classifieds pet peeve

Buick35

So, I was perusing the Webb this morning and ran across and ad that the headline said Car (brand xx) for sale $27000.

The text of the ad said something like $30000 firm. don't waste my time.

Found this one today, talk about ridiculous...

Vehicle Description

Gateway Classic Cars of Orlando is proud to offer this stunning 1930 Ford Model A 82B Pickup. As you stare at the chrome from front to back your eyes will be glazed over like you just started at the sun. With a glistening two-tone paint job stacking Hunter Green over a black base you will have people snapping their necks to get a peek at what is cruising by. Powering this 1930 Ford Model A pickup for sale is a stout and mighty Flathead 4-cylinder powerhouse! Backing the 4-cylinders is a manual 3-speed transmission. As you crawl into the cabin of your new Truck you can rest on a plush vinyl bench seat. Taking this gem to the local car shows will be a joy, everyone will want to stop and see this classic truck, be prepared for spectators to want a picture with your new truck! 
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, JD in CA said:

Found this one today, talk about ridiculous...

Vehicle Description

Gateway Classic Cars of Orlando is proud to offer this stunning 1930 Ford Model A 82B Pickup. As you stare at the chrome from front to back your eyes will be glazed over like you just started at the sun. With a glistening two-tone paint job stacking Hunter Green over a black base you will have people snapping their necks to get a peek at what is cruising by. Powering this 1930 Ford Model A pickup for sale is a stout and mighty Flathead 4-cylinder powerhouse! Backing the 4-cylinders is a manual 3-speed transmission. As you crawl into the cabin of your new Truck you can rest on a plush vinyl bench seat. Taking this gem to the local car shows will be a joy, everyone will want to stop and see this classic truck, be prepared for spectators to want a picture with your new truck! 

I like good descriptions, but they need to give specifics

about the CAR--not the history of the model and wordy drivel.

The ad could be rewritten as follows and say almost as much--

and waste less of the reader's time:

1930 Ford Model A 82B pickup.  Excellent chrome, hunter green and

black 2-tone paint.  4 cylinders with manual 3-speed transmission,

vinyl bench seat.  A joy for you and others at car shows!

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Agreed. That's really annoying. A copy/paste from Wikipedia and then two or three sentences about the exact car. There's a large dealer that does that and I catch myself wading through the crap every time and finding only the barest of details at the very bottom. I presume it's a way of avoiding liability so you don't say anything a buyer will hold you to in the future and the auction companies are famous for it, but it's nevertheless bothersome. I try to give a little context for the cars I'm selling, but then I focus on the details of that exact car. I've been accused of writing too much and that it's a waste of space, but I can't imagine buying a car and not wanting to know all you can. I'd rather have too much rather than a Wikipedia entry followed by, "This car is black. There's an engine and a steering wheel. Someone drove it for years, you can too. Probably but maybe you'll have to service it first. The tires have air in them, we checked. A good car if you like cars like this. Not many left but we didn't count how many so maybe a lot, who knows?"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes, anyone who's interested in buying a '53 Studebaker Starliner probably has a good idea of the historical significance of the car. They don't need a lesson on it. Or an Avanti or a Hudson Hornet or a Mustang or whatever. That's a major put off for me - you get a history lesson, but they don't even tell you if the car runs or not (which is it's own pet peeve by itself.)

• Like 1

At least with Facebook advts you get a name and they usually reply. Personally need a VIN before will even consider a car. In one CL case study discovered the VIN elsewhere and the same pictures in a 2017 advt. Rare cars are often discoverable despite a lack of info in the advt. Do prefer to deal with an individual.

The seller with a run-down, mess of a badly over-priced car who advertises it with the threat that if he doesn't get his inflated price, he'll take it to the crusher.  Bets are he's very disappointed when he sees how little he got at the junkyard for it.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

The seller with a run-down, mess of a badly over-priced car who advertises it with the threat that if he doesn't get his inflated price, he'll take it to the crusher.  Bets are he's very disappointed when he sees how little he got at the junkyard for it.    

Don't forget the resto-mod threat:   "If you don't buy this from me,  I'll pour a bunch of money in to it that I'll never get back out".

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, alsancle said:

Don't forget the resto-mod threat:   "If you don't buy this from me,  I'll pour a bunch of money in to it that I'll never get back out".

I also don't get why people don't fix minor stuff. There's plenty of cars where the listing says "Needs brakes" or "Needs new fuel filter". Why not spend an afternoon fixing things that would help you find a buyer? Unless there's more it needs than new brake shoes, of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AL1630 said:

I also don't get why people don't fix minor stuff. 

Another one:  "Air conditioning needs charged."

("Needs charging" or "needs a charge" is correct English.)

Well, why not charge it then, and offer the buyer the

enticing luxury of cool fresh air on a hot summer day?

I think it's possibly because there's more work to be done

than merely charging the system.

2 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Another one:  "Air conditioning needs charged."

("Needs charging" or "needs a charge" is correct English.)

Well, why not charge it then, and offer the buyer the

enticing luxury of cool fresh air on a hot summer day?

I think it's possibly because there's more work to be done

than merely charging the system.

As an AC guy... I assure you.... refrigerant is not a fuel that gets used up... if the system needs more of it... it is because the system lost it somehow. 

I do not agree with doing r12 to r134a conversions. I have a limited supply of r12 and am happy to share it with friends in the hobby that are willing to make their system leak free. Generally, I am too busy to want the work but am happy to put some pressure on the system and help identify the issue... with the warning that it cannot be used at all between the test and a proper fix.   So far my dad was willing to let me do the work... everyone else wants to put some gas in and see how long it lasts. 

On 6/6/2020 at 2:07 AM, John_S_in_Penna said:

Am I being pedantic. Should it be “Hunter Green” or “Hunter green”?

Would it be best to state the colour first, then “ Excellent chrome ”?

Perhaps it would be best to have both statements “ Excellent chrome. A joy for you and others at car shows!” to “ensure the reader is left with several positive, uplifting emotive thoughts, enough to make them respond immediately, if not sooner.” *

* “How to successfully sell junk and other stuff” by Rodney 

Argh, I gotta get up out of bed and do stuff !
Rodney 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

6 hours ago, JD in CA said:

Uh oh.....typo in my comment above, “binoculars”....iPad auto corrected it for some reason to bono....and I didn’t spell check!!!!

Autocorrect can be helpful, but sometimes frustrating, as I'm sure u2 would agree. 

Some of my pet peeves include the old car "JUST" ads. Great car but in a million pieces "JUST" needs assembly. From long indoor storage includes new floor & trunk pans "JUST" need welded in.  Excellent original car "JUST" needs new paint. Includes new interior "JUST" needs installed. Vehicles are already overpriced and they still need 5 grand of additional work. And then there's the phrase "NEEDS SCUFF  & SHOOT" which implies you can have the thing painted in a couple of hours! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JD in CA said:

...how about this main photo for the advert for 1933 Ford......

maybe it’s a social distancing thing??  Hey man, hand me the bono so I can check the paint job..

1933-Ford-Coupe

This gives a whole new meaning to a 30 footer, more like a 100 footer 

20 hours ago, AL1630 said:

"Needs brakes" or "Needs new fuel filter".

20 hours ago, AL1630 said:

I also don't get why people don't fix minor stuff.

Sellers don't want to open that can of worms.

We all know what happens when we pull that first drum, or try and do that minor carb adjust, or pull that fuel filter for that matter.

These are the exact reasons he is selling his heap. He ran it into the ground and its time for some attention.

1 hour ago, padgett said:

or maybe is just "Totally Mechanically Inept" (C). I know some people like that.

Raises hand. I am one of those people. I have health related circumstances, but I still feel like a total failure for not being able to do even the simple things. It's going to haunt me for the rest of my life. And people wonder why I'm never happy...

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, JD in CA said:

Uh oh.....typo in my comment above, “binoculars”....iPad auto corrected it for some reason to bono....and I didn’t spell check!!!!

97777512_10219610824995609_4376119985798381568_n.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 5/26/2020 at 7:06 AM, JD in CA said:

This thread is awesome, I have been waiting for years to post my item to rant about for years.  Being a 1930’s Ford enthusiast, the best restored interiors were done by, or supplied by: LeBaron Bonney 

NOT:

Le Baron Bonney 

LeBaron Bonnie

interior by Bonney

Bonnie’s Interior

LeBonney

Bonney Lee Baron

...and yes, you guessed it:  Lebron Bonney

On 5/26/2020 at 7:06 AM, JD in CA said:

...found another one today on Cars On Line that I have never seen before:

This car has very nice Lebanon bottin interior.

• Thanks 1

On 5/25/2020 at 4:41 PM, Buick35 said:

I hate spell checking but I also proof read and use the edit function if needed.I find a big turn off in advertising a car is spelling,I don't know why.People write breaks instead of brakes,ect. Dose this bother anybody else?Just wondering.Greg.

I hate poor punctuation, spelling errors, etc. It bothers me and make me wonder. 

(Sarcasm if you didn't know) :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Then there is Southern Maryland Stuffed Ham at Christmas. Yum! Might need to import some......😂

If I don't sale it I'm gunna keep it! Even worse is the " It's going to the crusher if not sold by Monday"!  Holding your own car hostage is a tactic that seldom works.

So if the crusher is going to pay you maybe $400, why not advertise for $900 instead of $4,000?

• Like 2

On 5/25/2020 at 8:54 PM, CHuDWah said:

and a description of the car, not a complete history of the marque back to when it was horse-drawn.

On 5/25/2020 at 8:38 PM, GregLaR said:

a fat chick sprawled on the hood.

A common thing on Facebook Marketplace by dealers, especially busty broads.