classifieds pet peeve

Buick35

English is a marvelously creative language but before it can be misused artistically, it must be understood.

My pet peeve is something I heard first in the Orient but somehow migrated here. That is when served in a restaurant the waiters says "Enjoy". And I always thing "enjoy what ?" Of course few realize what the words really mean, my curse is "decimate" used to mean "wiped out". Not quite.

And to me it will allways be "Willihs".

But Americans love acronyms, problem is that every sub-culture has their own. At least it isn't thieves cant.

ps I have a speel checker, misspelled words have a red underline.

1 hour ago, padgett said:

But Americans love acronyms, problem is that every sub-culture has their own. At least it isn't thieves cant.

ps I have a speel checker, misspelled words have a red underline.

The wrong word spelled correctly is the true evil. 

15 hours ago, dictator27 said:

I believe it was Winston Churchill who called many of the above examples "terminological inexactitudes".  Incidentally, colour is spelt coloUr regardless of what spell check tries to tell you. 

Both colour and color are correct.  The former is preferred in Sir Winston's country, the latter in the US.

3 hours ago, JetSmooth61 said:

When looking at classified ad photos, the close-up of someone's thumb attempting to cover the license plate is annoying.  Also, I've seen people write "weather" when they mean "whether".

You will get guys on here justifying the license plate thumb. A clear plate means some guy in Russia is going crack the local RMV database and get his address, fly to the U.S. and steal his 76 Pacer.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, CarlLaFong said:

Does your car have a steering rim?

Fords did have optional RIm Blow, a feature where the horn switch was all around the rim of the steering wheel. So Ford thought you had a steering rim!

Correction, all the majors had Rim Blow option, even AMC! I've only seen it on Ford products.😄

1 hour ago, padgett said:

But Americans love acronyms,

You ought to work with the Military! Google is your friend trying to make sense of some sentences.😆

16 hours ago, CarlLaFong said:

Like Wily's. Ol' Willy owned a lot of cars. Try to make the argument that is pronounced "Willis" then you're in a loosing battle

...not to mention a losing one.  😉

I confess to using the "Willees" pronunciation although I know it's incorrect.  To me, it sounds better, especially when combined with Jeep.

Yes it bothers me.

First on my list is the abbreviation for et cetera, which is also spelled etcetera.  Notice the first 3 letters in the spelling of this term are etc and not ect.  Yes ETC. is the abbreviation for etcetera, and not ECT.

Some others are body styles.  If you are selling a car do some research and call it what it really is.

1.  Fordor for a four door sedan other than a Ford.

2.  Tudor for a two door coach other than a Ford.

3.  Calling a Coach a two door sedan.

4.  ECT.  Sorry i had to do it.

5.  Over use of the word RARE.

6.  Calling a 1933 Chevrolet a Master Deluxe or Eagle Master.  In 1933 Chevrolet started out making only Eagles, then sometime around February of 33 they changed the model name to Master when the more ecenomical Standard model also came on the scene.  That said, they should be called either Eagles or Masters and it depends on when the car was made.  I believe the  Master Deluxe came out in 1937.

Edited by Vila (see edit history)

3 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Fords did have optional RIm Blow, a feature where the horn switch was all around the rim of the steering wheel. So Ford thought you had a steering rim!

Correction, all the majors had Rim Blow option, even AMC! I've only seen it on Ford products.😄

Sometimes I'm sorry that I bring things up. All steering wheels have a rim just as all road wheels have rims as well. I think I want to jump off of the wheel of The Grand Canyon if this lunacy continues

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Nice to see I'm not the lone grammar/spelling critic.

Agreed, "breaks" tops the list but let's not forget:

Manuel transmission

Duel exhaust

Convertable

Manuel transmission is one made in Mexico.

Duel exhaust is two cars side by side or a_send to a_send revving the engines to see who has better sounding pipes.

Convertables are well known in the bond market.

Don't know if anyone mentioned it, but the absolute worst (like squeaky chalk on a blackboard) is when someone says or types V.I.N. number. It drives me insane like I wanna punch the moron. Even some of the so called experts here call it that.

For the record:

A V.I.N. is a Vehicle Identification Number.

So what the hell is a Vehicle Identification Number number?

Edited by George Smolinski (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, George Smolinski said:

...the absolute worst is when someone says or types V.I.N. number.

"I went to the ATM machine (Automatic Teller Machine machine)

to get money to buy a car.  Its VIN number is ABC123456.  It needs

new breaks and I need to replace the duel exhaust."

• Thanks 1

My pet peeve is a lack of basic information about the vehicle for sale. We sometimes see ads here on the forum where, after a lengthy ramble, no price is listed.  I got a chuckle reading the attached ad, it has a price, but is lacking just about every other detail, including the year and model.  Maybe the ads need a form where one needs to fill in the basics before it will post?

1737316498_CarAd.jpg.13154a3d02f2288a7de7ddb34f4b4325.jpg

Here's another misused word in ads:

"The car has a few rust and mechanical issues."

ISSUES are things you discuss or debate;

PROBLEMS are things you solve.

A seller might want to make his car sound a little

better, so he says it has mere "issues."

Do we just want to talk about the rust?

No.  Large or small, these are problems.

3 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Here's another misused word in ads:

"The car has a few rust ... issues."

Do we just want to talk about the rust?

No.  Large or small, these are problems.

Technically, "rust" (also commonly referred as corrosion or oxidation) is not necessarily a "problem" (in a motor vehicle) since there are many levels, interpretations or perceptions of it.

Even many (most ?) brand new cars/trucks/etc in past 100+ years have been known to have some levels of it by the time they leave their respective manufacturing facilities.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)

11 hours ago, Dave Mellor NJ said:

One of my peeves is whenever somebody is giving a price and they say"only" or "just" right before the price it's always exhorbitant.

I've noticed that too, Dave:

Something like, "1975 AMC Pacer, needs work.  Only $15,000."

If the seller needs to tell the buyer that the price is good, his price is too high.

Buyers can judge for themselves if a price is truly a good one.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

I remember a car advertised  a long time ago for "3,000 bananas" and someone showed up with a truckload.

Bottom line, in today's confused market, no-one knows what a "good" price is anymore, only thing I know is nothing is selling: I see the same advts for weeks now. Of course what hurts is an advt for a car that is impossible to get a response from the seller and then find the pictures are at least three years old. Anyone else seeing anything like this ?

I always find it curious when someone puts something up for sale looking like hell and yet in the trunk is a set of shiny hubcaps. And another favorite is also 4 flat tires, but over here we have a new set for it (and the cost of putting tires on at maybe 100.00 tops puts the owner out 5K plus in lost profit if they had made car a little better looking - matched to do you know how hard it is to deal with something with 4 flat tires or ... = your personal boat anchor collection). 

r/forwardsfromgrandma - Darn autocorrect

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

I suppose the true cardinal sin and failure to follow simple direction, has to be when someone posts a car question in the Forum Application Support Forum!

😄