What is your "guilty pleasure" car?

Jaybokay

Right then, I'm sure that all of you here enjoy the unusual, so I'd thought I'd pose this question. What is the one car that you absolutely love and would love to own, but most of the world disagrees? I'm talking about the misfits, the ones that for whatever odd reason have very bad reputations. Go on then, spill the beans. This'll be fun!

As for me, it would have to be the Hillman Imp (with the Californian version being especially tasty). It was a technologically brilliant gem of a car from the Rootes Group with cute and quirky styling to boot. Unfortunately, the car wasn't built as well as it should have been because it was mostly assembled by ex-shipbuilders from Glasgow. A real shame because it absolutely should have run circles around the Austin/Morris Mini in terms of both performance and popularity.

fetch?id=1827611&d=1585611176                                                                                               fetch?id=1827612&d=1585613196

The other REALLY WEIRD car I would love to own as of now (even though it may not necessarily be bad), is a GAZ (Russian: Го́рьковский автомоби́льный заво́д or Gorkovsky Avtomobilny Zavod transliterated). To be precise, a GAZ M-21 "Volga". This was a middle manager's type car that would have originally been supplied to important civilians in the USSR. They were readily available in both Hungary and Poland, so I have a deep relationship with this car as a result. Unfortunately, due to Soviet cars being basically worthless from the fall of the Union until about five years ago, the amount of surviving examples has greatly diminished. *Sad Magyar noises*

fetch?id=1829924&d=1586798614fetch?id=1829925&d=1586798648fetch?id=1829926&d=1586798665

How about you all?

• Like 1

Any year Triumph Mayflower.  I just love the knife edge design and it looks like a Rolls Royce that was left out in the rain and shrunk.

download.jpg

Not sure about being guilty about any of them other than a few I don't drive much and they should be run more. A dream car that seems out of reach is another thing. I've posted this before but my choice has not changed. A 1911 Stoddard Dayton roadster with a 50 HP E head engine. One was featured in, If memory serves me right, The Antique Automobile in the July -August issue of 1974 that was once owned by the Scripps- Booth family. I had chassis one time but no motor, transmission or radiator. Parts are extremely scarce for these cars and I searched for about 10 or 15 years without much luck. I finally decided to sell the remains and hope that a complete car would come my way someday. Here is a 1913 Stoddard-Dayton. The owners of the chassis before I had it said it had a Knight sleeve valve engine and I believe it was a 1912 so a slightly different body style. this was a 70 HP Brass Era beauty. The stuff dreams are made of.

IMG_2385.thumb.JPG.73b17b9467bd6d96415a808bf6cd4aed.JPGIMG_2386.thumb.JPG.3c134ae59c4d3c11274bad301cf817f7.JPG    

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)

14 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I assume this thread is like telling the world your favorite band is Led Zeppelin when it’s really the BeeGees? 

A Randell Gremlin or Dodge Wayfarer or Pierce.

Actually,  those are semi cool, my real guilty pleasure car is a Saab Sonnet.

image.thumb.jpeg.737bda7fb6542476a0235e7bf6939b35.jpeg

I always wondered how a Lead Zeppelin flew? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dandy Dave said:

I always wondered how a Lead Zeppelin flew? 

One of my fascinations as a kid were Zeppelins and Dirigibles.   And if you didn't know the difference I assumed you were a dummy.

The best part of this thread,  is going to be when somebody lists their guilty pleasure as someone else's dream car.

1932-1938 Pierce-Arrow Twelve Performance | HowStuffWorks

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I always liked the Saab Sonnet, but I could not fit the wife and 2 kids in one so I drove Saab 2 door hatchbacks from 1975 thru 2008.

I owned a 1975 Saab Wagonback (first of the 2 door hatchbacks), 2 1986 900 Turbos (one at a time). and last was a 1992 900 Turbo.  The 1992 was the best car I ever owned.

1290982774_1992Saab.png.d53b522f39abcbe8ea0b8418856c2e5a.png

Edited by Vila (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The mostly forgotten Pinto Pangra. Really not a bad car apart from the "road hugging weight " A couple were shown at my local Ford dealer when they were new, and I kind of liked them. { Buying parts for my 1966 Mustang of course. } But too heavy, too expensive for the early 1970's market.

Even Lotus Cortina's were a hard sell in North America.

Jaybokay, as you are probably aware, Imps can be real giant killers in Vintage Racing.  And they were very good sellers in the U.K. market. A very sweet Coventry Climax derived engine.

Greg in Canada

untitledpinto.png

39455.jpg

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 1

In 2017 I said screw it and blew $51k on a '70 Chevelle SS396 which had just undergone a three year frame-off restoration. When I was in high school a rich kid in my class had one exactly like this and of course I didn't have that kind of money back then. I owned it for a little over a year but every time I drove it I was worried about a pebble chipping the paint or whatever so I sold it to a classic car dealer in Michigan who listed it at $74,900 and sold it in less than a month....

478B7974-99D3-40BD-B862-77AA3E2314CB.jpeg

• Like 2

It is worth mentioning that I quite like a lot of American cars too, not just weird foreign stuff (as I do drive a Studebaker after all). My top American "guilty pleasure" right now would be a Kaiser Dragon. It is like the Rodney Dangerfield of collector cars for me. It just can't get no respect! 

kaiser Archives | ClassicCarWeekly.netClassicCarWeekly.net

• Like 4

Right then, I'm sure that all of you here enjoy the unusual, so I'd thought I'd pose this question. What is the one car that you absolutely love and would love to own, but most of the world disagrees? I'm talking about the misfits, the ones that for whatever odd reason have very bad reputations. Go on then, spill the beans. This'll be fun!

If I understand your question you are asking about cars that didn't sell well and had a misunderstood reputation, this one fits the bill. The Ford Model K, so bad that Ford never made a six cylinder car again unit the 1940's. Bob  

07-Ford-Model-K_DV_11-GC_03.jpg

I actually think those guys that build "bombs", a largely Hispanic, So Cal thing that pops up here and there, have some interesting stuff.  They usually run stock drivetrains, lowered is common, creative paint jobs and EVERY factory or aftermarket item you can think of gets hung onto the car.  Ideal "bombs" range from late 30s to early 50s.  So a little different than the low rider guys or hot rodders.  Most of these cars could be easily restored down the road.  

edfd942fd4b2a04bd43e6cbfb90263cb.jpg

Edited by Steve_Mack_CT (see edit history)
  • Like 1

There are three cars that fit this category for me, all from the '50s.

Studillac:

stude.jpg.1f27af9fd28254c040b34a1604391657.jpg

Caddy Seville

seville.jpg.d8292107c6f790ebf96f38883536dc45.jpg

and Facel Vega (4 spd/AC)

fv.jpg.cafa51c6003eb937dad594a37e06d0db.jpg

But my next car will probably be a C5 6 speed or an XLR.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, padgett said:

There are three cars that fit this category for me, all from the '50s.

Studillac:

stude.jpg.1f27af9fd28254c040b34a1604391657.jpg

Caddy Seville

seville.jpg.d8292107c6f790ebf96f38883536dc45.jpg

and Facel Vega (4 spd/AC)

fv.jpg.cafa51c6003eb937dad594a37e06d0db.jpg

But my next car will probably be a C5 6 speed or an XLR.

There is nothing guilty about Facel Vega,  especially one of the ultra rare 4 speed cars.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, alsancle said:

I assume this thread is like telling the world your favorite band is Led Zeppelin when it’s really the BeeGees? 

A Randell Gremlin or Dodge Wayfarer or Pierce.

Actually,  those are semi cool, my real guilty pleasure car is a Saab Sonnet.

image.thumb.jpeg.737bda7fb6542476a0235e7bf6939b35.jpeg

a real Saab 93 Monte Carlo would really float the proverbial boat. 

Something which is buried in the shed - the roof just visible in the shed shot taken just a few days ago - is a Skoda 1200. The model was current 1952-55 but the wagon versions remained in production past 1960. By the standard of today it was grossly underpowered - in its original form it made 36 bhp from 1221 cc - an alloy block wet liner ohv four. 

The other photo is a sample to give an idea of its appearance.  

A few were sold in NZ - we had had a Skoda dealer since just post WW2 but later models were sold here - as were Ladas - as part of a three way deal that enabled the East to pay for the dairy products it brought from NZ.

The 1200 was quite advanced in many respects, especially when compared to the British cars prevalent on the road at the time. Its chassis features date back to pre WW2 - a backbone tube frame with fully independent suspension - a transverse leaf front spring and swing axle rear. Because of its cold country origins it came with a blind in front of the radiator which could be wound up and down. The hood and trunk open from inside the cabin making them more secure. It has flow through ventilation - as well as opening vent windows front and rear. It has  bench seats front and rear and columns shift - four speed - though no synchro on low - making it a full six seater. The main advantage of the suspension system is that it rides well on poor roads.

Another advance feature is the flush door handles - something not many cars have. I know someone who has an early Ferrari with a Farina body that has the same feature.

The car we have was bought as my mother's car in 1968 and remained in use until she bought a later one about ten years later. It was resurrected again in the early '80s for my the n partner to drive to college. It was put away again and my then 15 year old son gave it an engine overhaul but discovered that it needed the sills rebuilt  - what you guys in the US call 'rocker panels' ? He now has those skills and just needs to get on with it.

I am guessing but I suspect there are very few of these surviving in right hand drive from.

IMG_0417 a.JPG

Skoda_1200.jpg

If I had the extra cash to pick up, pun intended, one of these and the space, I would be all over it.

Drove one for a few years as a kid and it never let me down. It was virtually gutless but it always started and ran great.

You can do 90% of the maintenance with a 10mm, a pair of pliers and a screwdriver.

Some days I think maybe I shouldn't have ditched it for the '75 Camaro I replaced it with.

That's a '72 Datsun PL521 Pickup, BTW.

1972-Datsun-Pickup-For-Sale.jpg

But I already own a car most don't want to own or don't know about.

Who the heck wants the headache of owning a Rickenbacker?

Edited by zepher (see edit history)
  • Like 1

"Guilty Pleasure" I always think of as something you are not supposed to do or have, but a little taste won't hurt! Like having a shot of nice single malt whiskey from a $500 bottle, oooh so good, but too pricey to be able to enjoy more than one or two at a time. I still vividly remember getting the chance to jump behind the wheel of a new friend's brand new Austin Healy 3000 (a gift from his grandmother) in fall of 1964 during university days and running it through the gears on a twisty rural road. I was driving a 1960 Consul at the time, like comparing a pair of alligator shoes to the box they came in. Another time I was filling up and a guy I sort of knew pulled up at next pump with a genuine mid-sixties red Cobra 427, I commented on what a great car they were. He said "want to take a spin around the block". Talk about a rush.  So "guilty pleasures" should be not something you can achieve on your own, but something you just get to have a taste of now and then. Haven't had one for a while, maybe it's time to start looking again. 

Ref FV 4 speed, just look to any early 60s Chrysler.

BTW when and where I grew up, AH 3000s and MB SL190s were considered graduation presents for daughters. I had a XK-150s (also had a RHD MGA with a transistor radio they shared. Still have whitworth wrenches.

jagmg.jpg

in '70s had a gaggle of Corwairs. Favorite was a 65 Corsa 'vert with a Quadrajet and trombones. Also had a Fitch Sprint turbo. Havd a 66 Monza 'vert a decade ago but too hard to AC.

I love pretty much everything with wheels. Take a look at my websites- I'm known as El Camino Billy, a nickname I was given at age 15 that has stuck for 20 years now. They have a certain (poor) reputation but I couldn't care less about any of that. Even among El Caminos, the kind I want is the 1973-77 model, generally considered the least desirable. Not to me! 

But Guilty Pleasure? 

2v292DSLmx2zUmm.jpg

In four doors, please. I still remember the first time I ever saw an Edsel...it was in Danbury CT, and it was getting onto I-84 as we were getting off, to go to a card show at the mall. This would have been circa 1996...the car was pink! I wasn't into it at the time. As I got older, and wiser (presumably) I realized how awesome Edsels really were. 

I also have a fondness for oddities and microcars. I'm not sure I could fit into one, (I hit my head on our Ford Aerostar!) but I love them all the same:

2v2Ey7gZdx2zUmm.jpg

I'm pretty sure I've only ever seen 5 Crosleys in my entire life, 2 of which were in the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg museum.

As to the Amphicar...yes! My brother and I saw one in the Hudson River at last year's Classics on the Hudson car show. Now he even wants one, and he's not into cars like I am. 

My problem is I love too much. I want to collect them all. That's not possible, so I set out to take as many pictures of cars as I possibly can. 

• Like 2