The Car Which Shall Not Be Named III (1935 Lincoln K)

On 11/6/2021 at 2:03 PM, Matt Harwood said:

...I suppose I need to source another set of exhaust manifolds given how chewed up that hole is--there's not enough meat left to cut any threads and even if there were, the stud would be too big. 

Don't know if I should admit this but I've used black pipe bushings to repair wallowed out threads.   Cut pipe threads into the damaged material and drill and tap the bushing.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Angelfish said:

Don't know if I should admit this but I've used black pipe bushings to repair wallowed out threads.   Cut pipe threads into the damaged material and drill and tap the bushing.  

Seems like that could work.

But it is something I would never have thought about doing. That is one thing I like about these forums: People coming up with simple solutions with common materials to solve odd problems.

• Like 2

While at Hershey last October, I was frustrated that I didn't get much of an opportunity to look for parts that I needed. One of the things that this Lincoln has needed since I bought it was a set of horns. So at Hershey, I tasked my youngest son, Riley, with finding some horns while he was out browsing (he collects pocket watches). I showed him roughly what the horns should look like. He didn't find any perfect matches but he showed me lots of photos of horns that he found along the way, but we didn't buy any. I think he felt like he let me down or something, because unbeknownst to me, he continued to look for horns on eBay after we got home. Imagine my surprise on Christmas morning when I open a box and find two NOS 6V Sparton horns, complete with relay and instructions. He found them and got Melanie to buy them and have them shipped home for a gift. THAT is pretty awesome. All I need to do is devise some mounting brackets, which will be easy. The wiring is already in place and the relay should make it a snap to connect them. Nice!

Even though my kids act like they're not paying attention, sometimes they really are. This was really touching.

20220106_112533.jpg.e7f12cfa5f8748445f92374a670c65f7.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 36

Hi Matt,

I have followed the progression of this thread, and at times I get a strong feeling of deja vu.  I am currently $28,000 into what will likely be a $60k restoration of a $40k (max) car.  I knew up front (and this may be the difference between my situation and yours) that I would be spending more money restoring this car than it will likely ever be worth.  I am doing my restoration because every time I look at this car, my heart melts.  Additionally, the person who gave me the car had a special relationship with it, and I am bound and determined that I will make this car perfect.  Here’s the thing… when I am laying on my back under my car, scrubbing off the old grease, or when I am tearing out a hacked up wiring job… I am as happy as I can be; the more things I fix, the happier I am.

I get joy bringing this car back to life; the more screwed up it is, the more joy I get in fixing it.  Your car is even more beautiful than mine; it is more precious and rare… I cannot help but wonder if simply reframing your relationship with this car will change how you feel about fixing the can of worms that you have been opening bit by bit ever since you owned it. If you can, you need to fall in love with this car for what it is, not for what you expected it to be when you purchased it.   Don’t lose sight of what this car will be when you are done with it.  You will be driving a car that will for the foreseeable future, be bringing happiness to everyone who sees you drive by in it.

I suspect every single person reading this thread understands what I am talking about.  Those of us who have rolled into a gas station and have had an elderly gentleman grin from ear-to-ear seeing a car that they thought they would never see again; or have been honked at as a newer vehicle passed us with everyone grinning and giving us a thumbs-up; or who have walked out of an auto parts store to find six people standing around your car talking about it.

These are the happy moments that are priceless for you, your car, and everyone who sees you on the road with it.  Stop and smell the roses Matt… those things you think are thorns are really gifts dressed up as thorns.

Joe

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I think Joe is on the right track, not just for Matt's car, but for all of our cars. I like to drive my cars to mundane places like the bank drive through or the grocery store. Invariably I have people stopping and gawking.

My favorite stop was at a grocery store.  A man was with his son, who was clearly mesmerized by the sight of a 108 year old car. I asked if the little boy would like to sir behind the wheel. We all know the answer.

Next, I encouraged his dad to take a picture.  I think I created a car guy right there. And that's what it's all about for me. I wish Matt and everyone on this forum similar good times.

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...

Frank Seme at the machine shop called today to bring me up to date and frankly, the news isn't necessarily bad or good. First, some of the valve guides are cracked, which I expected. What I did not expect was for them to be from three different types of engine with a mix-and-match batch of valves to fit, but whatever. We'll track down a correct set of guides and valves from the usual sources and that should all be OK.

More troubling is that Frank feels that the cylinders were not properly honed/finished when it was rebuilt. Instead of a texture on the cylinder walls, they're glass smooth. He agrees that he doesn't think there are a lot of miles on the engine, he just doesn't think the work was done properly. It's possible that it was done when "moly" rings were coming into fashion and you were supposed to make the walls smoother, but he isn't sure what they were doing when it went together. It didn't smoke or appear to have leakdown problems when I drove it or on the stand, but if Frank says there's a problem I'm inclined to listen. He's concerned that once we get the valves to seal, there will be a lot of blow-by past these rings. He wants to pull the pistons and rods and to do that, he has to remove the cylinder blocks. Then he'll hone the cylinders, check the pistons, install new rings, and maybe fresh rod bearings, and button it back up. And as long as he's doing that, he may as well pull the mains and double-check clearances. $$$Cha-ching$$$!

We're literally one step away from the massively expensive rebuild I was trying to avoid and I am fresh out of faith that the rest of the engine is somehow done right. Can it be made right? Sure. What will it take? How much will it cost? Is it worth it or do I scrap the car? I honestly don't know how to make this decision.

I told Frank to go ahead and pull the pistons and cylinder blocks and hone everything and do what he wanted to do on the top end. If the bottom end checks out, then we don't have to mess with it. If it's buggered, well, I guess I get a second job to pay for whatever it needs and forget about driving it until 2024.

The path is never clear or straight, is it?

• Like 5

Sorry you didn't get better news.  The right path is hard to find, difficult to navigate and exhausting to complete but it usually leads to immense satisfaction experienced only by the few that chose said path.  I wish you the best of luck on the rest of your journey!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well, today I got the call I've been dreading: Frank Seme at the machine shop has pulled the engine apart except for the crank and found nothing but bad news. While the plan was to simply hone the cylinders and install new piston rings, when they removed the pistons and rods they found that the rod bearings are shot. Digging deeper, he found that the main bearings aren't much better with most of the babbit material gone and worn down to the copper. Oddly, the one I pulled was the best of the bunch, but it was not great. So that's issue #1.

3-21-22-12.jpg.f8500de31bc5a0821403174a5228dac3.jpg

Look familiar?

3-21-22-1.jpg.ccb5351c20b4bb9c49a8e1e9e322e242.jpg

Pistons and rods pulled.

3-21-22-6.jpg.f79613d87f28d9a6a9660011504d479f.jpg  3-21-22-4.jpg.e700baeba57803060d0139bbb9b5995b.jpg  3-21-22-5.jpg.af88e952b2f662c0ad6d9575f7bfbf12.jpg

Main bearings worn down to the copper. Wish I'd pulled a second one, but I

guess it doesn't matter now.

3-21-22-2.jpg.67689bff634ea74e94d1dd55e74a4d44.jpg  3-21-22-3.jpg.0476d935566e2cc7f38e0707b1f6d7e0.jpg

Rod bearings are definitely cooked.

Issue #2. Perhaps you recall that strange (and faint) clanging sound I heard at the flywheel when I removed the board that was covering it? I thought maybe the starter drive gear wasn't completely disengaging or maybe there was a stray piece of metal in the bellhousing or something. I couldn't find the source of the noise because that's the day that I ultimately bent all the valves and all test runs stopped. Here's a refresher:

Well, we have an answer. The Lincoln K V12 uses a rifle-drilled crank, meaning that the rod journals are drilled for oil circulation. Then they're capped with a kind of expansion plug that's held in place with a bolt. Here's what one looks like when it's properly installed:

3-21-22-7.jpg.0d4522a58919c8b0f6f79a7725bcab55.jpg
Expansion plug installed in rod journal.

One of those plugs worked itself loose and was hitting a connecting rod. That was the sound. There was a catastrophic failure in my future had I started driving the car. So I guess I'm grateful for that, all things considered.

3-21-22-9.jpg.977bf2b7d5cb11ec37d06821b2663144.jpg  3-21-22-8.jpg.a1a44aae1c7daef6df46df0f021b31f5.jpg  3-21-22-10.jpg.01a4fe3f2b620df358307f64e6f4c9f3.jpg

Journal plug working itself loose. Frank said that sometimes it would be fine

and sometimes it would push out so far that it would prevent the engine

from turning over, which they discovered while pulling the rods. It was only a

matter of time...

Frank also noticed on the flywheel side that the bolt holding that plug in place is loose and shiny--which means it has been hitting the transmission input shaft. It has been loose for a long, long time, perhaps since it was first finished and the only reason it didn't let go completely was because the input shaft prevented it from backing out all the way. But it was a ticking bomb nonetheless.

3-21-22-13.jpg.38a674d9f2a18b6c519c054e1771576d.jpg

From the flywheel side, you can see the bolt

holding that plug in place is shiny and worn.

It has been loose for a long, long time.

This was likely also the source of my oil pressure problem. While the new high-volume pump "solved" it, this was the reason why I was struggling with pressure. Hopefully it also means that I'll have awesome oil pressure later when everything is healthy. That regulator might need to be 100% functional after all...

The third issue is whether the cylinders can be saved or if they need to be bored again. You may remember that the engine has been "rebuilt" once before and already had .030" oversize pistons in it, but the cylinder walls were not properly finished. In fact, there's no evidence at all of any cross-hatching, suggesting that whomever rebuilt it didn't really know what they were doing. Frank's theory is that some gas station threw some oversized pistons in it after doing a hand-bore with drill or something, but he doesn't believe the engine has ever been rebuilt in the sense that most experts use the word. So the problem here is that if he has to put yet another over-bore on the cylinders, we'll have to have custom pistons made. I don't know how much that will cost, but I recall that a set of off-the-shelf forged aluminum pistons for an LS1 was about $1500 when I was doing Corvettes 20 years ago. So we'll see if these pistons can be saved and we just get away with just a hone and some fresh rings.

3-21-22-14.jpg.cbccca22f1ba630ceff0583c36e7f518.jpg

Cylinder walls are way too smooth with no

evidence of cross-hatching.

Fourth issue is the valves. While we can probably get replacement valves without a lot of trouble, the cast iron guides are a problem. I broke three of them, but there are three different types in the engine, all from different year K motors. That might be OK and they all should work, but Frank would prefer a matched set just to eliminate variables. He's the boss, so I need to find new valve guides. 

3-21-22-11.jpg.3132fd8a30fcf16e7e3fbb4295d488f5.jpg

Some of the valve guides are buggered and

not all of them match.

Fifth issue is, well, where the hell do I get these parts, especially new rod and main bearings? The Lincoln K uses insert bearings, not babbit, but they obviously aren't off-the-shelf bearings. Frank has the ability to pour his own babbit and says that he could babbit the rods if necessary, but the mains are a different story. Both Frank and I have been contacting our usual list of Lincoln parts suppliers, including my friend at the Canton Classic Car Museum, but they don't have any bearings laying around (why would they?). Valve guides might be easier, but it's the bearings that are going to really be a problem. Does anyone know where I might be able to source some? Someone is rebuilding these engines and getting bearings from somewhere, right? 

So what to do? Well, Frank is burning time so even doing nothing and leaving the engine as a pile of parts is going to cost me a few thousand bucks. I returned from the machine shop and had a long talk with Melanie about options and what we need to do--the only choice now is scrap the car or bankroll a full engine rebuild. Ultimately, we decided that we're going to press forward. I'm going to sell my 1993 Mustang LX 5.0, which I bought new, and use the money to pay for the Lincoln engine. I haven't driven the Mustang in years and I'll use the Lincoln frequently as a tour car, so it kind of makes sense. I'm not particularly happy about the decision and I will admit that this is 100% sunk cost fallacy, not logical. Maybe I'll feel differently in a few days, but that's at least where I am today.

Oh, and problem #6 is that all this is going to take time, probably a lot of it. I definitely won't make the Lincoln celebration at Stan Hywett Hall on Father's Day, and making it to the Lincoln Centennial celebration in Hickory Corners in August is unlikely. This year is probably a total loss and it hasn't even started yet.

My next move is to call a contact in Canada who has an engine for sale (thanks, @mike brady!) and perhaps we can salvage a bunch of parts from it. I have to retrieve it somehow, but he's not far from my family up there so maybe I'll take the Audi ute and visit my in-laws and go buy a spare engine.

s-l640.webp.e6fec8e94bd51e8b14090e02a2271f68.webp

Is this engine potentially a solution to

some of my parts problem?

So that's the long and the short of it. More money, more time, my previous two years' worth of work all for naught, I lose my Mustang, and I'll have maybe $80,000 tied up in a $35,000 car that's still scruffy.

This is the part where you all tell me I'm a fool...

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

This is the part where you all tell me I'm a fool...

Far from me to call you a fool.

On the minus side, I get a pit in my stomach reading about the issues. I can’t imagine what it would feel like if I had to make the decisions you are making.

On the plus side, it seems to me your engine builder really knows his stuff so once he is finished you will have a very reliable engine you can trust.

• Like 5

While I admire your tenacity, in your situation I’d stand back and ask, what will make me happy?

If, every time you drive the Lincoln, you resent the cost and loss, and it’s a pebble in your shoe,then you need to stop, cut bait, sell the car, take your loss.

If every time you drive the Lincoln, it gives you great pleasure, regardless of dollar signs, then proceed. But, great pleasure to overcome disappointments, that’s the key…

The problem is that if you’re heading toward an 80k investment, the end result will be a 100k investment, just how our beloved old cars go.

One has to, at some time, balance expenditure versus pleasure derived.

• Like 7

Hello Matt, before you buy anything please try Lester Harris in Menden  Nevada,he’s and older gentleman who has been been supplying parts since the fifties,I believe Lester is a retired master machinist,,you can get his number if you google it,  good luck.      Dave

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 38Buick 80C said:

I assume you looked at Egge?

First place I looked. They have piston rings, but no pistons and no guarantee that their rings will fit either stock or other aftermarket pistons. No bearings, either. Just valves and maybe valve guides, although I'm in contact with another Lincoln K owner who is looking for valve guides because Egge couldn't supply them even though they're listed in the catalog. Dang.

I’m going to buy you lunch tomorrow.........and shots! See you around 12:30. Best, Ed.

Yes......I am actually buying him lunch on Tuesday......in person. Making a trip to the mistake by the lake.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the spare engine may be the key to moving forward. If it is in good shape it may provide many or most of the parts that you need. If not than maybe it is time to consider replacing the engine with something like the 337 ci flathead engine used in the 49 to 51 Lincoln and Ford trucks during the same time. It would be a better replacement than a SBC.

One question I have is, why can't a specialty foundry/machine shop make the bearings you need? This is probably a stupid question, so I apologize in advance for asking it.

The Hollander Interchange manuals go back to 1934. It might be worth getting ahold of one from the 1930's to see if there is any help there on parts.

Matt, we all wish you well on this. 

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird

• Like 1

What do the valve guides look like? And, is it possible to find original prints? They may not be too difficult to make but I'd think that real precision is necessary so it's not a part that lends itself to reverse engineering.

• Like 1

Matt, I have followed your trials and tribulations with this car from the beginning.  Having said that, I will say this.  

How many fishermen buy a new Bass Boat with the thought of making money on the thing or on the new tow vehicle.  They do not.  But don't they grin when that bass jumps from the water!  Bet there are folks that spend that much money in a couple of years PLAYING GOLF,  with absolutely no return on investment.  Separate your thoughts from making a profit to enjoying your HOBBY.   If you have the wherewithal to continue , just "giter done" , son!

That spare engine may be the way to go. 

Ben

P.S.

Sure would like to be a fly on the wall when Ed buys your lunch!

• Like 10

Matt,

Once done right it will have a great value, albeit not in simple "market return" terms. 

Once I stopped looking at "what do I invest vs. What can I get back" as a maintenance/repair/restoration decision driver my enjoyment factor rose quite a bit.  Understand you are talking fairly significant dollars but it is not a car you will likely see yourself in at most events, including CCCA tours.  That should be satisfying.

Good luck on the continued effort!

• Like 3

Far be if from me to tell another man how to spend his money, but I couldn’t stop at this point.  I would look at it as, since it will still take some time, spreading out the cost.  Sure you will have $80,000 in it, but you aren’t simply paying $80,000 for a $35,000 car.  You will have so much more than a $35,000 car when you are done-that’s the way I see it.  

Also, parking it isn’t your idea of enjoying it, but not driving it saves money otherwise spent while driving it.  Those are costs you are avoiding right now.  Little things.  Little considerations. But they can add up to something.  Again, I realize some wouldn’t look at it this way, but I do.  This one isn’t business.  You aren’t losing anything on the car unless you sell it.  You don’t have to do that.  

When it is done, I would take the “every time you drive it, you should smile and be proud of your work” approach.  

Think of all the great work already done and stories already told, and now the horns add another one.

• Like 6

One last comment, within marque circles, values can be influenced greatly if it is a "known car", i.e. a car that for some reason is understood by those in the know to be a stand out...  

Who buys a $25,000+ Model A sedan?  Usually a MARC/MAFCA guy looking for a points car with little or no repro parts or a proven tour car that has been sorted and set up properly.  Generally not a first timer, unless they have done a lot of research and have a vision.  Same all over - British sportscars, definately MB R107s, etc.  

I am not saying you get $80k back, but if you hold that car a while and it's proven as a top tier tour car one can actually drive, ypu have added value right there.  CCCA, Lincoln club(s), and your own long term repeat customers are three pools to help maximize what you eventually get back.  Someone will appreciate the car and what's under cosmetics. 

Or better yet, your so pleased driving it you just cannot send it down the road.

• Like 7

Matt

Pretty sure the bronze main shells can be be rebabbitted, Maybe these guys can help?

https://theoldmotor.com/?p=47859

or

https://www.kohnkerebabbittingservice.com/recent-jobs.html

See the 28 Hupp. I know Herm passed away, hopefully son John is still doing the same quality of work

No big deal to babbitt the rods if you have to IMHO. Even the inserts run on babbitt, you just don't get the convenience of a quick bearing service!

Ross Pistons doesn't seem to have any problem providing rings for their custom pistons.

Brad

• Like 2

Matt the main bearings were actually Babbitt and line bored as well as the cam bearings. On the rods what people do now is use 7.3 Ford diesel rod bearing, you have to resize the rods for the caps and then you can grind the crack to fit the rod bearing. Do not Babbit your rod bearings. They’re supposed to be a insert harder bearings. For valves and valve guides I would go through Ferria. It’s a little expensive but you get what you pay for. I would not buy anything from Egge, especially Pistons. On other engines we’ve had issues with their Pistons, smoking I just don’t like them. My opinion. I would try Ross piston in Southern California I’m guessing they’re gonna be a couple hundred bucks apiece maybe $250 ea.  I don’t know everything‘s going up right now.  You might also try Arias in Southern California, both places are a couple of blocks apart. I talk to them a couple of years ago and it’s some thing they can do fairly easy. my engine is .060 inches oversize so you’ve got another .030” to go.

my 2 cents

L

• Like 3

I'll defer to AB-buff on the rod issue since he actually owns one and sticking with 'as designed' is never a bad idea!  After all, 'Ask the man who owns one' isn't just an advertising slogan

That said, there was a lot of 'polite' discussion about poured vs insert babbitt durability back when Herm was posting . Herm had some pretty strong feelings on that front.

I'm not certain if the 'industry's  switch to inserts was the higher compression 'pounding' issue or an ease of manufacture/convenience of repair issue.

Before I completely derail Matt's post by resurrecting that discussion, there are many good posts to search if you want to see if a bearing engineer ever weighed in on the issue!

Now if this were a tractor and I was its mechanic......

Matt I forgot to mention. Whoever does your Crankshaft, all of those plugs need to be removed and cleaned out thoroughly my guess is this car sat around for a while maybe during the 80s and 90s and all of that old non-detergent crappy oil that we used to buy settled in those journals. It’s like a centrifuge and it’s held in there. Then somebody put in new modern oil and when it warmed up all that dirt came loose and wasted those bearings. It’s lucky it’s survived and didn’t lock up, they usually lock up in a short time.  So make sure that’s thoroughly cleaned I would also recommend finding somebody that does a nice job on balancing before you put everything back together. It’s well worth the money. After it’s broken in you could run any type of oil if you’d like it. I run full synthetic. And no It’s not gonna waste the cam. We’re not looking at 800 pounds of valve spring pressure. It’s only about 80 to 120 it’s so it’s not a problem. I’m a stickler for details just keep looking for a little tiny things it will come up and bite you in the butt in the end. The one you miss will be the one you get you. Make sure it’s clean before and during assembly.

L

• Like 1

I used to run marathons for fitness and relaxation.  Training for the Boston Marathon one morning we were out for a short (7 mile) run and the weather was absolutely miserable,  a wet slushy rain, water over the tops of our shoes, 33 degrees and did I mention slush? I turned to my running buddy and said "what in the hell are we doing out here?" He responded, "building character for when we need it most." Six weeks later while suffering in the hills of Boston he looked at me and said "at least there's no slush." We finished the race strong. 

Matt, I have no idea what sort of character you are building related to this car but after your marathon restoration I have no doubt you will have it when you need it.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Add to all of the above - I have seen Matt and his wife Melanie, and their great kids at annual meetings of car clubs , the one I recall the best is one in Georgia hosted by a "club that shall not be named " ( I have had the bad tidings/experience with the club and left) and at that event you saw one very happy family. When the Lincoln sedan is up and on the road , that happiness will be there as all of you will go down the road to an event, or tour or even out for some ice cream ( the Harwood  kids are very will mannered and don't drip ice cream!!! on old Lincoln upholstery ) and that moment and many more like it will be what you will think of for a very very long time.

• Like 9

This thread reminds me of how hard (in an extreme example) it is to sort a car.   A friend and I were talking the other day that the market doesn't know understand or value the 5% of the cars that are really sorted correctly.   This is related to what Steve said a few posts ago,  but the sorting is different than a high level club award which is really fit/finish/details.   Not "can the car drive 1000 miles?".

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Walt G said:

Add to all of the above - I have seen Matt and his wife Melanie, and their great kids at annual meetings of car clubs , the one I recall the best is one in Georgia hosted by a "club that shall not be named " ( I have had the bad tidings/experience with the club and left) and at that event you saw one very happy family. When the Lincoln sedan is up and on the road , that happiness will be there as all of you will go down the road to an event, or tour or even out for some ice cream ( the Harwood  kids are very will mannered and don't drip ice cream!!! on old Lincoln upholstery ) and that moment and many more like it will be what you will think of for a very very long time.

Walt, you wouldn't recognize them any more. Those little kids are 16 and 13 now. They're both taller than I am!

• Like 1