a scam to start with and I felt like I was going to get rolled somewhere, but it's probably legit.  I told him I'm pretty much ready to just walk away from the deal at this point.  I'm not starving for literature and 5G is some pretty good money to invest when buying wholesale, especially since he hasn't been able to provide with any photos of what I will be getting.  It's a long story but it's some stuff he inherited from his father and his brother is holding it as collateral for money he loaned him.  I pay him,  he hands the brother his money, then I get to go home with the literature. 

Anyone that has ever bought parts or large lots of small items know it takes a long time to recoup your investment, as unlike a car most things sell for $5-$10.    

"Morn8ng Randy, up for work to finish off the roof finalky, I get what your saying 100% and I don't blame you, it's just that the whole damn issue was him going to the hospital n than when I was suppose to contact you back me n my wife were having it out because she tells me I'm never spending time with her cause I'm either fixing things in n around the house or playing with the kids but us men already know it's the hormone problem females have when they are pregnet, it's all about them n we cannot argue cause we cannot win so I left everything alone n just spent every m8nute with her to calm her down. Now there is not no trick for my brother and what army brother?? What I told you is I'm just playing it off that you are a friend of our Dads that I only know and that that is the reason I'm giving it to you for so cheap n it's 9nly because I want to give him his loan back n give the rest to my wife to pay off a credit depth we have n a couple other things, and what I said was I'm going to introduce you to him at some other point in time so you guys can work a deal on his lot, that's all, the deal you guys make is on both of you, now my wife contacted the other guy and he's no longer interested because he bought m9re than enough stuff over the last past week n a half but will contact us when h3s available to buy again so I'm really stuck now n my brother is really going to freak out knowing he loaded his truck back up again and now cannot pay him what I promised him so I really don't know what to do n n I feel terabyte on both ends. How about this than, how about we either meet up after 4 on any day of this week or just meet up on the weekend n I'll travel to Saratoga n have my brother meet up with us there n we will just get it done there somewhere n be done with it all, reason I'm saying past 4 is because all this week we have pediatric appointments, n other issues booked this whole week n I don't want to give you a time n can't make it so I believe past 4 is good time but the weekend is good cause we can do it early n I'll travel to Saratoga n meet you closer to you, I'll contact my brother n let him know, I'll contact you when I'm done working today so we can figure this all out, I'm asking you to please don't let me down, I have put this all together for over a week n my word to my brother means everything to me n I need to pay him, I'm letting it all go so cheap to you cause I figured I'd do the right thing by you for having you wait so give me a chance and help me out Randy, my wife n I really need this help n I just want this out of my hands for once n be done with it, thsnks"

This thread is awesome, I have been waiting for years to post my item to rant about for years.  Being a 1930’s Ford enthusiast, the best restored interiors were done by, or supplied by: LeBaron Bonney 

NOT:

Le Baron Bonney 

LeBaron Bonnie

interior by Bonney

Bonnie’s Interior

LeBonney

Bonney Lee Baron

...and yes, you guessed it:  Lebron Bonney