What is your "guilty pleasure" car?

Jaybokay

3 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Still thinking, can't come up with an ugly car I'd want in the driveway. Bob 

As trite as it may appear, what's ugly to you really may be someone else's beautiful. Even then, I'd like the own the Imp knowing full well that its ugly to me because it has plenty of other properties that make owning it worthwhile.

Just now, Jaybokay said:

As trite as it may appear, what's ugly to you really may be someone else's beautiful. Even then, I'd like the own the Imp knowing full well that its ugly to me because it has plenty of other properties that make owning it worthwhile.

Funny the IMP Cyclecar was one I was going to mention. Still thinking of my final pick. Bob 

OIP.jpg

The 1939 Buick Special.  Many have complained about the cooling.  Some have called it "pinched nose" while I think it is beautiful, maybe the most beautiful of all time (so long as they have the optional fender lights -- otherwise they are homely).  The two piece driveshaft was said to be completely junk by many, and in fact many Buick Dealer mechnics nick-named it the "jackshaft" (guess they were referring to the unknown designer) while the real name was "front propeller shaft".  There must have been some truth in that since Buick Division when back to one-piece in 1940.  That said, if true, they never learned their lesson since 1957 and 1958 had a two piece driveshaft again (and with problems).  No matter to me.  My dad never had that problem in 125,000 miles, and I've never had it that I knew about.  I did have to replace all of the parts when I put in a new clutch in 1967.  Parts were very hard to find then and still are.  I just started collecting those parts, all of which are one year only on the Special and Century. The was Buick's female version of the mascular designs 1937-1938 and 1940 pretty much onward.  I've spent 10 years out of my 81 without a 1939 Buick Special that belong to my parents or myself.  Wouldn't be without one.

DSC02228.JPG

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

To me, a "guilty pleasure" is something that you have,or want, that you don't need but want and often get just ,well, because.

I had posted a picture and story about my '99 Jeep TJ on this topic, but on reading the question again where it said about the world disagreeing with you, I deleted the post.Jeeps are popular the world over.

In the 1960's,when my idea of an "old" car changed from something in the late '30's to something in the '20's (after driving a friend's Briscoe), I went looking for a restorable candidate. It had to be something different from a Ford.Everybody had one of those. That's when the '21 Chevy 490 came along.

I was told that they were bad cars, with snappy cone clutches and fragile rear ends.I bought it anyway, because I like Chevies and it wasn't a Ford. I learned about the chemistry knowledge required to deal with the clutch (neat's foot oil to soften the clutch leather, Fuller's earth to absorb the surplus oil) and that properly adjusted,the clutch works just fine. The crown and pinion gears interchange with the Model T, so it wasn't a case of weak parts,but a poorly set up clutch.I learned to shift gears by speed shifting from very low rpms.Double clutching doesn't work.

Although parts are harder to source than a Ford, I've enjoyed owning this one-of-a-kind vehicle.

As a footnote, I've mellowed re my opinion on Fords over the years,especially since marrying the love of my life,who worked at Ford dealers for 50 years !

1921 Chevrolet Roadster Pickup 005.JPG

The Mercury Parklane with the Breezeway window does it for me. It’s like every section of the car was designed by a separate team without knowing what the other teams were doing, then they brought their pieces together. From some angles, it looks like a slightly aerodynamic brick. 

A guy down the street from us had a 1964 in a copper colour. Ungainly styling, but appealing because it’s so odd looking. 

7AF8258C-AA24-4E53-9A52-F436D38A78F0.jpeg

As a high school student my first car was a 1947 Nash 600 sedan. All of my old car buddies said I  should be into the 60s muscle cars but I sort of liked the Nash.  Later I was looking for a 46-48 Ambassador but stumbled upon a '46 Nash 600. I sold it to buy my '26 T Touring but still miss being a Nash owner. If I found the right one I probably would buy another someday. 

20200408_230748.jpg

Edited by ericmac
Typo (see edit history)
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, JBP said:

The Mercury Parklane with the Breezeway window does it for me. It’s like every section of the car was designed by a separate team without knowing what the other teams were doing, then they brought their pieces together. From some angles, it looks like a slightly aerodynamic brick. 

A guy down the street from us had a 1964 in a copper colour. Ungainly styling, but appealing because it’s so odd looking. 

Our next door neighbor had two of these when I was a kid. I liked them then and I still do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, JBP said:

We had a '63 Monterey Custom breezeway four door sedan back then, very nice driving and riding, the rear window a plus.  But, yes, looked like it was a committee-style effort, which essentially it was.  Being almost completely shared with the Ford, their mandate was: "Here's a Ford platform, see what you can do to make it look and feel like a Mercury.   Other than the breezeway top with extended deck and generally Mercury-specific styling, there wasn't dime's worth of difference between that '63 Monterey and the '63 Galaxie 500 four door hardtop that preceded it in the way the car drove, rode or felt overall.   The '64 Parklane or Marauder four door hardtop is the choicest of that series.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ericmac said:

As a high school student my first car was a 1947 Nash 600 sedan. All of my old car buddies said I  should be into the 60s muscle cars but I sort of liked the Nash.  Later I was looking for a 46-48 Ambassador but stumbled upon a '46 Nash 600. I sold it to buy my '26 T Touring but still miss being a Nash owner. If I found the right one I probably would buy another someday.

I was in a similar situation.   My dad bought for me a 49 Plymouth 2 door special deluxe with 9k original miles on it.  Three hundred for the car,  another three for blue paint and WW tires.   I had a love hate relationship with that car.  I loved/appreciated that my dad gave it to me,  and that it was practically brand new for a 30 year old car.  I hated that it was a flat head 6 and was shaped like a pumpkin (as nicknamed by my buddies).   It motivated me to work hard to get my own GTO.  

I never lusted after another later on,  although as I listed in a previous post,  the wayfarer roadster Dodge version,   or the business coupe version would be interesting to me.

1949 Plymouth Special Deluxe 2 door | Richard Spiegelman | Flickr

1949 Plymouth Business Coupe for Sale | ClassicCars.com | CC-1004570

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)

39 minutes ago, alsancle said:

I was in a similar situation.   My dad bought for me a 49 Plymouth 2 door special deluxe with 9k original miles on it.  Three hundred for the car,  another three for blue paint and WW tires.   I had a love hate relationship with that car.  I loved/appreciated that my dad gave it to me,  and that it was practically brand new for a 30 year old car.  I hated that it was a flat head 6 and was shaped like a pumpkin (as nicknamed by my buddies).   It motivated me to work hard to get my own GTO.  

I never lusted after another later on,  although as I listed in a previous post,  the wayfarer roadster Dodge version,   or the business coupe version would be interesting to me.

1949 Plymouth Special Deluxe 2 door | Richard Spiegelman | Flickr

There's an almost identical car to that one above here!!

08st004.jpg

On 4/16/2020 at 2:04 PM, Steve_Mack_CT said:

I actually think those guys that build "bombs", a largely Hispanic, So Cal thing that pops up here and there, have some interesting stuff.  They usually run stock drivetrains, lowered is common, creative paint jobs and EVERY factory or aftermarket item you can think of gets hung onto the car.  Ideal "bombs" range from late 30s to early 50s.  So a little different than the low rider guys or hot rodders.  Most of these cars could be easily restored down the road.  

edfd942fd4b2a04bd43e6cbfb90263cb.jpg

Steve....I used to read Lowrider magazine every month and never told anyone and NEVER showed them to any of my car friends!

Edited by Jeff Perkins / Mn (see edit history)
  • Haha 2

I'll go with 197hd45's choice of a Ford Model K, but with a little different slant.  There are lots of stories about the K: Henry didn't want to build it but Malcomson forced him to; it was a money loser; it was a terrible car; and a whole litany of other complaints.  Rob Heyen in Nebraska has done a tremendous amount of research of original documents.  Malcomson couldn't have forced Henry to build the K, because he'd been forced out of the company before the K got started.  Profits from the K sustained the company while the N, R and S were being produced.  The earliest Ks had serious design flaws, but they were quickly corrected.  People back in the day took long tours in them, documented in local newspaper articles.  Rob had a K touring car like the one in the posted picture; he sold it to get a Model 6-40, which was the K as a sporting roadster instead of a touring car.  It was the cover car on a recent issue of Antique Automobile.  A couple of years ago, there were three Ks on the HCCA's 4-day pre-'16 BBC run in May.  They blew the doors off everything in sight.  Rob got his K touring to 60 mph by GPS, and his 6-40 to over 70.  Bob Trevan in Australia has an early one; despite its design flaws, he describes it as a Model T on steroids.  So what's my guilty pleasure, the under-appreciated car I'd like to own?  A 1906-7 Ford Model 6-40!  But I'd prefer mine in a discreet French gray, instead of Rob's bright red!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

This one is for sale near me.....always wanted one since they were new. The posted price on this one is about 5 times what it is worth although it is rust free.

21687848-B718-42BD-9825-2417671B57B5.jpeg

My dad was talking about finding one of these to be his next vehicle when he lost his battle with cancer. I've had a bit of fondness for them ever since, because every time I see one I think of him. There's a tan one I see locally from time to time. 

10 hours ago, Jeff Perkins / Mn said:

This one is for sale near me.....always wanted one since they were new. The posted price on this one is about 5 times what it is worth although it is rust free.

21687848-B718-42BD-9825-2417671B57B5.jpeg

The interesting part about those Rabbit pickups, is they were a US & Canada offering only, and I believe all were produced at the Pennsylvania VW assembly plant.

And there were lots of VW's that were only available in Mexico and South America markets, and produced in plants there. Besides the first generation Beetle, the Mexican plant did make a water-cooled second generation Type 2.  There is one seen here at local shows.

Craig

1992_VW_Type2.jpg

• Like 1

Right then, I'm sure that all of you here enjoy the unusual, so I'd thought I'd pose this question. What is the one car that you absolutely love and would love to own, but most of the world disagrees? I'm talking about the misfits, the ones that for whatever odd reason have very bad reputations. Go on then, spill the beans. This'll be fun!

Ok, Guess the Model K Ford is too acceptable, here is something that may be more of a misfit that I would give garage space to, a 1910-1915 Bedelia Cycle Car. Brass era, VTwin, Vintage French race car, front engine dragster and Death Trap all rolled up into one narrow easy to store package

8f1c9b148553b796a4f5c38c31831787.jpg

OIPOC5FCWCH.jpg

1914%20Bedelia%20Sanitaire.jpg

• Like 2

A 'guilty pleasure' of sorts, but only in the nicest way: a 1962 Dodge Custom 880.  What makes this oddity of interest was the hurried aspect of its being brought to market under duress by Dodge dealers livid at seeing the downsized, oddly-styled '62 Dodges and initially no 'full-sized' Dodge to sell.    An amalgam of components i.e. 1961 Dodge Polara front clip grafted onto a 1962 Chrysler Newport body plus various carry-overs such as the '61 Dodge instrument panel, etc.    The chassis and powertrain are the typical robust Mopar units shared with Chryslers.  But other than the four door sedan, all other body styles such as the convertible (684) and hardtop station wagons (6-pass - 1174) and (9-pass - 890)  are all relatively low numbers sold and few survivors now.  If you like driving a car to any show, be it a Mopar gathering or general, showing up in a '62 Dodge Custom 880 is a guarantee you will be the ONLY one there and have to field more than one "what the heck Dodge is this?" question.

The 1963-'64 880's are also rather nice and interesting, but received a pleasant but bland restyled front which removed much of the uniqueness of '62. 

Dodge-1962-880-four door hardtop-cropped.jpg

On 4/16/2020 at 7:48 PM, zepher said:

1972-Datsun-Pickup-For-Sale.jpg

I was working for Datsun when these were new. They sold well and had a very good reputation for reliability. 1600cc engine if I remember correctly. I purchased a new 510 2dr that year and put many trouble free miles on it. 

Edited by Fossil (see edit history)

53 minutes ago, Fossil said:

I was working for Datsun when these were new. They sold well and had a very good reputation for reliability. 1600cc engine if I remember correctly. I purchased a new 510 2dr that year and put many trouble free miles on it. 

Yup, they had the 1600cc single overhead cam engine and a 4 speed manual trans.  Overdrive would have been nice.  The only trouble spot, if you could call it that, was the 2nd set of points would sometimes float out of adjustment if you revved it too high.  A Pertronix setup cured that issue.  My guess is that was one of their very first products as it was more of a universal one that you had to use various triggers with to get it to work with whatever you had.  And that was in the late 70's early 80's.

But those little trucks were more reliable than your refrigerator.

• Like 1

I had that same engine in the 510 and can't recall having a points problem. But I don't remember there being a second set of points either.

The one that would be fun to find would be a 810 station wagon. They came with a detuned 240Z engine and would make a great sleeper. 

Bought a new 77 Little Hustler after moving to SD. That was one tough little PU. Rust got most of them. 

240Z Cousin: 1978 Datsun 810 Wagon

Edited by Fossil (see edit history)
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, zepher said:

Yup, they had the 1600cc single overhead cam engine and a 4 speed manual trans.  Overdrive would have been nice.  The only trouble spot, if you could call it that, was the 2nd set of points would sometimes float out of adjustment if you revved it too high.  A Pertronix setup cured that issue.  My guess is that was one of their very first products as it was more of a universal one that you had to use various triggers with to get it to work with whatever you had.  And that was in the late 70's early 80's.

But those little trucks were more reliable than your refrigerator.

I replaced quite a few 510 head gaskets. And at least a couple of warped heads . The SOHC made cam tower alignment fairly critical. Shims were available but could only correct a relatively small amount of warp. But generally quite a decent car. 

Big sellers, but rust was a killer.

Greg in Canada

1 hour ago, 1912Staver said:

I replaced quite a few 510 head gaskets. And at least a couple of warped heads . The SOHC made cam tower alignment fairly critical. Shims were available but could only correct a relatively small amount of warp. But generally quite a decent car. 

Big sellers, but rust was a killer.

Greg in Canada

Most of the head issues I saw in other Datsun 1600s were related to poor cooling system maintenance.

Those engines did not like to be run hot.

That is another reason a 5 speed would have been nice.

Running along on the freeway over 65mph for any length of time would cause the temp to creep up and if you weren't paying attention you could run the engine hot for extended periods and that was not good for those heads.

Along with the little truck I had, there were at least 2 other Datsun 1600s in the extended family (510s) with the same engine and they were dead on reliable as long as you maintained them and didn't abuse them.

Those retained the points setup and they never had any issues with the second set.

Luckily for those of us growing up in Southern Calif, rust was not an issue, so there were plenty to choose from in the used car market.