classifieds pet peeve

Buick35

On 9/5/2022 at 4:01 PM, 30DodgePanel said:

I have no room to partake in this discussion, I just find it funny to see that you've edited your post. :)  

Sorry, that's just my way of making light of the subject, hope you're not offended by it ;)

Absolutely not offended. I’m too thick-skinned (or maybe too dense?). My edit was to call out spell check because posters refer to it often. As can be seen from my post, misused (but real) words are not caught. So much for technology.😉

• Like 1

On 9/3/2022 at 8:42 AM, ron hausmann said:

...At car shows, nearly everyone calls my side seats either “mother in law” seats or “suicide seats”. Those terms are wrong both from a functional standpoint and historical standpoint. Those side seats were correctly called “ OUTRIGGER SEATS “ by Kissel. And nobody is known to have died in them. And a mother in law seat is a small seat behind the driver, not aside. People, please use proper terms. !!!...

OK, those are outrigger seats and maybe nobody died in them.  But while I agree with using factory terminology, a seat that protrudes beyond the fenders and lacks even a seat belt sure looks like a suicide seat!  Wonder if the mother-in-law seat originated the term "back seat driver?" 😁

On 9/3/2022 at 9:40 AM, John_S_in_Penna said:

Interestingly, such a small seat behind the driver

was also known as a rumble seat...

In the Commonwealth, it's known as a dicky seat.  Dunno if that has to do with activity that supposedly took place in it. 😉

While we're on the subject, a peeve is misuse of business coupe and opera coupe.  Some marques used those terms but others didn't.  Yet it seems they get applied to any fixed roof passenger vehicle with one seating row (not counting mother-in-law/rumble/dicky seat).

On 9/3/2022 at 11:20 AM, Max4Me said:

...But let’s be honest, as annoying as these errors can be, this is a site about “vintage” cars. We are not “Grammar Nazis.”...

I'm no grammarian but I take pride in trying to know and use correct grammar and spelling.  I spellcheck, proofread and ask The Duck if I'm unsure about a word.  But still, an error occasionally sneaks in (oops, ended with a preposition! 😁)  With a couple exceptions, I don't grammar-nazi (yeah, I made it a verb).  I've seen posts in which the wrong word changed the meaning to the exact opposite of what the poster intended.  I usually can decipher it from context, but I may politely point out the mistake.  More often, if there's something humorous about the error, I may poke some good-natured fun at it.

On 9/3/2022 at 11:20 AM, Max4Me said:

...So, when you pull up your pants do you zip up your zipper, or secure your interlocking slide fastener? Who cares as long as you do it.

I preach using factory terminology but admittedly don't always do so.  It may not matter what's on your fly (trousers, not insect 😉), but it may with your vintage car.  Let's say you're restoring a 1944 Whatsitmobile that's missing the reverse oscillating framistan.  So you advertise for "that backward swingy thing."  Who knows what you'll get?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

I preach using factory terminology but admittedly don't always do so.  It may not matter what's on your fly (trousers, not insect 😉), but it may with your vintage car.  Let's say you're restoring a 1944 Whatsitmobile that's missing the reverse oscillating framistan.  So you advertise for "that backward swingy thing."  Who knows what you'll get?

For the most part I don't disagree with you, but there may be times "that backward swingy thing" might be more helpful. Depending on what part of the country you're from, you might have a roundabout, a traffic circle or that *&^%$# thing nobody knows how to use properly; a freeway passing lane or a fast lane; a freeway or a turnpike. Further, I think of people in other countries that have different names than we do. If I were European and asked for a wing for that 1944 Whatsitmobile, even though I used the correct term, what would Americans think I wanted? (no fair Googling it!😇). 

I absolutely agree with you about using correct and appropriate language as often as possible. I am a career educator and taught high school English for a time. I used the example that if I were an employer looking at the resumés of two highly-qualified applicants with one application well-written while the other is riddled with grammar, punctuation, spelling and so on errors, who will get the job? 

As for the "reverse oscillating framistan" are you sure it isn't actually the differentiated hertinizer module? (Sorry, couldn't resist.😁)

12 hours ago, Max4Me said:

For the most part I don't disagree with you, but there may be times "that backward swingy thing" might be more helpful. Depending on what part of the country you're from, you might have a roundabout, a traffic circle or that *&^%$# thing nobody knows how to use properly; a freeway passing lane or a fast lane; a freeway or a turnpike. Further, I think of people in other countries that have different names than we do. If I were European and asked for a wing for that 1944 Whatsitmobile, even though I used the correct term, what would Americans think I wanted? (no fair Googling it!😇)...

It really doesn't matter what you call a road as long as your audience knows where it goes.  But I think auto parts require more specificity, including year, make, model, part number, etc.  Your example proves that point.  If you ask for a wing in America, you'll get this

th?id=OIP.J0sHjBPHU1EgOj8ot-SRNwHaEU%26p

whereas if you ask for it Europe, you'll get this (full disclosure, I knew that but I did ask The Duck for confirmation)

th?id=OIP.H4PJNFpIclMbjj1mz96BrQAAAA%26p

Course, they also don't know a bonnet is a woman's hat, a boot is a man's shoe and a dicky is, well...not a seat! 😉

12 hours ago, Max4Me said:

...As for the "reverse oscillating framistan" are you sure it isn't actually the differentiated hertinizer module? (Sorry, couldn't resist.😁)

You must be thinking of the 1943 model.  The hertinizer became obsolete with the introduction of the all-new 1944 Whatsitmobile SuperTurbo Belchfire 16 with Framistan Technology.  Due to WW2 gasoline (petrol in Europe 😁) rationing, the framistan used alternate fuel, namely methane produced by domestic animals.  But the poor critters couldn't keep up with demand and more and more drivers trying to find fuel in rural farm areas created traffic problems there.  It also defeated the purpose of rationing which was to conserve rubber (tires) rather than gas.  Framistan production was prohibitively expensive but Whatsit Motors LLC staked everything on it.  With the postwar lifting of gas rationing, the technology became obsolete.  Whatsit went bankrupt and permanently closed its doors in late-1945.  The abandoned plant is seriously deteriorated but its remains still stand in Southeast Podunk.  Just a handful of Belchfires survive with only serial number 102 being unmodified.  It is owned by a huge livestock operation so fuel is no problem.  All the others have been converted to gasoline use. 

• 3 months later...